Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Leakproof Bottles

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 12:32 PM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Leakproof Bottles

I’m having a hard time finding an insulated water bottle that doesn’t leak. After a ride, the contents drops down, even around the bottom bracket. Suggestions?
Old 11-23-21, 12:58 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Camelback chill has been working for me.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 11-23-21, 01:28 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I agree, I always experience some drip. Even with Camelback Podium Chill bottles, if you have the valve open when you grab it from the cage, there's frequently a couple of drops that squirt out. If the contents have warmed significantly since you last "burped" the bottle, then it may be more than a couple of drips.

You could close the valve between sips, I suppose, but opening the valve once you grab the bottle takes two hands, and opening it before you grab the bottle defeats the purpose of closing it in the first place. Kind of a pain, I'd rather deal with the drips and have to hose the bike off periodically.

I've only ever used cheap bottles and the Podiums, though, so there may be bottles out there with a more conventional valve (the one you put between your teeth and pull open) that don't leak, but I don't know of any from personal experience.
Old 11-23-21, 01:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Purist bottles. They can have a baby bottle stile nipple on top of the regular push pull valve. There sold with different caps in some places. I think Specialized sells them. About a million others too. You may have to ask if they come with that valve nipple.

The bottle I'm drinking from, I keep the regular valve open, they don't spill and there is nothing to open or close while riding. I've had five of them for a few years, they don't spill. They also do not have the plastic taste you sometimes get with regular bottles.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 11-23-21 at 02:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-23-21, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I hear what you are saying & when it's cold enough, it freezes to the bottle cage
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-23-21, 02:30 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I hear what you are saying & when it's cold enough, it freezes to the bottle cage
The Purist bottles don't leak and don't get frozen to the cage. But when you fill a bottle, it's easy to get water on the threads of the bottle, just wipe or shake that off. I get a laugh when riding, the shaking of the bottles, keeping them from freezing, then stopping and watch the bottle freeze quickly. When It's in the mid 20s I use vacuum insulated stainless bottles, if the valves freeze, I just hold the valve in my mouth to thaw them out. They also do not leak I have a few different kinds that don't leak.
I see your photos of riding through water........
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 11-23-21, 02:44 PM
2manybikes

The best,

Specialized Purist Hydroflo 23 WaterGate Water Bottle Review - Bing video
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 11-23-21, 04:35 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I've watched full Camelback bottles "burp" fluids as I ride over a bumpy road. Never had that problem with Polar -- that terribly difficult pull to open, push to close nozzle that was great for so many years seems to seal the water in. [/sarcasm]
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-23-21, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I am a big fan of the Podium bottles, that is all I use and probably all I will use. I can lock them out when not using and then when using sometimes yes you might get a little burp of fluid but you lock it and no problems. I have tried other bottles and just not been impressed.

Also soaking moldy bottle tops in white vinegar really works well. I was surprised how well it worked. My old mud caps were getting a little filthy and I finally dunked one into straight vinegar and boom!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-23-21, 10:32 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
veganbikes, thanks for the tip, I will try the white vinegar.
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-24-21, 02:26 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Is it leaking or is it condensation from freezing your bottles the night before?

My bottles only leak if I lay them on there side for transporting them in the car. Now I stick all my water bottles in all cup holders in the car. ha-ha

I tried leaving them on the bike with the hitch rack but ice melted much faster on the back of the car.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 12-01-21, 08:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
veganbikes, thanks for the tip, I will try the white vinegar.
I was blown away on how well it worked. They looked like new and they were pretty gross before hand. I might do a before and after on another bottle that just happens to be at work and not being used at the moment. I did need a little toothpickin' action on the inside of the cap but the stuff came out super easy and maybe with a little agitation might have come out better (but I was trying to avoid any vinegar inside the cap just on the outside.

Also just when mentioning someone don't forget to use the "@" symbol before their name so they read it because they can miss it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-03-21, 01:06 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Going to have to try the white vinegar trick then.
Likes For sean.hwy: