Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dog attack and confrontation with owner

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-17, 11:36 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

So I ride in really rural areas and chasing dogs is a daily thing. 3-4 days a week I always pass by this one particular house right on the NC/SC border. Every time, without fail, there's these two smallish/medium size dogs that sprint out from the yard and come after me. They always run beside me yapping for a couple of hundred feet until they get tired. I figured they were like the other dogs that chase me, they just want to run next to me for fun.

This morning was different. As usual, I spot them about a hundred yards ahead coming out into the road to meet me. But this time they were real aggressive. One shot out right in front of my bike and I had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting it and crashing. When I slowed, the second dog jumped up and clamped his jaws on my bars and ripped up the bar tape. So now I'm trying to accelerate and shake it off, it won't let go so I pull out my bottle and spray water on his face and unclip and kick it at the same time. He stayed locked on for about another 50 feet before he let go then I sprinted away. It was hard to steer because almost all his weight was on the bars and he was shaking his head at the same time. For the first time this year I was on my modern bike with no frame pump. I wish I had it.

After I get home, clean up, eat, ect I decide I'm going to drive out to that house (15 mi away) and have a discussion with the owner. This is in the boonies, there's no other houses for a good half mile. I pull up into the dirt driveway and see no dogs. I knock on the door and hear them yapping inside. This older lady, about 400 pounds worth, answers and I begin to politely explain what happened. I'm even smiling trying to be nice. I told her I never had a problem with her dogs before but today they actually jumped on my bike and tried to bite me, that it was illegal for her to allow her dogs to roam the public roads and please keep them on her property. I also showed her a pic of where one chewed up my bar tape and said if I had been grabbing that spot it would have ripped up my hand.

She then proceeds to get a total attitude with me, starts cussing, calling me names and tells me her dogs never hurt anyone. It was 10am but I think she was drunk. One thing I cannot stand is a smart ass punk so I just snapped and went off on her. I told her I have a 2 foot long metal tire pump and the next time I see those dogs come out into the road after me I'm going to bash their skulls in until they die, so if she ever sees them lying in the road with their brains out it was me who did it. I also told her if they ever bite me I'll sue her for everything she owns, and she'll lose the case. Cuss words were spread throughout. Before I walked away I calmed down, looked her in the eye and assured her that the next time I will stay there until they are both dead. So if she wants her dogs she better keep them locked up.

FYI, there is no police in this area, they won't come out unless it's a serious emergency and then it takes them 30-45 minutes to show up. So unless I actually get mauled it would be pointless to try to get them out. I hope I see those dogs tomorrow, I'll have my Zefal pump in hand.

Hard to see it, but there's teeth marks all the way up to the bottom of the brake hood.

Old 05-03-17, 11:40 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's why I always have my LC9 with me these days. So many stray dogs on the bike trail, I even adopted one from the local shelter, he was picked up at the trailhead.
Old 05-03-17, 11:42 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
At least file a police report. Even if they don't come out and do anything about it, if there is ever an issue with you or someone else in the future, there is a record of past behavior that can be used by the appropriate authorities in whatever judgement need to be handed down.
Old 05-03-17, 11:45 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. But in the future perhaps it's best to avoid that part of your route. You might be tempted to go looking for trouble next time, and you know what they say about those who go looking for trouble...
Old 05-03-17, 11:52 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
In the middle of the boonies?

If you hear banjos.... RIDE FAST!
Old 05-03-17, 11:55 AM
Lazyass

I might file a report but I'm not too worried about it. This is a small town and my best friend of 28 years is the court clerk and I know a few police officers. They all know me as the retired military guy who rides a bike everyday. I'm like the only cyclist around here. I'll be taken care of if something happens. I'm certainly not going to be scared away of taking that route.
Old 05-03-17, 12:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Please make a Police Report.

The dogs could cause you to Crash and get an injured head.

I don't remember my crash or the next three days in the hospital.

Old 05-03-17, 12:03 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Throw a piece of meat laced with ex lax at em. Hopefully they are house dogs
Old 05-03-17, 12:04 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but since this situation could deteriorate into something that involves civil litigation and/or criminal prosecution, perhaps it would be best for you if this was not discussed in an on-line forum. Much like the recommendation regarding the posting of car-bike altercations. Good luck, hope you stay safe.
Old 05-03-17, 12:06 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Throw a piece of meat laced with ex lax at em. Hopefully they are house dogs
Interesting
Old 05-03-17, 12:32 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Please make a Police Report.

The dogs could cause you to Crash and get an injured head.

I don't remember my crash or the next three days in the hospital.
That's what this thread is for.

I've had hundreds of dogs chase me, never one jumping up and locking on to my bars. I've had them go into my wheels, but never lunging at something higher.

