Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 08:46 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I actually think bikes look better without decals. It makes them a lot cleaner, more pure. If they have to have them, make the decals small. Unfortunately, that does not sell widgets.
As for your bike, chrome/shiny is always hot. The brown saddle is iffy now with the move to black.
The saddle is getting changed sometime soon, I'm not jiving with it like I hoped. The only reason I haven't done it yet is that seatpost is a royal PITA to change saddles on

Originally Posted by LAJ
I like the after if you went with a modern saddle and handlebars. I believe the frame can be vintage, but the rest needs to be updated. Or, keep it all period correct, as @noodle soup says.
Handlebars are a bit tricky with these shifters I think. I'm not sure how a modern bar shape would jive with the 90s lever shape.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Overall, I really like the lines of the bike. Not a fan of the rims, though. Well, I'm a fan of the rims, I've built wheels with them myself, but I'm not a fan of them on this bike. Too jarring of a difference in aesthetic unless you're going full-on retro frame with modern everything else. I'd also go with either brown/brown or black/black on the saddle and bars.
I go back and forth liking and disliking the wheels on this bike. I agree that it would look better if everything was modern and black but I'd rather prioritize keeping drivetrain, shifters, and stem/seatpost all matching and leaving the wheels the only black component. It's already bugging me a bit that I'm mixing Shimano and Campagnolo, but at least the crank has a bit of Campagnolo attitude IMO.

If I had my way this would be all 10 speed carbon Record, but that's not sitting in my parts bin right now
Old 03-23-20, 09:07 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Handlebars are a bit tricky with these shifters I think. I'm not sure how a modern bar shape would jive with the 90s lever shape.
They work well with these VO handlebars. https://velo-orange.com/collections/handlebars/products/dajia-cycleworks-short-and-shallow-handlebar

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-23-20, 09:15 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The saddle is getting changed sometime soon, I'm not jiving with it like I hoped. The only reason I haven't done it yet is that seatpost is a royal PITA to change saddles on
That looks like a SR Custom P3 seatpost. That's a real PITA. Right up there with a Campy 2 bolt design. Get yourself some version of a SR Laprade or a copy and the PITA will go away. It will look the same.

VeloBase.com - Component Listing
Old 03-23-20, 09:18 AM
noodle soup

That looks like a SR Custom P3 seatpost. That's a real PITA. Right up there with a Campy 2 bolt design. Get yourself some version of a SR Laprade or a copy and the PITA will go away. It will look the same.

Velo Orange also has some nice silver seatposts that won't break the bank, https://velo-orange.com/collections/seatposts

Old 03-23-20, 09:22 AM
seypat

I go back and forth liking and disliking the wheels on this bike.
You could go with something like the Araya SA-30. It's an updated version of a classic rim from back in the day. The Araya name will give you the link to the past. Plus, it's shiny, and black. It also comes as a black rim with light decals and machined brake tracks.

https://www.araya-usa.com/700crims/sa-30-super-aero-rim

https://www.retro-gression.com/products/araya-sa-30-rim

Last edited by seypat; 03-23-20 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 09:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I like the Time. The Nishiki is cool, but would be more better with black bar tape. It would set off the white cable housings nicely.
I don't like the look of black frames with black tape. On this bike, the white tape is finished with red - a nod to the flag of Japan, and the heritage of the frame.
Another view... https://imgur.com/7Xkwtqz

The Nishiki is hot. Might be hotter with black bar tape and the Conti GP Classic dark gummies. I like the white cable housing and the Turbo. Awesome saddle! Slap it on straight out of the box and go do an all day ride. No break in required.
The Time, unfortunately looks like ever other red/black/white bike out there. There is a sea of them in every brand made. Those, and black on black bikes. They all look the same. Like Army ants marching on towards world domination.
Interesting that you don't like the black on black look, but that's pretty much what you suggested for the Nishiki The gumwall tires - like the brake hoods - are consistent with the era of the frame and components. I agree 100% about the Turbo. Damn comfy!!

Valid complaint about the Time - lots of red bikes out there. Red is classic...and hot!
Old 03-23-20, 09:32 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Velo Orange also has some nice silver seatposts that won't break the bank, https://velo-orange.com/collections/seatposts

I believe that I have a SR Laprade in the right size in my parts bin, unfortunately I need the longer setback that the P3 offers. It's the only one I found in 26.8mm with a decent amount of setback. Frame geometry is steeper than I prefer for fit concerns at 74°/74°. Naturally, I didn't know that I like slack seat tubes until owning this for a couple years

You could go with something like the Araya SA-30. It's an updated version of a classic rim from back in the day. The Araya name will give you the link to the past. Plus, it's shiny, and black. It also comes as a black rim with light decals and machined brake tracks.

SA-30 Super Aero ? Araya USA

https://www.retro-gression.com/products/araya-sa-30-rim
Never heard of those before, thanks! Not too bad weight-wise considering how much metal is there.
Old 03-23-20, 09:44 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't like the look of black frames with black tape. On this bike, the white tape is finished with red - a nod to the flag of Japan, and the heritage of the frame.
Another view... https://imgur.com/7Xkwtqz

Interesting that you don't like the black on black look, but that's pretty much what you suggested for the Nishiki The gumwall tires - like the brake hoods - are consistent with the era of the frame and components. I agree 100% about the Turbo. Damn comfy!!

