Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Law in France About Modifying e-Bikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

New Law in France About Modifying e-Bikes

Old 03-17-20, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
It was sarcasm. The idea that ebike riders that go over 15mph should be punished severely, yet non-powered bikes can go as fast as they want with maybe a small fine.
It's not that the bikes cannot go faster than 25 kph, the pedal assist cannot function beyond that. Without assist mode you can go the regular speed limit
I have an ebike limited to to 25 kph and yes, I would like it to go faster (assisted), but those are the laws. Being in a democracy, I suppose I could campaign to change it, but I am satisfied with the law for now, not for me, but for the selfish riders who would place lives at risk because they have they have the need for speed.

Last edited by MarcusT; 03-18-20 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-18-20, 07:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I am satisfied with the law for now, not for me, but for the selfish riders who would place lives at risk because they have they have the need for speed.
do you think motor vehicles should have their speed limited? I do. I'm not sure how bicycles are more dangerous than cars, there are many examples every day of pedestrians being killed by motorists driving at illegal speeds. And nothing is done
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-18-20, 10:32 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
It's not that the bikes cannot go faster than 25 kph, the pedal assist cannot function beyond that. Without assist mode you can go the regular speed limit
I have an ebike limited to to 25 kph and yes, I would like it to go faster (assisted), but those are the laws. Being in a democracy, I suppose I could campaign to change it, but I am satisfied with the law for now, not for me, but for the selfish riders who would place lives at risk because they have they have the need for speed.
No information here relevant to my point. I know everything you just said. The sarcasm is that going over the 25kph on any bike powered or not presents an equal risk to society. The penalty should reflect that, not if someone removed a speed restriction. Queue the argument powered bikes weigh more. Yes that's a point, but it's not a year in prison point. Being in a democracy doesn't always prevent outlandishly punitive ill thought out laws.
Likes For fly135:
Old 03-18-20, 04:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
The problem is, many times, they take someone innocent with them
I'm pretty sure there are as yet ZERO deaths of this type recorded. 100mph? Seriously? There is no such thing. I'd be surprised if anyone has cracked 50 mph on an e-bike! An e-motorcycle, of course. Most LEO, most people can readily see the difference between and e-bike and an e-motorcycle. Only on BF do I see this nonsense about people hotrodding ordinary e-bikes to go 100mph. In your dreams.
Old 03-18-20, 09:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
We can’t have political content in threads/posts outside P&R. It’s difficult not to have political content with a subject like this. So there are two options. One is keep posts non-political. The other is we close the thread or move it to P&R. Your choice.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 03-20-20, 11:24 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
CC the mayor and see what happens.

Originally Posted by jgjulio
Before law enforcement can do anything to those that are dangerous outlaw riders there has to be a law making that behavior illegal. The problem always is in the interpretation of that law by local law enforcement. The enforcement can be logical and appropriate or it can be motivated by other biases that make it a problem.
I agree that what you say is true. I complained about the ebike hotrodders (unicycle, skateboard, scooter with an electric motorcycle hub motor etc..) via email. Wrote back from a low level cop and said he was going to contact the eshare committe. I wrote back saying he was misenterperiting the law with the statutes and CCing the mayor and his captain. The Captain wrote back CCing everyone I had and more and said he was on it with extra patrols. I think they now know these aren't toys and under the nature of wolf in sheeps clothing that the ebike represents. This is the Future.;
Old 03-21-20, 08:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That video "this is the future" doesn't look that bad. I have seen videos from people going much faster than car traffic on their ebikes, and the car traffic wasn't going slow
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-21-20, 09:47 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
There are guys on Endless Sphere that have pedal-equipped bikes that can go 50 mph easily and some probably much faster. M1Sportechnik has some VBLA(very-bicycle-appearing) bikes in the 45 or so mph range.
Old 03-23-20, 12:28 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by 2old
There are guys on Endless Sphere that have pedal-equipped bikes that can go 50 mph easily and some probably much faster. M1Sportechnik has some VBLA(very-bicycle-appearing) bikes in the 45 or so mph range.
And? What? How can this possibly be news. Do you get this upset when someone uploads YouTube video of guys getting over 50mph on downhill street runs in SoCal? A wipeout at 50mph is a wipeout at 50mph, regardless of whether an e-assist is involved or not. I gotta say I am more disgusted at all the hand-wringing on BF over e-bikes than the e-bikes themselves. Very shortly y'alls are going to really have something to worry about.
Old 03-23-20, 12:43 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
And? What? How can this possibly be news. Do you get this upset when someone uploads YouTube video of guys getting over 50mph on downhill street runs in SoCal? A wipeout at 50mph is a wipeout at 50mph, regardless of whether an e-assist is involved or not. I gotta say I am more disgusted at all the hand-wringing on BF over e-bikes than the e-bikes themselves. Very shortly y'alls are going to really have something to worry about.
I was merely commenting on speed, and don't care one way or the other. The individuals assembling fast bikes on ES are extremely creative and the M1 bikes are the best crafted ones I've ever seen. Neither is for me at this point. My commuter goes 33+ mph which is fast enough for me for now.

Last edited by 2old; 03-23-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 10:49 AM
Leisesturm

The bicycle community has sent a resounding "we don't need no stinkin' e-assist" refusal to the e-bike industry. Adoption is very low. Shaming of early adopters is a thing. Prices are insane because of that low buy in. Standard bikes are impractical transportation because of the limits of human strength and endurance, but the inflated ego's of the majority of cyclists refuses to acknowledge this. Practical bike commutes are under 5 miles each way. A very small contingent of hard core bike commuters accept that riding for an hour to complete a 8mi to 10mi morning and evening commute makes good use of time. Even fewer kid themselves that they can do 13mi to 15mi each way bike commutes but in reality they don't manage that more than a couple of times each week. So we mainly continue to use our cars for real commute distances and to transport our bicycles to state parks and other off street cycling areas. Who am I. But, and I'm just saying. All this car use has a downside. It's literally killing us off. In about 100 years we will be all gone. In 50 we won't really want to be around anyway. All because of the insane over-reliance on cars for single person transportation. The lithium battery and mid-drive e-assist could literally have saved humankind from extinction but only a few really got it. Sad.
Old 03-23-20, 11:27 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The bicycle community has sent a resounding "we don't need no stinkin' e-assist" refusal to the e-bike industry. Adoption is very low. Shaming of early adopters is a thing. Prices are insane because of that low buy in. Standard bikes are impractical transportation because of the limits of human strength and endurance, but the inflated ego's of the majority of cyclists refuses to acknowledge this. Practical bike commutes are under 5 miles each way. A very small contingent of hard core bike commuters accept that riding for an hour to complete a 8mi to 10mi morning and evening commute makes good use of time. Even fewer kid themselves that they can do 13mi to 15mi each way bike commutes but in reality they don't manage that more than a couple of times each week. So we mainly continue to use our cars for real commute distances and to transport our bicycles to state parks and other off street cycling areas. Who am I. But, and I'm just saying. All this car use has a downside. It's literally killing us off. In about 100 years we will be all gone. In 50 we won't really want to be around anyway. All because of the insane over-reliance on cars for single person transportation. The lithium battery and mid-drive e-assist could literally have saved humankind from extinction but only a few really got it. Sad.
Sort of in agreement, but the ebike, shortly will out sell normal bikes. Most major cities in N America and all of Europe are embracing ebikes with a passion.
There is hope
Old 03-24-20, 06:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think that the problem is Americans can't force themselves to see the value in an ebike. Are they really much cheaper in Europe, where they are selling much better? My lbs wasn't selling ebikes, but now they have been because of customer demand. They still don't have any on the floor, because people want different things.

I reject the notion of ego, I don't want an ebike for recreation, just for transportation. It just doesn't match my idea of recreation, that's a personal thing. That's a bit like the time I rode past a kid riding circles in his yard. He yelled something like "mine is better." But it's just different, not better. And somehow, I was riding 130 miles that day and he was wearing a rut in his parent's yard.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-24-20, 07:45 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think that the problem is Americans can't force themselves to see the value in an ebike.
Americans don't see the value in bicycles for transportation in the first place. E-bikes are more popular in places where people were already commuting by bike. The choice for many europeans is 'do I ride a conventional bike or a motorized bike?' The choice in the US is 'do I expose myself to weather and traffic riding a bicycle, or do I just keep driving my car?'
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-24-20, 10:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yes, they don't see it as a car replacement. Even here in this hilly area, an ebike would be a good car replacement.
Old 03-25-20, 07:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think that the problem is Americans can't force themselves to see the value in an ebike. Are they really much cheaper in Europe, where they are selling much better? My lbs wasn't selling ebikes, but now they have been because of customer demand. They still don't have any on the floor, because people want different things.
My friend, who bought an e-bike specifically for commuting, provides me with a running total about how much money he is saving by not driving. He goes into great detail, even including the cost of charging batteries, which he offsets with solar cells. The direct value is indisputable; however it does not factor in such indirect issues about safety, possible theft, having to get out of bed earlier, weather, messing up your hair-do, having to change clothes at work, etc. Each person will assign a value (subconciously?) to each of those to bias the balance sheet toward the status quo.
Old 03-25-20, 09:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

My commute is either 5 or 7 miles, depending on how I want to go. 7 mile route is a bit more pleasant. It takes approximately the same amount of time to go by car as by unassisted bike. I'm pretty sure it would be quicker by ebike than a car, and I wouldn't have to pay for parking. If I were going in every day, there is no question I would have an ebike.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-25-20, 09:54 AM
2old

I use my ebike for errands and it's at least as efficient as driving because I can avoid some traffic lights. However, wasn't feasible for the 20 mile commute because the freeway is much faster than the route by bike (possibly by a factor of three).
Old 03-25-20, 01:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If everyone with a commute like mine in our town got an ebike, then my commute time would go up because there would be a parking problem. Good problem to have though. As it is, we have a huge parking problem for cars, which I always thought was weird in this rural place. 20000 cars trying to park at the same time is always going to be a problem