Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

28mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on my Giant TCR - nice!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

28mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on my Giant TCR - nice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 04:10 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Late to this I know, but fwiw, just about all sealing issues with tubeless can be easily addressed with rim tape, either replacing old tape or adding a second layer.
What if you have a massive bead leak on a rim that uses no tape (due to no spoke holes)?
Old 05-30-19, 04:36 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Exactly, so if I can run them as soft as I want with tubes, tubeless is not gaining me anything in that department.
Sure. But that's typically too hard and is neither fast nor comfortable and not how I'd set it up. But, you're right - if you want to pump your tires up hard then you gain nothing by going tubeless.
Old 05-30-19, 06:09 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
What if you have a massive bead leak on a rim that uses no tape (due to no spoke holes)?
Faulty tire or faulty rim?
Old 05-30-19, 07:28 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Sure. But that's typically too hard and is neither fast nor comfortable and not how I'd set it up. But, you're right - if you want to pump your tires up hard then you gain nothing by going tubeless.
So 55/65psi is hard for a 28mm tyre (70kg rider)?
I wouldn't of thought so.
Under that pressure starts to not feel good for hard cornering and sprinting.
Old 05-30-19, 08:20 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
So 55/65psi is hard for a 28mm tyre (70kg rider)?
I wouldn't of thought so.
Under that pressure starts to not feel good for hard cornering and sprinting.
That’s interesting. I weigh considerably more than do you and I ride at 66/70Psi and thought that might be a bit high and was going to drop it 5% or so. I also found a noticeable difference with tubes. Rode like a truck with tubes and very supple and connected without.
Old 06-23-19, 06:42 PM
3rdcoast

Bikes: 2019 Giant Propel, 2017 Giant Revolt, 2015 Cervelo P3, 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2008 Giant OCR c3,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Schwalbe Pro One 28's on my Giant Propel SLR one wheels. I had a hole to big for glue to seal so was going to remove the tire to replace or patch. I ended up cutting the tire off because I could not break the bead away from the rim..

Anyone know of an easier way to get that tire off the rim?

fyi. No trouble with the front wheel which is 17mm wide, rear wheel is 19mm wide

Last edited by 3rdcoast; 06-23-19 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add
Old 06-24-19, 05:46 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast
I have the Schwalbe Pro One 28's on my Giant Propel SLR one wheels. I had a hole to big for glue to seal so was going to remove the tire to replace or patch. I ended up cutting the tire off because I could not break the bead away from the rim..

Anyone know of an easier way to get that tire off the rim?

fyi. No trouble with the front wheel which is 17mm wide, rear wheel is 19mm wide
Yep. I use these tires with Enve 4.5 and they will seal with no air loss without sealant. The downside is a bead that is hard to break. Lots of thumb pressure to push the bead to the center. I also use a plastic type wedge between the inside rim and bead to twist it into the center. Got to do both sides to center than plastic tire iron etc.
Old 05-10-20, 08:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I’ve just fitted some tubeless 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires to my 2018 Giant TCR (Advanced 1), and I’m very pleased with the results.

I was a bit concerned that the tires wouldn’t fit the frame, but my internet research proved to be correct: the 28mm Schwalbes inflate to just under 30mm @80psi and are about 26mm in height above the rim. This is on the 17mm internal width Giant PR2 rims.

There is about 3-4mm clearance to the fork crown at the front, and a similar distance from the seat tube at the rear. Clearance everywhere else is ample.

The ride quality is *way* better than the stock 25mm Giant Gavira tires. I had a near miss at a junction with those tires on a slightly damp road, when they had very little grip. That relegated the TCR to be a “dry roads only” bike until I found a solution. The Schwalbe Pro Ones apparently need about 60 miles / 100km “run-in” to get maximum grip in the damp, but they feel grippy to me even in the early morning dew-covered roads.

They also roll really well, feel great in the corners, and are really comfortable after the 25mm Giant tires.

I started at 85 psi, but found that to be uncompliant, so reduced to 70-75psi for my 72kg (158lb) weight. Below 65psi, the front wheel squirms a bit when riding out of the saddle, but would be fine if seated. These pressures make for a really comfortable ride that makes me want to use the TCR for commuting.

It isn’t all roses though; getting the tires on the PX2 rims was very easy - I didn’t even need tire levers. However, I couldn’t seat them with my track pump and had to go my LBS to pay for the privilege of them fitting the tires. It took them a while, even with a compressor. One tip they gave me was to do an initial fit of a new tire with an inner tube so that the tire expands to it’s final shape, and then remove the tube, and fit again.

The tire loses a bit more pressure during my normal ride than a 28mm GP4K II with a butyl tube, but I always check my tires before a longer ride, so this isn’t a big issue for me.

Time will tell if the puncture protection and durability of the Schwalbes is good or not, but they’ve given a new lease of life to my Giant TCR and I’m loving it!
OP - sorry to revive this thread, but could you provide an update on your appreciation of this setup (if you still have them on)? Also, would it be possible to let me know at what pressure they start rubbing?

I am considering upgrading my TCR Adv Pro 2018 to 28mm & would like to make sure I won't get any frame rubbing. I currently run 100psi and would drop the pressure to 90 or even less (I am a little heavier than the average joe ).

