Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Old 01-22-20, 07:33 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Was at the Bike shop today, very close to pulling the deal. They did recommend going tubeless.
Old 01-23-20, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by jsilvia
Was at the Bike shop today, very close to pulling the deal. They did recommend going tubeless.
from what I've read, I haven't justified the switch for myself. I'm fine at my performance level. & the pressures I run work fine. no pinch flats & the tires/tubes stay put, meaning I don't see my schrader valves moving/tilting etc

think I've found a good compromise, for myself, for where & how I ride, for this bike & these 2.25 WTB Riddlers. 21 psi front 25 psi rear. they seem to absorb shock well enough, provide enough flotation for typical soft stuff (not everything of course but it's not a fat bike so I'm learning my limitations) & decent speed on the good quality flowy sections

tried to find 2 frames of the same tire at 21psi the same day & ride where it is compressed & also running without compression, like just a flat good section

tried to make a clip highlighting my tire pressure front/rear

I've ridden a bit too low & heard weird sounds as I rolled over ground obstacles, like tree parts that were broken off but still firmly planted in the ground, but the tires didn't tear or puncture. not 100% sure what was going on with that, maybe too low? maybe that's just a trail to avoid? maybe the pressure was OK & the tires were able to deform just enough to get me by w/o shock or damage, but made weird sounds. like I said I'm no authority. I have been in situations where I suddenly realized the benefit of a "dropper post" (& rear suspension) but I'm not going back to that section or those kinds of trails

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-24-20 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 02:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Super Bowl Sunday, got out for a snowy loop around East Head Pond Trail (foot trail on the studded mountain bike) it kept my attention & was entertaining. beautiful & quiet
https://www.friendsmssf.com/Trails.html

after the loop around the little lake, took a spin on the paved trails. it was all good until it wasn't. one part had some fresh powder over hard flat ice. observed the ground in closeup view & figured I'd call it a day. out and about for a solid 2 hrs. uppers 20s, light wet snow

some roads are maintained thru the winter some are not. hmmm which shall I ride on?

several inches of fresh powder over ice. a bit tricky, yes?

EDIT: schools closed in Carver Monday morning

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-29-22 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-13-22, 08:21 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Next time you are out there contact me. I still have not ridden out there, looked like a good time.
Likes For jsilvia:
Old 02-14-22, 04:27 AM
rumrunn6

Next time you are out there contact me. I still have not ridden out there, looked like a good time.
ok, thought of you as I was strapping my bike to the car. didn't know I was going for sure, right up to a cpl hrs before leaving. Wifey was working on me to stay home the night before & early am
Old 02-14-22, 01:32 PM
rumrunn6

I realize/remember why I have no saved video of the trail around the lake, from the previous trip. w/ little exception, it is a foot trail, covered in roots & rocks & my cam has ZERO image stabilization

managed to find a few clips that weren't too bad. had the cam going when I went down, at about the 8 minute mark. powder over ice got me again. aside from that, it was a lovely ride out in the forest w/ water views during some light snow

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-29-22 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-02-22, 04:41 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I recently did a century from Seekonk High School to Plymouth and passed through Myles Standish state forest on the southern route back. It was a pure road ride but I got to see a lot of the power line access roads and doubletrack trails going into the forest and they looked really nice. The area is huge and at least from what I could see not super technical although it's hilly so there could be significant elevation change. Looks very appealing to me IE no 10 foot drops, no technical rocky 50% grade descents or craziness like you see on MTB videos. I love MTB but boy do I not like the hardcore style. This looks more pleasant XC with some decent climbs so you could probably do it with a rigid, gravel cyclocross or non suspension type rig.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 04-02-22, 05:40 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
I recently did a century from Seekonk High School to Plymouth and passed through Myles Standish state forest on the southern route back. It was a pure road ride but I got to see a lot of the power line access roads and doubletrack trails going into the forest and they looked really nice. The area is huge and at least from what I could see not super technical although it's hilly so there could be significant elevation change. Looks very appealing to me IE no 10 foot drops, no technical rocky 50% grade descents or craziness like you see on MTB videos. I love MTB but boy do I not like the hardcore style. This looks more pleasant XC with some decent climbs so you could probably do it with a rigid, gravel cyclocross or non suspension type rig.
You'd better check the legality of riding on the power line access roads. I don't believe it is allowed.
Old 04-03-22, 06:44 PM
Attilio

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You'd better check the legality of riding on the power line access roads. I don't believe it is allowed.
I am almost completely sure it is not allowed however there are some factors that make it practical for riding trails.

