Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone been honked at lately?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-08-19, 02:50 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So they're already angry or they wouldn't have honked. Your decision is whether you want to be an agent for increasing or decreasing the tension.
Angry no not in this town.
More mystified than angry.
This is a town near a race track. Drivers either have souped up wannabe race cars or tuned up pick ups. I swear to you one pick up had a tail pipe the diameter of a three gallon pail. That is in no way an exageration. A good sized cat could have crawled in without touching the sides. The mystification comes in by everyone here thinking speed is king. You are road kill if you don't get out of the way. O.K. that last bit is a bit of an exageration.🤗
Old 12-08-19, 02:51 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I was recently watching a You Tube video of people who insist the Earth is flat. The other person in the video asked one of the flat Earth believers why when he jumped up in the air he came back down to the floor. The reply, by the flat earther after a moment of careful thought was, "because you're heavy". Such people vote but maybe they should not be allowed to breed. A related affliction is seen in those who don't believe in global warming, that man never walked on the moon, (it was all fake) and that you cannot see the moon during daylight. That some people go around honking at cyclists or whenever the spirit moves them is just a mild obsession. I may try honking myself, not just at cyclists but at random moments to see if that makes the world a better place.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-08-19, 02:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Not even a wolf whistle.
Old 12-08-19, 03:54 PM
PdalPowr

[QUOTE=berner;21237986]I was recently watching a You Tube video of people who insist the Earth is flat. The other person in the video asked one of the flat Earth believers why when he jumped up in the air he came back down to the floor. The reply, by the flat earther after a moment of careful thought was, "because you're heavy". Such people vote but maybe they should not be allowed to breed. A related affliction is seen in those who don't believe in global warming, that man never walked on the moon, (it was all fake) and that you cannot see the moon during daylight. That some people go around honking at cyclists or whenever the spirit moves them is just a mild obsession. I may try honking myself, not just at cyclists but at random moments to see if that makes the world a better place.[/QUOTE

I am a Fat Earther.
The shadow of my gut is round and bulbous thoroughly convincing me the earth is fat,round and needs to go on a diet.🤗😉🤗
Old 12-08-19, 03:56 PM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Not even a wolf whistle.
Maybe its your breath. 🤗😣🤗

Seriously though,you go through traffic and don't meet up with self righteous horn honkers?
Likes For PdalPowr:
Old 12-08-19, 05:13 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Only when I wear my "Honk if you're H" jersey.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 12-08-19, 06:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Maybe its your breath. 🤗😣🤗

Seriously though,you go through traffic and don't meet up with self righteous horn honkers?
No, they are too busy trying not to hit each other I think. Even for being next to an interstate a Tardis could be in mortal peril here.

I can't blame it all on marijuana sales...
Old 12-09-19, 12:52 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I rarely get honked at in my city. Which is strange considering how large it is. The last time was this summer out in the country. I was already having a bad day with several close passes and about a mile from my destination I got a loud honk. I did "my best friend wave" as a response.
Old 12-09-19, 01:36 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I've read accounts from more than one RAAM racers that of all the drivers they encounter on the road, the ones from California and Arizona are the nicest ones as these tend to be more chilled and relax. It's probably not a coincidence that Cali and Ariz have a high number of cyclists too. The worst drivers tend to be from the Midwest or South.
Old 12-09-19, 05:48 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
it's a good think that drivers honk at you! It's either because they just want to let you know that they're coming, good.

Or if it's pissed off driver, you'll know to move aside.

You can tell the difference in their honk. A friendly toot is a quickie beep. A pissed off honk is a long one. Either way, be grateful that they see you, and "being seen" is probably #1 safety in road cycling.

Honestly, I try make it a habit to just wave at drivers who honk, because I appreciate them not hitting me (however pissed off they may be).

It's the silent drivers that hit and kill. You never are aware where they're coming from most of the time.;
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the years on my commute I have routinely encountered several people, and I like to give them nicknames …

There was a driver in a windowless white van often approaching in the opposite direction who would give me a friendly toot. This was during the time of the Washington DC sniper who also drove a windowless [white] van, so that driver became the “stalker.”

I eventually met him at a coffee shop I routinely stopped at near my destination... He was very friendly
"People honking at me triggers my RAGE"

A good piece of advice I read on Bike Forums (for commuters at least) is that as you get closer to work, contain your rage, in case it’s a co-worker, or even your boss.
My most frequent response to a honk not readily identifiable as "friendly," is to reach out my hand, palm up, in an exasperated gesture, and say, "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT...?!!".

