Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

100+ temperatures

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

100+ temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 09:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...nk-cold-water/ Cold is better if you can get it.

When I was working (mechanic) they had a fridge in the work area and they stocked it with 20oz water bottles. I sometimes drank 10 of them while working.
Old 07-09-20, 04:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Yup, I load my hydration pack up with ice. I like ice cold water in route. I’m just in it for the exercise.
Old 07-09-20, 05:20 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I've always hated the heat. As I got older (60+) I tried to trick myself into thinking I've changed. That worked for a couple of years but I'm now thinking of finishing that last third of my life in Maine. You can always don more gear to be warm but being naked in excessive heat will still be hot.
Old 07-09-20, 07:49 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't care for cold drink while riding in hot temps. My bottles are uninsulated and just are whatever temp they are. I've always felt that cold water doesn't get absorbed as fast in your gut. I know it's a great way to cool down quick if you are in trouble heat wise. But I've so far been able to control how hot my body gets when working or exercising outside by other things.

Maybe it comes from learning to drink warm beer when a teenager after stacking hay bales during the summer. Never were enough ice machines nearby back then to fill a cooler with.
I switched to stainless steel thermoses after a really long hot ride on a terribly hot and humid day. the water in white and in my clear water bottles was hot enough to brew a weak tea. It was terrible. Fortunately I rode past a trout farm entrance and turned in there and was able to buy some bottles of water.

On a really hot day cold water is so very refreshing but you do need to be careful not to gulp it or you might get cramps. On long rides I keep the stainless steel thermoses on theframe and have a water bottle cage mounted on my handlebar or I use an old toe-strap to secure a 500 ml bottle to the handle bar and drink from it via a straw. I fill it about halfway and that lets me keep my water reasonably cool.

Bike with stainless steel thermoses.

Bike with a toe-strap holding bottle to the handlebar.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-10-20, 02:13 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I just got a notice on my weather app that things are going to be heating up here in Southern California. Just in time for my Sunday ride. I will be leaving early am! Extra large water bottle for this trip .
Old 07-10-20, 08:53 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
Some great ideas being posted, but damn, I needed to start this morning with a hot chocolate, another foggy, drizzly day in the mid 50's. Too bad some of the posters couldn't go 50/50 with me, then we both have sunny days in the mid to upper 70's.
Old 07-10-20, 09:37 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I've been using my Halo headcover in 85F+ heat with good results. Wet it down as needed and you have an effective sun shield for your neck, forehead, ears and jawline.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-10-20, 09:51 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
^This
Use my Halo in 95F+ and it keeps the sweat out of my eyes fine. They have a sweat seal across the forehead that channels the seat away, I use this flavor:

Last edited by GeneO; 07-10-20 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 07-12-20, 04:57 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
In my experience and conditioning, riding in temps over 100* is like riding in an unrelenting blast furnace and it's tough on the body and mind, even with good fluid intake. I have done it and even after 35 to 50 miles continuous, and sometimes pushing more miles, man... it's hot! Then again, I just posted similar in the 50+ sub forum regarding meds... intense heat with the sunshine that accompanies it... that takes a lot of me.
Old 07-12-20, 11:45 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

My BP meds and heat don’t mix very well. And I’m use to the heat.
Old 07-13-20, 02:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Yup, 106 and rising I’m guessing a new record of 108 ... definitely a night ride after the sun has been down a few hours.

Old 07-13-20, 07:35 PM
GeneO 

Old 07-14-20, 03:18 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

[QUOTE=GeneO;21585953][/QUOTE

Inside OK at 78 but 106+ not so cool I know up through Kansas and Iowa the continental climate gets very hot. So just deal with it ....
Old 07-14-20, 09:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
It thought we were finally going to see some 100°F temps here, but turns out it was just the "real feel" number that drives me nuts. However the dew point has been very high and all day, not just mornings, so it's been sweltering.

My afternoon rides have seen just 95°F temps. It's hot when slow, but as long as I can maintain 14 mph and am sweating, I seem to be cooling sufficiently. Speed up over 16 mph and I can't even tell it's hot. Slow down to 10 mph and I know it's hot.

Last Saturday I went for a 30 mile ride right about noon. Same temps but dew point was higher still. Sweltering! Still pretty much just the issue of losing cooling when slow. I did note that since it was about noon and the sun pretty much directly over head that there wasn't as much shade as there is later or earlier in the day. Also, I could feel the sun bearing down on my black cycling shorts but not near as much on my light colored jersey.

Might be nice to find some shorts or bibs with white or light colored outer panels, but dark inner panels for embarrassment protection of sweat stains, seat stains and other stains that look like urine stains! <grin>

Another thing I did was rest about an hour then go walking 4 miles with my wife. We both were miserable in the heat and I could tell I was much hotter than when riding that day. And most of the walk was shade. When getting home, I checked my body temperature and it was 99.6°F. I thought to check my temperature immediately after a 22 mile ride mid-afternoon yesterday and it was only 98.6°F - normal.

