Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage collection

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 05:44 PM
47Ronin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 13 Posts
Vintage collection

Hi All
I've come into a collection of my Dad’s bikes as sadly he is no longer able to remain at home.
Whilst in lockdown here in the UK I’ve had them out of the shed looking over what there is and I hope to get at least a couple rideable soon. A couple are probably (or rather definitely) beyond my skills and the collection is rather daunting when I stand back.
Plus, there are 23 wheels in total... surely there’s a 24th somewhere 😂. Many are fiame (not sure of spelling, sorry). Most seem to be rims with glued on tubs. The tyres I don’t think will be any good as most have been on for 15-20 years. There are probably 4 or 6 of what I would think of as normal rims, the type that take a tyre and an inner tube.
Also a Campagnolo Omega Strada hardex wheel set.

There's also a box of cycle parts including numerous pedals- some look like they have B8B on them.
A few chain rings, a couple marked CL Chater-Lea and a mix of Campagnolo and Suntour mechs.

So the bikes are:

Hetchins - frame number H12971 - almost rideable - pedals needed & I need to change the tubs???? or get a new wheel set..

Allin - frame number 999 - set up as a TT bike so need handlebar change and same as above on pedals & wheel front.

Carpenter Track Frame - no. 4690. - total build required.

Pink track frame - I can’t find any identifying marks - single speed, ready to go but no brakes 😱

Ted Pritchard frame - frame no. 873. Total rebuild needed. Rusty so needs treating and sealing I guess but I’d loathe to have it shot blasted as I love the original appearance. Would like to rescue it if possible and ride it still looking scruffy but original. I believe it’s called patina 😂.

Last but but not least and a must resurrect for me -
Tandem Hobbs and Barbican- originally a track Tandem - the only numbers I can find are on the rear BB - three separate numbers 29 and 428 and A101.
re enamelled and rear mech attachments/braze ons added by Roberts late 70’s or early 80’s

Will post a few photos once I’ve passed 10 posts. And update with any progress made.

Thanks for reading and any advice gratefully received especially with should I use period parts or more modern parts. Also should I invest on modern wheels?

Thanks again
Nigel
Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 03-31-20, 06:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Sounds like a ton of good stuff and a ton of fun. With the tools and a workbench, you can do it all. Start with one bike. The one that fits you best.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-31-20, 06:36 PM
47Ronin

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sounds like a ton of good stuff and a ton of fun. With the tools and a workbench, you can do it all. Start with one bike. The one that fits you best.
Thanks SurferRosa.
Wish I knew more about it all on the building side of things.
Wheels, BB’s and head sets are a mystery to me 😂.
Old 03-31-20, 06:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by 47Ronin

Thanks for reading and any advice gratefully received especially with should I use period parts or more modern parts. Also should I invest on modern wheels?

Thanks again
Nigel
...I'm more of a period parts guy on stuff like those you list. But it sounds like you have some period parts in your misc boxes. Or you can rob them from other bikes in the collection.
If I have any useful advice, it is that this is supposed to be an enjoyable endeavor. So whenever it stops being enjoyable (you'll know), it's time to take a break and come back to it later.

Lately, I seem to be enjoying painting one or two frames a year. I only do it long enough to finish one frame at a time, so it remains enjoyable.

You're lucky if all those various bikes of your father's fit you well. All I inherited from my old man was a 1960 Cadillac with giant fins that got 9 mpg.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-31-20, 06:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Thanks SurferRosa.
Wish I knew more about it all on the building side of things.
Wheels, BB’s and head sets are a mystery to me 😂.
There are tons of videos and with some advice on here, just take it slow. Find one YOU'D like to keep and make it beautiful.

Headsets are mysteries to most people. Bottom brackets are surprisingly easy to understand and difficult to remove....

I'm sure if your dad is an enthusiast, he's got tools galore, and would be tickled pink for you to restore his beauties!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-31-20, 06:56 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear of your father.

Good on you inheriting the enthusiasm for these classics! If possible, I would review some of them with your father- acquisition, history, if and where ridden, related old photo's, etc..

Listed are highly prized and collectable. Take detailed inventory, attempt to note specific components and details.

If mine, would strictly rebuild as preservation (no repainting, no modern wheels) and best attempt for period correct. Expect patience but fun hunting for parts.

Looking forward to seeing your projects.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 03-31-20, 09:00 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,130 Posts
Your father's bike collection is stellar! Many of us would be proud to own just one of those bikes. I agree with the sentiment of trying to restore with period parts any bikes you plan to keep. Fortunately for you Ebay UK is a good source for most parts you might need for those bikes.

I agree with the approach suggested by SurferRosa . Start with one bike. You'll learn a great deal as you work your way through that one bike. Don't let the enormity of the whole endeavor deter you. The folks here are very knowledgeable and very helpful. When you aren't sure how to proceed post a photo or two of your project and you will get lots of help.

If you and your father are planning on selling any of the bikes don't put any more effort or expense into that bike than finding the correct parts in the collection to go with it. It is difficult, especially for someone not familiar with the nuances of vintage bikes, to recoup any money you put into them.

Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 03-31-20 at 09:01 PM. Reason: redundancy
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-31-20, 10:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Hi All
I've come into a collection of my Dad’s bikes as sadly he is no longer able to remain at home.
Whilst in lockdown here in the UK I’ve had them out of the shed looking over what there is and I hope to get at least a couple rideable soon. A couple are probably (or rather definitely) beyond my skills and the collection is rather daunting when I stand back.
Plus, there are 23 wheels in total... surely there’s a 24th somewhere 😂. Many are fiame (not sure of spelling, sorry). Most seem to be rims with glued on tubs. The tyres I don’t think will be any good as most have been on for 15-20 years. There are probably 4 or 6 of what I would think of as normal rims, the type that take a tyre and an inner tube.
Also a Campagnolo Omega Strada hardex wheel set.

There's also a box of cycle parts including numerous pedals- some look like they have B8B on them.
A few chain rings, a couple marked CL Chater-Lea and a mix of Campagnolo and Suntour mechs.

So the bikes are:

Hetchins - frame number H12971 - almost rideable - pedals needed & I need to change the tubs???? or get a new wheel set..

Allin - frame number 999 - set up as a TT bike so need handlebar change and same as above on pedals & wheel front.

Carpenter Track Frame - no. 4690. - total build required.

Pink track frame - I can’t find any identifying marks - single speed, ready to go but no brakes 😱

Ted Pritchard frame - frame no. 873. Total rebuild needed. Rusty so needs treating and sealing I guess but I’d loathe to have it shot blasted as I love the original appearance. Would like to rescue it if possible and ride it still looking scruffy but original. I believe it’s called patina 😂.

Last but but not least and a must resurrect for me -
Tandem Hobbs and Barbican- originally a track Tandem - the only numbers I can find are on the rear BB - three separate numbers 29 and 428 and A101.
re enamelled and rear mech attachments/braze ons added by Roberts late 70’s or early 80’s

Will post a few photos once I’ve passed 10 posts. And update with any progress made.

Thanks again
Nigel
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

You could not be more in the right place.

And have the right mindset, this is a fantastic collection, you seem to have great cursory knowledge.

Some of the crusty, rusty can be the most satisfying to work with and mitigate, many times great results come from some fairly simple techniques.

You have an excellent opportunity to do your Dad proud.

Can't wait to see these.

Make it so.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-01-20, 03:05 AM
47Ronin

Thanks everyone.
I’d like to keep them period where possible although I’ve never ridden a bike with tubs/tyres you glue on 😬
This is my 10th post so hopefully I can now post a few photos of some of the bikes and bits and pieces.
Stay safe everyone.
Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 04-01-20, 03:14 AM
47Ronin

Hi
Best start with a fresh faced youngster on his bike. Age 17 in his first time trial. It looks like he’s on a Hobbs which sadly isn’t in the collection.

Old 04-01-20, 03:23 AM
47Ronin

Here’s the ratty crusty Ted Pritchard which I think is beyond my limited skills although there is something about it that calls to me “please save me and take me out”. I guess it’s the condition that scares me.

Old 04-01-20, 03:32 AM
47Ronin

This one I think will be one of the first to do. Hobbs Tandem - track bike re- enamelled by Roberts and modified to take derailleur.
Some wheels, a couple of brooks saddles or equivalent, some period bars, pedals - I wonder if the 4x B8 ones in the box of bits are period ? And maybe that’s all it will take to get it on the road.

That 58 Chain ring might need changing for my little legs 😂

Last edited by 47Ronin; 04-01-20 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 03:39 AM
47Ronin

HA few bits and pieces :

There’s a Gran Sport derailleur in the box. The Nuovo Record is on the Tandem.
Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 04-01-20, 04:22 AM
47Ronin

The Carpenter track frame.

Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 04-01-20, 04:24 AM
47Ronin

The Allin which I’d like to change back to road from his TT set up.

Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 04-01-20, 04:28 AM
47Ronin

The Hetchins bought as a replacement early 80’s I think as his old one was stolen.

Some pedals needed and I’m still not sure about riding on tubs.
Old 04-01-20, 04:30 AM
47Ronin

Finally the Pink one 😎. No frame ID or number that I can find.

Old 04-01-20, 04:59 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Wow great photo of your dad, and what a great collection of bikes! SO many interesting things! I really like the biplane fork crown on the pink frame. And I also really like the lugs on the Ted Pritchard--can't tell if those rough patches are severe rust or something else from the pics, but if not bad rust damage to the point of weakening structure then I'd definitely save that one too. Have never seen a track frame modified to take a derailleur.

I'd suggest identifying what wheels go with the tandem first, as sorting/replacing wheels can get expensive: They may have heavier spokes, more spokes, and/or wider spacing for the rear wheel. I would not be dissuaded from using the tubular rims, though that is a separate topic. In fact you've got the raw material here for lots of great posts.

I have found putting vintage bikes and frames back on the road an addictive hobby, and this forum a terrific resource. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the projects as they progress!
Likes For KenNC:
Old 04-01-20, 06:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very cool collection and lots of great memories. As you rebuild these bikes, you might want to start an individual thread on each one. That way you document your build and you'll get some ideas from the posters how best to proceed.

I have my Dad's old bike. It's not as old as these, though. It's a 1993 Bridgestone XO 2; it's a fun bike to ride and yeah it has a lot of memories for me as well.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-01-20, 07:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The Carpenter track frame.

carpenter often had well styled lugs.
looks like there may be the owner’s name on the top tube?
if your father’s name, one to definitely reassemble.
Old 04-01-20, 07:31 AM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
If possible, spend some time with your dad, remotely if necessary, and write down some of his memories of these bikes. It will serve a couple purposes: you’ll share some memories with him and also attach some provenance of interest and build details to the bikes which future owners may value. I especially like the old photo you posted.
Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 04-01-20, 08:17 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
If possible, spend some time with your dad, remotely if necessary, and write down some of his memories of these bikes. It will serve a couple purposes: you’ll share some memories with him and also attach some provenance of interest and build details to the bikes which future owners may value. I especially like the old photo you posted.
I could not agree more...much more important than restoration at this moment, spend the time now, not just to chat about bikes but life in general.
I think in the long run, it will mean much to you.
My best to you and your family, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-01-20, 10:34 AM
47Ronin

Originally Posted by repechage
carpenter often had well styled lugs.
looks like there may be the owner’s name on the top tube?
if your father’s name, one to definitely reassemble.
Hi
yes his name is on there and his Cycling Club. It is one that I would like to ride. I’ve contacted a guy called John Gill who is very knowledgeable about Carpenter frames and the number corresponds to early 50’s.
Cheers.
Old 04-01-20, 10:46 AM
47Ronin

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I could not agree more...much more important than restoration at this moment, spend the time now, not just to chat about bikes but life in general.
I think in the long run, it will mean much to you.
My best to you and your family, Ben
Hi
yes, once this dreadful Covid 19 situation has past and there’s no risk of taking the infection into the home I will take some photos with me and try to get some stories about the frames from him. Didn’t really think anyone else would be interested. I know a little but definitely not enough.
Likes For 47Ronin:
Old 04-01-20, 11:01 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
What a fantastic collection. Your father has great taste in both frames and parts.

Re: the condition of the Pritchard, it looks like it's worth getting the paint and rust off to evaluate what's underneath. Both Mercian and Rourke Cycles do very nice restorations. They would be a good place to go to to get an evaluation. A light sandblast would probably reveal the true condition of the tubes.
Likes For TenGrainBread:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.