Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Freestanding or Bench Mounted: What is your vise bolted to?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Freestanding or Bench Mounted: What is your vise bolted to?

Old 12-09-20, 02:49 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I have a cheap 6" vise mounted at the end of my workbench, a flea markrt wood workers vice mounted at the opposite end, and a small Wilton clamp-on that travels where it is needed.
Old 12-09-20, 05:03 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
I have two, classic and vintage. The classic is a 6" Wilton vice. Bolted to a cabinet I built which is bolted to the studs in the wall. I wanted to be sure that if I needed to bend something the whole building would be holding the vice in place. Good for many things. For instance today it was used for a minor adjustment to the fork legs on my 1980 Nishiki International, to dismantle a knife sharpener I salvaged the guts from and to hold the handle for a stall rake that I was fitting to the head. Very versatile.

The series of drilled holes on the opposite corner from the vice accept a wooden pin. That enables me to hold all sizes of wood or plywood on edge with the vice saws holding the edge. Good for hand work on a piece. I have made copper, aluminum and stainless steel jaw covers and have store bought rubber covers. Good to protect objects from the steel jaws when needed.

Then vintage is this blacksmiths vice, purchased about 35 years ago at a local yard sale. CHEAP considering what they go for these days. This one is on the other side of the shop, bolted to my bench top. This is mostly used as a third hand for all sorts of jobs but, as it has a solid path to the poured concrete floor, is a useful anvil for many things too. As far as I'm concerned a vice needs be backed up by a solid floor. The Wilton, above is right on top of a 4x4 post, on the concrete floor. This one fits into a hardwood block, on the floor. Very useful. Oh, this blacksmiths vice is next to the loop of rope secured to the shop celing. This is my bike work stand. Slip the saddle nose through the loop and tie the rear wheel to this vice. Easy, secure and right at a comfortable level. Good lighting.

Both vices are secured to tops that are 36" high. A good working height. I keep a stool in the shop which is just right if I want to sit at the bench to work on something.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 12-09-20, 05:06 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I had a 6" Harbor Freight vise for years, and beat the living daylights out of it. I pulled it out of the dumpster where I worked, and greased it up and put it to work. Big vise. Cheap, but it also had that "beat on me" vibe and it just didnt give up the ghost. I would press in ball joints and universal joints, and anything else. Gave it to my son in law, and he's still using it. My Starrett was a windfall. It was given to me by someone whom I did some freebee bike work a few years ago. He got it from cleaning out a closed-down wood paneling business down in Massghanistan.
Old 12-09-20, 06:42 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampthing

I cut a tree to the height I wanted the vice at.
How are these outdoor vises not rusty?
Old 12-09-20, 07:10 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Yo dawg, I herd you like vises, so I put a vise in your vise so you can clamp while you clamp.

Likes For ManekiNico:
Old 12-09-20, 07:12 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
I get the novelty but what I can't figure out is why one would want one outside? It's not near a workstation, toolbox, etc. Maybe this one is for shoeing horses?
Old 12-09-20, 08:22 PM
g-funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
I get the novelty but what I can't figure out is why one would want one outside? It's not near a workstation, toolbox, etc. Maybe this one is for shoeing horses?
I move mine around. Does a rusty vise not clamp as well as a non rusty vise?
Old 12-09-20, 09:16 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
I've got a nice old Parker clamped to a temporary permanent stack of plywood on saw horses. It sways a bit when I'm cutting with a hacksaw, but "I got rhythm"

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-09-20 at 09:20 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 12-10-20, 07:26 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
the big one is outside.
no real rust issues. I keep it greased on the inside and occasionally spray the outside with phosphoric acid.
Outside there is room to use it, and a bit of a breeze to cool things down, I have room to Move around, use the torch if I need to heat things up, whatever. I put it there for one project, years ago. I found it convenient so there it stays.
I have a smaller clamp on that moves around the workbenches as needed.
my indoor space is very restricted, I have plenty of room outside. And this is South Florida so “bitter cold” means 50 with a light breeze.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 12-10-20, 02:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Appalachian foreplay.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-10-20, 04:11 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

Bolted solidly to my metal topped bench...I don’t use this bench much this time of year...so cold!

There is only one stop...probably going to spray it clear to preserve the patina...no rusty hands, yet...

This one is bolted solidly to the wooden bench...the bench that I use in cold weather!

Built-in pipe jaws here...

...removable jaws here...luckily the vice was so rusted closed, that they could not have fallen out!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 12-10-20, 04:31 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
One of the few things I saved from the fire, it was my father's and is definitely older than I am. Media blasted it at my buddy's motorcycle shop and repainted it, Park Tools Blue, of course. Bolted to the tool bench. Now I need to bolt the back of the workbench to the wall to keep it from walking on those times I have to use too much leverage.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 12-11-20, 02:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
I believe mine is on 1" plywood, strong enough to use with stuck freewheels:

And things can get messy after a few years go by...

Last edited by dddd; 12-11-20 at 02:14 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-11-20, 02:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
An actual working vise doing work will get plenty of cast off oil, grease and grime to keep it from rusting to the point of actually harming it.

Never mind that you should regularly clean and lube them whether inside or out.
Old 12-11-20, 02:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The bike area one is a recent upgrade- dynamite quality for $75!

The workhorse in the main shop area with handy accessory.

Putting the bench vise in the woodworking one wouldn't do it for me- gritty metalwork needs to be separated as much as possible from the woodwork.

Oh, then there's the one in the work rig. Bought new in the '70s and now mounted in the third van. I guess it qualifies as moveable...

Last edited by woodcraft; 12-11-20 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-12-20, 12:33 PM
Jmclay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Woodworkers, car/motorcycle technicians, welders, machinists, bicycle mechanics. Each of these trades requires a vise but all of our crafts are different enough that placement of where it is mounted sometimes makes more sense for one group than another. With a new workbench freshly tucked into my workspace, I stepped back to consider what is the best need for my bicycle workshop: A vise mounted on a freestanding base or one bolted down to the corner of the work bench. I'd love to hear your thoughts and logic as to why you went the direction you did.

What size is your vise? 5-1/2" imported Wilton Mechanics Pro. Used, high quality, older domestic vises from our golden industrial age are rare down here; sadly, my previous vise broke and I didn't have the luxury of large chunks of a year to find a replacement. That said, the new one is an excellent piece of equipment and was attractively priced.
Where is it mounted? In the middle of the triangle defined by my main frame fixture (wall mounted), my long workbench (mounted on adjacent wall) and my alignment table.
How is it mounted? Pedestal I made.
Is the height accurate for the jobs it is performing? Yes; the height was chosen to provide best ergonomics when cutting and filing frame tubes; on the low side
Overall, does it work for your needs? Of course! Perfectly. And the 360 degree swivel base is important even though I can walk around the vise; reason relates to my shaft driven Foredom tool which is mounted on the long workbench; being able to spin the vise and optimise access to the work-piece is important as is being able to do the same to allow use of the bench and alignment table for body bracing during brazing.
Care to share images?
Answers to your questions are above^^. The baseplate is larger than needed for the vise not only on the chance of a different vise in the future but more importantly to provide a clamping area for bar clamps; oriented so that the bar is vertical allows their use as adjustable height supports for creative fixturing with other clamps and items on hand; see last photo.

Last edited by Jmclay; 12-13-20 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Addnl info.
Likes For Jmclay:
Old 12-12-20, 11:20 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
Perfect time for this thread, as I met a lovely widow and we're soon to marry. She was already building a home next door to her sister in Pensacola, FL where we now plan to spend Winter. I get half of our 2 car garage and opted for a small workshop space for now.. Been gathering tools from my basement and garage work spaces. Currently my 2 garage vises are mounted on either end of a bench I made from a 51" piece cut off the 5" X 15" glu-lam garage door header of my current home. Bench is 33 1/4" tall and placed so either side and both ends are accessible. One end had a 4" Craftsman from an estate sale, other got a 5" Harbor Freight I found on their bargain table back in late 90's. Priced @ $5 due to "Missing Parts" which turned out to be just one of the swivel hold down bolts. I used a Mercedes hollow head bolt to give it some class and painted it red to match the Craftsman. Only negative is the screws of its removable jaws only have about 1 1/2 threads. So they loosen under heavy pounding. 4" Craftsman is Florida bound, so I shopped for a replacement. Best price new was on Amazon, but WOW, $pendy. Then I saw a 5 1/2 Wilton "Used, Like New". Pics certainly looked good, so for half price, I took a chance. Came in the factory box, weighs 42.5 pounds, and indeed appears to be like new. I'm also building a hard Maple/Doug Fir work bench, with Myrtle wood leg vise, all pre-fabbed, ready to assemble when we get to Florida. Don