I think I'll try to check my body temp more often after rides, walks and other activities. I'm wondering how well it will correlate with my position that being able to maintain airflow around ones body is a big factor for cooling, Even when that airflow is created by hard effort to maintain speed.
Old 07-14-20, 06:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

103 at 7pm..... night ride starting around 9pm ...
Old 07-15-20, 01:39 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
I too am struggling with the heat and humidity on my rides. Not a morning person, hard to get riding before about 9:00. Today I rode 15 miles at a 16 mph pace, hydrated with water (probably not enough), and after the ride I was whipped. I know I need to set the alarm and start my rides earlier, but I'm prepping for a September 50 mile ride, so the training and the ride itself will take me 3 hours and it'll be low-90s by the time I'm wrapping up. I have to adapt to the heat, and so far it hasn't happened.

One thing I do is use water as my primary hydration, but the night before a ride I freeze a Polar water bottle full of Gatorade. As I ride, the frozen Gatorade begins to melt, so I have ultra-cold Gatorade to drink for the duration of my ride. That helps. I still need to get a handle on why the fatigue and loss of performance is occurring in the last parts of my ride.
Likes For davethelefty:
Old 07-15-20, 01:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Night riding lately to get out of the heat but then I don’t crash until 3am.
Old 07-15-20, 03:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Night riding lately to get out of the heat but then I don’t crash until 3am.
I ride a lot at night too but I try not to crash at any time. LOL VBEG ;<)

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-19-20, 07:11 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
We had a heat index of 105 the other day. You have to be prepared, well rested and well hydrated. I stay close to my house (have some good circuits in my neighborhood) and keep it short.

I went out easy and after a warm up went fairly hard for a bit but I ended it at the 28 minute mark. My body told me "you are going to run into trouble" and I immediately went home.

Doing a long hard ride in this heat at our age is asking for it. I have been training hard consistently with impeccable labwork so I have the green light. If you have any kind of condition or if you are not in top shape do not go out in the high heat.
Likes For RadDog:
Old 07-19-20, 07:19 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by RadDog
We had a heat index of 105 the other day. You have to be prepared, well rested and well hydrated. I stay close to my house (have some good circuits in my neighborhood) and keep it short.

I went out easy and after a warm up went fairly hard for a bit but I ended it at the 28 minute mark. My body told me "you are going to run into trouble" and I immediately went home.

Doing a long hard ride in this heat at our age is asking for it. I have been training hard consistently with impeccable labwork so I have the green light. If you have any kind of condition or if you are not in top shape do not go out in the high heat.
I had that happen once and needed a pick-up - I pushed it too far and couldn't go further.

It helps a LOT if you can stay in the shade out of the direct sunlight.
Old 07-19-20, 07:34 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I had that happen once and needed a pick-up - I pushed it too far and couldn't go further.

It helps a LOT if you can stay in the shade out of the direct sunlight.
Here is a trick I use. I go over to where all the rich people in my neighborhood live, LOL, and the streets there are heavily shaded with little traffic. I will dip into the streets for a little "recovery time" getting ready for the last push home. I do get funny looks from all the McMansion owners who are wondering why I keep riding up and down their street.
Old 07-20-20, 02:26 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Here in Dubai, it was 110 degrees F with about 80 percent humidity yesterday afternoon when I biked home from work. Plus, we have to wear a face mask (or risk a $225 fine). Thankfully, it was only a 30-minute ride because I was completely soaked (as was the face mask) when I got home..
Old 07-20-20, 06:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by downtube42
My fastest 200k ever was a 11pm departure out of San Angelo, TX. July 14, 2017. 07:30 elapsed time, solo. I'll tell you what, I did that ride several times at night, and it's darned spooky out there in the middle of frickin' nowhere, with not a single car from midnight to 5am.

IIRC, it was still over 100F when I departed. But it's a dry heat, they say ROFLMAO. Dry heat sucks the water out of your body faster than you can drink. At least at 11pm-6am the sun isn't killing you.

It's a left out of the parking lot, then a right onto the highway, straight down to Sonora with nothing in-between except a closed down Eldorado, fuel and water at the Sonora convenience store, back north on the highway, left, right. Six turns, 201km. Nothing to keep you company but the wind, which guaranteed will be blowing one way or the other.

Cheers, from cool and green Oregon

Old 07-20-20, 06:56 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
103 at 7pm.....
​​​​​
Old 07-20-20, 07:20 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
We're having mid 90 temps (90 per cent humidity) and "feels like" 105. She says we should begin riding by 6am, do our 36 mile "short ride", come home and take a nap. Sounds barbaric but it's better than not riding.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.