Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking to upgrade my Wheel set

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking to upgrade my Wheel set

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 08:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
So you didn't weigh your wheels but are telling everyone what they should weigh. Well, at least we can see your ethical structure.
I told you what they weigh -- the lightest set weighs about 1300 g and the heaviest set weighs about 1540 g.
Old 04-20-20, 10:14 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I told you what they weigh -- the lightest set weighs about 1300 g and the heaviest set weighs about 1540 g.
So you fully believe that you can get a set of 40-50 mm aero wheels that weigh that for £750 huh? Prove it.
Old 04-20-20, 10:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
So you fully believe that you can get a set of 40-50 mm aero wheels that weigh that for £750 huh? Prove it.
You can get some from LightBicycle at about 1550g for less than 750 dollars.
Old 04-20-20, 10:30 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Carbon 50/60mm Tubular Rim Brake Wheelset

An option for the OP. Even with shipping, I believe it's still under your budget.
Old 04-20-20, 10:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html You can configure it to come in as a wheelset for under 1500 g for ~$800 or less. 45 mm deep. That's 1500 for the set. Sure that doesn't include tires or tubes, but you could get some vittoria corsa G+ 2.0 for about 500 g for a pair and maybe another 200 g for 2 fairly heavy tubes. That's 2200 g. Your front wheel (the lighter of the two) weighs over half that.
Old 04-20-20, 07:36 PM
rdeeui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I got a set of Reynolds Aero 65 blacklabel for less than £750.
Old 04-21-20, 04:45 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Interesting interlude.

Back to the OP's question - Lightbicycle wheels, man. Great value and you'll get a very nice wheelset for your budget. : good quality, relatively inexpensive and modern rim profiles. And - from what i can gather - good aftersales service too, if needed.
Old 04-21-20, 12:30 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Carbon 50/60mm Tubular Rim Brake Wheelset

An option for the OP. Even with shipping, I believe it's still under your budget.
Is the OP looking for tubular rims? PSIMET said these are particularly inexpensive. This example doesn't seem relevant (it doesn't seem you looked at it closely either).

Tubular wheels are still the pinnacle of performance in road. They have fallen out of fashion because most riders assume they can’t figure out how to properly glue their tires or it seems like too much work. As a result we can bring high quality tubular wheelsets to market that out perform clinchers and sell at a fraction of the price. A great opportunity to be at a distinct technical advantage over your competition.
Old 04-21-20, 12:38 PM
Jadesfire 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Is the OP looking for tubular rims? PSIMET said these are particularly inexpensive. This example doesn't seem relevant (it doesn't seem you looked at it closely either).
Considering it doesn't seem like the OP knows exactly what he wants, either, I was presenting an option featuring his main criterion of carbon rims that also managed to be within/below his price range. Particularly inexpensive does not make it a poor choice, and if he's interested in trying carbon rims on that kind of a budget then perhaps he might be willing to learn about tubulars in place of tubeless over tubes? It's not out of the realm of possibility- slim, I grant you, but not unheard of.

Though yes, OP, an option more like the Lightbicycle examples would be less of a learning curve.
Old 04-21-20, 12:50 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Considering it doesn't seem like the OP knows exactly what he wants, either, I was presenting an option featuring his main criterion of carbon rims that also managed to be within/below his price range. Particularly inexpensive does not make it a poor choice, and if he's interested in trying carbon rims on that kind of a budget then perhaps he might be willing to learn about tubulars in place of tubeless over tubes?
No, that they are for tubular tires makes it (very likely) a "poor choice" (an irrelevant/meaningless example).

It's not out of the realm of possibility- slim, I grant you, but not unheard of.
Really, really slim.

If he doesn't know exactly what he wants, tubulars (aren't they more expensive?) doesn't seem like a useful answer at all.

Though yes, OP, an option more like the Lightbicycle examples would be less of a learning curve.
This recommendation makes sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-21-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 01:14 PM
Jadesfire 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, that they are for tubular tires makes it (very likely) a "poor choice" (an irrelevant/meaningless example).
Really, really slim.
If he doesn't know exactly what he wants, tubulars (aren't they more expensive?) doesn't seem like a useful answer at all.
This recommendation makes sense.
Well, fair enough, I did forget to clarify the tubulars vs tubeless. And there were other, more appropriate options provided to the OP anyway.

Last edited by Jadesfire; 04-21-20 at 01:26 PM.
Likes For Jadesfire: