Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Update on Columbia River Gorge Bike Trail?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 08:20 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I am planning on riding the Columbia River Gorge this summer early July. Right now the plan is to catch a bus in Cascade Locks to Hood River. I just don't want to risk riding the interstate. But it would be real nice to take the path if it is finished before I arrive.

https://katu.com/news/local/next-seg...il-takes-shape

Anyone have information on when it might be finished? The photo in the article is awfully encouraging. If not finished in time for my tour, it might be a god reason to return when it is finished.
Old 05-06-19, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Look up some of the Portland Bike shops , or in Hood River, & ask the locals?
Old 05-06-19, 09:54 AM
sleepycactus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Columbia gorge “trail” is a mix of relatively low traffic road and some paved car-free trail. The section from Wyeth to Lindsay creek that is supposed to open this summer is 3 miles long and they are still working on it; no actual date for completion yet. The sections between Viento state park and Hood River will take at least a few more years to complete. There is a PDF that outlines the progress here:

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Regions/...Report-Web.pdf

Even if the Wyeth/Lindsay creek part gets finished this summer, unless you take the bus, you would still have to ride the freeway to get to Hood River. Riding the freeway is not that bad if you are used to riding a high speed shouldered highway. The shoulder can get narrow (by freeway standards); it can shrink to about 4 feet wide in a few areas. There are some grates you ride over if you want to hug the outer edge. But overall, most of it is like riding the expansive shoulder of a scenic freeway with waterfalls on your right and a huge river to your left. Consider bringing earplugs.
Likes For sleepycactus:
Old 05-06-19, 11:05 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by sleepycactus
The Columbia gorge “trail” is a mix of relatively low traffic road and some paved car-free trail. The section from Wyeth to Lindsay creek that is supposed to open this summer is 3 miles long and they are still working on it; no actual date for completion yet. The sections between Viento state park and Hood River will take at least a few more years to complete. There is a PDF that outlines the progress here:

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Regions/...Report-Web.pdf

Even if the Wyeth/Lindsay creek part gets finished this summer, unless you take the bus, you would still have to ride the freeway to get to Hood River. Riding the freeway is not that bad if you are used to riding a high speed shouldered highway. The shoulder can get narrow (by freeway standards); it can shrink to about 4 feet wide in a few areas. There are some grates you ride over if you want to hug the outer edge. But overall, most of it is like riding the expansive shoulder of a scenic freeway with waterfalls on your right and a huge river to your left. Consider bringing earplugs.
In sample spots on google maps, I noticed no shoulder in spots. Is this not true. Talked to the chamber person n in Hood River (rides to top of Mt Hood frequently) she suggested not riding that section.

Things are open all the way to Cascade Locks from Portland, correct?

Are there other options to get to Hood River from Cascade Locks? I understand there is a stern wheeler in town? Any chance it stops at Hood River?
Old 05-06-19, 06:54 PM
sleepycactus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
In sample spots on google maps, I noticed no shoulder in spots. Is this not true. Talked to the chamber person n in Hood River (rides to top of Mt Hood frequently) she suggested not riding that section.

Things are open all the way to Cascade Locks from Portland, correct?

Are there other options to get to Hood River from Cascade Locks? I understand there is a stern wheeler in town? Any chance it stops at Hood River?
I have ridden thru the entire gorge Portland to Hood River in both directions maybe a dozen times. Last time was going east about a month ago.
There are no issues or unfinished sections between Portland and Cascade Locks when I went thru there last.
You can always take the CAT bus, or the Columbia gorge express from Cascade locks from the Columbia market. If you are worried about shoulder width that is the best solution for you. The buses can take 2 or 3 bikes on the front, and maybe more bikes in the underneath luggage hold. I don’t know anything about the sternwheeler other than its a luxury cruise boat.
https://columbiagorgeexpress.com
HOME - CAT
Likes For sleepycactus:
Old 05-06-19, 07:48 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by sleepycactus
I have ridden thru the entire gorge Portland to Hood River in both directions maybe a dozen times. Last time was going east about a month ago.
There are no issues or unfinished sections between Portland and Cascade Locks when I went thru there last.
You can always take the CAT bus, or the Columbia gorge express from Cascade locks from the Columbia market. If you are worried about shoulder width that is the best solution for you. The buses can take 2 or 3 bikes on the front, and maybe more bikes in the underneath luggage hold. I don’t know anything about the sternwheeler other than its a luxury cruise boat.
https://columbiagorgeexpress.com
HOME - CAT

Thanks for the tip about underneath the bus. That is good to know I won't get stuck. I was thinking of alternate plans like taxi in case there was no space. Good to know there should be plenty.
Old 05-08-19, 05:12 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I don't remember anything super bad about the Interstate bit up to Hood River, apart from the noise. I do remember it being one of the few times I've freewheeled up hill with the tail wind.