Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

High visibility gear

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

High visibility gear

Old 02-01-21, 11:05 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I started wearing a yellow construction vest a few years ago. I was working my way down the Pacific coast and felt really unsafe at the lack of space on those roads (I recommend not riding that route). I popped into a work safety shop in Eureka, CA and bought a road crew vest. I've taken to using it regularly. It fits over everything and when I don't feel like wearing it, I can strap it conspicuously on my rear rack, or stuff it out of sight in my handlebar bag.
Old 02-01-21, 11:21 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have one of those. It never occured to me to use it on my bike. The plastic latch for the metal wire that clipped onto the webbing broke, so bought a different strobe for the PFD. The big one was about to be discarded, but I think I will put it in my touring stuff box.

I would not want to use that big strobe unless conditions really warranted it, but I can think of a few times in fog when it would have been nice. For example, you can just barely see my touring partner in front of me in this photo.

This was in Florida Everglades, we were riding towards sunrise trying to get an early start before it got hotter. The sun on the fog really made it hard to see, a bright strobe would have been a good idea.

The cars were really slow due to poor visibility. So it was safer than the photo looks.
USCG life vest strobe zip-tied to rear rack. I used the yellow lens instead of clear.

Old 02-01-21, 11:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
USCG life vest strobe zip-tied to rear rack. I used the yellow lens instead of clear.
Mine is clear. Since they are not aimed, hemisphere is lit up, I would probably just strap it on with a velcro strap on those rare occasions where I might want it. And those occasions are rare, maybe twice a month on trips where I am close to the sea. I quit using mine because it was not waterproof enough, so I would not leave it on the bike. Days like the day below are when I might want to use it:

Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-01-21, 01:51 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I use ANSI yellow shirts/jackets and the brightest taillights I can find. Then I proceed with the assumption that I am still virtually invisible to the usual highly distracted motor vehicle operator.
Old 02-01-21, 02:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Re the Pacific coast. I don't recommend it to inexperienced or day dreamy type riders, as there are sections where one clearly must be on the ball and have competent riding skills, ie holding a very tight line in specific situations and the ability to react quickly.
Use of a good mirror very very helpful.
Old 02-02-21, 05:33 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I try to take notice of cyclists while driving my car and what I see stand out is what I use.

I wear Hi Viz green/yellow vest, lights on front and rear, solid at night, flashing during the day. Reflective stickers on bike, bags, helmet. Most of my panniers are yellow with reflective tape. I want to get a bright green helmet, soon.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 02-02-21, 06:07 PM
Sunwukong

Bikes: Ribble R872, single speed frankencycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I always wear a Hi Viz jersey or jacket. I also always ride a regular training ride, with good, well marked bike lanes. The biggest threat always seems to be clueless drivers pulling out ahead of me, turning right, who never look left. Recently, I started upgrading to the latest in lighting technology, and while I can only make an informal observation, bright, syncopated strobes seem to register in their foggy subconscious, forcing them to look. They seem to drive a little more cautiously too, but probably only because they are more confused than usual.
Old 02-05-21, 08:26 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
From my experience riding in various countries both in daytime as well as night time. YMMV
  1. Bright, non-blinding, steady lights
  2. Bright blinking lights
  3. Bright colored reflective clothing
  4. Bright colored reflective accessories (panniers, triangles etc.)
  5. Dark colored reflective clothing
  6. Bright colored non-reflective clothing
  7. Dark colored non-reflective clothing
Riding in a safe predictable way helps too but there are always idiots on the road who will accidentally or purposefully buzz you.

The list above is especially noticeable in areas where there are lots of road racing bikes riding the same road. Most will not bother with lights and half of them prefer looking cool over being visible. Even a bright white jersey can blend in and disappear if the sun is out and you ride through a lot of patchy shade.
Old 02-05-21, 09:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Mine is clear. Since they are not aimed, hemisphere is lit up, I would probably just strap it on with a velcro strap on those rare occasions where I might want it. And those occasions are rare, maybe twice a month on trips where I am close to the sea. I quit using mine because it was not waterproof enough, so I would not leave it on the bike. Days like the day below are when I might want to use it:

Thanks for the idea.
In your case of dense fog, DEFINITELY a bright strobe!!! ANY aid to make yourself more visible to others (car divers) is a bonus! That 1-3 seconds of extra visual awareness to others could be a life-saver!!
Old 02-06-21, 06:39 AM
djb

And my contribution to foghorn riding
Old 02-06-21, 01:03 PM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wish I could find the study again , but no luck, so take this as internet hearsay.

What they found was that big areas of hi-viz colors had some issues, people tend to think "sign" when they see it and don't expect it to swerve, move, be on the road, or really to be a person. That's one of the reason road workers still get hit.

What they found works better is bright areas on something moving so it stands out more as being something alive that might die if they hit it. So it's better to have the bright colors around the feet, and hands and maybe head.

Lights still were the most effective generally.

::edited::
This might of been the study
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...41931213601954

Last edited by Twang -O- Doom; 02-06-21 at 01:11 PM.
Likes For Twang -O- Doom:
Old 02-06-21, 03:01 PM
djb

Man o man twang, your name just made me think of the film, "Deliverance", which depending on your age, may or may not mean a damn thing to you.
Old 02-07-21, 04:43 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
"Discussion. The finding that fluorescent yellow leggings can provide a dramatic enhancement to bicyclist conspicuity is, we believe, a consequence of highlighting the bicyclist’s pedaling motion. The rhythmic up-down movements of a cyclist’s lower legs uniquely specify a pedaling motion that is visually distinct from, for example, a pedestrian walking or jogging. Further, considerable research has identified that highlighting a cyclist’s biological motion can provide powerful conspicuity enhancements. Thus fluorescent leggings can offer a powerful and low-tech tool for enhancing bicyclists’ daytime conspicuity."

