Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Saver: OK, now what, removing excess

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 01:54 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts

After reading a lot of pros/cons on Frame Saver, and other products, I bought a can. The frames are old, and while I am not a foul-weather cyclist, Maryland's humidity might hurt the bikes. Watched the videos and did one frame of several I am working on. Carefully worked at not straying too much, and rating the frame, etc. Plugged the holes with wadded paper towels per instructions, left the bike to sit per instructions for 24 hours.

Today, hopefully the frame is protected. Alas, some FS leaked past the wadded paper towels (Shoot! I did not use Bounty brand!) and now have a bit of resinous deposit that sits on a some of the bottom bracket threads.

Any idea on what removes this stuff? Been Google'ing the brand and on the back of the can it reads "Echelon Performance Products" but that website seems to be gone, so I cannot ask them. Hopefully someone knows what dissolves this stuff. Or to I have to fabricate thread chasers (this frame is British, but to do my other frames I'd need a set in French, one in Italian, and whatever the Zeus is).

Last edited by tiger1964; 01-28-21 at 01:54 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-28-21, 02:13 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
The MSDS shows the primary ingredient (25-50%) is Aliphatic solvent (wax-based, IIRC): https://problemsolversbike.com/files...ver_SDS_VF.pdf
The secondary and tertiary ingredients (10-25%/ea) are Naphthenic Petroleum Oil and Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent, which I believe is probably what they're using to liquefy the product, allowing you to shoot it out.

If accurate, you'd probably want to use a wax removal product like naptha to liquefy the wax that's hardened there? While I've found PB Blaster is incredibly effective at removing old grease and various buildup, but not sure it'll be effective against wax-based stuff.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not a chemical engineer. Take my words with a grain of salt. You may want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in on this.
EDIT2: Mineral Spirits may also work, it's almost like "naptha lite"

Last edited by francophile; 01-28-21 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-28-21, 02:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
After reading a lot of pros/cons on Frame Saver, and other products, I bought a can. The frames are old, and while I am not a foul-weather cyclist, Maryland's humidity might hurt the bikes. Watched the videos and did one frame of several I am working on. Carefully worked at not straying too much, and rating the frame, etc. Plugged the holes with wadded paper towels per instructions, left the bike to sit per instructions for 24 hours.

Today, hopefully the frame is protected. Alas, some FS leaked past the wadded paper towels (Shoot! I did not use Bounty brand!) and now have a bit of resinous deposit that sits on a some of the bottom bracket threads.

Any idea on what removes this stuff? Been Google'ing the brand and on the back of the can it reads "Echelon Performance Products" but that website seems to be gone, so I cannot ask them. Hopefully someone knows what dissolves this stuff. Or to I have to fabricate thread chasers (this frame is British, but to do my other frames I'd need a set in French, one in Italian, and whatever the Zeus is).
Look up cosmoline, I would be inclined to leave a trace for anti-seize. I also use plumbers internal pipe cleaner brush to clean dirty threads. You can get them at HD.

I only use the chasers on bad threads after I scribe them clean with a right angle pick, which you could also use for this.

Old 01-28-21, 02:47 PM
tiger1964 

Good stuff here, I think!

Originally Posted by francophile
The MSDS shows the primary ingredient (25-50%) is Aliphatic solvent (wax-based, IIRC): https://problemsolversbike.com/files...ver_SDS_VF.pdf The secondary and tertiary ingredients (10-25%/ea) are Naphthenic Petroleum Oil and Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent, which I believe is probably what they're using to liquefy the product, allowing you to shoot it out. If accurate, you'd probably want to use a wax removal product like naptha to liquefy the wax that's hardened there? While I've found PB Blaster is incredibly effective at removing old grease and various buildup, but not sure it'll be effective against wax-based stuff.
EDIT: For the record, I'm not a chemical engineer. Take my words with a grain of salt. You may want to wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in on this.
Well I have both PB Blaster and mineral spirits here. But no naphtha

Originally Posted by merziac
Look up cosmoline, I would be inclined to leave a trace for anti-seize. I also use plumbers internal pipe cleaner brush to clean dirty threads. You can get them at HD. I only use the chasers on bad threads after I scribe them clean with a right angle pick, which you could also use for this.
Well I have both the plumber's brush (glad to take time off from sweating pipe, and work on bikes for a change!) and a very small right-angle pick.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 01-28-21, 02:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The MSDS shows the primary ingredient (25-50%) is Aliphatic solvent (wax-based, IIRC): https://problemsolversbike.com/files...ver_SDS_VF.pdf
The secondary and tertiary ingredients (10-25%/ea) are Naphthenic Petroleum Oil and Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent, which I believe is probably what they're using to liquefy the product, allowing you to shoot it out.

If accurate, you'd probably want to use a wax removal product like naptha to liquefy the wax that's hardened there? While I've found PB Blaster is incredibly effective at removing old grease and various buildup, but not sure it'll be effective against wax-based stuff.

Mineral spirits in Southern California is so neutered now... that and paint thinner, useless.
"Prep-Sol" used to remove wax on car paint prior to refinishing I think would work.
The framesaver appears to work but I have always been a bit leery of it.
Old 01-28-21, 02:51 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Mineral spirits is automotive clearcoat safe, it's safe for nearly all cured paint, I don't see a reason you can't give it a go unless you've got some special case here. Just know it may take a little work and product, it's not as stout as other products.

Old 01-28-21, 02:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Good stuff here, I think!

Well I have both the plumber's brush (glad to take time off from sweating pipe, and work on bikes for a change!) and a very small right-angle pick.
I start from the back and "unscrew" to the front with the pick point angled forward.

You can "rock" your wrist to dig out trouble spots and help straighten threads before chasing for a very good result with less resistance.
Old 01-28-21, 09:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Why not just chase the threads?

Old 01-29-21, 01:26 PM
tiger1964 

Maybe this stuff is not so difficult to deal with as I thought. Under ten minutes with a very small right-angle pick chipped it all out. I guess the pile of shavings added up to a tablespoon. I have not tried threading in anything yet, but I am seeing a lot of "shiny" in there. I did two more frames just now and I am grabbing the last two. By the way, found a couple of fork blades and seat stays without holes to spray anything in; hoping that means rust cannot get in either...

Mineral spirits is automotive clearcoat safe, it's safe for nearly all cured paint, I don't see a reason you can't give it a go unless you've got some special case here. Just know it may take a little work and product, it's not as stout as other products.
Hmm, I wiped down the frames with mineral spirits before wiping down with alcohol, prior to installing decals, to ensure removing any residue on the powder coating. I guess it should have occurred to me "is this safe"?

Originally Posted by gugie
Why not just chase the threads?
Ideally. But, don't have the tools. I have a French tap on loan but with taps and thread chasers being different things, I better not. Could have made chasers via cutting slots in some old BB cups. Again, I'd need at least three different sets.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 01-30-21, 09:12 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'e cleaned the drips from seatstay vents with the 90% alcohol I used to clean my weedpipes.