Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Old 11-17-20, 10:59 AM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You seem to want to make this harder than it needs to be. Not the best plan of action ....

Whatever .... this is just bicycling, not performing heart surgery while doing rocket science. You will figure it out.
Just the way I am. You have no idea...
Old 11-17-20, 12:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard
... and a front suspension fork.

Yea, they exist. Never bought a new bike before. It scares me.
Neither of the two bikes he posted had a front suspension. You want a flat barred gravel rider, but now you want it with a front suspension? Am I reading that right?
Old 11-17-20, 12:39 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

There's a small single-track on my commute, and several near the river where I ride for entertainment. But importantly, the pavement around here is awful, and the sidewalks are worse. The suspension fork has worked well for me so far. I'm not interested in running fat tires, prefer something around 1.5", with a bit of side traction, is perfect for the routes I'm usually on.
Do not ride on the sidewalk. Seriously, you're not a small kid.

You can get cheaper and better by nixing the front suspension demand.
Why buy a bike for the "small single-track on [your] commute" when that is not what is needed anywhere else? You can ride single track without a front suspension (and without a full suspended bike). That's what people did before they were a thing.

Yea, no problem taking my time - been doing that for a long time LOL. I keep checking out the Trek Dual Sport and FX models. I like the frame on the FX better, just not sure if it's going to get me through the crappy surfaces I'm on a lot.
Won't be a problem at all.

Nothing is perfect of course. I'm sure whatever I end up with I'll be tweaking it a lot. Already did that with my current main ride, which is a 2001 Trek 8000. It's a FUN ride. My real fear is I'll buy a new bike, and won't like it as much.
If you know what you want, and you're making an informed decision based on needs mostly and wants secondly, you can make a good choice so it will actually be an upgrade.

Edit: Just from one manufacturer (Giant), 700c, flat bar, and front sus:

Four on this page:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...heel-size=700c

Two on this page:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ity-and-hybrid

And, finally, sixteen on this page (hardtail MTBs - so not 700c):
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...bikes/hardtail

That's just from a single, one, manufacturer, and the prices are from cheap (or at least not much) to very expensive. T
here are loads out there.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-17-20 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 02:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Yeah, it is funny to me, front suspension on pavement. When I started, "mountain biking" meant a bike---regular, rigid diamond-frame bike---with 1.6 or 2-inch tires. "Suspension" wasn't a thing---and we rode the same trails I now ride with full suspension (at least the easier ones.) We were a Lot slower ... but I sure developed better riding skills trying to wrestle a "normal" bike over those obstacles.

A good fat-tire rigid bike should be able to handle Any kind of pavement, considering people used to bomb rock gardens and root fields and sand and mud and whatever on them .....

But, as @CargoDane notes, there are plenty of suspension options.

Also ... you can mount a 1.5 slick on a 650b rim .... or even a narrower tire, depending on the rim width.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-20, 02:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the trek 8000? I looked online and it seems like a good bike Aluminum frame, suspension fork ... stick a tall stem and riser bars on it and ride away.
Old 11-17-20, 03:00 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I don't see a problem either. The kind of bike he wants is absolutely everywhere. It's just a matter of sizes and how cheap or expensive the components and frame material should be.
Old 11-17-20, 03:12 PM
TheLizard

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Do not ride on the sidewalk. Seriously, you're not a small kid.

You can get cheaper and better by nixing the front suspension demand.
Why buy a bike for the "small single-track on [your] commute" when that is not what is needed anywhere else? You can ride single track without a front suspension (and without a full suspended bike). That's what people did before they were a thing.

Won't be a problem at all.

If you know what you want, and you're making an informed decision based on needs mostly and wants secondly, you can make a good choice so it will actually be an upgrade.

Edit: Just from one manufacturer (Giant), 700c, flat bar, and front sus:

Four on this page:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...heel-size=700c

Two on this page:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...ity-and-hybrid

And, finally, sixteen on this page (hardtail MTBs - so not 700c):
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...bikes/hardtail

That's just from a single, one, manufacturer, and the prices are from cheap (or at least not much) to very expensive. T
here are loads out there.
Yea, I've seen quite a few I like online. Of course, none of them are actually available to me. Unless I want to take a significant road trip.
Thus my original "hard to find" comment.
Likes For TheLizard:
Old 11-17-20, 03:30 PM
Maelochs

Some folks, I hear, have bought bikes by mail. Some folks have ordered bikes on the internet, and had then delivered.

