Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

GMR 4th of July. Yes it's early. Suck it up...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

GMR 4th of July. Yes it's early. Suck it up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 05:42 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Haven't made up my mind yet. how tomorrow goes will be determinate.
wear long sleeves or put DEET on the back of your arms though. The skeeters have been voracious the last two weekends.

They seem to only go for the back of your arms though and leave your legs alone.
Old 07-01-18, 11:30 PM
pterodactyl

Bikes: '85 Masi Gran Corsa; '94 Pre-Trek LeMond; '94 Waterford Schwinn Paramount Track; '04 Colnago C50 PRAL; '14 Salsa Spearfish MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Make sure your kit matches your bike, including but not limited to colour and team sponsors; helmet and shoes match kit and bike, cycling specific sunglasses and socks, etc. Geez, don't be a girl.

. . . speaking of girls . . .

Are there any other ladies celebrating America's independence by riding free from motorists on GMR this Wednesday?

This will be my first GMR ride and I hope to make it to the ski lifts - but I'm pretty slow.
If anyone cares to offer encouragement - I'll be the tall girl in the Swami's Cycling Team kit that matches her '94 Lemond perfectly
Old 07-02-18, 01:02 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
don't worry pterodactyl...we're all a little slower than we'd like. you'll have plenty of company. it's not the first, steepest few miles up to the "shack" that gets you. it's the undulating, lesser grade on the last half to the village that gets you. start hydrating now and pace yourself and you'll do great. you make it to the lifts, great. just riding gmr/grr to mt. baldy village is epic in its' own right.
Old 07-02-18, 01:05 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i'll meet up at glendora high at 8am on the 4th. may get there around sunrise to mix in an extra ascen/descent to/from the snack so i don't feel cheated about missing out on the lifts since i gotta bounce early.
Old 07-02-18, 03:10 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Haven't made up my mind yet. how tomorrow goes will be determinate.
wear long sleeves or put DEET on the back of your arms though. The skeeters have been voracious the last two weekends.
Or go fast enough to ride the little blighters of your wheel. Mosquito top speed.
Old 07-02-18, 04:16 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I'm planning to gather at Boulder Springs ~0745, roll at 0800. Hopefully with a few others too.
Old 07-02-18, 08:15 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Or go fast enough to ride the little blighters of your wheel. Mosquito top speed.
Well, my left arm must go slower than my right one since that's the only one that got chewed on last time.
The problem with your web link 2kmh speed limit is skeeters can draft too!

I got even and killed a few thousand on the way down though.

Still not decided on the 4th. If I do go I'll go for a semi alpine start (6:00) and you'll all still probably catch a slow old geezer like me.
Old 07-02-18, 10:45 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Well, my left arm must go slower than my right one since that's the only one that got chewed on last time.
The problem with your web link 2kmh speed limit is skeeters can draft too!

I got even and killed a few thousand on the way down though.

Still not decided on the 4th. If I do go I'll go for a semi alpine start (6:00) and you'll all still probably catch a slow old geezer like me.
We'll keep an eye out for you. One of my favorite tricks is eating plenty of garlic. Years ago when I went camping with some friends, we had a deer tick problem and everyone was terrified about Lyme Disease. Everyone had ticks on them, including me, except my two hapless ticks were staggering around on me, trying to find a place to bite the beast that didn't taste like garlic. In addition to having the fewest ticks, neither of mine had imbedded their heads into the meat.
Old 07-02-18, 10:45 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
. . . speaking of girls . . .

Are there any other ladies celebrating America's independence by riding free from motorists on GMR this Wednesday?

This will be my first GMR ride and I hope to make it to the ski lifts - but I'm pretty slow.
If anyone cares to offer encouragement - I'll be the tall girl in the Swami's Cycling Team kit that matches her '94 Lemond perfectly
You mean girls other than Rick? Because once he decides what to wear... he goes up that mountain like a bat out of hell and kicks my Assos even on his worst day. A friend of mine might join us, but as of today she is still undecided. And as ooga-booga said, there will be tons of people on the road, you'll never ride alone. In any case, say "hi" if you see me. I'm easy to spot - the only guy who wears a helmet that looks like human hair. And I'll be really slow, still getting over a cold.
Old 07-03-18, 09:21 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I'll probably end up on AC tomorrow, since it's rideable from home, and driving to GMR doesn't appeal.

Have fun up there and post pics.
Old 07-04-18, 05:17 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Showed up early and decided to ride solo as I had to get home before 1300.

There had to be 2,000+ riders going up, it was nuts. Haven't seen that many cyclists in a non organized event ever. GMR is one of my favorite climbs so always a good time, but I should have brought more water as I ran out 2 miles from the ski lifts.

Some pics, I don't know anyone in them: https://www.strava.com/activities/1681385445
Old 07-04-18, 10:33 PM
jimincalif

Yes it was amazing to see so many riders. Big groups, small groups, solo, mountain bikes, road bikes and one skateboard that I saw. I saw @DrIsotope, @TrojanHorse, @tunavic and @Rick@OCRR. Good day for a ride!
Old 07-04-18, 10:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Be sure to go to your Activity page for GMR and click on FlyBys-- it just scrolls and scrolls and scrolls.

i definitely did the most distance on the day. By like... a lot. I guess most people are too sensible to ride 108 miles with a 5,000ft climb in the middle.
Old 07-05-18, 07:47 AM
TGT1

I had things to buy, people to see and burnt offerings to prepare so I turned around at the shack around 8:00

The scene on the way down was incredible! A couple of hundred riders on their way up, and one lonely skateboarder trudging up the hill towing his board and helmet up with a string.

I can just imagine what the scene at the lodge was like an hour or two later.

Wonder what next year will be like?
Old 07-05-18, 08:22 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yes it was amazing to see so many riders. Big groups, small groups, solo, mountain bikes, road bikes and one skateboard that I saw. I saw @DrIsotope, @TrojanHorse, @tunavic and @Rick@OCRR. Good day for a ride!

Very true! An excellent GMR/GRR ride a closed to motorists 4th of July. We need to do the same thing next year!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-05-18, 10:25 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Every day in the mountains is a good day, and every day on GMR is a great day, but it was especially magical without cars.
Driving up from Carlsbad, we got a pretty late start, I picked up a thorn and had a little GI trouble after eating too much garlic the night before. The flies were thirsty and swarming all over me while I was changing my flat, so pterodactyl kept going. While I was changing it, dozens of riders offered help, but one guy was out of water, so I gave him half of one of my bottles.
It was so cool to see so many riders (and one or two outright weirdos) out enjoying the mountain, and I saw Stefan, Tunavic, TrojanHorse, JimmyNH of course, and it was such a wonderful festive day! We're getting a hotel room next year.
Pterodactyl is super pumped on climbing now and wants to do the Pikes Peak Gran Fondo. I've climbed Pikes twice before, so I already knew there is only1/3 the oxygen at 13,000 feet (with still over a thousand to go!), but I just learned it's WELL OVER TWICE AS HIGH as Mont Ventoux. (14,110 vs. 6,200 feet.)
Can't wait for next year! Wish every weekend was the 4th of July!

Last edited by calamarichris; 07-05-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 11:17 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I had things to buy, people to see and burnt offerings to prepare so I turned around at the shack around 8:00

The scene on the way down was incredible! A couple of hundred riders on their way up, and one lonely skateboarder trudging up the hill towing his board and helmet up with a string.

I can just imagine what the scene at the lodge was like an hour or two later.

Wonder what next year will be like?
We saw your lonely skateboarder zooming down the hill - I think I started up the hill at about 8:15

What a great day to be on a bike! Imagine what that hill would have looked like with 2,000 cars, hmm? Unpossible.

