Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going from clipless to flat pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-19, 04:27 PM
Jonah305

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I've recently started to ride with flat pedals on all my bikes - road, gravel, vintage, etc. - and discovered that because I'm much more confident not being clipped in, I end up enjoying my rides a lot more. I've been riding clipless for over five years but never quite got over the fear of not being able to unclip fast enough in an emergency. I always felt a little on edge being clipped in.

Am I off for feeling this way? It seems that every "real" cyclist I see uses clipless with no worries. Certainly every cyclist in our local group rides seems confident in them. Are there really any major disadvantages to riding with flat pedals?
Likes For Jonah305:
Old 06-23-19, 05:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonah305
I've recently started to ride with flat pedals on all my bikes - road, gravel, vintage, etc. - and discovered that because I'm much more confident not being clipped in, I end up enjoying my rides a lot more. I've been riding clipless for over five years but never quite got over the fear of not being able to unclip fast enough in an emergency. I always felt a little on edge being clipped in.

Am I off for feeling this way? It seems that every "real" cyclist I see uses clipless with no worries. Certainly every cyclist in our local group rides seems confident in them. Are there really any major disadvantages to riding with flat pedals?
To me, the only time clipless is a bit concerning are those times when you have to slow way down to a crawl and risk losing your balance, enough to where you need the feet coming off the pedals fast. But, I've learned when I see a situation like that possibly happening, I unclip at least one foot and rest it on top of the pedal. Helps with confidence and obviously balance if you need it. Experience dictates how proficient you become in those particular situations.
Old 06-23-19, 05:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I do the same thing, unclip one foot as I approach a potential stop. If you're able to keep moving, you can straighten your foot and clip it back in with a very small movement.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-23-19, 05:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
platform peds are the best when riding in uncertain conditions, even when riding in areas that are usually predictable, but may also pose other sudden situations.
Old 06-23-19, 05:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
There was a fair amount of discussion about this a few years ago when Grant P of Rivendell began promoting flat pedals. If you are more comfortable and can still do the rides you like, why not? If you decide you miss some part of being clipped in you can always change back.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-23-19, 05:36 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
On one bicycle I have Crankbros Double Shots.

I don't like having to check my foot position on the pedal; sometimes I catch my heel on the crank arm.

When I have to hammer some, I feel more secure on the clip in side.

Road bikes always clipped in.

Beater was only flats.

I don't think there's any advantage to using the flats side except I don't have to put on my bicycle shoes.
Old 06-23-19, 06:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
If you feel better on the flats, ride with the flats. If there were really disadvantages to using them, would you have to ask the question? No one should tell you how to ride.

I've ridden 225 miles this weekend on Raceface Chesters, I wasn't racing, but I felt "serious" enough .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-19, 08:16 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Are there really any major disadvantages to riding with flat pedals?
The only disadvantage I've noticed is when hammering hard and banging gears. Then my feet tend to move around on the pedals. Not dangerously, but I find it mildly annoying.

But flat pedals have advantages too. Riding in any shoes is a big one. I run flats on my road bike all winter, since it means I can wear warmer shoes. Instant, thoughtless foot removal is another advantage. That's why my mountain bikes only run flats... it makes "emergency dismount" more common than "crash".

I'm pretty sure studies have shown little or no performance advantage to clipless, which agrees with my experience. Still, I like them for the secure attachment in some situations. Like fast road rides, or any fixed gear riding.
Old 06-23-19, 09:30 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Wow you used clipless pedals for over five years and you were insecure about getting out of them. How about a picture or a description of what clipless pedals you were using.

I'm pretty sure studies have shown little or no performance advantage to clipless, which agrees with my experience. Still, I like them for the secure attachment in some situations. Like fast road rides, or any fixed gear riding.

