Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Standing up to pedal, lot harder at 56...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Standing up to pedal, lot harder at 56...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:35 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I stand and pedal all the time and it doesn't get any easier at 71.
Thanks a lot

I was hoping to hear hiking out of the saddle was like fine wine, it just gets better with age, not your legs turn to vinegar.
Old 10-02-17, 10:08 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Teebox, for your height, yes, your stocky. Keep at it - you'll improve. And yes, if you can - I know it's difficult for most people - lose some weight. (I hope you aren't eating desserts and drinking beer, now that you've rediscovered the joys of cycling and want to stand on your pedals.)

I'm 69 and I have no problem standing on hills. Then again, I've been at it for decades.
Old 10-02-17, 10:42 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
New or returning to cycling.... generally it's all the same problems. There are "skills" that need to be learned. Some are simple little one liner lessons like... "don't ride in the gutters" (because the debris will cause flat tires). But taking your place in the traffic... isn't always easy for new cyclists.

Standing when cycling... is a basic. Not just for climbing hills or for a quick burst of speed. But standing up and pedaling pumps the blood from your large muscles in your rear-end (AKA butt). And it's the pooled blood in your rear that makes it hurt after riding for awhile.

If a cyclist has balance, core strength, or just normal confidence concerns.... they might want to start with just leaning forward a bit and lifting their tush off the saddle briefly. Just taking their weight off their rear-end. Then work up to standing. Then pedaling while slightly lifted.... and finally standing and pedaling.

But take your time. Don't rush to accomplish goals. Don't push too hard to build strength or confidence. Take your time (be careful) and enjoy your ride. The skills will all come in time.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-02-17 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 08:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This whole thread makes me want to ride my fixed gear bike.
Old 10-03-17, 07:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
New or returning to cycling.... generally it's all the same problems. There are "skills" that need to be learned. Some are simple little one liner lessons like... "don't ride in the gutters" (because the debris will cause flat tires). But taking your place in the traffic... isn't always easy for new cyclists.

Standing when cycling... is a basic. Not just for climbing hills or for a quick burst of speed. But standing up and pedaling pumps the blood from your large muscles in your rear-end (AKA butt). And it's the pooled blood in your rear that makes it hurt after riding for awhile.

If a cyclist has balance, core strength, or just normal confidence concerns.... they might want to start with just leaning forward a bit and lifting their tush off the saddle briefly. Just taking their weight off their rear-end. Then work up to standing. Then pedaling while slightly lifted.... and finally standing and pedaling.

But take your time. Don't rush to accomplish goals. Don't push too hard to build strength or confidence. Take your time (be careful) and enjoy your ride. The skills will all come in time.
Hovering just above the saddle is an absolute killer workout, at least it is for me.
Old 10-03-17, 07:25 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I don't dare stand up! My Frog Ti's have a max weight of 175, and though I am 160, that plus the downward force equals how much? My C&V has Lyotard 460D's which have a reputation of the axles breaking! I think I'll sit down, now.
Old 10-04-17, 08:54 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Hovering just above the saddle is an absolute killer workout, at least it is for me.
It's an absolutely needed skill.... for taking bumps. Lean slightly forward bending at the elbows, placing most of your weight on your feet, stabilizing the bike with your hands. The bike can bump, rattle, bounce, and shake beneath you... sparing your own butt and limiting any damage to the bike as well.

In an overly steep descent... taking the same position... and slipping your butt slightly behind the saddle can allow for safer braking.

Nobody needs to practice these basic behaviors. Anyone can plop their butt on the bikes seat... and just pedal, steer, and brake. And I'd guess they'll still have tons of fun and get some good healthy exercise.

But I prefer longer rides, and maybe faster speeds than some... more casual cyclists. So for comfort and safety sake basic skills are a good thing... IMHO.
Old 10-04-17, 09:03 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I don't dare stand up! My Frog Ti's have a max weight of 175, and though I am 160, that plus the downward force equals how much? My C&V has Lyotard 460D's which have a reputation of the axles breaking! I think I'll sit down, now.
Just because they have a weight limit doesn't mean you can't exert greater force on the pedals. They assume people are going to sprint.
Old 10-04-17, 09:09 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 67 and stand on climbs all the time; not a big deal at all. Last Saturday I rode the Knoxville Double Century and stood up several times on the Knoxville Grade, with 14% fairly common.

