Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squared off tire tread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Squared off tire tread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 10:26 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Squared off tire tread

Does anyone round those corners for better handling?
Old 01-05-20, 11:11 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I used to rotate tires, swapping them every few hundred miles, front to back and back to front. Now I keep the front tire up front and only change the rear tire about every 1500 to 2000 miles, YMMV.... Good folding Gatorskins only run about $35 each (Ebay, 700x25, snag two at a time, $65 delivered for both), so I go through two or three a year. Front tire really never wears out on a road bike. Rounding (shaving) the corners I personally don't recommend...
Old 01-05-20, 11:26 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Don't understand. You mean take a tire and shave of some side tread thinking it would corner better? I'd just buy tires with better handling in mind for the terrain you plan to ride on.
Old 01-05-20, 11:47 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Don't understand. You mean take a tire and shave of some side tread thinking it would corner better? I'd just buy tires with better handling in mind for the terrain you plan to ride on.
i think the OP is referring to a tire where the tread is wearing and beginning to flatten the center and square off with a more defined angle near the sidewall, resulting in a tire that wants to stay upright and slightly resists leaning into a turn.
I would think it would be a lot of time and effort to attempt to reshape the tire into a more curved profile again, and result in shortening the service life of the tire, and possibly make the handling of the tire unpredictable.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 01-06-20, 12:00 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Try a belt sander with fresh abrasives. Hold it at an angle to the wheel rotation and it will stay even all around.
Old 01-06-20, 04:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Try a belt sander with fresh abrasives. Hold it at an angle to the wheel rotation and it will stay even all around.
this is going to work out swimmingly...... (sarcasm to be clear here)

to the person asking the question. Just get a new tire, and no, noone ever rounds off a squared off tire, we buy new tires.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-06-20, 08:33 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I'm thinking that wide MTB tires will have squared knobs on them, maybe he means those? They can be rough on pavement. That still doesn't mean you should shave them off.
Old 01-06-20, 08:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I don't think it will accomplish anything or improve handling.
Old 01-06-20, 08:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that'll buff right out

Old 01-06-20, 09:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
A flattened profile on rear tires is normal as mileage accumulates. Ignore it and just use the tires until they are worn to a very thin tread depth or until the casing shows in a spot or two. The flattening has no noticeable effect on handling or cornering. Do not sand or grind the edges off.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-06-20, 10:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
this is going to work out swimmingly...... (sarcasm to be clear here)

to the person asking the question. Just get a new tire, and no, noone ever rounds off a squared off tire, we buy new tires.

This is the kind of question that occurs to me while out riding. I could do it with decent results, but wouldn't bother,

and rubber dust is really messy. But I do some things that most don't, e.g. wheel balancing.

I think it's safe to assume that you don't know everyone, so I won't take your answer as conclusive.
Old 01-06-20, 10:30 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
A flattened profile on rear tires is normal as mileage accumulates. Ignore it and just use the tires until they are worn to a very thin tread depth or until the casing shows in a spot or two. The flattening has no noticeable effect on handling or cornering. Do not sand or grind the edges off.
+1. We round off squared edges for motorcycle tires where you have a much thicker tread to work with and having the ability to make a smooth roll into a high speed corner makes a big difference in stability, not so much on a bicycle and you're removing valuable rubber that might prevent a flat.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-06-20 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 11:33 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I sand my tires one mile at a time on the road. When any part of them gets too thin for comfort or performance, I reture them to teh trainer tire pile and put new tires on. Even race tires aren't that expensive. There's no reason to ride bad tires.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-06-20, 01:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
This is the kind of question that occurs to me while out riding. I could do it with decent results, but wouldn't bother,

and rubber dust is really messy. But I do some things that most don't, e.g. wheel balancing.

I think it's safe to assume that you don't know everyone, so I won't take your answer as conclusive.
by all means try it if you wish.
In all seriousness, if you do, good luck and hopefully unequal sanding won't make a "thumpy thump" and or dangerously thin the thread.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-06-20, 01:35 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by idlechatwoodcraft
This is the kind of question that occurs to me while out riding. ...
That's where it should have stayed.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 01-06-20, 02:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
siping the tire might be better if surface conditions warrant it.
Old 01-06-20, 03:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Dirt track motorcycle racers often filed or sanded tires to suit tracks and conditions. Bicycles rarely encounter terrain where that's necessary or would offer any advantage.

I've heard of a few cyclists filing down shoulder knobbies to fit all terrain tires on road bikes with narrow frames for light duty gravel and off road use. Side knobbies on tires like the Conti SpeedRides don't really do much anyway, other than fast turns on grass. Might as well file 'em down if someone wants to squeeze 'em into a narrow frame. The shallow file tread does 99% of the work.

The only time my tire develops a flat wear pattern is when I use it on the Cycleops trainer for awhile. The rear tire wears a flattish shape. One road ride rounds off the edges. I use Continental Ultra Sport II on one bike for both the trainer and outdoor rides. No problems in almost two years doing that with Conti Ultra Sport II in 700x23 and 700x25, folding and wire bead. Good tough tires and cheap. I wouldn't do that with my pricier road tires.
Old 01-06-20, 09:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
A bicycle tire's thin carcass makes it compliant enough the squared off shape does not matter.

This tire still handled like it was brand new:

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-06-20 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 06:55 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Another discussion about a kluge that doesn't need to be done. There are tires for every condition. Just buy the tire you need. Doing anything to them will only shorten the life.
Old 01-07-20, 10:14 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bldegle2
I used to rotate tires, swapping them every few hundred miles, front to back and back to front. Now I keep the front tire up front and only change the rear tire about every 1500 to 2000 miles, YMMV.... Good folding Gatorskins only run about $35 each (Ebay, 700x25, snag two at a time, $65 delivered for both), so I go through two or three a year. Front tire really never wears out on a road bike. Rounding (shaving) the corners I personally don't recommend...
Agree with bldegle2 and all others: lay off shaving the tires. If you really want to reshape the tires, ride a lot in places with a lot of turns.

Regarding rotation, you have to be very careful if you rotate so that the front tire is always as good as (or nearly so) as the rear. This would require really frequent rotations. Dogma (backed by experience) states that your front tire should always be your best tire. Strong recommendations by many (including St. Sheldon of Brown) is to NEVER rotate your tires rear-to-front. My practice is to ride til the rear wheel is done (fabric showing trough or bad puncture or contact area worn down) and then take the relatively unworn front, shift it to the back, and replace the front tire with new. This maximizes the service life of expensive tires, minimizes the work of rotation, and satisfies the "always have the best tire in front" dogma/best practice.

For all riders, ALWAYS have the best tire in front, and for most folks and almost all situations, NEVER rotate the rear tire to the front.
Likes For WizardOfBoz: