Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cadence when climbing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cadence when climbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 04:47 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Cadence when climbing

I have started to use a cadence sensor. I read that an ideal reference cadence is around 90rpm. I've been looking at my cadence and found that I can easily ride at 90rpm (and higher) when descending with little effort. On the flats, at normal speeds, I seem to pedal more around 80rpm, only reaching 90rpm when I want to push myself and go faster than usual.

However, when climbing any meaningful slope (10%, for example) I found I'm totally unable to pedal at 90rpm. I feel really uncomfortable at that cadence, and end doing most of the climbs between 70 and 80, and, sometimes, even falling down to 65rpm if it's a really steep slope (16 - 18%).

What is a usual cadence for such climbs?
Old 12-18-19, 05:07 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Sounds like your climbing cadence is good. I average around 88 rpm, except when going uphill, then it’s whatever I can maintain, usually in the 60s. Spinning is easier on the knees, but what matters is what works for you. On the flats try shifting to the next lower gear, then spin up to maintain the same speed. Do this for brief periods then gradually make them longer.

Edit: seems my estimates were in error. A review of my Garmin data shows my rpm consistently in the high 80s when climbing. Sure felt slower than that! Next year I may experiment with lower cadence to see the effect on HR and power.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 12-19-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 05:13 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Unless your bike has low enough gears, you cadence will be low. You could replace your gearing with lower gears if you were bent on spinning.
Old 12-18-19, 05:13 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if there's a right answer to your question, but, IME my best times on short climbs of 7-10% are produced with cadence 95 & above. This past spring I did a 4 week ftp builder that also increased my ability to sustain high cadence at high watts. The results was evident on competitive group rides when I was able to pedal high cadence seated up climbs and pass others that were standing mashing their way up. I was impressed results considering it was a canned Zwift ftp build program. I didn't cheat the program & fully committed to it... it was a lot of effort but it paid off.
Old 12-18-19, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Most cyclists naturally have a lower cadence while climbing. I know I do. Not a problem or concern IMO. You can try to force yourself to spin up hills at 90+ and see if you prefer it.
Old 12-18-19, 05:29 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
When I was in a training clinic with an actual coach, he had us target low 70s for climbing and 90 for steady/flat. I still use this as a guide, on long climbs I will tend to vary it a bit by changing gears, though rarely more than 80 when climbing. Of course once you're in your lowest gear and the grade gets steeper, cadence will drop.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 12-18-19, 05:45 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I think the best cadence for you depends on what is stronger - your legs or heart/lungs. Low cadence is harder on legs, high cadence requires more work from heart/lungs. Personally I find recommendation of 90rpm is too high for me, my cruising cadence is about 70 and climbing is lower than that. I guess I'm a masher
Likes For tankist:
Old 12-18-19, 06:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
I tend to around 80 on climbs. Too much lower & I really can't stand it. Any higher I find myself looking for another gear. The trick is to find the balance between cardiovascular and muscular systems. Hill climbing is largely about technique. It's a skill. If I'm down around 75 I don't have the right gears or I'm not on the right hill. Low rpm/high torque is hard on your knees & drivetrain. No one at the gym is doing 10 minutes of continuous squats, deadlifts,or leg presses. I don't think I should be either.

88-92rpm seems pretty average for flats just as a matter of habit. Maybe a touch lower if I'm fatigued or just not paying attention.

YMMV

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-19-19, 12:21 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 12-19-19, 01:50 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by Cypress
Unless your bike has low enough gears, you cadence will be low. You could replace your gearing with lower gears if you were bent on spinning.
I have a 34/32 low gear, so I don't usually run out of gears unless I'm climbing something over 16% (which I do, but it's a minor part of my rides).