And I had a 34t in the front and 32t in the back! Yes, standing is good, esp. on the really steep climbs, or just to use slightly different muscles for awhile on longer but not so steep climbs.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-04-17, 09:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Just because they have a weight limit doesn't mean you can't exert greater force on the pedals. They assume people are going to sprint.
Unless you do something beside standing the maximum downward force is equal to your weight.

There are three basic ways to exceed that.

1- pull up on the bars (while standing), that adds the upward force you exert on the bars, (in accordance witb Newton's 2nd Law)>
2- pull up on the back side pedal, like pulling the bars, adds your pull up force.
3- use your bodies inertial mass, by pressing down hard and fast enough to lift your body. The force used to launch yourself upright is added to your weight, but obviously this is only a momentary thing. To get a sense of how much this might be, stand on a scale, flex your knees and straighten quickly as you try to read the peak "weight" achieved.

All three techniques can give you added climbing speed if used properly, but most people familiar with them reserve them for situational use, ie. cresting a steep hill, or breaking away on a climb.

When I ride fixed gear in an area of steep hills I'll use any or all three, because that's the only way I'll get up, but it takes a toll.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-04-17, 09:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
It's an absolutely needed skill.... for taking bumps. Lean slightly forward bending at the elbows, placing most of your weight on your feet, stabilizing the bike with your hands. The bike can bump, rattle, bounce, and shake beneath you... sparing your own butt and limiting any damage to the bike as well.

In an overly steep descent... taking the same position... and slipping your butt slightly behind the saddle can allow for safer braking.

Nobody needs to practice these basic behaviors. Anyone can plop their butt on the bikes seat... and just pedal, steer, and brake. And I'd guess they'll still have tons of fun and get some good healthy exercise.

But I prefer longer rides, and maybe faster speeds than some... more casual cyclists. So for comfort and safety sake basic skills are a good thing... IMHO.
Yes, very true. I meant hovering while pedaling hard for long periods is difficult for me. I quit when the pain gets to be too much.
Old 10-04-17, 10:51 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Unless you do something beside standing the maximum downward force is equal to your weight.
Yes, that's why I mentioned sprinting. Regardless of how much you weigh, sprinting at 90RPM with 1000W will require a peak force of around 270lbs on a pedal. My point was the pedals would have to be designed to handle sprinting which has much higher forces than just standing on the pedals so you don't need to be worried about snapping off the pedals when standing on them.
Old 10-05-17, 06:06 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
That's good to hear. I have, indeed, stood up on the Speedplays. Standing is not part of my scheme, as-such, but I do remember once, in my first century, that I had to stand and grind out a hill. The Lyotards I am less-confident-of, but, I'll probably get around to finding myself in situations when standing is necessary.
Old 10-05-17, 07:08 AM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too much Body weight and poor leg tone/strength. How much do you weigh compared to when you were younger? also, core fitness plays a role.

Last edited by carl7; 10-05-17 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-06-17, 02:42 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
What an interesting thread. I have ridden seriously since I was 14 and am now 62. Never thought of standing as an issue. I love to do it for that extra burst or to stretch out the back side occasionally. Now another thing to worry about as I age...
Old 10-06-17, 04:59 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I work in The Burg so hitting the thigh burner with require some standing, besides I enjoy getting out of the saddle. I'm 205 lbs. and that just adds to the fun.
Old 10-06-17, 06:42 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by teebox
Ok, back into riding seriously earlier this summer. Had a hybrid bike, upgraded to really nice comfort bike and also purchased Felt road bike. Issue and question: I seem to have a hard time standing up and pedaling on the Felt. Did this all the time as a kid and never gave it a second thought, at 56 yrs old, and yes probably has a lot to do with it, just can't seem to get up in the pedals like I used to.

Clipped in Shimano pedals so not worried much about slippage and do not feel a need to do it all the time but at times I can see where this skill or ability would be helpful.

