Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are stamped Dropouts too thin for many Quick Release wheels?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 07:12 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts

The axles on my wheels extend too far for the quick release to get a good hold. I can use a washer on the outside or the inside. Or I can shorten the axle. What is recommended. I'm accustomed to swapping wheel sets among my 126 spaced bikes but it seems like that won't work in this case and I should leave this bike at 122 and get a wheelset dedicated to it.
Old 10-14-20, 08:37 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I've never really thought about that, but I guess that's why stamped dropout bikes always have solid axles. I'm guessing you could use a washer without any real problems. I'd probably use one large enough to increase the surface area of where it contacts the dropout, just to add a little strength.
Old 10-14-20, 08:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I opt for shortening the axle. I don't trust washers to provide the same grip on the dropout as a knurled locknut or knurled quick release body.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-14-20, 09:30 PM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
The axles on my wheels extend too far for the quick release to get a good hold. I can use a washer on the outside or the inside. Or I can shorten the axle. What is recommended. I'm accustomed to swapping wheel sets among my 126 spaced bikes but it seems like that won't work in this case and I should leave this bike at 122 and get a wheelset dedicated to it.
I would consider removing both outer knurled locknuts and adding a thin stainless steel washer of the correct size on each side of the axle. Then screw the knurled locknuts back on, adjust the tension on the bearings and maybe check the dish (though it should not have changed). That would effectively shorten the amount of axle protruding from the locknut and you could return the hub to original condition later on if you wished.
Likes For T.W.O.:
Old 10-14-20, 09:55 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by T.W.O.
I would consider removing both outer knurled locknuts and adding a thin stainless steel washer of the correct size on each side of the axle. Then screw the knurled locknuts back on, adjust the tension on the bearings and maybe check the dish (though it should not have changed). That would effectively shorten the amount of axle protruding from the locknut and you could return the hub to original condition later on if you wished.
Yes, I would do that before shortening the axle. The rear stays would need to be reset and dropouts aligned to fit the hub. The only problem with that is they won't solve the op's problem.

Last edited by branko_76; 10-14-20 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 09:59 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by Classtime
That would be the best option. There were many, many bikes that had stamped dropouts and 122mm rear hubs. Plain-Jane high flange Normandy hubs from the 1970's have that spacing and are abundant on the used market.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 10-15-20, 04:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
That would be the best option. There were many, many bikes that had stamped dropouts and 122mm rear hubs. Plain-Jane high flange Normandy hubs from the 1970's have that spacing and are abundant on the used market.
If the OP does go Normandy, he should check the cone and race condition. The cones are only case-hardened, and they pit easily, and a lot of times they weren't that smooth to start with - here's an example, the ball track has only just started to form (it's not even as marked as the ring from the dustcap), those pits were there first:

And if does go Normandy, he should also start looking for spare hubs/cones. I do.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 10-15-20, 06:55 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Cut the axle or find one that can accommodate your 122mm dropouts. 2mm extra overhang on either side is a fair bit for thin dropouts.
Old 10-15-20, 07:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The quick release should work as long as the axle does not extend past the dropout face. Either add washers or shorten the axle if this is an issue.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-15-20, 07:27 AM
Classtime 

My Raleigh GS with the stamped dropouts didn’t come to me with wheels and I was hoping to use some 36 hole 27 inch MA40 laced to Mavic 500. The Mavics don’t lend themselves to shortened axles. I think I’d go Helicomatic before I going Normandy Sport. Yikes. I thought this would be a common problem with known and commonly used workarounds.
Old 10-15-20, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Axle protrusion normally isn't a problem on the drive side due the extra width of the claw adapter. The width of a stamped dropout plus claw adapter should be pretty close to a forged dropout. By adjusting cones to provide more axle protrusion on the drive side, you just may be able to get away without using any spacers or shortening the axle.

If not, have you thought of installing a claw adapter on the non-drive dropout? That would effectively widen the dropout, though you might have to play around with fore-aft positioning to centre the wheel between the chain stays.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-15-20, 07:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
First, it is far more common for quick releases to work on stamped drops. The drops are just too thin, generally.

I have run into this situation time and time again. I feel no worries over removing a wee bit (enough necessary), from each end to shorten the axle. Be forewarned, though that you just might run into a second problem...

