Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Was this wheel laced correctly?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Was this wheel laced correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 06:25 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Update: I just dropped the wheel off at the shop. The person who looked at it told me that he wasn’t sure if it was incorrect or not but that they would figure it out and call me back tomorrow
Old 02-17-21, 09:09 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
+1 to not laced correctly & will eventually cause punctures, along with damaged base tape. Before just accepting grinding off the protruding spoke ends, I’d also want to know how much threading is left on the DS spokes before they bottom out and run out of thread. You may eventually need true that wheel or re-tension/re-dish, and I’d want to know there will be some leeway before running out of threads. Also, conventional wisdom says spokes with threading section too far up into the nipples are more prone to breaking.
+1 on everything above. You paid a lot for spokes & labor. Hopefully they'll make it right. They should end at the bottom of the screwdriver slot when fully tensioned.
Old 02-17-21, 10:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Update: I just dropped the wheel off at the shop. The person who looked at it told me that he wasn’t sure if it was incorrect or not but that they would figure it out and call me back tomorrow
That sounds worrisome, not certain I would want to hear it put that way. A few threads sticking out is fine but the number of threads I'd start to worry if the nipples will bottom out of the spoke and I'm guessing its getting close. A wheel like this should have been easy to grab a single length and build to within spec, not like its a hugely offset hub design. Also the number of spokes has zero effect on how a wheel is built until you get to a ridiculously low number of spokes. from my experience 20-40 spoke wheels all build the same, they're all measured the same and the only thing that makes a 40h wheel harder is just the extra time to turn all the spokes. 48 is where it really gets hard but that's only due to having fat fingers. I think when I got it back I would have the spoke tension checked elsewhere. Good luck with this one.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-17-21, 10:23 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Implies there's at least 2 folks working there who aren't qualified to charge you $200 for a wheel build. Methinks 'tis time for a new LBS...
Likes For niliraga:
Old 02-17-21, 11:11 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I would do exactly this.

It would never occur to me to use the same length spokes on the drive side as the non drive side. For this very reason.
It's how I learned to build wheels in a shop... nearly 40 yeas ago. Back then we didn't have elaborate spoke inventories so it was SOP to build a rear wheel with one length of spoke, dish the wheel, then grind off the excess. It wasn't for another 10 years that I started seeing spoke lengths fine-grained enough that you could choose different lengths for drive-side and non-drive-side.

I agree that you should take the wheel back and have it redone.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 02-19-21, 07:40 PM
polymorphself 

Hm, two days later and still no call. Now they’re closed for the weekend. I normally wouldn’t mind but they did say they’d call me the next day.
Old 02-20-21, 01:20 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Here's another good lesson to do the work yourself. Wheel building might sound hard, but it's not. Just use your upside down bicycle frame and follow Sheldon's wheel building page to a "t."

You can build a pretty nice set for $200 and have the skills to maintain it for the dur.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-20-21, 06:43 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The wheel was laced correctly but with spokes that are too long for 2021. I say 'for 2021' because back in the day before spoke cutters and internet calculators and the expectation that life is perfect shops had nifty tools to fix problems like that.

Grind them down. Don't think I ever did this
Use a nipper. Did this often. I used a VAR but as someone above mentioned Hozan makes one
Wack 'em. Line up a screwdriver and wack with a hammer to knock the ends off. I preferred this method as it was much faster
Likes For miamijim:
Old 02-20-21, 01:19 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Wack 'em. Line up a screwdriver and wack with a hammer to knock the ends off. I preferred this method as it was much faster
I've done that plenty of times with larger fastenings that are meant to be permanently installed. Seems like for wheel building it would prevent that spoke from ever loosening, and you would have to go back and grind the burr off if you every had to tighten the spokes. What I'm wondering is if "back in the old days" the ends of spokes where peened down on intently to keep them from unwinding?
Old 02-20-21, 01:40 PM
miamijim

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've done that plenty of times with larger fastenings that are meant to be permanently installed. Seems like for wheel building it would prevent that spoke from ever loosening, and you would have to go back and grind the burr off if you every had to tighten the spokes. What I'm wondering is if "back in the old days" the ends of spokes where peened down on intently to keep them from unwinding?
Surprisingly, 'wacking' them left a nice clean edge and they could still be easily tightened/loosened. Too often, using a nipper, a spoke end would bend versus nipping clean. That sucked. Too do it right you needed the slot to be perpendicular to the nipping direction.

