Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heavy Bikes are better !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 07:02 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Heavy bikes give you a better workout when you get home and have to carry them up 2 flights of stairs.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 10-29-20, 07:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Only true if you can safely cruise l at the highest speeds possible.

If higher speeds are unsafe or impossible (for example, riding in city traffic or gravel / off road) then a heavier bike will indeed give better workout.

I'm not sure about the physics of this claim, but I do know that I strongly prefer a lighter bike for commuting in a city. I'm safer if I can better keep up with the flow of traffic (rather than being passed by more vehicles) and get through intersections more quickly.

In commuting, safety outweighs all other concerns.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-29-20, 07:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Heavy bikes give you a better workout when you get home and have to carry them up 2 flights of stairs.

From experience, I can state categorically this is true. When people have asked me whether they should spend the money for a lighter bike, my first question is usually whether they're going to need to carry it and the follow up is whether they have a bad back.

Heavy bikes aren't just heavy, negotiating security doors, etc., and carrying them around staircase corners can be very awkward.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-29-20 at 07:09 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 07:14 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
You can shift to a heavier gear on a lighter bike which means that with the same force applied you go faster than with a heavier bike in a smaller/lower gear. A light bke doesn't mean you can't get a proper workout. It just means you can go faster for the same effort. Hence why carrying all your touring gear means you go slower than if you weren't carrying it.
Think.. suggest you need to ride the lighter bike at speed and report back.
Old 10-29-20, 07:17 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Think.. suggest you need to ride the lighter bike at speed and report back.
LOL, what are actually suggesting? That a lighter bike is impossible to ride at higher speeds? Or that you can't use a heavier gear on a lighter bike?

I know for a fact you can ride a lighter bike faster than a heavier bike. And in a higher gear for the same effort.

Edited to add:
Or maybe it's completely flat where you are, meaning you can't really tell a difference when at speed - and at speeds where wind resistance isn't a factor?
Old 10-29-20, 08:06 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
In commuting, yes.

But what about if you're hauling >30 lbs of groceries (unless you never haul groceries with your bike?)? Eventually you'll need to build up strength so you can keep up with traffic if you really want to be safe and not just depend on the bike's weight. I do agree with you about keeping up/pacing the traffic is safer than having them pass you with a large speed difference.
Here is N+1 "again".
Old 10-29-20, 08:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My average speed in city riding is only marginally better in my road bike than the MTB even if putting out the same effort.

I'm simply arriving at the traffic stop (red light) sooner on the road bike. Which means I have longer times resting (waiting for the red light to turn green) which would actually mean I'm having more rest periods (receiving less workout) in the road bike.

Even Strava shows the same. Though I'm faster in segments in the road bike, the average speed or time spent in the route is about the same in the road bike and MTB. It means I'm completing the segments sooner but spending longer time not moving in the traffic stops.

Like I said, different riders, different cities. I'm covering a lot more ground riding a fast light bike in the Boston area than I could do on a heavy bike. Whatever workout gain I get from the marginal increase in effort at a traffic light on the heavy bike I more than make up for by getting to more lights on the light bike and increasing my riding range.

I know from previous postings that you are a lot lighter than I am, so differences in bike weights are a lot smaller proportion of the gross vehicle weight for me than they are for you. That probably makes it a bigger difference in effort per mile for you than it does me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The only dilemma here if riding the same route and comparing between heavy and light bike, you'll arrive at the destination sooner with the lighter bike if spending the same effort. That means less calories burned because you were riding at the same effort you would with a heavier bike but in a shorter period of time.

To actually achieve the same workout level with a heavier bike with a lighter bike, you'll have to pedal at a higher effort than you would with a heavier bike. Of course, this is only feasible to do if it's safe (to cruise at significantly higher speeds)

You're assuming that the "correct" measure of the quality of workout is effort per mile. For me, the far more relevant measure would be effort per hour, and for those, there's really no significant difference. If I spend less effort on my fixed distance commute, I'm just going to ride more recreational miles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 08:12 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Koyote

I'm not sure about the physics of this claim, but I do know that I strongly prefer a lighter bike for commuting in a city. I'm safer if I can better keep up with the flow of traffic (rather than being passed by more vehicles) and get through intersections more quickly.

In commuting, safety outweighs all other concerns.
In commuting, yes.

But what about if you're hauling >30 lbs of groceries (unless you never haul groceries with your bike?)? Eventually you'll need to build up strength so you can keep up with traffic if you really want to be safe and not just depend on the bike's weight. I do agree with you about keeping up/pacing the traffic is safer than having them pass you with a large speed difference.
I don't understand your point. A lighter bike, other things equal, allows me to better keep up with traffic and maneuver in an urban setting, regardless of my "strength." That's just physics.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-29-20, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't understand your point. A lighter bike, other things equal, allows me to better keep up with traffic and maneuver in an urban setting, regardless of my "strength." That's just physics.

I've ridden with 30 pounds of groceries on my bike quite a few times, there's no way I can accelerate as fast as I can on an unladen bike. But I've never experienced a situation where I thought the lack of acceleration somehow made me incapable of dealing with traffic or was otherwise a safety issue.

If someone is trying to ride comfortably in the traffic lane with a heavy load of groceries, that's their business, but I'm basically riding some form of FRAP most of the time, so I can't take this idea seriously at all.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 08:20 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've ridden with 30 pounds of groceries on my bike quite a few times, there's no way I can accelerate as fast as I can on an unladen bike. But I've never experienced a situation where I thought the lack of acceleration somehow made me incapable of dealing with traffic or was otherwise a safety issue.

If someone is trying to ride comfortably in the traffic lane with a heavy load of groceries, that's their business, but I'm basically riding some form of FRAP most of the time, so I can't take this idea seriously at all.
I don't ride in traffic with 30 lbs of cargo, either. Was just pointing out that cubewheels 's post makes no sense.
Old 10-29-20, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't ride in traffic with 30 lbs of cargo, either. Was just pointing out that cubewheels 's post makes no sense.

I was agreeing with you.
Old 10-29-20, 08:58 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

What you seem to forget is that if you're strong - regardless of you being almost superhuman, you can still ride faster on a lighter bike.It's physics, you can't cheat it.
Try riding a cargo bike with 70-90 kgs on it and then do it with, say, 10 kgs afterwards. You'd be amazed at the difference.
Or, how about going bike touring at some stage. You will quickly notice that the more weight you're carrying, the slower you are. It doesn't matter how strong you are, you will always be faster on a lighter bike.
Old 10-29-20, 09:03 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

All this makes you wonder why people who race professionally don't train on bikes whose tubes are filled with lead. I mean, heavier bikes are better, so their training bikes must weigh, oh, I don't know, 70-100 kilos, right.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-29-20, 09:05 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Here in Manila, it's very often someone in the leftmost lane (left turn only) would not turn left but gun it straight across, often involving multiple vehicles at a time. When I'm also turning left, I'm just at the right edge of the lane so I can quickly get to the rightmost lane after turning left.

To avoid getting cut off by cars going straight in the left most lane, I have to do a sprint start at my maximum power out of the saddle and. In the vast majority of cases, I can outpace the cars right up to the transition to the right lane. If I'm carrying groceries, I pedal out of the saddle all the way home for extra power, because otherwise, I'll be slower. I put all my groceries at the back of the bike for this reason to keep the rear wheel loaded and not bouncing all over the place when I'm out of the saddle pedaling.
1) Placing yourself correctly will avoid the need for "sprint starts", lol.
2) Your rear wheel bounces when you stand up and pedal unless it's loaded down with groceries? What the hell?
Old 10-29-20, 09:17 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Remember well.. a 'heavy hauler' in FL many winters ago. Loaded to around 3-4' width... riding a narrow busy highway.. sorta windy too. Me driving car towards him I see the semi w no intent on slowing much for the pass of said 'hauler'. I slowed ... now.. and got far right against railing. Sweep of wind did unsettle 'hauler'.. some ..nearly nailed by car following semi.

The semi and car "operators" are what they are.. circumstances of riding a bike. Yet 'hauler' riding that bike on that route was much, much more stooopid. Moronic.
Old 10-29-20, 09:20 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Obviously.

I only wish to emphasize the workout value of heavier bikes if you ride close to the threshold. To burn the same calories in a lightweight bike, you'll need to go faster and farther. And that may not always be possible, especially when the roads are bad or the traffic doesn't give you the opportunity to speed.
Again: Why do the training bikes of the pros not weigh 70-100 kgs? I mean, it's better according to you people.

In reality, you only need to use a higher gear on a lighter bike to spend the same amount of calories on a fixed distance as you would in a lower gear on the heavier bike. That's how home trainers/rollers work: Resistance.
Old 10-29-20, 09:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Obviously.

I only wish to emphasize the workout value of heavier bikes if you ride close to the threshold. To burn the same calories in a lightweight bike, you'll need to go faster and farther. And that may not always be possible, especially when the roads are bad or the traffic doesn't give you the opportunity to speed.
Again, you seem to be in over your depth. Cycling might be described as a mature activity, in that it's not necessary for each new rider to reinvent the wheel.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-29-20, 10:05 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I live in a poor country so not surprisingly, most of our roads are poorly maintained and consequently bumpy in a lot of sections.

If you watched my video I showed you in another thread, my rear wheel isn't bouncing off the rough sections when I'm out of the saddle. That's because I'm shifting my weight to the back. It's not my preferred out of the saddle position however but have to do it over rough patches to maintain traction.
People ride mountain bikes over much more rugged surfaces without having their rear wheel "bounce all of the place" when standing up and powering through. And without heavy bags at the back.

My preferred out of the saddle position is my weight shifted more to the front but not applicable every time due to our bad roads. However, with heavy groceries at the back, I can maintain the ideal out of the saddle position all the time.
Actually, having weight at the back (and not the front) makes it harder to stand up and power through. That's why most recommend having weight on the front while touring. Having things either hanging loosely from your saddle as on your previous bike or having heavy bags on the back will make the bike more prone to being pulled from side to side. As it is, and on a normal bike, most of the weight (the rider) is on the rear wheel as it is. Leaning over your handlebars so much that you lose grip on the rear is far from the "ideal out of the saddle position".

But, anyway, "heavy bikes are best"
Old 10-29-20, 10:19 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

There comes a point where extra weight in training becomes excessive as it alters the bike's handling considerably and can prove detrimental to handling skills when eventually riding on lightweight bikes.

I don't haul groceries in most of my rides.
Oh, so heavier bikes are NOT better? Makes the whole "use a heavier gear" much more appropriate than getting a heavier bike, doesn't it?

Pros have all the time and they even have vehicle ******* to train at the best effort / speed with their lightweight bikes - safely.
The pros I've known didn't have a car with them when they trained solo.

But we all can't train like pros. Us younger ones still have to work for a living, take care of someone, etc. So budget and time can be very limited, as well as other options. Just have to make do with what you have!
Yet, those circumstances doesn't change the physics one bit.
How do you think indoor trainers work?
Unless you have a singlespeed or fixie, you can change the resistance (i.e. "weight") as you please (gears for the win!). Hence, some are "spinners" and some are "mashers". I'm the latter, but trying to become more of a spinner after my amputation.
Perhaps I also need to remind you that I ride a cargo bike, and have been riding such bikes for years. Heavy is not good.
Old 10-29-20, 10:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There comes a point where extra weight in training becomes excessive as it alters the bike's handling considerably and can prove detrimental to handling skills when eventually riding on lightweight bikes.

I don't haul groceries in most of my rides.

Pros have all the time and they even have vehicle ******* to train at the best effort / speed with their lightweight bikes - safely. But we all can't train like pros. Us younger ones still have to work for a living, take care of someone, etc. So budget and time can be very limited, as well as other options. Just have to make do with what you have!

Here's where I think you're getting in over your head in this "argument". If you want to say "under this particular set of circumstances, a heavier bike might give you a better workout than a lighter one", that's fine, but you've now qualified the general statement that heavier bikes give a better workout so much that it doesn't make much sense. I've carried 30 pounds of groceries on a 24 pound bike and on a 50 pound bike. If I have a choice, I'm going to take the 24 pound bike any day.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-20, 10:35 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

And I didn't seemed to have any problems out of the saddle in my video.
It was you, yourself, who brought up that your rearwheel bounced when you were in your preferred out-of-the-saddle position. That was all you. You also mentioned that in order for that to NOT happen, you needed the groceries in the back. That was all you.
I try to make heads and tale of what you're saying, and your response: That you didn't have any problems in a video you posted.

Make up your mind.

That would be the case if I'm sitted most of the time. But in the city with plenty of stops and accelerating, I ride with a heavy load almost entirely out of the saddle which helps load the front wheel with my body weight when out of the saddle.
Exactly as I said: Too much weight in the rear will create a problem. But again, overdoing the weight shift forward to the extent that it unloads your rear tire on flat ground is way too much.

And the need to put down more power when accelerating with cargo that's why out of the saddle.
Make up your mind.

I think it's impossible to lean over to the front too much.
Of course you think it's impossible to overdo. That's why you rear wheel loses traction and "bounces all over the place" when not loaded down with groceries.

If you did, you'll be unable to put down as much force on the pedals, you'll slow down, especially uphill, and it's quite noticeable.
Again: That's exactly what you described earlier when you said there wasn't enough traction on the rear and that the rear "bounced" when you were out of the saddle unless you had loaded it with groceries.

Okay, you keep digging and keep contradicting yourself, so I will ignore you for a while in order to not completely ruin this thread too.
Old 10-29-20, 10:41 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I think we decided that cycling is a poor form of exercise anyway, so why bother with a heavy bike? 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-29-20, 10:51 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I said I'd ignore you for a while, but taking your claims as they are put forth is not to "pick out [your] words and put together in a bad way". I have not edited your words. Especially not when you contradict yourself from one sentence to the next.
Okay, I'm done. People can re-read your contradictions up-thread.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-29-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 11:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
All this makes you wonder why people who race professionally don't train on bikes whose tubes are filled with lead. I mean, heavier bikes are better, so their training bikes must weigh, oh, I don't know, 70-100 kilos, right.
The peer pressure to ride the same type of feather weight bike as the rest of the crowd is overwhelming. Even when training, where one should be devoting their hours to building up their muscles.

It's only a matter of time until some brave racer thinks outside the box, loads his/her bike down with weights for training, and then goes on to crush the competition at the races.

The following year the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality will spin the other way and everyone will be loading down their training bikes for that competitive edge. Noticing the trend, manufactures will quickly begin marketing specialized heavy "muscle building" training bikes. Bike Forums will have a sub forum devoted to 'em, where riders share their reverse weight weenie secrets and 100 kg will be the baseline for training bike bragging rights.
Likes For AlmostTrick:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.