I expect to see all of you wearing them thingies.
https://www.redbubble.com/shop/fluorescent+leggings
Old 02-07-21, 04:55 AM
djb

Originally Posted by BikeLite
I expect to see all of you wearing them thingies.
https://www.redbubble.com/shop/fluorescent+leggings
ya sure, me and Olivia Newton-John riding together while singing a duet of "Let's get physical, physical"
Likes For djb:
Old 02-07-21, 09:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
... , considerable research has identified that highlighting a cyclist’s biological motion can provide powerful conspicuity enhancements. Thus fluorescent leggings can offer a powerful and low-tech tool for enhancing bicyclists’ daytime conspicuity."
When I have been driving a car at night and see people riding bikes in front of me where my headlights light up their pedal reflectors, the up and down motion of both pedals is very noticeable.

For that reason I have put reflective tape on left side crank arms on both sides on most of my bikes, my SPD pedals do not have reflectors and do not have a convenient way to add them. I bought some more tape, but have not gotten to the right side crank arms yet. That said, when touring, panniers would block some of that from being visible from behind or ahead, but I rarely have panniers on a bike after dark.

As far as leggings go, from behind my panniers would be in the line of sight from behind.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-07-21, 09:51 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Yes, I like to be SEEN! A few years ago, I had someone pull out in front of me with less than 50' to spare. Although I was wearing bright color garb and I had a steady headlight, I was still 'unseen' because I can only assume he was looking for a larger vehicle on the 50+mph highway, so now I've added a low-intensity front blinky to the mix -- just to draw the eye, but not blind like a full-power flashing headlight.

My old USCG (Coast guard approved) life vest single-D-cell Xenon strobe that I used on the rear rack finally bit the dust (battery 'exploded' and corroded the innards), so now I have a USB-rechargeable LED blinky on the rear as well... I miss that bright strobe at times... People DID see it!!!
By far the best light I used too. Mine broke after 20 years. Now use more bike specific lights too.
Old 02-07-21, 09:55 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
I live in suburban Philadelphia with generally a good amount of traffic. If not solely on a trail I always wear the brightest clothing I can. It makes a big difference in the clearance cars give me. Also use Cat Eye flashing lights.

Always amused at the ninja dressed roadies with the lightest (and dimmest) lights thinking they are visible.
Old 04-06-23, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
^^^AI-generated post?^^^
Old 04-11-23, 07:24 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
I ride in yellow t-shirt or jacket. Hi-viz vest gets worn in rain, fog, dawn, dusk etc. I put the lights on then too. White helmet makes sense to me too.

In the desert red can be a better choice, so I take a red t-shirt if needs be
Old 04-11-23, 09:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Oh, no. Responding to a ~14-month-old thread. I'll wind up in the group that gets more cavities, f'sure.

...my SPD pedals do not have reflectors and do not have a convenient way to add them.
Rare, but available. Shimano PD-T780

Shrug. Amber reflective tape on the cranks is surely as effective - if your crank profile isn't so 'aero' that there's no good place to stick it.
Old 04-11-23, 07:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I wear a hi-viz neon yellow-green jersey, vest or jacket on every ride depending on weather. I also wear hi-viz socks with reflective threads sewn into the fabric.

I agree with a previous post, it's the cloudy, overcast, foggy or misting days that the hi-viz apparel really shines. On bright sunny days, maybe not so much so. I also wear dark or black shorts to contrast the hi-viz jersey on those sunny days.

I run active lights front and rear and have a rearview Take-a-Look mirror clipped to my sunglasses. The latter makes a HUGE difference. I also affix reflector strips to my helmet and match the color to the helmet's color so I don't look like a total dork.

I probably look like a real Fred to the racing crowd but I don't give a hoot. I lived through those days too. Back then we sneered at hi-viz anything, reflectors, lights, mirrors, valve caps, and way way back we sneered at helmets too. Nobody wanted to be caught dead wearing one of the original Bell helmets.

If wearing hi-viz clothing gives you peace of mind, wear it! Go ride!
Old 04-11-23, 09:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Hi-viz jersey. Also possible to wear a European standard yellow reflective vest or a reflective John Brown belt over anything. Reflective ankle bands really help. And of course bright lights, rear flasher, like 300 lumnens. Riding with others, set it on steady. Flashing lights not allowed in Europe unfortunately.
Old 04-12-23, 05:35 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Yep,no flashing lights. I was "politely " told this by a German police officer!
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 04-12-23, 08:54 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Yep,no flashing lights. I was "politely " told this by a German police officer!
Yep, they do not allow that there. I have a large Busch & Müller rack mounted tail light. It is large, and has a steady light. It is easily seen. I also run a SuperFlash tail light on my seat post. Since I am in the states, and I can, I do set it to flashing during the day, but at night I have it set to steady.
Old 04-16-23, 02:48 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Movement greatly increases the chances of an approaching motorist seeing a bicyclist on the road. The reflector pedals put on less expensive bicycles work incredibly well as they move up and down. There are rear taillights meant for motorcycles that flash along their length and are going to be much more apparent than a single round taillight.

I have a neon green bike jacket made by Pearl Izumi that is very noticeable and not going to blend into the background. The downside is that when touring with ours as I have the higher visibility jacket I ride in the rear and so I am more likely to get hit.

With motorists using cell phones while driving the highways have become far more hazardous for bicyclists and I have changed my routing to go on roads with the least amount of traffic even if it adds many miles on my travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.