We didn't peen anything....but we did 'crimp' the nipples. What really sucked was over crimping crap nipples to the point they cracked/broke. We didn't do much with 'spoke prep' thread lockers either. And we never used tension gauges. What's the point? If the wheels properly spec'd n built and the gauge says too high/low what are going to do?

The two greatest innovations in the history of wheel building were the welded seam/machined sidewall Mavic rims and 'Mr. Spokey' spoke wrenches.
Old 02-20-21, 01:47 PM
dombey19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
When I was building a lot of wheels (in a previous century), I used the spoke nipper several people have described. I can't imagine that a qualified professional wheel builder would not have one. Yes, you can grind them down, and they should have been ground down, but there are only a handful of tools necessary to build wheels. A spoke nipper is one of them.
Old 02-20-21, 03:00 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I'd just grind 'em. It will be fine. If you don't have a grinder, use a file.
Agreed, but if on my bike, I'd be paranoid about ever turning any spoke in the future to true up, lest the protrusion causing woes. I guess demounting tire, tube and rim tape every time I turned a spoke key is the obvious solution, but...

I'm looking at a set of wheels right now, nice and straight but ONE spoke a wee bit loose -- if I tighten it up, everything must come off as I didn't take a photo to record how much leeway I have.

Old 02-20-21, 04:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
This thread has been educational. I have a wheel here where all the spokes are loose, and none protruding. Instead of giving up on it forthwith, I'll see if it can be saved.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 02-20-21, 09:48 PM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Looking at the picture of how much spoke is protruding, my guess is that there's more than a 1mm error in length.
Back in the day it was very common for OEM wheels to be built with one size spoke, and quite often one size front and back too.
There were various tools to grind or nip excess threads.
What concerns me about that pic is that it looks like more than 1mm protruding. As if they had two spoke sizes but used the wrong spoke on the wrong side of the wheel.
So long as the left side spokes have enough thread engagement to be safe, I'd simply grind or file off the excess threads.

Most spokes are threaded 56tpi, that translates to roughly 2.2 threads per mm. When I look at the pic above I see roughly 4 threads protruding.
If the wheel was built with the proper but equal spoke sizes, with proper dishing, there theoretically should only be roughly 2 spoke threads showing.

A pic showing how much thread is not used in the left side spoke nipples may tell the real story.
Possibly they were built either with the long/short spokes on the wrong side, or there was more than 1mm difference between the two size spokes.
Old 02-21-21, 12:41 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Problem #1 is the shop letting that wheel go out the door in that condition. Use the right length of spokes or grind 'em down, but get those spokes flush with, or a thread or two shorter than, the nipple.

Problem #2 is the person taking the wheel back not recognizing instantly that the wheel was "incorrect" as if there is some sort of debate. The wheel is not usable in that condition unless you like getting flats more or less constantly. This is not a close call.

Problem #3 is not getting a call back when promised. The call should have been timely and should been a discussion about how to remedy the problem, for which I see two viable options: fix it or refund your money. Full stop.

I don't like to bash an LBS, but unless you get a call Monday morning and the result is them fixing the problem by the end of Monday, you should not let them wrench on your bike(s) ever again. They may be okay to buy stuff from, but if they don't back up their work, they can't be trusted to work on your bike.

