Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Tires for a Trek Multitrack 7600

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-16-18, 04:50 PM
jrattinger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

A friend just gave me a Trek Multitrack 7600 as gift. It was set up for speed, so it has very thin tires. I would like to put on wider, more sturdy tires for road use, so I don't have to worry about if I have to jump a curb. The current rims are Matrix Vapor - ERD 610 and the tires are Matrix CD3 700x25C. Can someone suggest or point me in the right direction to what kind of tire I can put on these rims. They are thin, so I'm concerned about finding a wider tire than the existing one.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-18, 05:14 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Any 700 c tire will fit, if you have the right size tube. Is Matrix still in business? I have not heard of them in many years.

When you say "sturdy", do mean flat resistant, or just more sturdy because it's wider? Because there's a whole range of 700 c tires that go from thin casing and light, to thick casing and heavy, depending on how much flat protection you need.

This is strictly for road use, it sounds like. Are you in an area that has a lot of puncture vines, or would you be doing city riding over glass and debris? If so, you would go with a thicker heavier tire. If you're out of thorn country and just riding on good smooth roads, you can get away with something much lighter and faster.
Old 09-16-18, 06:22 PM
jrattinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I don't think Matrix is still in biz. I guess I'm looking for a good general purpose tire that is fairly flat resistant and wider. I'm in the suburbs, but some of the roads I ride on are a little rough and there are occasional glass patches. I was not sure if a wider tire would fit the rim, since the existing tires are so thin. Do you think a 700x32 would fit these rims? I think that's the width that i want.
Old 09-16-18, 06:31 PM
amusingbikes
Safety First

Bikes: '90 GT Performer, OPUS DS1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i swear by Panaracer by panasonic. I prefer the Tourguard Plus, you can fit as wide a tire as your forks are wide and as your rear seat stays are wide. you should leave a little bit of room on either side for those rare instances when your rim is out of true and when you hit a bump or pothole, because your tires will get a little plumper all around when they get depressed by the bump. they are like a balloon, if you push down on a balloon on one side, the opposite side will bulge out
Old 09-16-18, 06:45 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jrattinger
Thanks for your reply. I don't think Matrix is still in biz. I guess I'm looking for a good general purpose tire that is fairly flat resistant and wider. I'm in the suburbs, but some of the roads I ride on are a little rough and there are occasional glass patches. I was not sure if a wider tire would fit the rim, since the existing tires are so thin. Do you think a 700x32 would fit these rims? I think that's the width that i want.
Definitely 32's would fit. How much you planning on spending? Continentals are pretty popular if you don't mind spending $80 or so a pair. Those are pretty much all I use if I need a high performance tire. But everyone has their own brand preference, Even something that's $40 a pair should be decent for most purposes. I think Conti has some Super Sports that are around that price, or used to cost that much anyway, last time I bought any.

EDIT: Looks like those run around $50 a pair these days. Good tires though.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 09-16-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 07:02 PM
jrattinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the Continentals on Nashbar. They have the "Continental Sport Contact II City Tire" for $19.99 and the "Continental Contact City Tire" for $31.99. Do you know of these tires? I'm looking in the $50-60 range. Where do you buy your tires?
Old 09-16-18, 07:06 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No place in particular, I just go on Ebay and see what they have there, and compare prices. Sometimes you can get better deals on 2 tires sold together, especially the folding ones.
Old 09-16-18, 07:20 PM
PDLandis
"steel is real"

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Custom USA Cannondale 1x8 Frankenbike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put on Continental Contact Speeds on my gravel bike. My LBS recommended them after the factory-installed gravel tires got 2 flats and were flinging debris at me from the tire edge. I punish the Contis, and they take it. Sticky enough even with very light tread. Roll nicely. Zero flats. I always liked the Conti brand. I seem to end up with them on nearly every bike I have.
Old 09-17-18, 03:35 PM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

A friend just gave me a Trek Multitrack 7600 as gift. It was set up for speed, so it has very thin tires. I would like to put on wider, more sturdy tires for road use, so I don't have to worry about if I have to jump a curb. The current rims are Matrix Vapor - ERD 610 and the tires are Matrix CD3 700x25C. Can someone suggest or point me in the right direction to what kind of tire I can put on these rims. They are thin, so I'm concerned about finding a wider tire than the existing one.

Thanks!
ERD is the effective rim diameter used to with measurements from the hub to determine spoke length. The ETRTO number is the bead diameter and inner width (distance between the rim beads). 700C wheels are 622 mm. Trek shipped many of the multitracks with with 700x35-38C tires. I have 43mm wide tires on my 720 MT with room to spare, though with newer 622x21 rims. The width of the rim is more likely going to dictate the tire width than the frame.
Old 09-21-18, 07:29 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Any 700 c tire will fit, if you have the right size tube. Is Matrix still in business? I have not heard of them in many years.

When you say "sturdy", do mean flat resistant, or just more sturdy because it's wider? Because there's a whole range of 700 c tires that go from thin casing and light, to thick casing and heavy, depending on how much flat protection you need.

This is strictly for road use, it sounds like. Are you in an area that has a lot of puncture vines, or would you be doing city riding over glass and debris? If so, you would go with a thicker heavier tire. If you're out of thorn country and just riding on good smooth roads, you can get away with something much lighter and faster.
Matrix was the house brand of Trek's rims. After they killed bought Bontrager they grouped all their OEM house brand under that name. Matrix rims were pretty good for the time.
Old 09-22-18, 09:12 AM
jrattinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your input, greatly appreciated! I went with a pair of Conti City tires 700x32. Cant wait for them to arrive! Happy riding...
Old 09-22-18, 09:36 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
For all of our help, we're are expecting a book report from you now.

Seriously though, have fun with the new tires, hope they work out awesome for ya. And if you get a chance, report back on how well they work out for you, I can't try out for myself every type and brand of tire that's out there, so it's always good to hear real (non-spam) impressions as to whether the tires are any good or not, though most Contis are very good from my own experience.
Old 10-09-18, 05:49 PM
jrattinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so finally got my new tires in the mail and had my LBS mount them for me. I ended up getting the Continental Contact Plus tires, which are a city tire. I picked them because sometimes I ride over glass and lots of potholes. They fit perfectly and are nice and solid. My only complaint is that they are harder than I expected, so the ride can be a little rougher than if I had softer tires. But overall I'm very happy. Thanks for everyone's input. very helpful for an amateur like me.
Old 10-14-18, 08:20 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Ok, so finally got my new tires in the mail and had my LBS mount them for me. I ended up getting the Continental Contact Plus tires, which are a city tire. I picked them because sometimes I ride over glass and lots of potholes. They fit perfectly and are nice and solid. My only complaint is that they are harder than I expected, so the ride can be a little rougher than if I had softer tires. But overall I'm very happy. Thanks for everyone's input. very helpful for an amateur like me.
If you are finding the ride too harsh, you could try lowering the air pressure. You don't need to pump the tires all the way to the max sidewall pressure, unless you are heavier than average. Try lowering the pressure a few pounds to see if that helps. You don't want to go too low or you could get a pinch flat when you hit a pothole.
Old 10-14-18, 08:51 PM
jrattinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good suggestion Pompiere! I'll give that a shot...
Old 10-14-18, 09:10 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
I have 43mm Panaracer Gravel King SK on my 7500, with fenders. They are extremely supple lightweight folders that roll quite nicely at 30 psi. Should be quite flat resistant with the tightly spaced small knobs and low pressure.

We don't have goatheads here, but glass is a problem. With a low pressure tire you don't force the rubber against the glass with enough force to embed it in the rubber. With glass, most flats occur after many revolutions have slowly pounded the shard through the tread and casing. Most of my bikes don't have clearance for 43s so I usually ride (no longer available in 32mm but I have a stash) Michelin Dynamics. Very thin tread, but so supple I run them at 35-40 and I've never gotten a flat with them.

My lack of flats may also be because I never ride w/o 2 tubes and a pump, as a sign of respect to the Puncture Fairies.