Valid complaint about the Time - lots of red bikes out there. Red is classic...and hot!
I think it is more about white tape in general. I've put it on bikes with various colors from light to dark thinking it would do the trick. It never does for me. Even if the bike has white cabling, I don't feel it with white tape. I end up changing it out for something else. Probably just me.
Old 03-23-20, 09:46 AM
noodle soup

I believe that I have a SR Laprade in the right size in my parts bin, unfortunately I need the longer setback that the P3 offers. It's the only one I found in 26.8mm with a decent amount of setback. Frame geometry is steeper than I prefer for fit concerns at 74°/74°. Naturally, I didn't know that I like slack seat tubes until owning this for a couple years
Nitto S-65 might work for you.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/nit...-2-x-250-11031
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-23-20, 09:54 AM
seypat

I think it is more about white tape in general. I've put it on bikes with various colors from light to dark thinking it would do the trick. It never does for me. Even if the bike has white cabling, I don't feel it with white tape. I end up changing it out for something else. Probably just me.
I have found a light shade of tape that works for me, if the bike has lots of shiny aluminum components. The tape is kind of shiny and matches the rest of the bits pretty well. This bike might look better with silver rims.

Last edited by seypat; 03-23-20 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 09:59 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I have found a light shade of tape that works for me, if the bike has lots of shiny aluminum components. The tape is kind of shiny and matches the rest of the bits pretty well.

The tape on my Nishiki is the white, 2mm version of that same stuff. I'm a clean and bright white tape kind of guy.
Old 03-23-20, 10:28 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Eric F
The tape on my Nishiki is the white, 2mm version of that same stuff. I'm a clean and bright white tape kind of guy.
The Nishiki is a sharp ride. Here, I'll do you a favor. You, or anyone else won't have to wonder what the dark gummies look like on a black frame before purchasing some. Bent frame. Wall art now.

Old 03-23-20, 10:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The Nishiki is a sharp ride. Here, I'll do you a favor. You, or anyone else won't have to wonder what the dark gummies look like on a black frame before purchasing some. Bent frame. Wall art now.

Thanks. You just confirmed for me that I picked the right tire for the look I was going for. Too bad that Miyata is toast.
Old 03-23-20, 02:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
That looks like a SR Custom P3 seatpost. That's a real PITA. Right up there with a Campy 2 bolt design.
Meh. You just need the proper tool:

If your saddle has a slot you don't even need that, as you can access the bolts through the slot.

I'm actually rather fond of the Campy two-bolt posts. The angle is infinitely adjustable, and once you tighten them down, they stay put.

N.B. The Sakae Ringyo Custom P3 is actually a copy of the French Simplex post. And for that matter the Sakae Ringyo Laprade design was licensed from the French Laprade post manufacturer.
Old 03-23-20, 04:34 PM
seypat

So true about having the right tool for the job. A front CV axle puller is a fine example. If you don't have the tool, your'e not going to be successful.
Old 03-23-20, 07:10 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
My TCR SL, Madone SLR, Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina and Cervelo R5 Disk.

I'm in love with all of 'em.
Old 03-23-20, 07:35 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
No love previously with the non-aero levers and downtube shifters.

Lets try this again with Campagnolo 8 speed and modern wheels:

Just wanted to say that this photo has me re-evaluating the '77 Panasonic frame set that's been hanging on my wall for about a year. It was ear-marked for a classic build, but I really like the wheelset on your Schwinn. Thanks for the new shopping opportunity!
Likes For Jadesfire:
Old 03-24-20, 06:02 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
2019 Cervélo R3 DI2 Rim Brake with Flo 60 wheels

Old 03-24-20, 06:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by slowgo
2019 Cervélo R3 DI2 Rim Brake with Flo 60 wheels

Hot. Not feeling the orange spots on the rims. At first glance, I thought they were spoke reflectors.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-24-20, 06:20 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Hot. Not feeling the orange spots on the rims. At first glance, I thought they were spoke reflectors.
Waiting on the Stealth Black stickers to come in from Flo and the spots will go. I prefer all black rims myself.
Likes For slowgo:
Old 03-25-20, 11:56 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts

My 2018 NOS frameset built with Record 12 mechanical; I have a Berk Lupina saddle and Campagnolo Bora Ones on the way.
Old 03-25-20, 12:06 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Just wanted to say that this photo has me re-evaluating the '77 Panasonic frame set that's been hanging on my wall for about a year. It was ear-marked for a classic build, but I really like the wheelset on your Schwinn. Thanks for the new shopping opportunity!
I like them a lot, for mid-range alloy wheels. They're strong and reasonably light. Only gripe is that while they have a machined brake track, they are anodized after the fact. Your brake pads will wear off the anodizing. So if that bugs you then don't get the all-black ones. These wheels are not that old and they're already showing brake track wear.
Old 03-25-20, 12:08 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Meh. You just need the proper tool:

If your saddle has a slot you don't even need that, as you can access the bolts through the slot.

I'm actually rather fond of the Campy two-bolt posts. The angle is infinitely adjustable, and once you tighten them down, they stay put.

N.B. The Sakae Ringyo Custom P3 is actually a copy of the French Simplex post. And for that matter the Sakae Ringyo Laprade design was licensed from the French Laprade post manufacturer.
This does have the slot at the back. I had a lot of issues with the angle slipping until I really really wrenched down on the nuts. Thank god they're steel and fairly large diameter.
Old 03-25-20, 12:41 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by kansukee

My 2018 NOS frameset built with Record 12 mechanical; I have a Berk Lupina saddle and Campagnolo Bora Ones on the way.
so tiny that it’s cute.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-25-20, 12:46 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
I like them a lot, for mid-range alloy wheels. They're strong and reasonably light. Only gripe is that while they have a machined brake track, they are anodized after the fact. Your brake pads will wear off the anodizing. So if that bugs you then don't get the all-black ones. These wheels are not that old and they're already showing brake track wear.
Good to know. That would bug me, though I was thinking about making it SS/Fixed w/ only a front brake. Not 100% sure yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.