Studies are like surveys, they are very selective in what they study. Pedal force in the down stroke is the same clipped in or not. There is more to it than this. On flat pedals you can't hold the proper foot position on the pedal constantly. This becomes even harder when you use more muscles by pulling and pushing through most of the pedal stroke. Also when you are on a rough road. The bicycle shoes are also designed to allow you to ride and not fatigue your feet. So if you don't use clipless pedals a good pare of properly fitted bicycle shoes can help. I like clipless pedals for all the riding I do.
Old 06-23-19, 10:14 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Do whatever feels right for you. Don't listen to random people on the internet.
They're doing what feels right for them. Or is every rider giving in to peer
pressure of using clipless?

Started commuting 10 years ago. After 6 months; gave clipless pedals a try.
I find that I ride better with them and this is what works for me.
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 06-23-19, 10:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Pedal force in the down stroke is the same clipped in or not. There is more to it than this. On flat pedals you can't hold the proper foot position on the pedal constantly. This becomes even harder when you use more muscles by pulling and pushing through most of the pedal stroke.
Even the pros spend little time "pulling up".

Like I posted above, being clipped in offers some benefits. Performance is low on the list, because as you correctly say, Pedal force in the down stroke is the same clipped in or not.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-23-19, 11:55 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Clipless makes sense if you wanna be super efficient (or win a race or something). Otherwise platform pedals are a good choice. Even for a „real cyclist“ .
Old 06-24-19, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm more relaxed without clipless. Sometimes I'll take the road bikes out for a spin around the neighborhood and just wear walking shoes with the Look and Shimano SPD-SL pedals. It's uncomfortable to mash hard wearing soft sole shoes with those pedals, but that suits my mood on those casual rides.

My hybrids are strictly platforms. I don't like clipless for city riding -- commutes, errands, casual group rides. I don't worry about forgetting to unclip. I'm more like Matt Stephens on the old GCN shows -- takes me forever to get clipped in. When I'm in traffic -- and I usually take the lane -- I don't want to be fumbling to clip in. With platforms I'm often across the intersection before the cars after a red light.

I'm thinking about switching one road bike to those two-sided pedals, with clipless on one side and platform on the other. A couple of friends have those and like 'em.

The GCN fellows (Simon and Matt) did a clipless vs platform test a couple of years ago, both indoors and outdoors. They found very little measurable difference. Both said it felt different. But that didn't translate to significant differences in speed and power.

If anything the test was a bit flawed because neither Matt nor Simon had done much riding with platform pedals, so their pedal strokes looked a bit awkward. Chances are with more practice they'd have narrowed the differences even more between clipless and platform pedals.

But for longer and harder rides I prefer foot retention, mostly for the arch support. I've always had problems with foot cramps, since I was a kid. Rigid soles and good arch support, and consistent foot positioning, help minimize problems with cramps in my arches, calves and thighs. But that's only an issue on hard rides, so I don't need clipless or toe clips on my hybrids.

When I got my first road bike in 30+ years, back in summer 2017, I started out with platform pedals for six months. Some of my fastest times were still from back then. Switching to clipless in January 2018 didn't improve my overall speed, segment speed or ... anything. It's just more comfortable on longer rides at harder efforts. Getting more fit improved my speed, but the pedals and shoes made no difference.

I would have thought there'd be some advantage to spinning faster, but I tend to pedal like a metronome at 90 rpm, clipless or platform. The only time clipless is an advantage for spinning is on fast downhills where I can reach 130 rpm. But if I had taller gears I could mash and ride platforms at the same speed -- which I do on my hybrid. Some of my fastest downhill runs are still on the hybrid, with 50T chainring and 11T small cog. With 13T small cogs on my road bikes, it helps to have foot retention to spin faster. But that's only on downhills. Doesn't matter much elsewhere.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-24-19, 07:27 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got double sided pedals (Deore XT T8000, https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...000-spd-pedals). They work awesome, let me do whatever I want. Both clipped in, both not clipped in, often times on MUPs I'll clip in on the left and ride platform on the right.

But in general, too many people worry about being a "real" cyclist. Stop doing that, you'll enjoy it a lot more. You seem to want to ride flats, ride flats and don;t worry about what others think, its not their bike. I love the RaceFace Chesters on my fat bike.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-24-19, 09:12 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
All have their place. Slow riding in town I can see flat pedals. Also, snow riding and anywhere where slips are more likely and you are less confident about stability.

For my on the road though, clipless offers more confidence as my feet never move around on the pedals over rough terrain or bumps. Of course I'll go many miles without even thinking about needing to unclip on my rides.
Old 06-24-19, 04:12 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Last year I switched from clipless to flat pedals on my long distance commuter bike. It was great up until fall when my knees started to ache in a severe way. Changed back to clipless and the pain went away on the first ride.

Still use flats on the short distance commuter/errand bike, but for anything beyond 10 miles round trip it is clipless.
Old 06-24-19, 08:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Last year I switched from clipless to flat pedals on my long distance commuter bike. It was great up until fall when my knees started to ache in a severe way. Changed back to clipless and the pain went away on the first ride.

Still use flats on the short distance commuter/errand bike, but for anything beyond 10 miles round trip it is clipless.

I literally ride hundreds of miles on flats with no knee problems. What you post kind of confirms what I thought-- if you are going to have problems, you'll know it. Things involving the feet and legs are generally not subtle.

clipless works better for your knees, while the way my feet work, not being able to move them around would be disastrous.

oP seems to have found a clear preference, but shouldn't worry about whether the cool kids would approve.
Old 06-24-19, 10:05 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts

I like flats because:
You can move your feet around. After a few hours of riding, the same position can be annoying.
With wide platform pedals you can use any footwear you want, even flip flops
Good quality flat pedals are cheaper than clipless
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-25-19, 05:12 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...SABEgJD9fD_BwE
Old 06-25-19, 05:49 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I only rode mtn.bikes for decades before owning a road bike. Tried clipless and never did get used to being clipped in. Riding BMX style platforms with pins on the road and mtn.bike now. Ride what feels good to you and helps make your ride more enjoyable.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-25-19, 07:13 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
my only concern is that after riding clip less for a couple of years, I have two pairs of sidi shoes, one for MB and on set for the road
when I try flat pedals after a half hour my feet hurt because of the softer soles.
what shoes do you wear for flat pedals that give you good support and spread the load out on the sole of your foot.
Old 06-25-19, 11:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Being clipped in will prevent shoe to crank arm rub.
A shoe width can allow the sides to rub & cause a squeak when moving about.
Old 06-25-19, 12:42 PM
specialgreen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The thing I miss most when I ride with platform pedals is ability to pull up on the crank while climbing a curb: you ride up along-side the curb (curb-side pedal up!), clip out on the curb-side foot, step onto the curb and lift/swing the front wheel up and over the curb, while pulling up on the street-side pedal. By the time the front wheel is pointed away from the street, the clipped-in foot is in position to push. The rear wheel climbs the curb and the bike shoots away. It's pretty smooth and quick.

This is handy when you need to exit the roadway efficiently, and is much less dramatic than trying to bunny-hop up onto the curb.
Old 06-25-19, 12:48 PM
specialgreen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
when I try flat pedals after a half hour my feet hurt because of the softer soles.
what shoes do you wear for flat pedals.
Good point. I wear the same shoes with clipless and with platform: some old MTB shoes similar to Shimano AM5 (one velcro strap over the top). But I've wondered if someone would make "bicycling footbeds," shoe footbeds which have a stiff carbon-fiber or plastic bottom layer, to stiffen-up non-bicycling shoes.

Last edited by specialgreen; 06-25-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 03:53 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Riding BMX style platforms with pins on the road and mtn.bike now. Ride what feels good to you and helps make your ride more enjoyable.
I have 2 MTBs with those pedals and they are tops for me. I can wear nearly any shoe and stick to the pedal. I also use toe clips and straps on my old road bikes, but that limits my shoe selection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.