So questions: how many 50+ stand up to pedal? when do you do it, going uphill, etc? is it necessary to relearn this skill at 56? Interested in hearing peoples opinions and thoughts.

Thank you.
I can get myself up on the pedals and stand, but it hurts my knees almost every time I try it. I would rather ride pain free than ride faster and harder up a hill.
Old 10-06-17, 06:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I can get myself up on the pedals and stand, but it hurts my knees almost every time I try it. I would rather ride pain free than ride faster and harder up a hill.
OTOH we had a recent post by someone who had serious knee pain when climbing steep grades seated. He only got relief by standing.

So, the takeaway here is that "whatever works best for you" is the right option.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-18-17, 03:08 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure age is an issue if reasonably healthy. At 78 I frequently stand to climb and on flats. When climbing and standing I can move at lower lower speeds which means steeper grades are doable. I look at standing as a micro rest. How long I can do it is a matter of my current physical condition. I can't seem to stand and ride at a steady pace on flat land so I slow down - go to biggest gears - stand and steadily increase speed till I just can't go more or I max out on cadence. I can't see riding any distance without some standing to mix things up. New to mountain biking and hands numb after an hour of just sitting. Standing made big difference in delaying numb hands.
Old 10-19-17, 09:57 AM
teebox

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR 40, 2017 Felt Versa Speed and 2017 Cannondale Adventure 2

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All, update on the standing to pedal... can do it a little more than I could a month ago, except, I have to use this sparingly as I have no cartilage in my left knee (baseball catcher for 14 years) and the pressure on the knee creates, well, a helluva lot of pain.... had to come to a complete stop, dismount and "walk off" the pain on one attempt. So, I will continue to ease into it and in the meantime I will just grind hard uphill in the saddle.
Old 10-19-17, 11:12 PM
3949dxer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Sport, Merida road bike, crappy old MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 64. For some reason it took me a few years to get comfortable standing but now I do it more and more, and enjoy the feeling of powering up the hills. On my old bike (stolen a few months ago, now I have a better one) the front wheel would sort of lurch upward when I stood, which made me nervous, and somehow I didn't quite get the technique down. I'm a little stronger now...something clicked and now it just feels right.
Old 10-19-17, 11:18 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by teebox
Ok, back into riding seriously earlier this summer. Had a hybrid bike, upgraded to really nice comfort bike and also purchased Felt road bike. Issue and question: I seem to have a hard time standing up and pedaling on the Felt. Did this all the time as a kid and never gave it a second thought, at 56 yrs old, and yes probably has a lot to do with it, just can't seem to get up in the pedals like I used to.

Clipped in Shimano pedals so not worried much about slippage and do not feel a need to do it all the time but at times I can see where this skill or ability would be helpful.

So questions: how many 50+ stand up to pedal? when do you do it, going uphill, etc? is it necessary to relearn this skill at 56? Interested in hearing peoples opinions and thoughts.

Thank you.
I am older than you are and I can stand up on the pedals and hammer under all kinds of conditions: going uphill, sprinting (OK what passes for sprinting at my age), to relieve pressure on my lower back, to show off, etc.

What you are describing is not an age-related issue, but rather a fitness issue.

Go out and ride more and you will be fine.

Be safe and have fun,
Old 10-20-17, 04:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I stand a lot. I get better at it with practice. I try to prolong the periods I stand. It works well. If it's hard for you, shifting UP a gear might help.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-17, 02:56 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I ride a fixed gear bike for 9 out of 10 rides and I have to stand on the pedals to get up virtually every hill. I like the fixed gear as it makes me work harder. I'm 59 and yes, I notice I tire more quickly than 30+ years ago but I won't let it stop me from pushing myself. I found the harder I work at it the better I feel knocking on 60's door.
Old 10-22-17, 07:40 AM
brudford

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'am 55 years old and after having a Total Knee replacement six months ago I would love to be able to stand again on the pedals . I think your weight has alot to do with the ease of standing ? I think standing is an important part of cycling and although not totally needed for my type of exercise riding, I still want that ability/skill to return .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.