Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giving up riding on the road

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giving up riding on the road

Old 12-20-19, 06:51 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
No need to hand-hold at all.

Breaker-Breaker 1 9, anyone remembering those days eons ago where one also had to key the mic? 10 4???
Yes. Also if you had a HAM call you used a radio (with a license and some training). But those were less dangerous, as it was a simplex conversation......one side at a time, and the other side would wait for your comeback if you busy driving. These cellphones are a duplex conversation and much more engaging.
Old 12-20-19, 11:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I sometimes wonder why it's not a law in all states that one can't be on a handheld cellphone while driving. In KY, it's only under 18 that bans talking on a handheld cellphone while driving. There is discussion that 2020 may bring about a change--hopefully!!
https://www.police.tas.gov.au/what-w...mobile-phones/

"There’s a common myth that a driver can use their mobile phone while sitting in traffic or at traffic lights – and it’s incorrect – so drivers, when thinking of using your mobile phone, remember the advice from MC Hammer “Can’t touch this”.Don’t be that person who uses their mobile while driving, you face a fine of $300 and 3 demerit points – and worse, with the inattention you risk crashing and seriously injuring or killing yourself or someone else.

It is illegal to touch your mobile phone while driving this includes having your mobile sitting on your lap and touching and part of the phone for GPS.

The ONLY time it is legal for a driver to use their mobile phone is if it is mounted within the vehicle and can be used WITHOUT touching any part of it."
Old 12-21-19, 05:29 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Finally the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has banned handheld phones while driving. Whether the law is obeyed is another matter. Mass drivers are among the worst in the US, which is why they are referred to as "Mas....s Actually, I think hands free devices are almost as distracting. I even find the radio distracting when I'm driving a car in traffic.
Old 12-21-19, 07:17 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
https://www.police.tas.gov.au/what-w...mobile-phones/

"There’s a common myth that a driver can use their mobile phone while sitting in traffic or at traffic lights – and it’s incorrect – so drivers, when thinking of using your mobile phone, remember the advice from MC Hammer “Can’t touch this”.Don’t be that person who uses their mobile while driving, you face a fine of $300 and 3 demerit points – and worse, with the inattention you risk crashing and seriously injuring or killing yourself or someone else.

It is illegal to touch your mobile phone while driving this includes having your mobile sitting on your lap and touching and part of the phone for GPS.

The ONLY time it is legal for a driver to use their mobile phone is if it is mounted within the vehicle and can be used WITHOUT touching any part of it."
Georgia has a similar/same law.... Nothing but a self-congratulatory, mental stroking by politicians and police.
In my disgruntled moments, I think to write an editorial to the above auto congratters, inviting them to admit to a "BIG FAT FAIL" or to a super quick card game: "BULLSPIT".... I'll be yelling out in the first round....
Old 12-21-19, 08:03 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Haven't read all comments but OP being considerate to his wife seems reasonable and rational. Were it a case where the wife is just wrong and it led to fights you could get a divorce. But OP seems to like his wife and she has a point.

I feel a lot like OP very often. My habit is 60 years, not 30. Not giving it up but full understanding of any who do. And riding with my wife is the reason we are together in first place.
Old 12-21-19, 09:05 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
A not so interesting, but fine example of Americans and their addiction to phones while driving.

While riding my bike this morning, I'm cutting through a church parking lot but riding near and parallel to the street. Why? Because it positions me better to cross the next street to get to a donut shop I like to go to at the end of my ride.

Anyway, I see this lady in a burnt orange Subaru of some sort coming down the street, she uses her turn signal indicating she is turning into the parking lot ahead of my path. Since no one else is nearby, I thought the turn signal was meant for me. Thumbs up for that, I slowed down so she could pass across my path.

However, as soon as she gets in the parking lot and in my path, she stops her car to look at her phone. I loudly say "beep beep" and go around her. If any cars would have been behind her, they would have been stuck hanging out on the street, but at least cars have louder horns than my bike does.

After I get across the street to the donut shop I see her roll the extra 100 feet into a parking spot. She just couldn't wait those extra 5 seconds to park her car for good, whatever was on that phone was that important.

Just so y'all know, no animals were harmed in the making of this anecdote.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-21-19, 09:15 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
The above is also why people in cars here stop 1, 2, or even 3 car lengths away from a stop light or a car in front of them. They gotta look at that phone screen ASAP!!!
Old 12-21-19, 11:43 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
After about 30 years of riding on the road, I'm seriously considering giving it up. Several things have given me pause:
  • Getting hit by a car two years ago
  • Increasingly dealing with narrow misses due to oblivious / distracted driving on most rides
  • Jerks deliberately driving dangerously on most every ride
  • The availability of good alternatives: extensive limestone paths around my house, single track, gravel roads etc. I enjoy running, I enjoy swimming.
  • General responsibilities of being a father/husband/main earner.
  • I live in an area not very conducive to riding anyway: terrible weather, lots of traffic, limited route options etc

Overall, I also have a general sense that I'm "swimming upstream" by riding on the road. Drivers seem in general agreement that we have no right to be there. Police won't defend my rights to be there. Courts generally grant great leniency to drivers. Co-workers think I'm crazy. Wife has said she's terrified every time I ride on the road. Etc.

So, I think I'm done here. Anyone else feel similarly?
I don’t feel like I’m done, but I completely understand your situation. If it doesn’t feel right, you shouldn’t be doing it. The points you’ve made are reasonable and you have excellent alternatives. If your giving up road riding - with comfortable alternatives - improves your relationship then why not? Listen to your conscience.

-Kedosto
Old 12-21-19, 09:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
The above is also why people in cars here stop 1, 2, or even 3 car lengths away from a stop light or a car in front of them. They gotta look at that phone screen ASAP!!!
how else are they going to find out what color the light in front of them is? The APP will tell them.
Old 12-22-19, 07:39 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How do you know he has a pot belly and long beard?
The politically correct term is "Aero Belly" Plus, he might not even be an engineer

On a serious note, I don't consider giving up road riding because there really isn't any other place to ride as far as I'm concerned. I'm not driving somewhere to ride a bike and there aren't any gravel roads, MTB trails or bike ways around that wouldn't require me to start the truck.

As a side note, if someone lives in a area where traffic/roads don't make it safe or desirable to ride the first half hour before getting to the rural good stuff, an E road bike could be the answer. Tick along with dense traffic at 28 mph and then reduce the assistance once you get to the good stuff.

Last edited by nomadmax; 12-22-19 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-22-19, 10:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I definitely limit where I ride on the road, and now that I ride somewhere less road-friendly, I ride it less.

I think much of the “gravel bike” craze is simply the desire to get away from so many cars. That’s the appeal for me, at least.

No cars is a lot of what i like about MTB. Despite it being something of an adrenaline sport for me, and despite the fact that I wreck 50 times more on the trail than on the road, I think I am actually much safer in terms of life-changing injuries.

The other aspect of mtb which makes me worry less about getting killed or maimed is the speeds involved. Single-track MTB is generally MUCH slower.
Old 12-22-19, 12:39 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If you can live a satisfying life without road cycling, feel safer, and are less stressed .... wait, what the problem again?
there is no problem. I support efforts for making the roads safer for cyclists and more bike lanes. But I pick and choose where I feel safe riding on the road. I enjoy gravel riding and have some decent multi use paths. I also enjoy riding indoors.
Old 12-22-19, 01:39 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
IMO riding in traffic sucks hard. Not riding at all sucks worse. But that's just me, and I support and respect your decision whatever it is. I think being a good husband and father who is there for your family comes first. If you decide you need to give up riding roads to be that, then that's what you should do.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 12-22-19, 09:43 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Riding on the roads in the U.S. is quite dangerous, at least compared to bicycling in other countries.

We're fortunate to live in a city with an increasing number of protected bikeways. They are not nearly up to Dutch standards but are massively safer than sharing the road with a bunch of inattentive people in 4000lb steel cages.
Old 12-23-19, 06:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Riding on the roads in the U.S. is quite dangerous, at least compared to bicycling in other countries.

We're fortunate to live in a city with an increasing number of protected bikeways. They are not nearly up to Dutch standards but are massively safer than sharing the road with a bunch of inattentive people in 4000lb steel cages.
I am not surprised to see that the US fares so much worse for bicycles deaths.

I AM surprised how much worse we fare for automobile deaths.
Old 12-23-19, 08:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I AM surprised how much worse we fare for automobile deaths.
I'm not. It's my understanding that one goes through far more training to get a license in some/many European countries. I have ridden in both Italy and Spain. Spent seven weeks touring the latter. Drivers seem much more skilled and less risky than in the states. The day before I flew home from Spain I was tooling around when a driver did something stupid without looking. He was so apologetic I thought he was going to get out of the car, get down on his knees and beg for forgiveness.