Been doing it a while it's not a problem. You are fast enough, quiet enough and subtle enough that it's very difficult to get caught. Law enforcement doesn't frown upon MTB per se (motorized vehicles or illegal hunting YES) because those on bicycles are seen as upstanding people and another set of eyes whose presence discourages other worse, more illegal things.

Also there are very few people out there. Yes now the power companies have patrols in SE MA but all they can do is tell you to get out. This is what other cyclists have told me. Again MTB is not seen as destructive. Police sometimes patrol with their ATV's but only weekends and during daylight hours. I like to ride very early in the AM or at night and nobody is out there then. In order for the cops to come after they need to get their ATV's out they're not going to do that at 8pm or 6am. So a lot of factors have to align to get you in trouble, people out there who don't want you to be there that actually are alerted to your presence, authorities catching up to you in time that you don't duck into some side trails and a general vengefulness almost never seen against cycling. If used as a shortcut or to vary up your riding, you're not out there for hours on end, and you're not making a ruckous it's fine. Look where distribution stations are though as they have cameras, that can lead to issues.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 04-04-22, 06:06 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
I am almost completely sure it is not allowed however there are some factors that make it practical for riding trails.

Been doing it a while it's not a problem. You are fast enough, quiet enough and subtle enough that it's very difficult to get caught. Law enforcement doesn't frown upon MTB per se (motorized vehicles or illegal hunting YES) because those on bicycles are seen as upstanding people and another set of eyes whose presence discourages other worse, more illegal things.

Also there are very few people out there. Yes now the power companies have patrols in SE MA but all they can do is tell you to get out. This is what other cyclists have told me. Again MTB is not seen as destructive. Police sometimes patrol with their ATV's but only weekends and during daylight hours. I like to ride very early in the AM or at night and nobody is out there then. In order for the cops to come after they need to get their ATV's out they're not going to do that at 8pm or 6am. So a lot of factors have to align to get you in trouble, people out there who don't want you to be there that actually are alerted to your presence, authorities catching up to you in time that you don't duck into some side trails and a general vengefulness almost never seen against cycling. If used as a shortcut or to vary up your riding, you're not out there for hours on end, and you're not making a ruckous it's fine. Look where distribution stations are though as they have cameras, that can lead to issues.
I don't think "not getting caught" equates to "legal".
Old 04-04-22, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

w/ these guys running around no one will bother a guy on a bicycle. (plus any exclusions may not include bicycles)

the power lines on Cape Cod only have signage for "motorized vehicles"
jump to 7:51
or just enjoy this screen grab

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-06-22, 04:39 PM
Attilio

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't think "not getting caught" equates to "legal".
No but it's a more grey area in that it's not enforced nor frowned upon by the authorities. Again it's highly variable because more than a few powerlines locally also have part of parks or trail systems for hiking on them that pass through or even rely upon the access road itself for the powerlines as part of their trail so then it really muddies the water.

I know for sure from the town I live in and several neighboring municipalities from personally knowing officials including police that they don't care for hiking and MTB at all and they only crack down on motorized vehicles. They just... don't care. I also know my town's mayor who says as much and even verbalized that locals in search of something to do won't be harassed in those areas as long as they behave respectfully.

