Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-16-20, 07:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Back in the early 70s it was rumored that lettuce hearts contained opium and, thus could be dried and smoked in order to get high. And in the late 60s there was the thing where you put a stick of gum between the banana and the peel, let it sit for a few days, and then chew it. What do the medics have to say on the subject?
I have no knowledge of this but suspect it’s bunk.
Old 05-16-20, 07:56 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have no knowledge of this but suspect it’s bunk.
Back in the day people would smoke anything. My brother had a story about going through a car wash after having bought some organic oregano at a local market. The kids working at the car wash swiped the oregano, and undoubtedly tried to smoke it.
Old 05-16-20, 08:03 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
They used to make them at the blacksmith's shop, with horseshoes and wagon wheels.
Do you ride a hobby horse?
Old 05-16-20, 08:55 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
Another related fun fact: you can sharpen “disposable” razors against your arm or jeans and they are almost good as new.
I read a post about this and my memory is that it's more a factor of drying all the water off the blade than actually sharpening.
Old 05-16-20, 10:01 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
OMG, I thought they were going 'til the 25th of May!

This page and this website are no longer available.

Henry James has closed our business. A big thank you to our many loyal customers for your patronage, friendship, and bike enthusiasm all these years.

Old 05-16-20, 10:04 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts
it’s official my bike seat and my bum do not get along.
Old 05-16-20, 10:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
@datlas - am I right in assuming that that same "RHR is different for everyone" thing is why Garmin usually tells me my HR zone is one above my power zone? This morning was two hours, mostly Z2 power/ Z3 HR. Super frustrating when trying to get in base work according to the normal definitions.
Old 05-16-20, 10:13 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I wondered how she got in also. Probably jumped the fence which should be easy for a healthy dear. Yesterday there were plenty of geese up by Brickyard Pond and already have a flotilla of goslings. They do leave goose crap all over but I don;t mind too much. It just provides slalom practice to improve bike handling skills. There has been as Osprey family nesting in a tree at the pond also. I've seen some Ospreys already but that family has not arrived. I hope they are well.
A few years ago I used to walk the dog on the western edge of the pond. I saw many fish in the shallow water right next to what looks like a dirt boat ramp. My guess is that the shallow water warms up faster. There was an osprey that would sit in a tree at the edge of the pond. I watched him get a fish three or four times always between 11:00 and 12:00. Have not been there since a few years ago, when a coyote took a small dog from it's owner and ran away. I had a small dog too..
Old 05-16-20, 10:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Thought that I might get in a ride today, but it's looking less likely. I wanted to finish up the project from the ol' HoneyDo List before squeezing out, but it's threatening to rain soon. Oh well, at least there's some home-grown veggies in my future; this is where all of that cedar went -

Old 05-16-20, 10:42 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I keep an alum block on hand for the odd weepers or nicks - it's weird to me that such a wonderful thing has been largely forgotten. That said, I usually don't need it more than once or twice a month.

Another factor for my low-ish nick rate might be the fact that I have almost 100 razors on-hand and have no qualms with tossing them once they start tugging.

Low spots are fine; I think safety razors do better than carts - carts are broader, flatter, and don't maneuver in as well. The most delicate spot for me it the top of the skull, where there's no padding under the skin - gotta go easy there.
Agreed. I switched over to a safety razor exclusively several years ago. Works great for legs and underarms. If I do nick myself (usually on the knee somewhere), I know I should have changed the blade.
Likes For Jadesfire:
Old 05-16-20, 10:49 AM
Jadesfire 

Thought that I might get in a ride today, but it's looking less likely. I wanted to finish up the project from the ol' HoneyDo List before squeezing out, but it's threatening to rain soon. Oh well, at least there's some home-grown veggies in my future; this is where all of that cedar went -

I have an area in the backyard that needs a raised bed or two. What are the measurements of this one and, if you don't mind, about how much did it cost in materials?
Looks great! Enjoy.
Likes For Jadesfire:
Old 05-16-20, 10:56 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Agreed. I switched over to a safety razor exclusively several years ago. Works great for legs and underarms. If I do nick myself (usually on the knee somewhere), I know I should have changed the blade.
I've shaved my legs a handful of times, now. There was some trepidation the first time, but I was surprised at how much better it was. They're particularly forgiving if you're lazy and take a week or more off - much less prone to clog. I do need to pick up a different handle, though - I can see why the "Ladies" versions have handles that are a couple inches longer; I always want just a tad more reach than the stubby men's handles provide.
Old 05-16-20, 11:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I have an area in the backyard that needs a raised bed or two. What are the measurements of this one and, if you don't mind, about how much did it cost in materials?
Looks great! Enjoy.
The top frame/bench is 5' x 8' and overhangs the walls by an inch on each side. Walls are three 2x6s (~1.5 x 5.5 actual) so the total height is roughly 18", including the thickness of the 2x8 seating frame. Here's a snap of materials/costs - some wood pricing differs a lot by region. I used cedar because it's somewhat rot resistant and we didn't want to use pressure treated or anything for a veggie bed.

