Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

League of American Bicyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-21-20, 03:37 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts

Anyone know much about this organization? I got on their email list through some Strava challenge a while back, but I don't read their newsletters closely. Very few mentions of them on BF, so just wondering if they do significant work on behalf of cyclists or are a bit player?
Old 09-21-20, 03:47 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Yes, it has been an advocacy for bicycling for a very long time - founded in 1880. They changed the name from League of American Wheelman a while ago. I was a member at one time before the name change but not currently. History:https://bikeleague.org/content/detailed-history
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 09-21-20, 05:14 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
I have no use for them; I also got on their email listing somehow. I do support my local bike advocacy organizations and I also pay extra for Share the Road plates I hope that's money well spent....
Old 09-21-20, 06:04 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
They are an outstanding organization. They offer the Bicycle Friendly America program that includes Bicycle Friendly Community, Bicycle Friendly Business and Bicycle Friendly University. They set the standards for cities, businesses, and universities all over the country. These programs provide the guidance and direction we need to develop our cities and institutions.

They were also wise when developing these programs to tie them into Safe Routes To School effort. And they have a bicycle riding safety program available. And there is more.

If you ever biked in a Bicycle Friendly Community or you want your employer to become a Bicycle Friendly Business, or have an organization that will support various areas of advocacy, you want to support them. If you talk to your local Statewide advocacy organization, they will lean on LAB for guidance and advice. In a nutshell, they do a great deal for us as cyclists.
Old 09-22-20, 01:26 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Thanks for the insights. I think I also read somewhere that they've made a big push around e-bikes recently. Does anyone know about that? I didn't see anything obvious in skimming one of their newsletters.

Just trying to figure out if they have a primary agenda focus that aligns with what I'd want to support. When an organization has too much breadth in what they claim to advocate, it makes it trickier to understand what I'd be doing if I were to donate or become a member.
Old 09-29-20, 04:44 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
they do NOT support vehicular cycling
Old 10-01-20, 10:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Any group that supports cycling is a good thing.

I believe they were the first group that supported good roads.
Old 10-01-20, 12:03 PM
CycleCommuter

Bikes: 3Rensho Tandem, Waterford 1200, Gunnar Roadie, Aegis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Any group that supports cycling is a good thing.

I believe they were the first group that supported good roads.
Yes they are the oldest cycling organization in the United States if I am not mistaken. Helped organize and advocate for smoother and better maintained roads.

From their website: The League was founded as the League of American Wheelmen in 1880. Bicyclists, known then as “wheelmen,” were challenged by rutted roads of gravel and dirt and faced antagonism from horsemen, wagon drivers, and pedestrians. The League draws on a unique history and depth of knowledge and also has a commitment to propel the new, diverse and growing ranks of bicyclists in the United States, recognizing and representing the current and future face of the cycling movement.In an effort to improve riding conditions so they might better enjoy their newly discovered sport, more than 100,000 cyclists from across the United States joined the League to advocate for paved roads.

I have been a member in the past, they were very active in safe streets and safe routes to schools - I remember the most activities around this 10-15 years ago.

They organize an annual national bicyclist conference for over 20 years and lobby for federal funding for bicycle paths and bicycle safe cities.

Overall a good organization although I put my monthly donations to our local bicycle/pedestrian organization Transportation Alternatives.
Old 10-01-20, 12:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Not many people, cyclists or not, support vehicular cycling (formerly known as Effective Cycling) as it was promoted with the controversial associated theories espoused by the former LAB director and president John Forester and his ardent disciples some of whom were LAB board members.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-01-20 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 11:02 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Hard to make a left turn without practicing vehicular cycling.
Old 10-02-20, 01:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jon c.
Yeah sure, if "practicing vehicle cycling" means sometimes riding in the street. Hardly would need a separate sticky place on BF for vehicular cycling discussion if that was the case.
Old 10-02-20, 11:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
"Wonder Twin powers activate!"

​​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-03-20, 08:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Indeed it was the League of American Wheelman that crusaded for better roads. What I find funny is some of the egotistical car drivers that tell bicycles to get off their roads. It is funny because the reverse is actually true.
Old 10-03-20, 10:50 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
LOL. Hilarious. I do it 99.9% of the time.
IF the road is 80% empty and has only 1 or 2 cars waiting there, I might go over to a turn lane.
Blocking cars while stopped in the middle of a road has a ZERO chance with me and most others.
Old 10-04-20, 11:14 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
One of the reasons why I never decided to join them, as well as my local bicycle advocacy group. My opinion, is that many bicycling advocacy groups are more focused in trying to implement on road bicycle infrastructure in order to increase their bicycle friendly status, with much less thought about what truly makes it safer for road cyclists, even though it looks good to them on paper.
Old 10-04-20, 12:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Indeed it was the League of American Wheelman that crusaded for better roads. What I find funny is some of the egotistical car drivers that tell bicycles to get off their roads. It is funny because the reverse is actually true.
It is true that the League of American Wheelman and other cycling organizations in the late 1800's campaigned for better roads. However not many, if any, old roads were improved, or new roads built in the U.S. as a result of this bicyclist oriented "crusade" until the early 1900's with the advent of more affordable automobiles and trucks when the Good Roads Movement was joined and co-opted by automobile and farmer associated organizations.
Old 10-07-20, 05:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
I got put on their mailing list a while ago. They rank a bunch of "bike friendly" communities.

https://www.bikeleague.org/community

My city sent my name as a potential respondent. I filled out their survey, but there were a few things that I wasn't kind on.

One of the issues I brought up was eventually fixed (vanishing bike lanes along Centennial St, including near the High School) by remarking the bike lane.

However, other issues were ignored (two off-street bike paths that have a T-intersection, but don't actually connect), and the city only got a moderate rating.

Since then, I've been getting their e-mail once a month or so, but rarely read them.
Old 10-07-20, 05:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Now that I see the website, I recall filling out a local survey for them. The rate my city relatively well overall, but in the categorical areas we are woefully deficient in some very significant areas. And their stats paint a picture of a city with not many riders and a lot of serious accidents.
Old 12-04-20, 12:33 PM
Matthew913

Bikes: Lectric XP (Black)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Are there other similar national organizations which serve the same function or is this pretty much the go-to one?
Old 12-05-20, 12:54 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Based on the cycling infrastructure (or lack thereof) where I live, this national organization is not very effective at all. I would get involved at a local level and not waste your time and money with these big groups that probably have a large administrative overhead. Show up at your city council and voice you concerns and suggestions for improvements; speak to your local leaders; organize with local cyclists; report scofflaw bike lane blockages from parked cars and garbage bins to the local cops. A strong local base is what gets things done (see Portland, OR, for example).
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 12-06-20, 11:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

I enjoy the ride reports of cross country cyclist on the site "crazy guy on a bike". Many of those cyclist use the leagues maps.

I joined a while back after getting their magazine for free for a few months. Their magazine is quite interesting. It is not just a picture book like so many magazines these days.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-07-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 05:35 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,132 Posts
I'm a member, and was recommended by my local government office because of my involvement with our bicycle co-op. We are a University community and have ample cycling lanes on most of our through fare streets. We also have bike friendly routes throughout the community and in my block the route was changed by one street to accommodate the ADA recommendations for rise per 100 feet being greater than 4%. All good stuff for cyclists. Lanes are being added for routes to neighboring communities as well, and all with the help of the League to make cycling safer. We have developed a rails to trails route that is bike friendly and extends for about fifteen miles with nothing but bike and pedestrian travel. I think they do a lot of good work for cycling. JMHO, smiles, MH
Old 12-06-20, 07:22 PM
debade

Originally Posted by Helldorado
Based on the cycling infrastructure (or lack thereof) where I live, this national organization is not very effective at all. I would get involved at a local level and not waste your time and money with these big groups that probably have a large administrative overhead. Show up at your city council and voice you concerns and suggestions for improvements; speak to your local leaders; organize with local cyclists; report scofflaw bike lane blockages from parked cars and garbage bins to the local cops. A strong local base is what gets things done (see Portland, OR, for example).
There is no doubt a local base is perhaps the most important. But Portland and all the of the cities that work with the League do it because they also get a benefit. Portland continues to apply for the higher ratings and I expect if you look closely, you will see that they participate in their meetings and other events, as leader and learners.
Likes For debade:
Old 12-06-20, 07:26 PM
debade

I enjoy the ride reports of cross country cyclist on the site "crazy guy on a bike". May of those cyclist use the leagues maps.

I joined a while back after getting their magazine for free for a few months. Their magazine is quite interesting. It is not just a picture book like so many magazines these days.
You are getting LAB confused with Adventure Cycling, both good orgs.
Old 12-06-20, 07:34 PM
debade

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not many people, cyclists or not, support vehicular cycling (formerly known as Effective Cycling) as it was promoted with the controversial associated theories espoused by the former LAB director and president John Forester and his ardent disciples some of whom were LAB board members.
I was trying to find if Forester lead LAB. I never heard that and could not find the info. Are you sure about that? Just curious for my own learning. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.