So in general there is no one set policy. It's probably less than legal in most places but it all depends on the location. Regardless of law a bicycles combination of speed and stealth is a huge help to reach remote areas and remain un-harassed where others are unlikely to be. Very grateful to have this tool in these times. Very grateful I was into the outdoors even before COVID!
Old 04-27-22, 02:19 PM
rumrunn6

the bike will be out of the shop in 2 weeks & I'll be looking for pay-back, for the slam, from the forest ;-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-27-22, 03:06 PM
jsilvia

Give me a call or a P.M, when you are ready to ride. I've been riding on Cape on Saturdays with N.E.M.B.A. fun trail rides.
Likes For jsilvia:
Old 04-27-22, 06:55 PM
rumrunn6

Give me a call or a P.M, when you are ready to ride. I've been riding on Cape on Saturdays with N.E.M.B.A. fun trail rides.
oh excellent, there ya go! look forward to hearing about it
Old 05-13-22, 06:56 PM
rumrunn6

printed a fresh tiled sheet using 6 8.5x11s taped together from the PDF link on this page
started w/ a single 8.5x11 but it just wasn't large enough
EDIT: when I arrived at the park, the map box had a fresh supply of large maps the same size as what I printed

if anyone wants to meet me in a bout 12 hrs at approx. 184 Cranberry Rd., Carver, MA. hoping it's foggy & a little creepy

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-15-22 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 05:13 PM
rumrunn6

got up & out for a return from February. started w/ a loop a round the lake approx. 4 1/2 miles then went in search of the power lines, so headed East, made a wrong turn South but then came back North & East & found the power lines. followed them North to the paved bike trail, back South to the HQ parking area. almost 17 miles & over 2 hrs of active cycling. which is a lot for me especially in today's heat & humidity

I like the variety of trail surfaces one can ride on

almost bathing suit weather

made it to the power lines, after a break for a cpl years, for miles & miles of fast rocky fun

nice big park. didn't see too many ppl out on the trails, even if there were way more than in February. of course going early helps

the paved trails are really beautiful but might be challenging to little kids due to all the ups & downs. the level twists are certainly pleasant & fun

since I had a cpl destinations I wanted to hit, I skipped a favorite single track: the Pine Barrens Path. the signage is so good it was easy to find. I shud go back just for this trail. maybe start down around South Line Road, below the Charge Pond camping area. maybe before camping season really kicks in? maybe park at the P5 lot. today there was a park employee stationed at the circled area at Charge Pond Rd under Fearing Pond giving directions to multiple ppl, in cars. I guess it's a popular wrong turn. she was able to pinpoint my location. very helpful

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-19-22 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 05:14 PM
rumrunn6

re: cycling prohibition on the gas line trail. just no motors. the power lines had no signage

a cpl sections around the lake required walking up

& frankly it wouldn't hurt to skip the first section on the west side of the lake & go straight on the road, past the trail closed sign, the beginning of the detour is at the 1st crosswalk

after the detour, it gets more flowy

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-15-22 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 08:16 PM
rumrunn6

the old abandoned roads are still there

the maintained roads are fairly busy & not extra wide
got some edits down to 7 minutes. hopefully this isn't too boring. it's more stable now that I'm using a sportcam w/ image stabilization

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-17-22 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-16-22, 11:36 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
printed a fresh tiled sheet using 6 8.5x11s taped together from the PDF link on this page
started w/ a single 8.5x11 but it just wasn't large enough
EDIT: when I arrived at the park, the map box had a fresh supply of large maps the same size as what I printed

if anyone wants to meet me in a bout 12 hrs at approx. 184 Cranberry Rd., Carver, MA. hoping it's foggy & a little creepy
That's the official DCR trail map and it's pretty good. I wish DCR would use different colors to denote trail use, rather than dashes, that's my only quip about it. Using their map I was able to navigate without any problems this past Sunday - the intersections and the gates are all well marked with red signs.

I just did 19 exploratory miles this past Sunday as an impromptu trip, from P7 south on Bare Hill to HQ, north on College Pond/trails to east entrance/P4, then south on the 'difficult' Pine Barrens trail - well, as much as I could bare. Somehow the quality of these pics didn't turn out all that great.

Bare Hill Road, pretty good for road cycling. Or burnouts, apparently.

This little dude was on road, I moved him/her to the grass.

The paved bike trails were not to my liking. Too many turns, too many ups and downs (with sharp turns on a downhill), and worst of all, too many divots, root heaves, and irregularities. I opted to go either on paved or unpaved roads. Maybe more fun on a MTB with bigger tires and more nimble steering.

This is shortly at the start of the Pine Barrens path in the north. Perfect doubletrack!

Heaven!

Solid going.

Then thing started to get sandy. This was just north of Priscilla road. I was on 40mm tires and struggling, plus the sun came out and I managed to leave ALL of my water in the car. Ugh! I bailed on Pine Barrens and took East Line Road south - it was slow going with deep sand in spots, averaging about 8mph. I rode it until it met up with Halfway Pond road at which point I attempted to ride the Barrens again.

Last edited by autonomy; 05-16-22 at 11:39 AM.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-16-22, 11:36 AM
autonomy

Continued due to image limit

This is where it turned into type II fun.

Basically, a narrow singletrack of mostly loose sand and rocks with pines on the side. Push-a-bike galore, except in many places you could only push from the rear.

I was really glad when this stuff ended. I did see some more ruts from narrow tires and had a bit of morale boost thinking that someone else was as crazy as me. I ended up bailing earlier than I hoped as I was really tired from fighting the sand and started getting parched. Rode back to P7 and ate my lunch at the Rocky Pond Bog down from the trailhead.
It took me about an hour to ride 10 miles from P4 to Pine Barrens, and about 1:15 to ride 5 miles of Pine Barrens and sandy backroads back to pavement. I definitely wished I had my 2in GravelKings with me at 35PSI (and even then, likely still underbiking in that sand). It wasn't busy at all in the park, even on the paved sections. Saw only 3 people on horses in the Pine Barrens section. Lots of nice, secluded spots.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-16-22, 02:08 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
everything he said
YES! so glad you went & shared all this! impressed you traveled on some of those rough trails w/o a mountain bike. I agree about those paved trails, they're not the Minuteman, that's for sure! haha there's such a crazy amount of varied trails one can cover. trying to portray it all is a daunting task. also, because decisions can be spontaneous, it's a good park to ride solo so long as you keep track of where you are, hehe. another thought, if one has an "incident" mechanical or an injury, one might be in for a long trip back to civilization. thanks again for sharing!!
Old 05-16-22, 03:15 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
YES! so glad you went & shared all this! impressed you traveled on some of those rough trails w/o a mountain bike. I agree about those paved trails, they're not the Minuteman, that's for sure! haha there's such a crazy amount of varied trails one can cover. trying to portray it all is a daunting task. also, because decisions can be spontaneous, it's a good park to ride solo so long as you keep track of where you are, hehe. another thought, if one has an "incident" mechanical or an injury, one might be in for a long trip back to civilization. thanks again for sharing!!
Yup! I have been meaning to make it out here for a looong time, your posts have inspired me. This place turned out to be way bigger than I thought (that's always my problem with maps). I am starting a collection of 'isolated' off-road rideable places and this definitely has a bunch on those side roads.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-17-22, 04:02 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
This place turned out to be way bigger than I thought (that's always my problem with maps). I am starting a collection of 'isolated' off-road rideable places and this definitely has a bunch on those side roads.
oh yeah, it's a smorgasboard. sometimes I feel silly keeping my rides there contained & planned. but it's been a good way to take little bites that are manageable, for me. some areas are easier to plan around parking areas. other might require a bit more adventurousness. the other day I did one section, then took a break back at the car then went out again for another section. had plenty of water but used up my snacks between the two rides. fortunately for me I never seem to have a shortage of calories for any given day, hehe. but I neglected my electrolytes & paid a small price, w/ a significant calf cramp, after driving home

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-17-22 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-17-22, 09:27 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
In the 1970's we used to ride dirt bikes, most of the time at least 25 mph there. We would run out of daylight before running out of trails.
Likes For 2manybikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.