Not all bikes are available that way ... but if you have been riding long enough to know exactly what you want, you are the perfect long-distance buyer.

Again ... I didn't see what was wrong with the old Trek. Just old?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-20, 04:07 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Yea, I've seen quite a few I like online. Of course, none of them are actually available to me. Unless I want to take a significant road trip.
Thus my original "hard to find" comment.

Seriously, now it's just that nothing is n close vicinity to where you live? I bought my Dahon Smooth Hound from Germany (because that was the only place which had it) (I live in Denmark). I bought my Bullitt by phone (although, that does only have one frame size), and my Ti Omnium was a frame I custom ordered to my specs, picked a size, and then picked it up on my Bullitt and rode home with it where I assembled the thing. I fiddled a little with different stems, but that was it.

As Maelochs said: Buy it online or have your dealer get one home for you.
I'd also like to ask the same question he asked: What's wrong with the Trek?
Old 11-17-20, 04:21 PM
TheLizard

Seriously, now it's just that nothing is n close vicinity to where you live? I bought my Dahon Smooth Hound from Germany (because that was the only place which had it) (I live in Denmark). I bought my Bullitt by phone (although, that does only have one frame size), and my Ti Omnium was a frame I custom ordered to my specs, picked a size, and then picked it up on my Bullitt and rode home with it where I assembled the thing. I fiddled a little with different stems, but that was it.

As Maelochs said: Buy it online or have your dealer get one home for you.
I'd also like to ask the same question he asked: What's wrong with the Trek?
Well there may be other options. But for all the links you sent me, they are unable to deliver to my house, and can the only dealers available where I can pick up are at least 250 miles away (the one I'd actually want would be over 600 miles away).

I'm not in Germany, so maybe you have better luck. Used to be REALLY easy to buy a descent bike around here before the COVID lockdowns, but not so much these days.
Old 11-17-20, 04:27 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I concur with others, a bike fit may do wonders to make it more comfortable. The proper padded shorts will also help a great deal with comfort issues. They make them to just look like normal shorts if the spandex thing isn't something your're into. I love being "out there", I love recording the rides and uploading to Strava a picking the data apart even though I accept that I'll not likely get any faster overall is it fun to try to make new PB's on segments. I love the "shiny new toy" thing with bikes. I even enjoy just going out and having leisurly rides when I don't care about performance. I also have a great friend I ride with frequently to mix things up. You can also try gravel riding or maybe even Mtn biking. Best of luck, hope it works out for you!
Old 11-17-20, 04:29 PM
TheLizard

Some folks, I hear, have bought bikes by mail. Some folks have ordered bikes on the internet, and had then delivered.

Not all bikes are available that way ... but if you have been riding long enough to know exactly what you want, you are the perfect long-distance buyer.

Again ... I didn't see what was wrong with the old Trek. Just old?
It works for me, yes. But I'd rather have larger wheels and, yes, disc brakes. LOTS of rain around here, enough that I'd definitely notice the braking difference. I live in Forest HILLS, commute through Stratford HILLS, my office is in Oregon HILL. So I need plenty of gears (have that now), and decent brakes just as capable when wet.

When I get that bike with what I want, I still won't be satisfied and I'll want to do something else with it, a different part, some accessory to go with it, almost certainly a different seat or pedals. Just the way it is.
Old 11-17-20, 04:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Well there may be other options. But for all the links you sent me, they are unable to deliver to my house, and can the only dealers available where I can pick up are at least 250 miles away (the one I'd actually want would be over 600 miles away).
I only sent you links to a single manufacturer and their bikes. No bike shops at all. And I did it solely to show that such a single manufacturer makes several of the bikes you asked for. There are other manufacturers out there, plenty of bikeshops, and so on. I'm sure that when you have settled on a specific brand, model, and size, you can find a shop willing to ship it to you.

I'm not in Germany, so maybe you have better luck. Used to be REALLY easy to buy a descent bike around here before the COVID lockdowns, but not so much these days.
I'm not in Germany either. That was the point: I ordered it from another country than the one I live in.
Old 11-17-20, 04:43 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Buy an ebike and you will enjoy riding more.
Likes For alloo:
Old 11-20-20, 10:33 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
As you suggested, a better or different bike may help. In my experience retail therapy can often provide a renewed interest in an activity. Or perhaps spend different time with a bike rather than riding; resto build for example.
Old 11-20-20, 04:35 PM
farnorth51

Bikes: Tour Easy, Gold Rush, EZ-1, EZ-3, Bike E, Bike E tandem, Double Vision, Easy Rider SC, Invacare Handcrank, Vision R-40,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
rydabent has the answer: a recumbent trike...even more fun and enjoyable is if you throw a E motor on it!
Likes For farnorth51:
Old 11-21-20, 12:13 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by farnorth51
rydabent has the answer: a recumbent trike...even more fun and enjoyable is if you throw a E motor on it!
The added benefit with a recumbent is that if you ride in traffic no car can see you--you could almost pass underneath some SUVs and pickups.

If the OP rides only rural roads with wide shoulders, go tadpole trike. If the OP dos any urban or dense suburban riding .... roll the dice.

I have wanted a trike for years but I will not decrease my survival chances by dropping below most cars' hood line. I would need to build an elevated light bar throwing retina-searing lumens before I would trust my life in a trike in traffic .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-21-20, 07:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
I have wanted a trike for years but I will not decrease my survival chances by dropping below most cars' hood line.
Me too! I rode a 'bent trike around a parking lot years ago and thought it would be great as I age and lose faculties. However, I had to drive into town a few days ago and encountered a fellow on a very low 'bent. He apparently fancied himself a "character," with all sorts of stuff hanging from the bike and his person. Nevertheless, he was surprisingly hard to see, even in small town traffic. Out on my normal rural roads he would likely be squashed by a dually pulling a horse trailer.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-21-20, 08:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The added benefit with a recumbent is that if you ride in traffic no car can see you--you could almost pass underneath some SUVs and pickups.

If the OP rides only rural roads with wide shoulders, go tadpole trike. If the OP dos any urban or dense suburban riding .... roll the dice.

I have wanted a trike for years but I will not decrease my survival chances by dropping below most cars' hood line. I would need to build an elevated light bar throwing retina-searing lumens before I would trust my life in a trike in traffic .....
My trike is equipped with two tall flags and lights. I find that drivers give me a very wide berth since they think I am some sort of handicap device. Further I do not ride on heavy use arterial streets. 90% of my in town riding is done on the 130 miles of hard surface trails that Lincoln has.
Old 11-21-20, 08:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Me too! I rode a 'bent trike around a parking lot years ago and thought it would be great as I age and lose faculties. However, I had to drive into town a few days ago and encountered a fellow on a very low 'bent. He apparently fancied himself a "character," with all sorts of stuff hanging from the bike and his person. Nevertheless, he was surprisingly hard to see, even in small town traffic. Out on my normal rural roads he would likely be squashed by a dually pulling a horse trailer.
Anyone that cant see the bulk of a trike on the streets needs better glasses or they should turn in their drivers license.
Old 11-21-20, 02:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My trike is equipped with two tall flags....
Flags and MUPs I'm not there yet....
Old 11-21-20, 06:33 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rydabent
Anyone that cant see the bulk of a trike on the streets needs better glasses or they should turn in their drivers license.
yeah ... the problem is, the don't know they should turn in their licenses until they have hit the trikes.

If I had 130 miles of good trails or even good, low-traffic roads I would be all over a trike.
Old 11-22-20, 07:17 PM
greenspark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pachyderm56
if you don't like to ride a bike don't, if you want some exercise try something else, walk, jog, run, play tennis, many many options out there, I recall back in the 80's and 90's so many people complaining about going to aerobics classes, it seemed the only reasons they went were for the community (a good reason) and for vanity wanting to look good. let it go, find something you like
Downvote this comment as not helpful
Likes For greenspark:
Old 11-23-20, 08:46 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I think I have found what you stumble over, Gene99, so let me rephrase the first paragraph of the folllowing post - part bolded is where I think you went wrong:

So, here's another try at that first paragraph:

I live in Denmark. We have plenty of cobble stoned streets here. Other people than racers and wanna-be racers suffer or find something uncomfortable or having to stand so my fillings won't shake loose. And I don't need to pretend I like to suffer or some other idiotic machismo.

So, there. More clear now?
​​​​​​​
You just don't understand it. And that's OK. Just don't pretend to.
Old 11-23-20, 09:21 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cloud
Plan shorter rides and plan just to take it easy and "smell the roses" sounds like you are treating it as a chore instead of a treat. In my opinion a nice bike makes a big difference more enjoyable to ride.
your right on all counts
Likes For trooper2899:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.