Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing a seatpost.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Choosing a seatpost.

Old 02-24-21, 01:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Dual position, 2 bolt.
Infinitly adjustable tilt. Oval internal hollow in the Kalloy style which saves gobs of weight. On one bike I hacked off a few inches off to leave 110mm insertion & saved weight over the OEM carbon SLK with indexed tilt that I could never get quite right.

...Oh, & now I can ride for hours in the drops or choose aero bars if I want to.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-24-21, 01:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by samr1953
I see plain non-suspension seatposts ranging from $20 to $275. What could possibly explain this gap? What are the factors to consider when shopping seatposts?
The main factor is how eccentric and idiocentric the target demographic is.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-24-21, 01:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The main factor is how eccentric and idiocentric the target demographic is.
Assuming you meant idiosyncratic, and yes!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-24-21, 01:36 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Two bolt is the way to go. If you don't need carbon, Thomson posts are some of the best around.
When would you not need a carbon seatpost? Any time you have more than a few inches of seat post showing, carbon is the way to go because of better shock absorption.
Old 02-24-21, 03:42 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
My bike with the Campy post was stolen about five years ago, and I was incredibly frustrated by posts with clicks where my preferred adjustment was right between clicks until I got my new Trek, which came with a really nice two-bolt infinite adjustment post. The ones with clicks weren't really better than the stamped steel POS that came with my first Sears bike in 1960, just fancier. I don't understand how they can sell one-bolt posts with serrated adjustments except that maybe people don't know any better because they haven't been able to find a nice one with infinite adjustment.
Old 02-24-21, 05:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Neither of my two bolt seat posts work like that.
Both my Thomson and Kalloy seatposts work that way. I didn't know there were so many designs! They look like this:
Old 02-24-21, 05:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Both my Thomson and Kalloy seatposts work that way. I didn't know there were so many designs! They look like this:
That one does not look like it can adjust fore/aft and tilt independently. It’s a one-piece top clamp with bolts on either side. It’ll micro-adjust, but I do not see how it could hold the rails while tilt is adjusted or hold tilt while fore/aft is adjusted.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-25-21, 10:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That one does not look like it can adjust fore/aft and tilt independently. It’s a one-piece top clamp with bolts on either side. It’ll micro-adjust, but I do not see how it could hold the rails while tilt is adjusted or hold tilt while fore/aft is adjusted.
The bolts are actually front and rear. To adjust the tilt down in front, loosen the rear bolt 1/2-1 turn, then tighten the forward bolt. Reverse the direction to raise the nose. You haven't loosened the clamp enough for the fore-aft adjustment to slip. If you want to adjust fore-aft, loosen either bolt enough for the saddle to move, locate the saddle where you want it on the clamp, and tighten the same bolt -- tilt will return to the same place it started.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-25-21, 11:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by pdlamb
The bolts are actually front and rear. To adjust the tilt down in front, loosen the rear bolt 1/2-1 turn, then tighten the forward bolt. Reverse the direction to raise the nose. You haven't loosened the clamp enough for the fore-aft adjustment to slip. If you want to adjust fore-aft, loosen either bolt enough for the saddle to move, locate the saddle where you want it on the clamp, and tighten the same bolt -- tilt will return to the same place it started.
Right, but that is not 2-bolt independent tilt and fore/aft adjustment. That’s a good 2-bolt micro-adjusting system.

I’m sure you understand the difference, but for reference, if we go back and look and look at the Forte post linked above, we can see one of the bolts controls only tilt, and the other bolt controls rail clamping (fore/aft), allowing independent adjustment of either.
Old 02-25-21, 01:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by samr1953
Thanks. What is the functional difference between one-bolt and two-bolt?
Adjustments are easier with 2 bolt. 2 bolt makes micro adjustments of saddle tilt a lot easier, and also makes it easier to loosen the clamp enough to slide the saddle fore-aft without accidentally altering the tilt.

Also SOME 1 bolts don’t let you make miro adjustments to the tilt but rather have notches on the tilt adjust that you need to choose between.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-25-21, 02:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Adjustments are easier with SOME 2 bolt. SOME 2 bolt makes micro adjustments of saddle tilt a lot easier, and also makes it easier to loosen the clamp enough to slide the saddle fore-aft without accidentally altering the tilt.

Also SOME 1 bolts don’t let you make miro adjustments to the tilt but rather have notches on the tilt adjust that you need to choose between.
FIFY.

In my experience, 2-bolt designs like those found on FSA SL-K or Ritchey Classic (both of which I’ve owned or still do) do not make adjustments— either macro or micro— any easier, but I believe they spread the clamping force over a bigger area and grip the saddle rails very securely.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-25-21, 02:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
adjustments are easier with most 2 bolt. most 2 bolt makes micro adjustments of saddle tilt a lot easier, and also makes it easier to loosen the clamp enough to slide the saddle fore-aft without accidentally altering the tilt.

Also some 1 bolts don’t let you make miro adjustments to the tilt but rather have notches on the tilt adjust that you need to choose between.

Fify.
fify

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-25-21 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 04:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I like the Fizik design fwiw. I guess you could call it 2-bolt (?) though one which adjusts the tilt amount is a thumbwheel, so you only need to use an allen on one bolt. Nice long platform that's easy on the rails and compatible with oval or round rails.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-25-21, 05:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
I prefer two-bolt saddle posts.