Not infrequently I realize the honk was not directed towards me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-09-19 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added third quote
Old 12-09-19, 06:05 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I've read accounts from more than one RAAM racers that of all the drivers they encounter on the road, the ones from California and Arizona are the nicest ones as these tend to be more chilled and relax. It's probably not a coincidence that Cali and Ariz have a high number of cyclists too.

The worst drivers tend to be from the Midwest or South.
On a cross-country cycle tour, directly from Los Angeles to Washington DC in the1970's, my recollection from a small sampling mostly outside of cities, was that the nicest drivers were in California, Colorado, and West Virginia; the worst in a specific Midwestern state, to remain unnamed. .

Of course my memories may be biased by the general friendliness of the inhabitants.
Old 12-09-19, 06:11 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Not recently but since I put it out there I’ll probably get honked at tomorrow.
Old 12-09-19, 06:20 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I can't recall the last time I got honked at by somebody I didn't know. I'd prefer honks to the close passes, which are way to frequent.

From what I gathered about drivers over the years, the nicest ones are most always in areas outside of where the describer normally rides.
Old 12-09-19, 06:57 PM
Rigsson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
Occasionally

I seem to get honked at two or three times a year. Usually a high school kid that also yells something unintelligible out the window as they pass.
Last time was last week. I was crossing an intersection straight through when a woman making a left turn decided she couldn't wait two seconds for me to get clear. Laid on her horn all the way through the turn. Got the middle finger in response.
Old 12-10-19, 12:44 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I get honked at 2-3 times/ride. The good news, it's usually people giving me a thumbs up, and not the other finger.

I ride a velomobile, so it gets a LOT of attention. I'm probably the most photographed/videoed person in the city when I'm riding the velo.
Old 12-12-19, 07:59 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I just figure it is a bunch of attractive young women honking their horns because I am so good looking! I always wave back!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 12-15-19, 09:20 PM
Hank195

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Just yesterday for me, I think it was the first time this year. Late afternoon, cold for me (just below freezing), I’m huffing and puffing on my local hill loop, part way up there is a white SUV stopped at a small intersection or driveway on left. I get a couple of quick honks?? But there is a logo on the car door - something about personal sports training. I’m sure they were beeps of encouragement, felt pretty good at the time. A little further up the hill I see a couple of runners on their way down so they got a 👍 from me.
Nice moment on an otherwise cold gray ride.
Likes For Hank195:
Old 12-16-19, 08:52 AM
PdalPowr

Originally Posted by Boxkite
I just figure it is a bunch of attractive young women honking their horns because I am so good looking! I always wave back!
Good one.😁
Old 12-16-19, 08:14 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 08:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sometimes I wave and say “Hey! How have you been?” like I know them.
If the honker is a dude in a pickup truck, I'll sometimes blow a kiss. Deep down, I think they like that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-17-19, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I feel like I get honked at a lot but am not always 100% sure if it is at me but I have a guess at least half is for me. I usually sort of ignore it but if they start being nasty about it I will sometimes get back at them. Sometimes I will wave or blow a kiss or just be confused.

Once I got yelled at "get outta here roadie" while I was on my touring bike with a pannier on the side ,wearing normal clothes (actually a rather large jacket with hood as it was cold out) and didn't look at all like a roadie. I was like "huh"? I was so blown back because I was literally going to CVS to buy earplugs and twizzlers for a train trip that I had coming up. It was such a short mundane trip yet in that moment to those people in that car I was roadie even though I also ride off road and mountain bike (and plan on doing it more)
Old 12-18-19, 01:46 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
On two separate occassions, I, while waiting to turn left, I honked at two red light runners (drivers). They had plenty of time to stop as shown by the cars in the lanes right beside them.

And then on a third occassion, I was honked at while waiting to turn left when I was making sure there were no red light runners entering the intersection.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 12-18-19, 07:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
This summer I was on a back road, and this car came around a corner and swerved towards me on purpose. That was my first contact with an angry driver. Luckily I was extremely new and slow at the time, so I jumped off my bike into the ditch.

I tend to stick to back roads sense I’m new to the sport, I am a lot faster now than I was, but the thing that kills me is when people won’t pass me. They have the space on coming lane is clear I look over my shoulder and have a line of cars because the one guy behind me thinks he doing me a favor when he’s not.

just realized none of the above statements have anything to do with honking.
Old 12-18-19, 10:54 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Got honked at this past weekend.
On a back road and was in the middle of my lane when a toyota pickup came around a curve straddling the yellow line and clearly breaking the posted speed limit. Reckon I should have been closer to the edge.....
Old 12-18-19, 01:28 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Only by the geese flying over--but I'd rather they honk at me, than to be dropping "bombs"!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.