Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bike hand position - name them

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 12:13 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Let's get down a silly rabbit hole of bike terminology... I know many terms for hand positions on road bars, but there's one grip I don't know what to call.

Let's start with the basics:
  • On the tops: hands on the horizonal bars, like a flat-bar bike, mostly used on climbing
  • On the corners: slight modification of 'on the tops', hands further to the edge of the bars ... where the bars turn forward to the levers. I typically use this for a quick rest to stretch my back or while eating.
  • On the hoods: hands on the brake hoods, the most popular/common position
  • On the hooks: hands on the drops, right at the front to have easy access to the brakes, common position for descending or to get aero for a break away or sprint
  • On the drops: kinda old school since most most modern bars don't have the longer extension to place the hands further back on the drops. On my bikes that have bars that allow this position, it's a nice alternative aero position.
Here's the hand position I'm asking about (first pic). First, this hand position doesn't work with all brake hoods, but most modern brake hoods are designed for this grip. This position offers a way to get shoulders lower (more aero) and shifts the pressure points on your hands. I find myself using this position when riding alone on straight and flat roads (not advisable in a group ride - or only when leading the group).

For contrast, this is the position I refer to as 'on the hoods'. Are both grips still referred to as 'on the hoods'?

Old 01-11-21, 12:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
the pistol grip is a position i use too.
Old 01-11-21, 12:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I do something similar to your top photo, but I'm more on top, palms a little more downward facing, lever knob more in the middle of my palm, and my pinky doesn't hook under the shifter. It's probably a little less secure in terms of bumps, but yeah, I only really do that when I'm in front or by myself on a long, clean stretch of road.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-11-21, 12:31 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Troul
the pistol grip is a position i use too.
Pistol grip ... like that!
Old 01-11-21, 12:34 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I do something similar to your top photo, but I'm more on top, palms a little more downward facing, lever knob more in the middle of my palm, and my pinky doesn't hook under the shifter. It's probably a little less secure in terms of bumps, but yeah, I only really do that when I'm in front or by myself on a long, clean stretch of road.
I think the pros ride the same way (without pinky under the brake lever). Like you said, the pinky helps keep your hands secure if you hit a rough patch. I worked with the team at The Fix Studio a couple years ago on a bike fit, the fitter was adamant that you want to use a finger or two to prevent losing your grip.
Old 01-11-21, 01:13 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I run two fingers on top, two tucked under the levers. Pinky shifts up, ring fingers down. BTW, I am running MicroShift. That may not work on Shimano/Sram.
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 01-11-21, 01:15 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I learned a modified "hands on hoods" position many years ago. I rest the meat of the side of the hand (karate chop) by laying it on where the bar meets the hood, and DON'T wrap my palm or hook my fingers around the hood. The hands rest firmly enough to control the bars, but there's no impingement on the median or ulnar nerves. No grabbing, per se. Light touch.

I grab the hood only when needed (standing, sprinting, shifting or braking). This greatly reduces fatigue.
Old 01-11-21, 01:18 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I use that top position. I would call it maybe Aero-hoods? It's always as you say, stretching out at the front, getting a little more aero than the pistol-grip, but without going into the drops. The next step from Aero-hoods is Invisible Aero-Bars. Which is the not-adviseable-on-public-roads elbows-on-the-tops position that you see pros doing when riding a steady pace on the front.

I don't believe the pinky is necessary. If you're in a riding situation where you think you may need quick access to the brakes, you should probably be in the pistol-grip position anyway. And as you say, lots of hoods nowadays (particularly Campag with their horns-design, but also Shimano and SRAM hydraulic levers with the reservoir up top) have plenty of space up above to get a solid grip on the top of the hood.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 01-11-21, 01:31 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I use a similar position with bent elbows and forearms parallel with the road. Almost like an "invisible aero bar" position, but with palms resting on top of the hoods. Sometimes I turn my palms more to face the ground, and sometimes I keep them more side-facing.
For me, this is just an alternate hand placement when in an aero position. I can move between this and riding in the drops without changing my overall body position. It's harder to "pistol grip" the hoods when your elbows are bent.

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-11-21, 01:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I should add that I have 5 drop-bar bikes, all with different shifters:

90s version of Campi's Ergo shifters - I can't use the pistol grips with this bike
SRAM hydraulic GX - these are very comfortable with the pistol grip
Shimano 105 - these are good with the pistol grip
Old Shimano Microshifters - I can't use the pistol grip with this set up
Gvenalle GX - great with the pistol grip

N+1 coming in '21 will have SRAM eTap - based on the test ride last fall, these hoods are optimized for the pistol grip
Old 01-12-21, 03:14 PM
RICKhudson
Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I more often use a top position by holding the hoods. It gives more aero-pressure to hold and maintain the brake position for a proper grip. Forr me, this is only another hand situation when in an air position. I can move among this and riding in the drops without changing my general body position. It's harder to "single-handed grip" the hoods when your elbows are twisted.
Likes For RICKhudson:
Old 01-13-21, 03:08 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Tops, 'shoulders' (the term I use, don't know if there is another more correct word), hoods, drops, 'transition' (ditto), flats.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: