Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Old 07-19-20, 12:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Anyhoo , I have 3 bikes with German made head and tail lights and dynamo hubs. Busch & Muller designed the reflectors to have a cut off beam pattern.
by having the LED in the top facing downward towards the reflector, not at the bottom of a parabolic reflector like a Flashlight & so many other bike headlights..

I have a battery one too..

Flashing strobe lights are Verboten in Deutschland on bicycles, so they don't. they, the dynamo ones have a light sensor..
In mt B&M Eyc senso T the day running diode is a flat little square, 2 of them . the sensor turns the bright diode on as it gets darker out..

Fortunately I don't have to commute in a big city some do to make & spend the big bucks that are to be found there..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-26-20, 06:22 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf
Would love to hear tips and links to research. I've seen a few studies on daytime running lights reducing accidents in motorcycles, cars, and bicycles. It is interesting how they do the studies -- because the argument is always that having lights on may make someone drive more safely.

It's taken time but I have convinced a few cyclists to spend more money on ultra-bright front lights (daytime, 1000+ lumen flashing) and rear lights (300 lumen) and have them on at all hours of the day.

One argument that works is showing before and after photos of a cyclist in shadows (whether a building or tree shadow). There is a clear difference in visibility, and it's obvious you can't plan in advance at high speeds if you hit shadows and don't know what's behind you. It is too much cognitive load, so worth spending the extra money up front to feel safer should you happen to bike into shadows.

It can feel wimpy to have lights on all the time, so what have you found works for convincing people you love to get that added bump in safety? This can elicit strong emotions so that's why I'm trying to figure out softer ways to have this conversation and hopefully we might save some lives!
How do you convince people to mind their own business.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 07-26-20, 08:20 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
You don't need 1,000 plus lumen strobing light for the front during the day, that's absurd! All I have is a 400 lumen and on strobe I can very easily and quickly see it from a block away. In addition to that, you have more control as to what is happening coming at you from the front and can take precautionary measures if needed.

I do however agree in the rear you need 300 lumens to show up real well, and those cobb type of LED lights do not show up in broad daylight, direct sunlight for some reason washes the cobb lights right out.

During the day I use the Lezyne Hecto Drive 400XL on the front on the bar on strobe; and a NiteRider Omega 300 tail light connected to the saddle bag on flash mode.

Extra credit: At night I put the Lezyne on my helmet with the strobe mode, and add a Phillips Saferide 80 on the bar on steady (well, it only has steady); I then add a NR Sentry Aero 260 on the rear of the helmet on alternating flash (alt flash is the side lights alternate with the rear facing light), and put the NR 300 on steady.
Old 07-27-20, 10:52 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
I have a different question

Originally Posted by rebel1916
How do you convince people to mind their own business.
How do you convince people not to be rude on line? The message to which you are referring was about convincing loved ones. If you're not one, then it wasn't about you. I don't think the person who wrote the message was suggesting that they were going to ride through town like Paul Revere shouting "You have to ride with lights!"
Old 07-27-20, 10:55 AM
Elbeinlaw

"1000 lumen … light"

I'm 100% all in on riding during the day with lights. BUT. If you are using a 1000 lumen light, it doesn't need to be in my eyes as I'm riding toward you. Turn it down toward the ground about 10 yards in front of you bike. That means it won't blind me, but will get you seen. Win/win. (I noticed a few weeks ago on the SCT that many of the riders--all in professional riding gear--had extremely bright lights aimed right at my eyes. F-ing rude, gentlemen. [And they were all, every one, men.])
Old 07-27-20, 11:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Daytime visibility - I know this is slightly off topic since it has nothing to do with lighting but: my experience both as a cyclist and driver is that jerseys in bright solid colors are seen. Dark is often not and patterns, even really bright ones, often disappear. I wear solid yellow and orange (and white but my experience is that white is nowhere near as good a lot of the time) jerseys most of the time simply to improve the odds that I get noticed. They are the only thing I have done in 50 years of cycling that has drivers coming up beside me in daytime, rolling down their window and thanking me.

Ben
Old 07-28-20, 09:50 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
How do you convince people not to be rude on line? The message to which you are referring was about convincing loved ones. If you're not one, then it wasn't about you. I don't think the person who wrote the message was suggesting that they were going to ride through town like Paul Revere shouting "You have to ride with lights!"
His loved ones don't want to hear it. Believe me.
Old 07-28-20, 10:27 AM
Elbeinlaw

I rode this morning through residential streets and avenues on routes that appear on maps in Atlanta as "Bike Routes," though there are not bike lanes. Virtually every one of the commuters (this is 7:30 to 8:30 AM) was using lights. I was very impressed.
Old 07-28-20, 12:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf
Would love to hear tips and links to research. I've seen a few studies on daytime running lights reducing accidents in motorcycles, cars, and bicycles. It is interesting how they do the studies -- because the argument is always that having lights on may make someone drive more safely.
If they "always" have this argument, it should be easy for you to find one example to show.

I don't think many people say that's why daytime running lights are safer.
Old 07-28-20, 12:17 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by PaulH
Agreed. The German government bans flashing bike headlights.
The Germans also ban flashing rear lights too.
Old 07-28-20, 12:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Pratt
Running lights, no matter how bright, or not bright, depend on the motorists seeing them, and they are sometimes distracted.
This is obvious and irrelevant. If they don't see the lights being on, they aren't seeing the lights off (so, for this case, it's the same either way).

The issue is whether the light increase the rate/likelihood of visibility over not having a light.

Since being distracted tends to be temporary, the farther away something is visible means there's more time to longer than the time being distracted.
Old 07-28-20, 12:26 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Why is it necessary to convince anyone one way or the other?
Why is it "necessary" to even talk about anything?

The process of trying to convince people ideally makes people better understand about the thing. Isn't that useful?

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I ask this in all seriousness to understand. What is the difference between a "strobe" and " blinking? "
Strobe -> a flashing light you hate.
Blinking -> a flashing light you think doesn't do anything.

It seems that people are using "strobe" for really-bright flashing lights and "blinking" for kinda weak flashing lights.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-20 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-28-20, 12:43 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by genec
... but these are not xenon tubes....
Are these used on any bicycle light?

I suspect people are talking about high-powered LED lights when talking about "strobes". Some people might be referring to lower-powered LED lights when talking about "strobes".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 01:00 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Are these used on any bicycle light?

I suspect people are talking about high-powered LED lights when talking about "strobes". Some people might be referring to lower-powered LED lights when talking about "strobes".
I just have not encountered LEDs that bright in daylight... They may exist. I am not saying they don't. And it may be an issue of where, as in shady locations or in the canyons of NYC. Pretty powerful for a bike... Heck, I haven't even seen "strobes" on emergency vehicles that I would consider "blinding" in daylight. But again, they may exist.
Old 07-28-20, 01:17 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by genec
I just have not encountered LEDs that bright in daylight... They may exist. I am not saying they don't. And it may be an issue of where, as in shady locations or in the canyons of NYC. Pretty powerful for a bike... Heck, I haven't even seen "strobes" on emergency vehicles that I would consider "blinding" in daylight. But again, they may exist.
No one here is talking about xenon strobe lights.

But it's not clear exactly what they are talking about. Some of them appear to not be quite clear on the difference between daytime and nighttime.

The ambient light matters. So does distance.

I sometimes find the flashing front lights irritating (at night). If you are close, there are lots of LED lights that are blinding.
Old 07-30-20, 11:20 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Not sure what you meant by strobes, but lights sold in America with a flash pattern, what some will call strobe, is not illegal, if they were illegal the light manufactures would not be able to put that function on the light; like in the UK, flashing lights of any kind, front or rear, is illegal, so lights sold there do have a flash function.

The California code says this: California Vehicle Code Division 11 Chapter 1 Article 4 Section 21201 (d) covers the requirements for cyclists when riding in darkness. It states:
A bicycle operated during darkness upon a highway, a sidewalk where bicycle operation is not prohibited by the local jurisdiction, or a bikeway, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, shall be equipped with all of the following:

(1) A lamp emitting a white light that, while the bicycle is in motion, illuminates the highway, sidewalk, or bikeway in front of the bicyclist and is visible from a distance of 300 feet in front and from the sides of the bicycle.

(2) A red reflector on the rear that shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle.

(3) A white or yellow reflector on each pedal, shoe, or ankle visible from the front and rear of the bicycle from a distance of 200 feet.

(4) A white or yellow reflector on each side forward of the center of the bicycle, and a white or red reflector on each side to the rear of the center of the bicycle, except that bicycles that are equipped with reflectorized tires on the front and the rear need not be equipped with these side reflectors.
No mention of flashing lights.
California Vehicle Code ARTICLE 7. Flashing and Colored Lights [25250 - 25282]

25250. Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as otherwise permitted.
25268. No person shall display a flashing amber warning light on a
vehicle as permitted by this code except when an unusual traffic hazard exists.

If you consider a bicycle an unusual traffic hazard, then feel free to add as many amber flashing lights as you desire. White flashing lights don't seem legal in CA from what I can tell, but they are tolerated by the police. The eyes are much more sensitive to amber than red and they are far more visible. I always use a flashing amber taillight in addition to a red taillight. Nobody sells them, so they must be illegal in many places. Red flashing lights are very restricted. The code you quote allows them on the back of bicycles, otherwise, only police and fire trucks have red flashing lights. A red/amber combo is very eye catching.
Old 07-31-20, 01:00 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 341 Posts
Automobile halogen lamps produce around 1,400 lumens. HID lamps produce around 3,000 lumens. So it's not the outright power of a bicycle headlight that's the problem, it is the beam pattern and setup. Most bicycle lights are simple spotlights with a simple round beam pattern. There are some makes that shape the beam and others that have a hard cutoff but they are in the small minority. My Cygolite Metro Pro has an oval pattern that I try to make sure that I point downward.

I'd argue that a 1,000 lumen bicycle light with a shaped beam that is aimed properly is no less blinding than an automobile.

Regarding blinking, blinking or modulating headlights on motorcycles came into fashion about 10-15 years ago. Anecdotally, they are much more visible. I lead motorcycle tours from time to time and have to keep track of a dozen or more motorcyles in my rear view mirror while I'm riding through traffic. The motorcycles with "modulating" lights are much easier to spot in my mirrors. If everyone had modulating headlights, then it might be chaos, but I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 5% of motorcycles have modulating headlights, so they benefit from being different.

NHTSA did a study about this. Here's part of their abstract:

"...having either LA (low mounted auxiliary) or MHB (Modulated High Beam) lamps on the motorcycle significantly reduced the probability of obtaining a short safety margin (< 3.44 seconds) as compared to the baseline lighting treatment....Eye tracking data indicated that the average duration of participants’ gazes at the motorcycle were significantly longer with the LHA lighting as compared to the baseline condition. These results should be interpreted cautiously in light of differences that were observed between participants who reported using a landmark‐based strategy to judge when it was no longer safe to turn in front of approaching vehicles and participants who used other strategies. Overall the results suggest that enhancing the frontal conspicuity of motorcycles with lighting treatments beyond an illuminated low beam headlamp may be an effective countermeasure for daytime crashes involving right‐of‐way violations."

SOURCE: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811507.pdf

Personally, I do run blinking headlights in the daytime on roads. I try to make sure that it's pointed downward though. Is it legal in my state? I'm not sure. But I ride through some busy places with lots of parallel parking and I need all the help I can get and am willing to risk a ticket in order to be safe.

Based on the NHTSA study, I may look for fork mounted auxiliary lights to add to my kit.

Lastly, if blinking has no effect on conspicuity, why do automobile turn signals blink?
Likes For john m flores:
Old 07-31-20, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by john m flores
Regarding blinking, blinking or modulating headlights on motorcycles came into fashion about 10-15 years ago. Anecdotally, they are much more visible. I lead motorcycle tours from time to time and have to keep track of a dozen or more motorcyles in my rear view mirror while I'm riding through traffic. The motorcycles with "modulating" lights are much easier to spot in my mirrors.
I wonder if a single static light might be unconsciously ignored as being something like a reflection. If it changes, it looks very different than a reflection. The double lights of a car are pretty unique (it's not likely they will be confused with a reflection).

If everyone had modulating headlights, then it might be chaos, but I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 5% of motorcycles have modulating headlights, so they benefit from being different.
I suspect one reason flashing rear lights are illegal in Germany is because of the chaos/confusion that would result if there were lots of cyclists with flashing lights.

In the US, cyclists (outside of cities) are rare.

Personally, I do run blinking headlights in the daytime on roads. I try to make sure that it's pointed downward though. Is it legal in my state? I'm not sure. But I ride through some busy places with lots of parallel parking and I need all the help I can get and am willing to risk a ticket in order to be safe.
It doesn't seem flashing front or rear lights bother cops. I think the legality is moot.

Based on the NHTSA study, I may look for fork mounted auxiliary lights to add to my kit.
The NHTSA study seem to show that modulating headlights added the same benefit as low-mounted auxiliary lights. I wonder if having two lights works by making the thing more "odd" looking.

Lastly, if blinking has no effect on conspicuity, why do automobile turn signals blink?
More support for flashing being more conspicuous.
Old 07-31-20, 03:43 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It doesn't seem flashing front or rear lights bother cops. I think the legality is moot.
Just don't use blue lights. Cops are very protective of their exclusive use of blue lights and that will get you pulled over. No purple either, it looks blue to many colorblind people. I would only use red on the back. Drivers expect red lights to be on the back, you don't want them to think your riding away from them, when you are going towards them.
Likes For frizzen:
Old 08-06-20, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Automobile halogen lamps produce around 1,400 lumens. HID lamps produce around 3,000 lumens. So it's not the outright power of a bicycle headlight that's the problem, it is the beam pattern and setup. Most bicycle lights are simple spotlights with a simple round beam pattern. There are some makes that shape the beam and others that have a hard cutoff but they are in the small minority. My Cygolite Metro Pro has an oval pattern that I try to make sure that I point downward.

I'd argue that a 1,000 lumen bicycle light with a shaped beam that is aimed properly is no less blinding than an automobile.

Regarding blinking, blinking or modulating headlights on motorcycles came into fashion about 10-15 years ago. Anecdotally, they are much more visible. I lead motorcycle tours from time to time and have to keep track of a dozen or more motorcyles in my rear view mirror while I'm riding through traffic. The motorcycles with "modulating" lights are much easier to spot in my mirrors. If everyone had modulating headlights, then it might be chaos, but I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 5% of motorcycles have modulating headlights, so they benefit from being different.

NHTSA did a study about this. Here's part of their abstract:

"...having either LA (low mounted auxiliary) or MHB (Modulated High Beam) lamps on the motorcycle significantly reduced the probability of obtaining a short safety margin (< 3.44 seconds) as compared to the baseline lighting treatment....Eye tracking data indicated that the average duration of participants’ gazes at the motorcycle were significantly longer with the LHA lighting as compared to the baseline condition. These results should be interpreted cautiously in light of differences that were observed between participants who reported using a landmark‐based strategy to judge when it was no longer safe to turn in front of approaching vehicles and participants who used other strategies. Overall the results suggest that enhancing the frontal conspicuity of motorcycles with lighting treatments beyond an illuminated low beam headlamp may be an effective countermeasure for daytime crashes involving right‐of‐way violations."

SOURCE: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811507.pdf

1400 lumens on a car is the high beam. You are never supposed to have your high beams on where you are likely to encounter other vehicles because it is blinding regardless of how it's aimed. Low beam is more like 700.

The turn signal question is stupid. It's to distinguish them from running lights in the same position. I'll turn the question around on you--why don't brake lights blink?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-07-20, 09:22 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 714 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
1400 lumens on a car is the high beam. You are never supposed to have your high beams on where you are likely to encounter other vehicles because it is blinding regardless of how it's aimed. Low beam is more like 700.
High beams are not only brighter but they're aimed farther down the road. And even if low beam is only 700 lumens, there are two of them, so they're brighter than a typical single bicycle headlight. The shape of the beam still makes a big difference.

The turn signal question is stupid. It's to distinguish them from running lights in the same position. I'll turn the question around on you--why don't brake lights blink?
Center high mounted stop lights do blink on when you apply the brakes and it's the change in state from on to off that catches other road users' eye.
Old 08-10-20, 09:12 PM
RonDigsBikes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing beats having a blinking light on the helmet pushing 700+ lumens. When the cyclist is approaching an intersection, looking left and right will immediately light up any reflective surface. I have caught many cars doing this...and it stops 'em right in their tracks.
Old 08-11-20, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by RonDigsBikes
Nothing beats having a blinking light on the helmet pushing 700+ lumens. When the cyclist is approaching an intersection, looking left and right will immediately light up any reflective surface. I have caught many cars doing this...and it stops 'em right in their tracks.
Mounting a flashing 700 lumen light right where it's best positioned to hit a driver's eyes directly, what could go wrong?

Again, someone so obsessed with eliminating the probability of an unlikely hit that they don't notice the obvious immediate hazard they're creating.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-11-20, 10:36 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Real Life Recent Incident Illustrates DRL Value

Several days ago I was riding in bright sunlight about 3:00 pm along a city street with a dedicated bike lane. I had on a burnt-orange jersey, bright green helmet and I had both bike-mounted lights on in flashing mode. I approached an intersection in the bike lane at about 18 mph and the traffic light turned green when I was about 200 feet away. I had no motor vehicles ahead or behind me. The intersection had very good sight lines, easily 500 feet in all directions and I'd say a quarter-mile off to my right.

I saw a car approaching the light from my right on the cross street and it did not slow at all. I began braking and slowed; the car passed through the intersection at undiminished speed. The traffic light remained green in my direction and I proceeded to cross the intersection.

Thoughts:

1. I don't know why the driver failed to stop. Unless I see an obvious cause (Corona bottle, cell phone..) I'm inclined to be forgiving about such things. I know I have inadvertently driven through red lights in a car. I was lucky I didn't crash but it shook me up.

2. In all likelihood, had I not braked either a) I would not be writing this reply or b) the car would have crashed either into a curb or a light pole.

3. Clearly, none of the visual practices I have (bright clothing, lane positioning, blinking DRL) were effective in this case. Though I often move into the motor vehicle traffic lane at intersections to improve my conspicuity, I did not do so in this case, probably because I didn't have any parallel-ish threats. Based on the angle of approach of the car and the clear sight lines, it would have made no difference. Blinking or solid DRL? Didn't matter.

This incident illustrates where my head is at. Absolute safety in any vehicle type will never happen. That doesn't mean I can't do things to improve my odds.

The "Swiss cheese model of accident causation" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model) is what I've been trained with, and I think it applies to any vehicle. However, as a "vulnerable road user" I don't have access to the tons of cheese motorists have. (Note that the 30k+ annual road fatalities in the USA suggests motorists don't have enough cheese either.. but on a bright clear Sunday afternoon a ton of car at 30 mph has more cheese than I do.)

So I'll continue using tools to increase my conspicuity, mirrors to increase my situational awareness, road strategy to leave myself an out, practicing bike handling skills for crash avoidance and helmet/gloves. I'm continuously looking for more cheese slices to put on my sandwich.

So, yeah, I'll continue using DRL and, when there's a teachable moment, I'll encourage others to do so as well.

Context/Notes: Until COVID-19, most of my riding was for commuting and utility on suburban arterials both during the day and at night. Lately, I've been doing more recreational riding and have been using more MUP during daylight. Generally, I use front and back lights during the day except when I'm on MUP, where I turn them off. I run a variety of different lights mounted on the bicycle depending on what I have at hand. I have not finished researching all the source materials identified in the other daylight flashing thread, so I may change my mind, but for now I'm running flashing mode during the day. For bike mount, I only have a Cateye Volt 500 (500 lumen) forward and a Fabric Lumasense V2 red 30/100 lumen to the rear available to me at this time. (I recently found myself without a rear light and I splurged at the LBS for the Fabric. The Lumasense has an accelerometer and it goes solid red 100 lumen when it senses decelleration. Of course I can't see it, but my family members tell me it works. It is pretty pricey, though.) I also have a very small white Blackburn 2'fer mounted on the front of my helmet and a bright red Serfas on the back of my helmet, both of which I can easily turn on or off while riding. I only use them during the day when I feel I'm entering a threatening situation and I want to introduce a change in the visual field.
Old 08-11-20, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by flangehead
Several days ago I was riding in bright sunlight about 3:00 pm along a city street with a dedicated bike lane. I had on a burnt-orange jersey, bright green helmet and I had both bike-mounted lights on in flashing mode. I approached an intersection in the bike lane at about 18 mph and the traffic light turned green when I was about 200 feet away. I had no motor vehicles ahead or behind me. The intersection had very good sight lines, easily 500 feet in all directions and I'd say a quarter-mile off to my right.