Left 4" Craftsman Right 5" Harbor Freight

New vice dwarfs the 4" Craftsman

Still need to drill 4 bolt holes. Naturally, none of the 3 Craftsman holes work
Old 12-13-20, 09:19 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Working with limited room a few yrs ago I built a new bench and redid my Parker vice and mounted it to the corner. I built the bench so it would never move no matter how much force I put on the vice. The bench is both nailed and bolted into place along with a 3/16" steel plate welded and tied into the wall under the wood top with a piece of 18ga sheet metal right under the vice. I also have a big made in the USA vice mounted on a steel bench outside (along with a Williams pipe vice) for when I am welding or cutting metal with a torch.

Glenn

Likes For Glennfordx4:
Old 12-13-20, 11:36 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I had a ^^^Parker vise exactly like this,^^^ but the guy who rebuilt it made it so darn pretty that I didnt have the heart to actually mount it and use it. Seriously! The jaws in that vise were polished like chrome, as was the handle and the little adjustment wrench on the base. Some folks are waaaay into restoring old metal objects, and I think this guy got a little carried away with it. Using that vise would be as bad as using a shiny-new Lincoln pickup truck to go mudding.
Old 12-13-20, 02:43 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I built the bench so it would never move no matter how much force I put on the vice. The bench is both nailed and bolted into place along with a 3/16" steel plate welded and tied into the wall under the wood top with a piece of 18ga sheet metal right under the vice.
I would say that beast isn't going anywhere so long as the house/garage is standing. Nice to have a little more direction on steel plates for my own pursuit.
Thanks for the post!
Old 12-14-20, 01:01 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The vise is seldom used for bicycle work, but I have a 4" metal vise with an anvil surface on a swivel base, bolted to the corner of a bench made of 2" lumber and fastened to the wall. The fastening gets to be important for jobs like freewheel removal.
Old 12-14-20, 05:44 PM
RonInBC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
When I was a young guy and got my first little vice I was thrilled. I'd hit the big time. I had a shop. It's the one now mounted to a heavy pedestal. I mean very heavy. Wouldn't think of bolting it to the floor. Sometimes it gets dragged out to the garage or other locations.

Love having two woodwork vices on the work bench. Very handy sometimes when you can use both at once.

My, hands down, workhorse is my 6" vice bolted to my steel welding table which is bolted to the wall. I use a lot of force sometimes using the vice to bend metal or press things in or out. I put 1" x 1" bar extension jaws on it that give more flexibility for grabbing objects.

To me the vice is an indispensable part of the shop.

Ron

Old 12-14-20, 07:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
When push comes to shove (literally) you will be glad its mounted to a sturdy bench and when you can use it for leverage as well.

If you truly have room and it is secure to the floor, a free standing pedestal can have advantages but you will still often need a bench to work from, on and in conjunction with the vise.
Old 12-14-20, 10:55 PM
The Thin Man 

Originally Posted by merziac
When push comes to shove (literally) you will be glad its mounted to a sturdy bench and when you can use it for leverage as well.
If you truly have room and it is secure to the floor, a free standing pedestal can have advantages but you will still often need a bench to work from, on and in conjunction with the vise.
Thanks to this thread, after about the 12th or so post, it helped solidify my choice to mount my vise on the bench. But, I enjoy the stories and shop shots so why be a buzzkill and stop the fun? Plus, my hope is this in-depth thread helps others out in the future. So, the more information, the better.
Old 12-15-20, 12:09 AM
RonInBC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
There's also an alternative to bolting a pedestal to the floor.

At times I've needed lot's of space to use a tube bender mounted in the vice on my pedestal. I take it out to my garage where I have room to swing a long length of tubing.

I have a 4' x 4' square piece of plywood. I bolt the pedestal to it, quick and easy, and since I'm standing on the plywood and the pedestal is bolted to it I can use lot's of force and it doesn't move.

Ron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.