Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headlight/Tail Light – Steady or Flash?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-13-21, 05:08 PM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

What is your preference?
Old 01-13-21, 05:14 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
to be visible around drivers: Flashing in daytime, steady at night. That is the smartest way to use them.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-13-21, 05:16 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I have my headlight on steady and a tail light on my seat post on steady, and a tail light that blinks on my helmet .
Old 01-13-21, 05:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
hyperpulse, definitely hyperpulse; like when you see a vehicle with those aftermarket LEDs & they didnt address the canbus resistance.
Old 01-13-21, 05:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,010 Times in 3,788 Posts
Headlight steady. Taillight flash.
Old 01-13-21, 05:43 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
What is your preference?
uh...ok....

(backs slowly away from the topic)
Likes For Litespud:
Old 01-13-21, 05:47 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Flash during the day and at dusk while steady at night both front and rear. 100 lumen tail light minimum and 400 lumen headlight. I also have the red blinking light on my helmet from the web cam and I swear that makes people act responsibly because they might end up on Utube or something.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-13-21, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
It shouldn't need to be said over and over but people still don't get it. If you are not an emergency vehicle going to an emergency please use a solid light at the front. Ideally at the rear as well but most especially always at the front. It is extremely dangerous to ride with a flashing light at the front, it dazzles and blinds people and then they cannot see and as a cyclist not being able to see because some jack hole felt the need to flash to make himself have the illusion of more safety while hurting others is just not helpful. Cars don't have flashing lights, motorcycles and scooters don't have flashing lights. Why must we do it?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-14-21, 03:13 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Both. Research suggests that a flashing light draws the attention but a steady light makes it easier to gauge distance. I used to run two lights front and back for that reason but now I have one light for each with a pseudo random flash pattern over a steady light. Probably not quite as good as two lights but a lot less charging required.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 01-14-21, 03:20 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
blinking front and back always
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 01-14-21, 03:44 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Steady for both
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-14-21, 03:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is extremely dangerous to ride with a flashing light at the front, it dazzles and blinds people and then they cannot see and as a cyclist not being able to see ....
This is where people might explain to some other people that if your light is that bright and is aimed at oncoming cars you have a huge problem whether it is flashing or not.

If oncoming drivers are blinded by your light, your light is not aimed down and to the right .... which is where you will be riding your bike, unless you are riding head-on into traffic. If your light is aimed up and left---into the eyes of oncoming drivers---then your light is pretty much worthless to you as a rider and also a hazard to others ... whether it blinks or not. if any rider is dense enough to shine a strobe at oncoming drivers .... Darwin.

So long as your light is aimed at the pavement where you will be actually riding your bike, drivers shouldn't have an issue .... and if you have a strobe so powerful that it blinds drivers in the other lane even though it is pointed away ... then likely it blinds You too, so you won't be able to ride your own bike.

During the day a flashing headlight is definitely more visible, based on my own encounters with cyclists using daytime headlights..

In any case, I find a flashing front light irritating in the dark, because it causes my eyes to have to constantly readjust .... even when paired with a steady beam. I favor a solid beam--or two, depending on speed and conditions---up front and a blinking rear, but as @jgwilliams notes, it is easier for drivers to judge distance from a steady tail light, so ideally I would run both. i don't, and so far no one has killed me .... but two red lights, one flashing and one steady, would seem to be optimal.

(Logically, two flashing rear lights would also be good for judging distance, as the apparently changing relative distance between the lights would give the brain the information it needed about distance closing speed.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-14-21, 03:50 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
In any case, I find a flashing front light irritating in the dark, because it causes my eyes to have to constantly readjust .... even when paired with a steady beam.
Yes, this is true if it really is dark. Most of my commute is on roads that are sufficiently well lit that this isn't an issue for me. But, certainly, if I ride on poorly lit or unlit roads for any length of time I would have to turn the flash off as it can become quite disorientating.
Old 01-14-21, 06:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
. Cars don't have flashing lights, motorcycles and scooters don't have flashing lights. Why must we do it?
Because those guys are trying to kill me.

See also "motorcycle brake light modulator system"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-14-21, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Both. Research suggests that a flashing light draws the attention but a steady light makes it easier to gauge distance. I used to run two lights front and back for that reason but now I have one light for each with a pseudo random flash pattern over a steady light. Probably not quite as good as two lights but a lot less charging required.
Yes, this.

Though I often run a tail light (Cygolite) which has a slow flash -- it lights up and dies down gradually and gently, over a cycle of about two seconds, I would say. Seems like the best of both worlds: kind of steady, kind of flashing, but not flashing hard enough to dazzle motorists.
Old 01-14-21, 07:37 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
steady front, steady back
Old 01-14-21, 07:54 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
During the day: Front and rear blinking

At night: Front: steady on the handlebars and strong steady on my helmet*
Rear: blinking

*As a side note, I love my helmet light when it's dark for a number of reasons.
1. I can point it to what I want to see that might not be immediately in front of me.
2. I can point it into a turn or immediately before a turn to see the terrain of the road or path I'm about to take.
3. It is an extra light in case I want to see something farther ahead of what my handlebar light is focusing on
4. I can use it to alert a driver of my presence in an intersection. I've really seen this work very effectively. I usually shine it at the driver coming into the intersection who wants to make that right on red. I will shake my head (and therefore my light) back and to bring their attention to me. Then after two or three passes, I make sure I remove the shining light from their head to prevent blinding them. I also use this effectively when I'm making a left turn and someone is in the oncoming right lane trying to make a right on red while I'm making my left turn. As I pass, I friendly wave to the driver for giving me the right of way (even when I should have had it in the first place).
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-14-21, 08:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
If you ride with a group, etiquette dictates a steady red at the rear. Optional if you ride alone but a flashing light will give you more battery life. Steady white for the front if you feel the need.
Old 01-14-21, 08:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Day- no light up front most of the time and no light in back a good bit of the time. If they are one, then flash up front and burst flash in back.

Evening- steady light up front and slow pulse in back.

Night- steady light up front and steady in back(most always).

My day rides consist of paved roads and gravel. On the paved roads, I am either on a 4 lane road which makes me 20+ feet away from oncoming traffic, or I am on a side road where there is little to no traffic at all. On gravel, I almost never see an oncoming vehicle. As a result, I dont feel the need/benefit of using a front light. The rare time when I will use one during day rides is if its overcast/hazy so the flash bursts can be seen on gravel roads...for the 3 vehicles oncoming vehicles.

I am way more concerned with approaching vehicles and use a rear light as a result. Luckily around me, oncoming traffic rarely drives into my lane so them seeing me half a mile away isnt a high priority.
Old 01-14-21, 09:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Those optional turn signals that vehicles might come with must really annoy travelers.

Those turn signals would be best to just stay on solid! yarrrrr!
Old 01-14-21, 10:28 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
My headlight blinks at 150 lumen in the day, I run it at 650 lumen steady at night. Tail light is 150 lumen. It flashes during the day, it fades on and off at night. Considering part of my commute is on a highway at night, I would rather fade than do steady. Just trying to get their attention.
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 01-14-21, 10:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Reactive (Varia tail light).
Old 01-14-21, 11:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
The last I looked a flashing front light for motorcycles was illegal in CT. I don't know if that also applies to bicycles but it seems it would. Does anyone know?
Old 01-14-21, 11:01 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
me too both two lights on front and back.
Old 01-14-21, 11:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Because those guys are trying to kill me.

See also "motorcycle brake light modulator system"
So what is a flashing front light going to do? Aside from cause problems for other road users and be a general annoyance. My rear light on my touring bike does have the brake light function and that is fine, that makes sense as other vehicles have that as well and it is practical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.