Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You can tell there are a lot of new bikes out on the trails

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 09:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

One of the things that has happened because of this virus thing, is that a lot of people have turned to getting new bikes and riding them. You can see that is true because of the shortage of all types of bikes and parts.

I have noticed one way to tell this is the fact there are small bike parts on the trails. Riding a low tadpole trike it is easy to see what is on the trail. I have picked up several allen cap head screws that have fallen off of bikes. People really need to completely check over their new bikes, and see that all the nuts bolts and screws are tight before the first ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-13-20, 10:28 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've been hunting for a new (to me at least) bike for a while now and the supply is eaten up as fast as they appear. I'm always a day late when I find something of interest. Does anyone see this situation changing anytime soon, or will Xmas spur on new purchases again. And yes, there are definitely lots of uneducated riders out there lately. Usually hogging the shoulder and going in the wrong direction....
Old 11-13-20, 10:36 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Might slow down in some areas with inclement weather (not where I reside since it mostly doesn't happen). I was at my LBS yesterday and they're still on a "bikes come in, then go right out" basis. The holiday season will exacerbate the situation IMO. Individuals who used to get exercise playing basketball or some other group sport now have bicycling or hiking as an alternative.
Old 11-13-20, 10:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Oooh, a twist on a heavily used thread topic. Nice work, bent!***
Yes, lets all listen to bent's PSA and tighten those bolts.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-13-20, 11:07 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I wasn't convinced that there are a lot of new riders on my local MUP due to the increased numbers of people with shiny new machines exhibiting a lack of cycling skills and trail manors rather it is the sheer number of cap screws littering the trail that have convinced me that we are in the midst of a bike boom.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 11-13-20, 11:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
And here I thought I was becoming a faster cyclist by blowing by more people. Guess I will have to start looking for cap screws instead of reflectors in the spokes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-20, 11:53 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Could it be the preponderance of cap screws indicates there are still a lot of older bikes out there turning their last miles before they finally self-destruct like Elwood Blues' 1974 Dodge?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-14-20, 08:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Could it be the preponderance of cap screws indicates there are still a lot of older bikes out there turning their last miles before they finally self-destruct like Elwood Blues' 1974 Dodge?
Nope the ones I have found lately are brand new in pristine condition. Had to have come from new bikes.
Old 11-14-20, 10:55 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
And here I thought I was becoming a faster cyclist by blowing by more people. Guess I will have to start looking for cap screws instead of reflectors in the spokes.
I got a chuckle out of the reflectors in the spokes! My wife, who has been riding for 35yrs or more, has reflectors in her spokes. I have offered to remove them, but she wants them left in. We used to ride more around dusk and nighttime than now, but she still wants those reflectors left on. Happy wife-happy life-so unless they fall off, they're staying put!
Old 11-14-20, 12:36 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Let the snobbery let loose.

Look at these fools and their Walmart bikes !
They should get a Trek Carbon !

While you're at it, please complain about all the new bodies
on the golf and tennis courts and hiking trails
Old 11-14-20, 12:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife

I don't think that is what rydabent said or meant at all. It felt to me more that with new bikes one should go over them and make sure they are 100% safe before riding. However I really doubt highly that people are loosing bolts to the levels he makes it seem like. Also 'bent probably would suggest people ride the latest IceTrike or Cattrike or something recumbent not some carbon crap from Trek.

If you buy a new bike and you don't have it assembled by a competent mechanic and don't check over it, you probably should. I think that is the takeaway here.
Old 11-14-20, 01:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
I have noticed more serious cyclists out in the boonies where I ride. Just parking on the side of the roads unloading their bikes and going for a cruise.
Old 11-14-20, 01:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't think that is what rydabent said or meant at all. It felt to me more that with new bikes one should go over them and make sure they are 100% safe before riding. However I really doubt highly that people are loosing bolts to the levels he makes it seem like. Also 'bent probably would suggest people ride the latest IceTrike or Cattrike or something recumbent not some carbon crap from Trek.

If you buy a new bike and you don't have it assembled by a competent mechanic and don't check over it, you probably should. I think that is the takeaway here.
I love scaring bike snobs Crazy liberal redneck with high end road and mountain bikes. Your worse nightmare coming true... Since I can wrench bikes fairly well the snob in need always receives my help. Just quit trembling I will still bite ya LOL.
Old 11-14-20, 02:38 PM
freeranger

One thing I have noticed on the local mup is more and more cyclists sitting straight up, catching wind like a sail. But at least they are out riding and enjoying the day. Just looks odd after not seeing that style of bike/rider all that much. Also seeing more e-recumbents than ever. Might have something to do with we're retired, so we ride during the week, to avoid crowds, as are many (most?) riders we see when we are out.
Old 11-14-20, 02:55 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
One thing I have noticed on the local mup is more and more cyclists sitting straight up, catching wind like a sail.
Are they flat-bar hybrid bikes? IE, not drop bar? I live right by a MUP so I see a lot of bikes and I am convinced flat-bar hybrids rule the market, at least around here.

The thing I've noticed is how disk-brake bikes now make up a solid majority. If I had to make a wild guess I'd say they outnumber rim brakes by at least 5 to 1. Probably more.
Old 11-14-20, 03:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
On a ride last weekend, I passed a couple who were stopped with their bikes, nearly identical his-and-hers models. They were having, let's just say, a heated discussion that was noticeable from a distance. As I passed, I heard several oaths sworn about the handling of one of the bikes and its brakes. I also noticed that the fork was pointing backwards on the bike. This is something I had heard of, and maybe even seen, but not actually out in the wild.

Partly due to the covid, and also due to social rules regarding couples and heated discussions, I simply rode past. But still, it was a thing to be noticed.

What I've noticed in my locale is the rising popularity of drop-bar bikes. My spouse noticed and asked me: "Are drop bars back in fashion again?" Now looks can be deceiving, but a lot of the drop bar bikes don't show the outward trappings of "serious" cyclists, such as cycling garb or even high speeds. They strike me as just regular folks enjoying a ride. There's a lot of that. Bring it on.
Old 11-14-20, 03:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Nope the ones I have found lately are brand new in pristine condition. Had to have come from new bikes.
Yep, because the only way to obtain new screws is to purchase a new bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-14-20, 04:16 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I love scaring bike snobs Crazy liberal redneck with high end road and mountain bikes. Your worse nightmare coming true... Since I can wrench bikes fairly well the snob in need always receives my help. Just quit trembling I will still bite ya LOL.
Now that's a conundrum if there ever was one. I didn't know liberal and redneck could be used to describe the same individual.
Old 11-14-20, 04:17 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Now that's a conundrum if there ever was one. I didn't know liberal and redneck could be used to describe the same individual.
Maybe he's Trae Crowder:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTH...XK1bp4vpifl6yA
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-14-20, 05:05 PM
freeranger

[QUOTE=Reflector Guy;21790395]Are they flat-bar hybrid bikes? IE, not drop bar? I live right by a MUP so I see a lot of bikes and I am convinced flat-bar hybrids rule the market, at least around here.

More like a beach cruisers with gears. Seeing more e-bikes and e-recumbents also (the number of e-recumbents is surprising!)
Old 11-14-20, 05:20 PM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
It’s a wonderful thing.
Old 11-14-20, 05:25 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
On my local trails there are more people walking new puppies than riding new bikes.
Old 11-14-20, 09:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
hyd disc brakes def out number the c-clampers.
Hybrid flat bar is prominent as well.

I've noticed a lot of lost homes for water bottles, but nothing much else.
Old 11-14-20, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Redneck as in those who fought in the coal mine wars on the correct side (not the side of the private gun thugs and U.S. government who dropped bombs on U.S. citizens)? Or the pejorative term for generally less wealthy folks of lighter skin in the south?
Old 11-14-20, 10:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife

Now that you mention it.....

I think it is fantastic that more people are getting off their posteriors and getting into the great outdoors, exercising and finding new pursuits. Hopefully after the CV-19 is over, they will keep it up. Their health will thank them for it (well maybe not if they rent golf carts). Maybe they might even be inclined to fund parks and bike path expansion. Oops sorry, guess that wasn’t snobby enough. I will try to do better. Please don’t kick me out of the club.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.