Quick release (hollow, as a rule) are slightly larger in diameter than nutted axles. That slightly larger diameter means that the axle will not fit into the front drop slots (assuming the front drops are also stamped). In such a case, I do my best to equally file flats onto the ends of the axle. I never file the drops (I am not a fan of altering bicycle frames or forks).

Hope that is a bit of help.
Old 10-15-20, 07:49 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Knurled washers are readily available in many flavors that would bite into the dropouts quite nicely.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 10-15-20, 10:23 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by oneclick
If the OP does go Normandy, he should check the cone and race condition. The cones are only case-hardened, and they pit easily, and a lot of times they weren't that smooth to start with - here's an example, the ball track has only just started to form (it's not even as marked as the ring from the dustcap), those pits were there first:

And if does go Normandy, he should also start looking for spare hubs/cones. I do.
I've seen pitting on Normandy cones, but never on the races.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
Old 10-15-20, 01:25 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Axle protrusion normally isn't a problem on the drive side due the extra width of the claw adapter. The width of a stamped dropout plus claw adapter should be pretty close to a forged dropout. By adjusting cones to provide more axle protrusion on the drive side, you just may be able to get away without using any spacers or shortening the axle.

If not, have you thought of installing a claw adapter on the non-drive dropout? That would effectively widen the dropout, though you might have to play around with fore-aft positioning to centre the wheel between the chain stays.
Brilliant. And I think I have one.
Old 10-15-20, 01:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
A reversed (clamp/screw) claw hanger is a great idea. If it does the job, cut off the hanger portion and none will be the wiser.

John
Old 10-15-20, 01:58 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
I remember the skewer rod threaded end poking out of the skewer nut a bit on the drive side dropout of my 1982 Peugeot PH10S, because it had the thinner stamped dropouts. Otherwise the OLD was as typical for that time (122mm, IIRC.) . So it only affects the skewers. Best to make sure that you have enough threads at the end of the skewer rod to make sure the skewer nut does not bottom out on the shaft before it can clamp down hard enough on the dropout.
Old 10-15-20, 02:32 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've never really thought about that, but I guess that's why stamped dropout bikes always have solid axles. ... .
??? Circa 1970, many bikes, including the Peugeot UO-8, the Schwinn Continental, and the American Eagle Semi-Pro, had stamped dropouts and rear QR. Same with the 1960 Capos, although the top-of-the-line Siegers (pictured) admittedly did have a pair of clever U-shaped braze-ons to give the appearance and function of a forged dropout. I have never had a problem I couldn't resolve with an extra washer/spacer or two on the axle.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 10-15-20, 07:35 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've never really thought about that, but I guess that's why stamped dropout bikes always have solid axles. I'm guessing you could use a washer without any real problems. I'd probably use one large enough to increase the surface area of where it contacts the dropout, just to add a little strength.
Stamped dropout bikes in the '67 through maybe 1980s did in fact have QRs: UO-8's, my Ernie Clements 1969 Falcon, the Raleigh Gran Prix and Super Courses are good examples. Also there were legions of other French bikes that to all appearances were clones of the UO-8 (or just imitated each other, and similar for entry level Italian bikes, such as cheap Atala, Benotto, and Fiorelli, which were common in Chicago, often with now-vaunted Nuovo Tipo hubs.

In my memory the premise about nutted attachments is not correct.
Old 10-15-20, 08:35 PM
branko_76 

Quick-Release skewers have "hollow ground" bearing surfaces which allows for some axle protrusion from the dropouts. Forged drop-outs that I've measured are 7mm thick, the thinnest stamped d.o. from a 1970's Raleigh is 4.5mm, that's 2.5mm difference. This Maillard skewer has a 3mm counter-bore, that's a little too close for comfort, but with a little fussing, it could work...

Old 10-16-20, 07:22 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Another vote for taking up the extra axle width by adding a washer between the cone and the locknut. It works, it's reversible, it's not a pain every time you remove the wheel, and it's simple to do.

There's no reason to create a second set of problems by putting a washer outboard of the locknut. Given how easy it is to install a washer as described above, this is both lazy and silly.

-Kurt

Old 10-16-20, 09:47 AM
Classtime 

The washer outboard of the locknut was a pain. As was a washer outboard of the dropout. I was already spreading the rear end to accommodate the 126 wheel and would rather not spread any further for a washer inboard. The claw adapter works well for now and if this bike becomes a regular rider, I will build a wheelset with the correct length axle.