Edit: the posts should be 4" x 4" x 12 feet, not 12 inches. I cut that in to six 24" posts so that I could bury ~8" in the ground.

Last edited by WhyFi; 05-16-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 11:17 AM
Jadesfire 

The top frame/bench is 5' x 8' and overhangs the walls by an inch on each side. Walls are three 2x6s (~1.5 x 5.5 actual) so the total height is roughly 18", including the thickness of the 2x8 seating frame. Here's a snap of materials/costs - some wood pricing differs a lot by region. I used cedar because it's somewhat rot resistant and we didn't want to use pressure treated or anything for a veggie bed.

Cool. Thanks!
Old 05-16-20, 11:19 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts

Nicely done. Mrs. LAJ wanted a raised garden, and I went with blocks. It was a lot of work, especially digging down to get it level. See previous post many pages ago about the buttwipe that graveled every square inch of the yard...
Old 05-16-20, 11:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Nicely done. Mrs. LAJ wanted a raised garden, and I went with blocks. It was a lot of work, especially digging down to get it level. See previous post many pages ago about the buttwipe that graveled every square inch of the yard...
Uggh. I tweeked my back digging up old gravel the other day. I was trying to pace myself and only do a half hour per day of shoveling, hauling, dumping, raking gravel but I overdid it a little bit. I should be back on it by Tuesday. With any luck, by September or so this eyesore will be a reasonably flat expanse of beautiful Bermuda.

This gravel is about 1' deep at its highest point, and a lot of it is packed in clay, so pretty brutal work at times.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-16-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 11:52 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Uggh. I tweeked my back digging up old gravel the other day. I was trying to pace myself and only do a half hour per day of shoveling, hauling, dumping, raking gravel but I overdid it a little bit. I should be back on it by Tuesday. With any luck, by September or so this eyesore will be a reasonably flat expanse of beautiful Bermuda.

This gravel is about 1' deep at its highest point, and a lot of it is packed in clay, so pretty brutal work at times.

I feel your pain.
Old 05-16-20, 12:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
@datlas - am I right in assuming that that same "RHR is different for everyone" thing is why Garmin usually tells me my HR zone is one above my power zone? This morning was two hours, mostly Z2 power/ Z3 HR. Super frustrating when trying to get in base work according to the normal definitions.
Prolly.

Honestly if you have a PM it makes more sense to train to it primarily and look at HR secondarily anyway. Use RHR to make sure you are not sick or over-training.
Old 05-16-20, 12:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

So a reasonably large group of my club-mates did a group 100 mile ride today.

I am thinking of calling the ride the “Hypocrisy Hundred.”

Too harsh??
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-16-20, 12:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I did a semi-hypocrisy half-century. I confess that I blew through several 4-way stop signs.

#lesseroftwoevils
Old 05-16-20, 12:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Prolly.

Honestly if you have a PM it makes more sense to train to it primarily and look at HR secondarily anyway. Use RHR to make sure you are not sick or over-training.
Yeah, that's what I do, which is why Garmin (and AG's old-skool coach) tell me my base work is too hard.

What I did discover after writing that though is, while Garmin's zones are disjointed for me, TPKS has them matching up pretty well, though this ride went for more Z2 power than HR, according to it. I wish clarity were easier to accomplish, and that everyone didn't have their own zone definitions.
Old 05-16-20, 01:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Some places require you to put one foot down on the ground. Drivers can't tell how long you can track stand, it looks like you are about to go forward. You can probably find it on the interwebz.
many municipalities use the 1 foot down as a standard. Stop and 1 foot touches the ground is a COMPLETE ✋ STOP ✋.
Old 05-16-20, 01:12 PM
ls01
he said member

Issue is some patients are so entitled after paying $$$ for insurance they think they can get anything they want. He would not even tell us whether he wants a thoracic spine or lumbar spine MRI. My guess is he wants the whole thing.

Sigh.
give him the cash price, and explain why it would be on his dime
Old 05-16-20, 01:14 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
departmental zoom happy hour at 4. Getting a head start.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
ask if he wants one of his cervix.
omg lol
Old 05-16-20, 01:15 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
OMG, I thought they were going 'til the 25th of May!
Well that stinks, also explains the smoking deal I got on a carbon Columbus fork to repair the Lynskey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.