Thanks it all answers, I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong, and now it seems I'm not 😊
Old 12-19-19, 10:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
If a comfortable cadence for you is 85-90, and indeed you really have low enough gears available, why would this cadence become uncomfortable just because your bike is heading up a gradient?
Old 12-19-19, 10:44 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If a comfortable cadence for you is 85-90, and indeed you really have low enough gears available, why would this cadence become uncomfortable just because your bike is heading up a gradient?
Maybe because the resistance is different? On the flats it's mostly aerodinamic, going up a hill slowly mostly gravity? Or the muscles work differently with the bike at an upward angle?
Old 12-19-19, 10:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Maybe because the resistance is different? On the flats it's mostly aerodinamic, going up a hill slowly mostly gravity? Or the muscles work differently with the bike at an upward angle?
Maybe. I don't dispute the effect on cadence going up a hill.. I tend to drop as well, even if I'm not out of gears. It's just a curiosity. If the group wants to push on the flat to go faster, and approximating the effort you might spend on a more relaxed climb, I don't think I typically see everyone going to real high gear in order to be able to drop their cadence. Sorta a watts is watts discussion I guess.
Old 12-19-19, 11:01 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Cadence is a very personal thing and you should do what feels right. People really started to get into the higher cadence thing after Lance advocated it as a mind game on Ulrich who was a grinder. If you have a muscular build its more likely that a slower cadence would suit you better.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-19-19, 11:42 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
When it comes to cycling the only thing I'm particularly good at is climbing, definitely not cornering, descending, sprinting, etc. so I've done a significant amount of research in this area and do have some advice.

After checking some of my rides this past year that included long mountain climbs at a consistent power and shorter steeper climbs that went up to 20% gradient it appears I almost always average 100 cadence when actually climbing. On flats and descents my cadence drops to 85-90.

From my research and my own experience, if tackling a long climb I've found it's always best to sit up, grip the tops, actively focus on relaxing my shoulders and neck, breath deep from the belly, and focus on a fast, 90+ rpm spin with smooth, consistent, power.

If going after a shorter climb, perhaps just a hundred feet or so, maybe a KOM, with steep gradients, I'll try and gather a decent amount of speed (while not expending too much energy) in the drops and pushing 100-130 rpm into the base of the hill. Once I begin climbing I'll try and maximize the power at the steepest portions and, because I started at such a high cadence, I'll probably only need to drop one gear and likely hold 100 rpm up the hill. When my legs are absolutely flooded with burning agony (hopefully near the top) I'll stand up to engage the slightly different muscles (some hamstring and gluts, not basically just quads) that are hopefully not too fatigued and full-on sprint to the end.
  • Some notes, in this situation (be it during a race, group ride, or KOM hunt) I will actively keep in an aero position unless my speed drops below 20mph, when that occurs I will move to the hoods or tops, gripping tightly (no relaxation) while keeping the power up while focusing on breathing.
  • Try not to keep gear changing to a minimum when climbing, every time you move up or down gears, at that moment, some efficiency and momentum will be lost, it's best to choose the gear you want to be in at the base of the hill.
  • If climbing in a group (especially on a long climb) smile and try to converse with the people around you while looking as relaxed as possible, it will annoy them So much!
As to your specific question on RPM, it's hard to say if RPM itself is something you really need to work on. I personally wouldn't do anything less than 85 RPM on any climb, and even most flats, but that could be more of a genetic predisposition than anything. There's tons of data that suggests self-selected RPM can be the best, there's also plenty to suggest that higher cadence = better efficiency, however, even this has its caveats. It's easy to argue that low cadence and high torque when climbing is bad for the knees, but maybe it strengthens them like a deadlift? So, when it comes down to it, above are my two cents, but realistically, what you're going to find the most are opinions and anecdotal evidence.

A better question is Oval vs Osymetric chainrings...

Edit: Perhaps choose a hill, use your cadence sensor and a heart rate monitor, do a bunch of passes up it with all sorts of different cadences but consistent speeds and see which one is giving the lowest HR?
Likes For firebird854:
Old 12-19-19, 11:49 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Everybody is different

Originally Posted by tankist
I think the best cadence for you depends on what is stronger - your legs or heart/lungs.
^^^ There is merit to this. Maybe something in between? You'll have to find out for yourself. For me, I'm not light, so if I spin a high cadence going uphill, I feel like I'm moving backwards or going nowhere fast...whereas if I mash it a little I can get up and over much faster. What does your physiology and fitness tell you is best for you?
Old 12-19-19, 11:53 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
I think the best cadence for you depends on what is stronger - your legs or heart/lungs.
Neither of these things are immutable.
Old 12-19-19, 05:16 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
FWIW, Seana Hogan (6 time RAAM winner) would occasionally ride with a couple of us at lunch back in the 1990's. She clearly was/is a very accomplished cyclist. As I recall she turned REALLY big gears, even on the flats, where 65 was a kind of typical cadence for her. This seems to be a very personal thing. I was turning 90-95 RPM on these same rides.

dave
Old 12-19-19, 06:59 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I have to disagree about riding climbs at a high cadence in the 90+ range. I've always found that somewhere in the 70 to 85 rpm range to be most effective. I've ridden the Mount Evans hill climb route 6 times and once managed a time of 2:35 that would have usually put a 53 year old in the top 10 on race day. I'm older now, but ride even steeper, but shorter climbs. If I ever fall below 70 rpm, it means I could really use a little lower gear, but that's rare, with a 32/34 low.

FWIW, I can still spin up into the 110-115 range, but 100-105 works best for wind assisted flats. In those conditions, 90 would require too much torque.
Old 12-19-19, 08:51 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Just thinking about climbing Mt. Evans in any gear, at any cadence, at any speed, at any gradient gives me visions of a stroke. I'm a 56 year old clyde but getting better every day. You guys are awesome Carry on...

Glenn
Old 12-19-19, 09:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
If you're climbing 16% grades you don't need advice about cadence from us.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-19-19, 11:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a cadence sensor only on the bike that's usually on the trainer. I took it out a couple of times this week to check my cadence, speed, heart rate, etc., relative to the terrain.

Looks like I average 90+ rpm most of the time, dropping to 70 rpm on seated climbs and 40-50 rpm when standing to pedal.

IOW, pretty typical.

I tend to use a slower cadence on the other road bike that has Biopace chainrings, around 80 rpm. Just feels unnatural to spin with those. A lower cadence and harder gear seems to flow better. At a slower cadence with the 42T smaller Biopace ring I can feel a bit of the leverage, but my cadence is less smooth -- more surging.

My heart rate climbs along with cadence, but saves my legs. And a lower cadence with harder gears keeps my HR lower but can cook the legs if I'm not careful. Either technique has no significant effect on my average speed along my usual 20-40 mile route. If anything, the faster cadence, higher HR and faster breathing have been a bit of a detriment in cold dry air this winter. Aggravates my asthma and makes it harder to breathe. I usually feel better after a hard ride if I'm on the bike with Biopace rings that nudge me into a slower cadence, higher effort per revolution, mostly because it avoids aggravating asthma attacks.

But the differences between the two bikes and techniques are pretty small.
Old 12-20-19, 02:01 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
A person's best cadence is determined by two major categories with the second having a combination of subcategories.

Category one: How much an effort as measured in speed to you want to hit? Are you looking at a hard effort with best obtainable speed or a more medium, and sustainable endurance pace?

Categorie two with subcategories: Determining the best optimal match for your power to weight ratio, actual power, gear preference, accurate heart rate zones, and all of that will eventually with training and experimenting determine the best cadence.
Old 12-20-19, 04:10 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by big john
If you're climbing 16% grades you don't need advice about cadence from us.
Why? since I've had a child 3 years ago I'm not really fit. Mainly commute twice a week to work (60/70km round trip depending on the route chosen) because I don't have much free time.

I live in Catalonia, in a town near Barcelona. Here it's difficult to go anywhere without hitting at least one 10% climb. This is not Holland. I replaced my 11-28 cassette with a 11-32 for this reason (and I would use a 11-34 if my derailleur accepted it). With the 28 I could climb a 16% grade, but my legs were trashed at the top and I have a history of knee issues.

This is one of the climbs I regularly do when coming back from work:

After this climb, I have to keep mostly climbing for 12 more km with a lower grade (not more than 10%), except fort a really short section (maybe 150m) that peaks at 18%. After that it's all downhill until home.
Old 12-20-19, 07:30 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Why? since I've had a child 3 years ago I'm not really fit. Mainly commute twice a week to work (60/70km round trip depending on the route chosen) because I don't have much free time.

I live in Catalonia, in a town near Barcelona. Here it's difficult to go anywhere without hitting at least one 10% climb. This is not Holland. I replaced my 11-28 cassette with a 11-32 for this reason (and I would use a 11-34 if my derailleur accepted it). With the 28 I could climb a 16% grade, but my legs were trashed at the top and I have a history of knee issues.

This is one of the climbs I regularly do when coming back from work:

After this climb, I have to keep mostly climbing for 12 more km with a lower grade (not more than 10%), except fort a really short section (maybe 150m) that peaks at 18%. After that it's all downhill until home.
Annnnnnnnnnnndd I'm jealous of where you live.
Likes For firebird854:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.