Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vent Noir @ bikesdirect.com ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 03:47 PM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the bike I am considering purchasing.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/ventnoir.htm

To me, it seems like one of the best values in terms of frame/components for my budget. I fully understand that the suggest retail price on the BD website is misleading. I would, frankly, be getting a $700 bike for... well...$700. Simply, this seems the best equipped $700 bike I can find.

I have lurked around these boards a few days and seen all the arguments against going with an online seller. Frankly, they don't hold up for me. I am good with a wrench and only have 2 LBS's within 50 miles. One is a Trek/Giant dealer who sells everything (even last years models) at full retail and the other was once a great store but the local owner sold to someone who frankly hasn't a clue about the bike business or any other. It is staffed but high school kids whose answers to technical questions border on the comical. I only say that to explain my mind is made up in terms of ordering online, just not necessarily from BD.

What I was hoping was that some other Vent Noir owners would give an honest assessment of their bikes and what things I might soon be looking to upgrade (like.. is the seat REALLY that bad). Also, if there is a better online deal for someone with around $700 to spend, what is it.

Oh, I would also consider buying used off eBay. However, I can't justify paying the same money for a 3 yr old bike with the same components just because it says Trek, Felt or Cannondale on it when I could have new. Unless, of course, the BD bikes have a grossly inferior frame or some other deficit that I am overlooking.

Oh, and hello bikeforums folks. No matter what bike I decide on I look forward becoming a member of this community. I rode much in my youth, now as I approach my 40th birthday in a couple of weeks the need to get back in shape and the rememberances of how much I used to love to ride have motivated me. I am excited to start riding again.

Last edited by rickhigbee; 09-14-07 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 04:01 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
now that is taken care of... BD bikes are fine...
Old 09-14-07, 04:08 PM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, branded as a shill after just 11 minutes. That didn't take long. I can assure you, I am no shill. I am simply a capitalist. If I had a great LBS that was willing to "earn my business" I wouldn't have discovered these boards nor be asking for help. I'd be out mashing some pedals. I wonder how long before I hear the argument that LBS's shouldn't be expected to give discounts. How many of the same people expect to pay full price on their cars? Car dealers work from much smaller margins than bike shops (I know, I am a dealer) but everyone want to cut us to 3 to 5%. Funny that people brag about how much they pay for their houses and their bikes but how little they pay for their cars. I chose the wrong career. I need to open a bike shop...

Sorry for the tangent. Still, the shill thing sorta bugged me.

Last edited by rickhigbee; 09-14-07 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 04:14 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickhigbee
Wow, branded as a shill after just 11 minutes. That didn't take long. I can assure you, I am no shill. I am simply a capitalist. If I had a great LBS that was willing to "earn my business" I wouldn't have discovered these boards nor be asking for help. I'd be out mashing some pedals. I wonder how long before I hear the argument that LBS's shouldn't be expected to give discounts. How many of the same people expect to pay full price on their cars? Car dealers work from much smaller margins than bike shops (I know, I am a dealer) but everyone want to cut us to 3 to 5%. Funny that people brage about how much they pay for their houses and their bikes but how little they pay for their cars. I chose the wrong career. I need to open a bike shop...

Sorry for the tangent. Still, the shill thing sorta bugged me.
Ah...get over it...

My father in law rides one and I have a fixed from them...

ggg300 = shill

feel better?
Old 09-14-07, 04:15 PM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a few folks that think anyone who asks about or even buys from BD is a shill.

Personally, I'm a Fuji shill.
Old 09-14-07, 04:18 PM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's a good deal on a nice bike, rickhigbee. Check some of these threads. Bikesdirect has a bit of a legacy around here. Good luck.
Old 09-14-07, 04:26 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe that Alan dude will show up.
Old 09-14-07, 04:27 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
My first bike was a bd Motobecane Grand Record. It was alright, but after riding for a few months I found myself wanting more. If you're going to buy from them and you like riding already, I'd suggest going for atleast a Le Champ. The Vent Noir is cool, and it'll suit your purposes better. You should be able to keep it in good running order due to your experience, however I still say spend a little more for a bike even if it's from bd. It'll be worth it.
Old 09-14-07, 04:28 PM
DZA_LA
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just buy it.
Old 09-14-07, 04:31 PM
Speedster22

Bikes: Felt F3C w/ Campy Chorus; Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Vent Noir from Sprtymama off of ebay about four months ago now. She is part of Bikesdirect and sells them for 650 plus shipping. Only real bad thing that I had to replace was the bottom bracket. After about 800 miles it started creeking on every pedal stroke. Got worse with every ride. I replaced the seat within the first 100 miles, I've actually got it up for sale on ebay right now. I switched it out to a Fizik Arione, which is way better and lighter. Oh, I suppose I should mention this bike weighs in at 22.5 pounds, which I could not find advertised anywhere online. Frame seems to be welded okay, not super pretty welds, but it's solid. Vuelta XRP wheels are okay, nothing special, heavy though. Tiagra shifters aren't the best, but they work. 105 front and rear derailleurs are good. She takes rough roads pretty harsh being aluminum and heavy, but to be expected. So in essence, four months later, I just bought a slightly used Felt F3 frame and am building my first ride with Campy Chorus. Should be all together by Sunday or Monday hopefully. I will then use the Moto as a crappy weather bike.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 09-14-07, 04:31 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
I own one, put 1750 miles on since first week of july doing messenger work,3 races plus 1 200 mile roundtrip to southern ohio. Other than one flat from a staple its been doing its job as expected.

saddle is fine, pretty much like the ones made by velo, it isn't a superlight racing saddle but considering I ride 99.9% time wearing street clothes I have no problems with it.

bike was packed well, and the only post assembly adjustment I had to make was a 1/4 turn on rear derailer high end limit screw

assembly was easy, bolt on stem, handlebars, front brake, saddle/seatpost, adjust to taste and inflate tires

comes with extra bar tape, rear derailer hanger, and one sided spd pedals which work just aren't as convenient as double sided

order time to delivery was 6 days

don't really have any complaints, wheels are a tad heavy but most deep section wheels are, frame geometry is square as in st=tt, brakes sucked at first till pads got broken in, they are good now, seatpost is bit tricky to adjust if anything got replaced that would be it, the ritchey one bolt design isn't too good
Old 09-14-07, 05:11 PM
Idioteque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really, wait a bit more or somehow just find 400 bucks and get le-champ ... it's like 16.5 lbs and has way nice r parts than vent noir
Old 09-14-07, 05:18 PM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedster22
Oh, I suppose I should mention this bike weighs in at 22.5 pounds, .
Seems a bit heavyish. How does that compare with other bikes in the segment?
Old 09-14-07, 05:32 PM
shogun17
Sheldon Brown's posse

Bikes: BMC SL01, XtC, Rhythm GX and a frankenstein avalanche 2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for it. You'll get an uncontrollable urge for something more exotic whether you want it or not. That's 30% of what being a cyclist is all about.
Old 09-14-07, 05:52 PM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully expect to be just as compulsive/addicted as the rest of you guys. I am sure an exotic bike is in my future. Still, there's about 20lbs of me that need to go before I start worrying about a few pounds of bicycle. I think this will be a good starter bike that I won't soon outgrow, and from your responses and from reading other threads I have decided to pull the trigger on this one. If fact... I just placed my order online. First impressions soon to come.

Btw... I think they'd sell more bikes with less fluff advertising and a more straightforward approach. Also, I'd have much rather paid for a "house brand" than a resurrected brand that has no historical connection to the bikes is shares a name with. Keep the Moto name around for the few percent that it has meaning to but there are those, like myself, that veiw it more as a liability that an asset.

Still, I am excited about my new wheels!
Old 09-14-07, 07:52 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
i rode one from orlando to birmingham alabama no issues. and i used to ride from the east coast of florida to the west coast on the weekends for kicks. i wore the tires out before anything else.

i only sold it because i needed the money at the time. I almost purchased a second one before going steel.

look at my website and search vent noir for my time with it, or just read the cycling section
Old 09-14-07, 08:16 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Go for the le champ. Seriously, I was considering if before I got my cannondale.

That being said, you can probably get a good closeout at an LBS if you see any that are further than the numbskullish ones you have.
Old 09-14-07, 08:27 PM
seminole13
Still on a Big Wheel

Bikes: 07 TREK 1500, 2000 Diamondback Response Sport MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(I know, I am a dealer)
Really? Where?
Old 09-14-07, 08:29 PM
elemental

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems a bit heavyish. How does that compare with other bikes in the segment?
My Scott (S50) is listed at just under 22 pounds as a Sora triple, I am imagining the Tiagra/Rival/Sugino double conversion shed some ounces.

The Scott lists at $689, I got mine and all the parts listed above for $600. I would expect a BD bike with a higher parts spec would weigh less, but they're in the same ballpark.
Old 09-14-07, 08:35 PM
kmart
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on your order! Hope it arrives undamaged. I was in your shoes a year ago and got the Vent Noir (from a local Cycle Spectrum that sells BD bikes). It was best deal I could find at the time and definitely better equipped (and cooler looking) than any other similarly priced bike in any LBS. The Tiagra shifters were smooth and responsive, the wheels were heavy but very durable and I liked the look of the traditional (non-compact) geometry.

I got the gear itch a year later and now I ride a Felt F55 but I will always have the fond memories of the Vent Noir.

Gotta say though, BD's direct competitors (the likes of GT, Scattante, Schwinn, etc) have been getting their prices down slightly. Perhaps that's why BD responded with pricing the Le Champ at $1099? It seems to alternate between $1100 and $1300 depending on the season.

Last edited by kmart; 09-14-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 08:48 PM
rickhigbee
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seminole13
Really? Where?
I own a small used car lot in Panama City, FL. My background is the new car business though. Mostly managed Toyota stores.

Oh, and everyone.. thanks for the input. I am gonna like it here.
Old 09-14-07, 09:37 PM
Eleaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there!
I just got a Vent Noir from bikes direct last Thursday and got it looked over by a friend and put air in the tires last Sunday (didn't have presta adapter until then).

I'm really liking the bike, it is my first road bike. It is needing a lot of derailleur tuning though. Getting the front triple to work with the 9 speed rear is real trouble! It's almost impossible to not have one side have a little chain rub. Oh well, I'm learning a fair bit.
The bike looks beautiful though, and it has received several compliments from teachers at school who were roadies in the past.
So far, I'm loving the bike, and just making some adjustments here and there...

I've been taking a few pictures and will post a formal review of my experience soon!
Old 09-14-07, 10:56 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend with the bikes direct vent noir.....he's cool with it. i have one as well (BD windsor fens). and for the money we both spent, i think we'd both have been happier spending a few hundred more and getting an ultegra or dura ace equipped ride from BD..or some other retailer. when i do upgrade and inevitably i will, i'm thinking of going with a BD ultegra-equipped ride. then again, i may make a purchase at a LBS.
Old 09-14-07, 11:48 PM
brianallan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who the **** brags about how much they payed for their bike (when it was expensive)?

shill
Old 09-14-07, 11:55 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ummm.....not much mention about money in this thread???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.