They'll be looking for you tomorrow. The dogs and the owners. Hopefully not a showdown at the OK corral. Might want to run a camera if you don't already.
Old 05-03-17, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
When I slowed, the second dog jumped up and clamped his jaws on my bars and ripped up the bar tape. So now I'm trying to accelerate and shake it off, it won't let go so I pull out my bottle and spray water on his face and unclip and kick it at the same time. He stayed locked on for about another 50 feet before he let go then I sprinted away.
Either your leg strength or your aim has lots of room for improvement.
Old 05-03-17, 12:41 PM
Blanbrineson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please dont kill the dogs and brag about it like some sort of sociopath
Old 05-03-17, 12:45 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
For the dogs AND the owner...
Attached Images
Old 05-03-17, 12:47 PM
tdavenport56

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't kill the dogs
Old 05-03-17, 12:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Blanbrineson
Originally Posted by tdavenport56
don't kill the dogs
You all can do what you want, but if dogs are attacking me, I'm in no mood to act in a manner that takes their health into concern. If they've attacked me for a second time, just like the OP I'm much more likely to escalate my response to a deadly level.

If they are attacking me, it is just a matter of time before they attack someone who may not be as able to defend themselves. I have exactly zero patience for dangerous pets.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 05-03-17, 01:03 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
You all can do what you want, but if dogs are attacking me, I'm in no mood to act in a manner that takes their health into concern. If they've attacked me for a second time, just like the OP I'm much more likely to escalate my response to a deadly level.

If they are attacking me, it is just a matter of time before they attack someone who may not be as able to defend themselves. I have exactly zero patience for dangerous pets.
Not to mention that in some states, including Oregon, they will put down a dog that has verifiably attacked a human.
Old 05-03-17, 01:12 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Blanbrineson
It's not my decision. What happens is up to the owner. She's been warned.

If I were a sociopath I would drive over there with my 95lb sharpei, Chubby, and laugh while he swallowed those two yappers whole.

Last edited by Lazyass; 05-03-17 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 01:15 PM
Blanbrineson

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You said they were small/medium dogs are you really threatened by a 25 pound dog? lmbo
Old 05-03-17, 01:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This older lady, about 400 pounds worth

next time I see those dogs come out into the road after me I'm going to bash their skulls in until they die

Threatening to kill the dogs wasn't the solution. Neither is insulting the woman because of her weight in a public forum.

The solution is to spray the dogs with pepper spray and then file a report with animal control.

Spray the dog with Sabre Red Pepper Gel and that dog won't come within 50 feet of a cyclist ever again. I ride with a small canister on my arm and a spare canister in my jersey pocket every ride.

Rural Georgia can be brutal in terms of dogs. NC and SC are much of the same. I don't hesitate to spray.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-03-17 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-03-17, 01:18 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Threatening to kill the dogs wasn't the solution. Neither is insulting the woman because of her weight in a public forum.
Don't lecture me. Thanks.
Old 05-03-17, 01:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Get Sabre Red Pepper Gel and spray at the first encounter. Problem solved. That's my point. That's what I do.

I didn't mean to upset you and apologize for that.

Everyone in the South has a gun. I'd hate for something bad to happen. That's all.
Old 05-03-17, 01:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Ashley_Biggums
watch out Timothy he'll beat you to death with a stick if you disagree with him.

This really isn't needed, especially someone from a big city (assuming you mean Los Angles and not Louisiana). I apologized. That should be the end.

Aggressive dogs are a very real problem in the rural south and they are being bred to be more and more aggressive. What Lazyass describes is entirely believable and I sprayed a dog which tried to bite me just last week. A friend was surrounded by six farm dogs just last fall, sprayed but still got bit by one and the owner came after my friend in his truck and pulled a gun. One of the local riders has been bit three times.

I didn't know Lazyass was just over in the next state and I'd love to ride with him any time. He can carry the stick and I'll carry the spray. I think that is a pretty good combo.

-Tim-
Old 05-03-17, 01:47 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Ashley_Biggums
watch out Timothy he'll beat you to death with a stick if you disagree with him.
Guidelines and Rules or Site Operation: All Members Read, Please

Disruption

Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news.
Old 05-03-17, 01:47 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
FYI, there is no police in this area, they won't come out unless it's a serious emergency and then it takes them 30-45 minutes to show up. So unless I actually get mauled it would be pointless to try to get them out. I hope I see those dogs tomorrow, I'll have my Zefal pump in hand.

One of my friends, and ex regular poster here, had a much similar situation, without the confrontation (till after). He proceeded to protect himself from a large aggressive dog with spray. The owner (who happened to be local sheriff dog patrol) proceeded to chase him down with his truck, run him down/off the road with said truck, and proceeded to assault him vigorously. He found out about this guy being a cop when he went to file a report about the incident.

He was advised to find somewhere else to ride. By the police.

Really, he came out lucky. He could have been dead in an automobile strike right down the road, and you know how that goes for offenders.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.