My LBS told me 28mm wouldn't fit, but I know that some of them would. The Pro One is actually the tire I would like to purchase.
Old 05-10-20, 09:36 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Keep in mind that since the OP, a new Pro 1 has been released. The new Pro 1, with Addix and the orange '1' sidewall logo, are smaller/more true to size on modern width rims. If you look it up, I think that they're made to measure out to the nominal width on 19mm internal rims, but do confirm for yourself.
Good to know. I don't have a digital caliper to exactly measure the current clearance, but it seems like I have between 3mm to 6mm (1/8'' to 1/4'') of clearance on each side of both my tires inflated at 100psi right now. Adding an extra 1.5mm tire width on each side might not rub if a 28mm stretches/widens as equally as a 25mm when inflated. I am sure this is not the proper way to determine that, but it's a good start.
Old 05-10-20, 09:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Good to know. I don't have a digital caliper to exactly measure the current clearance, but it seems like I have between 3mm to 6mm (1/8'' to 1/4'') of clearance on each side of both my tires inflated at 100psi right now. Adding an extra 1.5mm tire width on each side might not rub if a 28mm stretches/widens as equally as a 25mm when inflated. I am sure this is not the proper way to determine that, but it's a good start.
You have 3mm of clearance right now? 4mm is the general minimum that manufacturers want to see for debris, etc, but it's not uncommon for people to cheat by a mm or so (which is where you're at right now). Get a 4mm hex wrench from your tool box and use it as a spacer to check gaps between your tire and frame. If you can fit the wrench and have 1.5mm excess, then you can think about sizing up within the same tire model.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-10-20, 09:44 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You have 3mm of clearance right now? 4mm is the general minimum that manufacturers want to see for debris, etc, but it's not uncommon for people to cheat by a mm or so (which is where you're at right now). Get a 4mm hex wrench from your tool box and use it as a spacer to check gaps between your tire and frame. If you can fit the wrench and have 1.5mm excess, then you can think about sizing up within the same tire model.
You always have good tricks, don't you!

I have 4mm of clearance (4mm hex fits snug) between my front tire & fork and 5mm of clearance (5mm hex slides in with very little play) between my frame & rear tire.

To be 100% sure, I would need to compare my actual tire width with the Schwalbe Pro 1 tire inflated. A 28mm will technically add 1.5mm on each side, but might ''stretch'' less than the 25mm since it's going to run at lower pressure? Not sure.

Last edited by eduskator; 05-10-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 10:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
My LBS told me 28mm wouldn't fit, but I know that some of them would. The Pro One is actually the tire I would like to purchase.
from reading the reviews on Merlin Cycles the newest version runs a little narrower.

"Fitted easily and seem much more durable than the previous Pro1. A great tyre but 28 measures as old 25 so size up if you want wide tyres" .

I purchased a few 30mm P1 TLE Addix, but haven't mounted them yet. can't beat the price. https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...0c-187206.html
Old 05-10-20, 11:58 AM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
from reading the reviews on Merlin Cycles the newest version runs a little narrower.

"Fitted easily and seem much more durable than the previous Pro1. A great tyre but 28 measures as old 25 so size up if you want wide tyres" .

I purchased a few 30mm P1 TLE Addix, but haven't mounted them yet. can't beat the price. https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...0c-187206.html
I'm about to mount these too, 30mm wide. I have Fulcrum Racing 600 DB wheels and weight about 185 lbs. I'm struggling to find a definitive reccomended pressure. Can you make suggestions beyond the 80 psi max on the sidewall?

Last edited by wirides; 05-10-20 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 12:17 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by wirides
I'm about to mount these too, 30mm wide. I have Fulcrum Racing 600 DB wheels and weight about 185 lbs. I'm struggling to find a definitive reccomended pressure. Can you make suggestions beyond the 80 psi max on the sidewall?
I absolutely would not recommend anything over 80psi. We weigh the same, and on 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tires I use 60psi rear and 55psi in front.
Old 05-10-20, 12:34 PM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I absolutely would not recommend anything over 80psi. We weigh the same, and on 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tires I use 60psi rear and 55psi in front.
That's what I was looking for. Yours are tubeless correct? To be clear I didn't mean to exceed 80, just that there isn't a range on the sidewall, only the max allowed.
Likes For wirides:
Old 05-10-20, 12:39 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by wirides
That's what I was looking for. Yours are tubeless correct? To be clear I didn't mean to exceed 80, just that there isn't a range on the sidewall, only the max allowed.
Yes, I'm tubeless on 23mm internal width hoops, so you might need a tiny bit more pressure. I'd start at 60psi, and add air if needed.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-10-20, 02:25 PM
eduskator

Merlin Cycle is so cheap... 50$ the tire instead of 100$. I guess the ''new'' one is the Addix. At this price, it's tempting to order 2 28mm and try them!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-10-20, 03:25 PM
noodle soup

Merlin Cycle is so cheap... 50$ the tire instead of 100$. I guess the ''new'' one is the Addix. At this price, it's tempting to order 2 28mm and try them!
I always buy 3 at a time. Rear tires wear out a at a 2:1 rate, and you’ll have a spare just in case one suffers a premature death.