Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with a Torelli

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with a Torelli

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 03:49 PM
loudbay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Help with a Torelli

Can anyone help me identify this model???

This would be my first Italian frame, but I’m unsure of the model and so is the owner... By eye, I also think it’s a cm too small, so any input on Torelli fit (seat vs top, etc) would be helpful as well. I do prefer my frames to fit on the smallish side if I had to choose, so I’m remaining hopeful. Campy crank, but Shimano ultegra derailleurs and even lesser shifters. Not sure about calipers yet, if you can identify, please do! I’m not stressed about the price, just trying to do some research on the ‘fun factor’. I don’t race, but love building a new bike, even more than riding sometimes!

Currently My fast bikes are a 853 Lemond Zurich that ‘fits’ but feels big, and just picked up a 86 Team Fuji that is ‘too small’ but I’m just now rebuilding and haven’t actually ridden it yet. I’m really hopeful it feels right because it’s too cool.

Sorry for the sidebar, but what can you pros tell me about this frame?

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by loudbay; 02-14-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 04:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
It’s hard to look at an upside down bike

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-14-21, 05:06 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by cb400bill

Thank you!
Likes For loudbay:
Old 02-14-21, 06:30 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

I have vertigo...for real. Still, it should be a fine ride. Only you can tell.
Old 02-14-21, 06:43 PM
loudbay

Any idea of the model? Usually I'm good at this sort of research, but Torelli doesn't make this easy with this lack of information...
Old 02-14-21, 08:23 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Maybe a Torelli Countach OS with Columbus 'Brain' tubing? Does the Columbus sticker give any info on the tubes used?

Torelli frames where built by Mondonico so the sizing and geometry are classic Italian road bike.
Old 02-14-21, 08:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
It's Nemo tubing, a 90's slightly oversized tubeset related to Nivachrome but not as refined as EL-OS. Different butting parameters. Torelli was a odd duck, I saw a few but they didn't have wide distribution in my neck of the woods.
Old 02-15-21, 12:15 AM
loudbay

Thank you! I think it's a Countach as well. Finally found some brochures, and it shows a 2002 Countach built with Nemo. I see that Nemo is aimed at lighter riders, but I was just 160 pre COVID... I bet I'm right in the range. The owner is going to measure for me tomorrow and if it's 53 or larger, I'll give it a ride. I'm excited to try something a little more square than my LeMond. The LeMond measures 55/56.5 and I was considering switching to a shorter stem (stock is 120 or 130) to compensate for that longer tt length. FINGER CROSSED. And thank you again guys!

Last edited by loudbay; 02-15-21 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 12:58 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
SOME Torelli(s) were made by Mondonico, later production (guessing this being Nemo tubing it is "later") was said to be contract-built by "another". In any case the build quality would be fine (tho AM would be finest) and certainly worth a look. I'd guess this is a 54cm, maybe - a little hard to judge cause of the fastback seat cluster and slight oversized main tubes
Old 02-15-21, 04:07 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
SOME Torelli(s) were made by Mondonico, later production (guessing this being Nemo tubing it is "later") was said to be contract-built by "another". In any case the build quality would be fine (tho AM would be finest) and certainly worth a look. I'd guess this is a 54cm, maybe - a little hard to judge cause of the fastback seat cluster and slight oversized main tubes
Nice to know. My Torelli that I had ordered in 94 was a Mondoico built frame with EL-OS Nivacrom tubing and a chromed fork and chain stay. They had some problems getting the frame to me and I got a 'symapthy' note from Antonio Mondonico on the delay! It was a great handling bike.