I saw a car approaching the light from my right on the cross street and it did not slow at all. I began braking and slowed; the car passed through the intersection at undiminished speed. The traffic light remained green in my direction and I proceeded to cross the intersection.

Thoughts:

1. I don't know why the driver failed to stop. Unless I see an obvious cause (Corona bottle, cell phone..) I'm inclined to be forgiving about such things. I know I have inadvertently driven through red lights in a car. I was lucky I didn't crash but it shook me up.

2. In all likelihood, had I not braked either a) I would not be writing this reply or b) the car would have crashed either into a curb or a light pole.

3. Clearly, none of the visual practices I have (bright clothing, lane positioning, blinking DRL) were effective in this case. Though I often move into the motor vehicle traffic lane at intersections to improve my conspicuity, I did not do so in this case, probably because I didn't have any parallel-ish threats. Based on the angle of approach of the car and the clear sight lines, it would have made no difference. Blinking or solid DRL? Didn't matter.

This incident illustrates where my head is at. Absolute safety in any vehicle type will never happen. That doesn't mean I can't do things to improve my odds.

The "Swiss cheese model of accident causation" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model) is what I've been trained with, and I think it applies to any vehicle. However, as a "vulnerable road user" I don't have access to the tons of cheese motorists have. (Note that the 30k+ annual road fatalities in the USA suggests motorists don't have enough cheese either.. but on a bright clear Sunday afternoon a ton of car at 30 mph has more cheese than I do.)

So I'll continue using tools to increase my conspicuity, mirrors to increase my situational awareness, road strategy to leave myself an out, practicing bike handling skills for crash avoidance and helmet/gloves. I'm continuously looking for more cheese slices to put on my sandwich.

So, yeah, I'll continue using DRL and, when there's a teachable moment, I'll encourage others to do so as well.

Context/Notes: Until COVID-19, most of my riding was for commuting and utility on suburban arterials both during the day and at night. Lately, I've been doing more recreational riding and have been using more MUP during daylight. Generally, I use front and back lights during the day except when I'm on MUP, where I turn them off. I run a variety of different lights mounted on the bicycle depending on what I have at hand. I have not finished researching all the source materials identified in the other daylight flashing thread, so I may change my mind, but for now I'm running flashing mode during the day. For bike mount, I only have a Cateye Volt 500 (500 lumen) forward and a Fabric Lumasense V2 red 30/100 lumen to the rear available to me at this time. (I recently found myself without a rear light and I splurged at the LBS for the Fabric. The Lumasense has an accelerometer and it goes solid red 100 lumen when it senses decelleration. Of course I can't see it, but my family members tell me it works. It is pretty pricey, though.) I also have a very small white Blackburn 2'fer mounted on the front of my helmet and a bright red Serfas on the back of my helmet, both of which I can easily turn on or off while riding. I only use them during the day when I feel I'm entering a threatening situation and I want to introduce a change in the visual field.
I really don't get this post, this incident doesn't illustrate the value of anything other than good brakes and braking skills. It certainly does NOT illustrate the value of a blinking DRL, and there's a lot of double-talk in that post to try to get around that. I think what you've actually done is construct an argument whose logic could be used to support the carrying of virtually any portable item while you ride. I could plug in "dayglow lucky rabbit's foot" everywhere you have "blinking DRL" in that post, and it would make just about as much sense.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.