Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Presta tubes with solid valve core?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-19-20, 06:31 PM
karinbur

Bikes: Moots; Calfee Luna Pro; Co-motion Carerra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody make 70x25 tubes anymore with a non-removable valve core? I'm ready to dump my Lezyne portable stand-up pump, and a CO2 assembly I wanted to buy also cautioned use with removable valve cores, since unscrewing it might pull them out. I used to request tubes with solid valve cores at the bike shop, but now I'm told no one is making them anymore? When I look at tubes online, the valve core type is not mentioned in the specs, except for the Specialized ones.
Old 06-19-20, 07:01 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Michelin does. The Aircomp is my favorite tube.

BTW you can use 23 tubes on 25 tires with no issues. In fact its easier to mount them.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 06-19-20 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 06-19-20, 09:57 PM
karinbur

Bikes: Moots; Calfee Luna Pro; Co-motion Carerra

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll check them out. What a relief.
Old 06-19-20, 10:11 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by karinbur
Does anybody make 70x25 tubes anymore with a non-removable valve core? I'm ready to dump my Lezyne portable stand-up pump, and a CO2 assembly I wanted to buy also cautioned use with removable valve cores, since unscrewing it might pull them out. I used to request tubes with solid valve cores at the bike shop, but now I'm told no one is making them anymore? When I look at tubes online, the valve core type is not mentioned in the specs, except for the Specialized ones.
I have a screw-on mini-pump that I'm afraid to use as well due to a very aggravating experience that I'd rather not even discuss involving removable cores.

I've thought about using loc-tite on them, although next time I'm due, I'll probably just purchase tubes with non-removable core like Mulberry suggested.
Old 06-19-20, 10:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Not an answer to your question but a question from me. Are the valves unscrewing because you are using a screw-on chuck? If so, why not just get a pump with a locking chuck instead or change the chuck out in favor of a Silca chuck? Good locking chucks last a long time and unlocking them to insert and remove means the gaskets last along time. Granted, not all locking pumps are good. The Zephal bike mounted ones are as is the floor Specialized. They have worked so well for me I haven't ventured further. I did spend 15 years screwing and unscrewing a high quality Italian floor pump. Finally got tired of wasting so much time doing something that took less than a second on bike pumps. (And yes, I unscrewed a few valves with that pump.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-19-20, 10:45 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Not an answer to your question but a question from me. Are the valves unscrewing because you are using a screw-on chuck? If so, why not just get a pump with a locking chuck instead or change the chuck out in favor of a Silca chuck? Good locking chucks last a long time and unlocking them to insert and remove means the gaskets last along time. Granted, not all locking pumps are good. The Zephal bike mounted ones are as is the floor Specialized. They have worked so well for me I haven't ventured further. I did spend 15 years screwing and unscrewing a high quality Italian floor pump. Finally got tired of wasting so much time doing something that took less than a second on bike pumps. (And yes, I unscrewed a few valves with that pump.)

Ben
In my case, I'm extremely picky when it comes to features. It had been a long search for the ultimate mini for my needs before I came across this particular model. The pump in-question is the PERFECT for my me with the exception of that issue (carbon so it's very light, stores great in my jersey pocket, inflates very well for its size, has a nice hose that stores neatly inside of it, and has great aesthetics).

Silly first-world problems, I know. 😅
Old 06-20-20, 07:25 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by karinbur
Thanks! I'll check them out. What a relief.

Vredestein also has what you need in a 50 mm stem.

Old 06-20-20, 07:36 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Just a thought (hopefully not a useless one!)-I wonder if using a presta-schrader adapter would work--the adapter has a larger "tube" which might not grip the presta core as tightly?
Old 06-20-20, 08:34 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Have you tried using a stem tool to tighten up the valve assembly? I love the Lezyne threaded pump connection, but had issues with valves flying out until tightening the valves. Have also used a small open ended wrench, although not sure the size off top of my head. No issues since then.
Old 06-20-20, 09:31 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I had the same problem. No matter how tight they would come out with the Lyzene pump. I used green low strength wicking Loctite. Working so far. Will get me through this batch of tubes I bought.
Old 06-20-20, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Bike shops due to CV19 created shipping issues are short on re supply of tubes

but your typical P/V tube does not have a removable core..
Old 06-20-20, 12:28 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Vittoria also makes tubes with a non-removable core. I’ve been using them with good results for a couple years now since I had the same issue with my Lezyne pump.
Old 06-20-20, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
They also make valve core tools, I will on occasion check mine but I don't use thread on pumps often.
Old 06-21-20, 09:39 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I've never had a removable core presta valve. I checked my stock of inexpensive tubes looking for a removable core so I could put some Slime in my rear wheel Gatorskin that I'm not sure I could change roadside without soapy water. Not a one in the lot. Maybe cause when I see a deal on tubes I buy a bunch, and probably haven't bought any in a few years.
Old 06-22-20, 11:09 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
All the Continental tubes I've purchased on Amazon came with a non-removable valve core. Same for Kenda.

I always considered the removable core a premium feature, only available on more expensive tubes!
Old 07-12-20, 05:21 PM
shed

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Interesting the 25-32 Conti's I just purchased most definitely do.

I got a CO2 inflator for if I have a puncture, and I did a practice with a gas cylinder and no matter how tight I did it up, it came out when I unscrewed from the inflator.

Don't want to go through this on the side of the road, so will check out the ones mentioned. Anyone know on Speicalized.
Old 07-14-20, 04:29 PM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I've switched to 100% tubeless in recent years, so I've spent a lot of time unscrewing valve cores. It takes a tool and rather a lot of force! I've also got some pumps that screw on, and the forces involved are nowhere near enough to actually unscrew the core. Sounds like some lawyer wrote that warning label. Back in the real world, you can use removable-core tubes with no actual worries.
Old 07-15-20, 09:25 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Just a thought (hopefully not a useless one!)-I wonder if using a presta-schrader adapter would work--the adapter has a larger "tube" which might not grip the presta core as tightly?
An adapter will unscrew cores at the Continental factory installation torque.

I discovered that when I wore out the Presta side of the rubber washer in my frame pump and relied on an adapter until I found a New Old Stock example of my favorite frame pump which was too small but allowed me to scavenge the discontinued small part.
Old 07-15-20, 08:10 PM
stroudmears

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my first long ride, I prepared and bought two continental tubes because they were expensive and seemed reliable. I even practiced at home changing the tubes, just in case. Had tools, good lezyne pump and two tubes with me.
At the farthest point in the ride, my first flat ever. No problem, since I prepared. I followed all the steps I prepared for at home, easy. Just as I want to unscrew after pumping 120 times to get good pressure, the core comes loose and the entire thing deflates.
Kept spirit up, tried again, 120 strokes later, same thing. Literally did this for 6-7 times over the course of about 1.5 hours, until it finally stayed on. Very happy at that point.

Attached the wheel, continued riding, 15 minutes later, the new tube is now also flat. Another hole. The same thing happened with the other continental tube, but this time the valve core exploded and flew away somewhere. I got home because a friend came to help with tubes.
Since then, I only buy michellin aircomp or airstop tubes. Actually haven't had a flat with them in months, solid tubes.