Saw Chris go zooming by - almost didn't recognize him without his La Vie Claire jersey.
Old 07-05-18, 11:33 AM
TGT1

I had the preamble /flag jersey on and the orange camelback. Had to have passed you on the way down I got back to the car about 8:50
Old 07-05-18, 11:40 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Saw Chris go zooming by - almost didn't recognize him without his La Vie Claire jersey.
Sorry I didn't stay longer. Pterodactyl is a competitive little smack-talker and always trying to beat me.
Then at the Village, we had to go wait in line at the Forest Service latrines where I found my chamois had split down the middle. Kinda made for a cool descent.
Old 07-05-18, 12:00 PM
jimincalif

Waiting in line for water at the lodge:

Old 07-05-18, 07:41 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Pterodactyl is a competitive little smack-talker and always trying to beat me.
You are definitely NOT in the "my girlfriend kicks my arse" category, but now that I know her, I reckon she is fully capable of doing it some day.
It was great seeing you boet, and meeting Pterodactyl.
Old 07-05-18, 08:04 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Yup, it was a great day on GMR. Not just for cyclists. I saw skateborders, runners, hikers. I don't know if they'll ever employ a genious in the municipality that will help them figure out that closed GMR benefits a lot more people than a few crazy motorists that use it when it's open. I reckon they can close it at least once a month between April - October.
A couple of things that I'd like to mention:
1) Guys, when going UP, keep to the right and leave as much of road as possible to the guys that descend. I was descending towards the village when a guy in a BCI jersey (hope not Jimincalif) who was climbing on the left side of the road, decided that he must move to the right. Thank god I missed him by a foot or so, otherwise even a good doctor wouldn't be able to determine which body parts belong to which guy. And it wasn't just him, I was bumping in guys like him throughout the day.
2) About 6 miles from the village, I caught up to a guy who was standing on the side of the road, dying for water. I gave him half of the water in my bottle. Chris said that he had to bail out another guy for the same reason. C'mon gentlemen, even a cat can ration his resources. I understand if it was unusually hotter than forcasted. But by SoCal standards, it was outright cold for this time of the year (70F at the village around 11:00 AM). How can you run out of water?
Anyway, a little ranting for otherwise great day in the mountain.
Old 07-05-18, 09:36 PM
TGT1

Yup, it was a great day on GMR. Not just for cyclists. I saw skateborders, runners, hikers. I don't know if they'll ever employ a genious in the municipality that will help them figure out that closed GMR benefits a lot more people than a few crazy motorists that use it when it's open. I reckon they can close it at least once a month between April - October.
1) Guys, when going UP, keep to the right and leave as much of road as possible to the guys that descend. I was descending towards the village when a guy in a BCI jersey (hope not Jimincalif) who was climbing on the left side of the road, decided that he must move to the right. Thank god I missed him by a foot or so, otherwise even a good doctor wouldn't be able to determine which body parts belong to which guy. And it wasn't just him, I was bumping in guys like him throughout the day.
2) About 6 miles from the village, I caught up to a guy who was standing on the side of the road, dying for water. I gave him half of the water in my bottle. Chris said that he had to bail out another guy for the same reason. C'mon gentlemen, even a cat can ration his resources. I understand if it was unusually hotter than forcasted. But by SoCal standards, it was outright cold for this time of the year (70F at the village around 11:00 AM). How can you run out of water?
Anyway, a little ranting for otherwise great day in the mountain.
I cut it short early and only had two nimrods in the wrong lane to contend with, but I'd guess as the day wore on it would have gotten worse.

Bad part is both of them looked old enough to know better!

As early as I headed down it was down right chilly on the descent.
Old 07-05-18, 10:33 PM
jimincalif

2)
Yikes, that's scary. Not sure who that was, there were a few of our group with BCI jerseys. I can say it wasn't me, I was wearing a Breathless Agony jersey yesterday. I was encouraged to see most of the riders around me consciously staying to the right and calling out when passing so they could stay to the right half of the road.

Good advice and glad you avoided a crash. I will be sure to make an announcement about this at future rides.
Old 07-05-18, 11:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Other side of the coin, the speed demons should be adjusting their descending to account for the fact that there are about 100x as many bikes going up the hill as usual. Wanna blast down the mountain? Try the morning of the 5th.

I went down Baldy Road. I saw one other bike, and maybe 3 southbound cars. Went as fast as I wanted, problem free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.