At least that's how I see it.
Old 02-21-21, 05:52 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
. . .
Problem #2 is the person taking the wheel back not recognizing instantly that the wheel was "incorrect" as if there is some sort of debate. The wheel is not usable in that condition unless you like getting flats more or less constantly. This is not a close call.
. . .
To be clear, "the person taking the wheel back" refers to the shop employee the OP talked to when he brought the wheel back to the shop. I did not mean that the OP was in any way at fault. I wasn't as clear on that as I might have been. My apologies.
Old 02-21-21, 09:15 PM
polymorphself 

For those echoing the sentiment of learning to build them myself, I hear ya! In the years since joining this forum I've learned to handle most of my own bicycle needs and I'm very grateful for it. I will likely dive into wheel building, but my hopes for this wheel set was a quick turn-around with no room for error as I want to get the bike loaded up for a few camping trips as soon as possible. I assumed tackling the build myself would take lots of time and practice and possible result in failure on a trip. But alas...
Old 02-21-21, 10:22 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I've used a Bicycling magazine article by Eric Hjertberg ( Feb. & Mar. 1986) on lacing and truing wheels to build all the wheels I've built so far. As I don't build them often enough to remember from one pair of wheels to the next how to do it I just kept these two issues to guide me through each time and my wheels have always turned out good and have lasted a long time. I recently purchased "Professional Guide to Wheel Building by Roger Musson" which seems really good with more in-depth information and is available as an immediate downloadable pdf. Also, Jim Langley has a YouTube video on lacing & trueing wheels that is very good:
I realize this probably won't help your current problem, especially with the time restraints but you may find it useful in the future if you decide to build or true your own wheels.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 02-22-21, 01:02 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Hobbiano
I've used a Bicycling magazine article by Eric Hjertberg ( Feb. & Mar. 1986) on lacing and truing wheels to build all the wheels I've built so far.
Will definitely bookmark this, thanks!

Just got a voicemail that the wheel is done. Will be picking up later today. Going to ask if they grinded or re-laced.
Old 02-22-21, 01:17 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts
Will definitely bookmark this, thanks!

Just got a voicemail that the wheel is done. Will be picking up later today. Going to ask if they grinded or re-laced.
If they used a grinder you may see evidence on the nipple tops. If so, make sure to check for damage to the rim from their grinder slipping.
Likes For daverup:
Old 02-22-21, 05:48 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
If they used a grinder you may see evidence on the nipple tops. If so, make sure to check for damage to the rim from their grinder slipping.
It's also pretty easy to take half (or more) the nipple head off with a slip.
Old 02-23-21, 03:31 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'd venture to guess they got the indexing off one hole when they started the 2nd set.
That will result in alternating spokes being too long.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-23-21, 02:55 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'd venture to guess they got the indexing off one hole when they started the 2nd set.
That will result in alternating spokes being too long.
That is a good point. When they completed spoking the one flange, and started on the other flange, it is critical that the starting hole on the second flange is correct. If you are off, this will be the result. It is likely that they picked the wrong spoke hole on the second flange.

This is an indication that the wheelbuilder is not that experienced. Of course, the other telling factor that they were not experienced is that they somehow competed the job with the spokes sticking way out of the nipples.

If this is the case, let's hope that they don't just cut or grind the spokes down and find the root cause of this issue and correct that second side flange spoking.
Old 02-23-21, 03:02 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That is a good point. When they completed spoking the one flange, and started on the other flange, it is critical that the starting hole on the second flange is correct. If you are off, this will be the result. It is likely that they picked the wrong spoke hole on the second flange.

This is an indication that the wheelbuilder is not that experienced. Of course, the other telling factor that they were not experienced is that they somehow competed the job with the spokes sticking way out of the nipples.

If this is the case, let's hope that they don't just cut or grind the spokes down and find the root cause of this issue and correct that second side flange spoking.
In response to another wheel lacing thread, just checked to see how far past the nipple top a DT spoke would go. Looks like with a DT spoke and DT nipple fully threaded that the spoke might extend about .5 to 1mm. I think the person who laced that wheel might have been a spoke wrench gorilla. Don't think I could cut that much thread with a wimpy spoke wrench.
Old 02-23-21, 03:15 PM
polymorphself 

I picked up the wheel. They grinded the spokes down and they seem to be an OK length now. That being said, almost the entire length of the rim is scratched now and I assume it’s from the grinder. This is annoying but purely cosmetic and of course not somethin to that can be seen so I’m over it. Likely won’t be going back for anything other than item purchases though, if even.

Any worrisome last minute things I should check for before mounting these?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.