I will also bet there is less drunk driving in Europe. In '88 I visited Swedish au pair I had been dating in the states. One night we went into the city (Gothenberg) for dinner, drinks and a movie. She said we had to take the bus because we would be drinking. A first offense DUI would result in a license suspension for a year. On the way back to the 'burbs there were all sorts of people on the bus, including older adults who were dressed like they had been to the symphony.
Old 12-23-19, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
I'll add that when I was a cycling "camp" in Italy for a couple of weeks with some friends back in 2013 motorists were very courteous to cyclists, but you were most definitely expected to follow the rules of the road. I live in Philly, where that sort of thing is viewed as optional. One morning our group was in the early stages of a long ride when we came to a traffic circle. Their was already a car in the circle. The rule is you yield to a car already in the circle before entering. The front part of the group wasn't having it and nearly got creamed because the driver fully expected us to yield the right of way.
Old 12-23-19, 11:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne

Source of this graph, please. Curious how the data was gathered for total kilometers traveled on roads by bicyclists in each country.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-23-19, 12:28 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
After about 30 years of riding on the road, I'm seriously considering giving it up. Several things have given me pause:
  • Increasingly dealing with narrow misses due to oblivious / distracted driving on most rides
  • The availability of good alternatives: extensive limestone paths around my house, single track, gravel roads etc. I enjoy running, I enjoy swimming.
  • I live in an area not very conducive to riding anyway: terrible weather, lots of traffic, limited route options etc

Overall, I also have a general sense that I'm "swimming upstream" by riding on the road. Drivers seem in general agreement that we have no right to be there. Police won't defend my rights to be there. Courts generally grant great leniency to drivers. Co-workers think I'm crazy. Wife has said she's terrified every time I ride on the road. Etc.

Without question my rides in 2019 were significantly more threatening than in any previous year. In 2018 I did a long ride (1200 miles), mostly on roads, from North Carolina to north of Boston. Not once did I feel endangered (with the exception of aggressive dogs in southern Virginia). In 2019 road rides I cannot say I ever felt safe. Folks throwing stuff, intentionally close passes, ridiculous "false turns." At age 69 now I have wondered the same thing. And my road mileage for the year is now only 1500 miles compared with usual annual miles over 3000.
Old 12-23-19, 01:20 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I understand...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand your feelings....I have come to many of your conclusions in my own cycling experience.
Two years ago, I did choose to limit cycling to my immediate neighborhood, solely.
It is peaceful and quite lovely and allows me the ease and safety of a smooth surface, very little traffic with the speed limit of a sane 25 mph.

At age 79, the days of my all day rides are over....but I still enjoy the trusty Raleigh whenever the mood strikes.
Julius in Ohio
Old 12-23-19, 02:16 PM
Ed333

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
For commuting I am lucky to have different options which allow me to avoid having to ride on busy dangerous roads...For recreational riding I do gravel roads/trails, rural roads with little traffic and singletrack trails...Distracted drivers and impatient drivers are the No.1 enemy to cyclists and it has gotten worse over the last few years.
How do you go about taking on the increasingly bad culture among drivers? I struggle with that question, things have been getting steadily worse. As a local active living advocate, bike/ped committee volunteer, etc. , we struggle with it. I am older now, no longer able to put on a sudden spurt, and there are many roads I used to enjoy but now avoid. Seems like the culture of Entitlement rules...and some of our fellow cyclists do not help, riding abreast at chatting speeds, not observing traffic signs/signals, etc...it feeds the negative attitudes. I wish there was a magic button to push.
Likes For Ed333:
Old 12-23-19, 02:38 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A Blackburn Dayblazer in the $50.00 Range will solve your problem. Drivers start moving over a block away. I ride recumbent trike in San Francisco.
Old 12-23-19, 02:39 PM
alston28

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not there ... yet

Not there yet, but I understand and appreciate the sentiment. It’s dangerous out there, and most drivers hate us. The only solution I see is we need lots more bicycle riders on the road.
Old 12-23-19, 05:16 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts

I don't feel the same, but I totally understand.
Old 12-23-19, 05:22 PM
vintage1987

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode for 40 years and now ride only on the paths around Tucson. We have 140 mile loop that never crosses the road. But drivers on the streets would rather run you in a ditch than be respectful of your rights. They continually ride with phone in hand and their 2 right wheels in the bike lanes. Ride here and die, so choose the paths.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.