Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Future Shock 2.0 Owners and Users

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 11:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

How do you like the 2.0 FS? More beneficial than the 1.0 or 1.5? I'd imagine with the adjusting knob, having the ability to "lock out" really comes in handy. Other than that, what would you say you adjust for the most? In what situations do you feel it's the most useful, and what have you learned and experienced with it that's been most beneficial?
Old 03-08-21, 03:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
How do you like the 2.0 FS? More beneficial than the 1.0 or 1.5? I'd imagine with the adjusting knob, having the ability to "lock out" really comes in handy. Other than that, what would you say you adjust for the most? In what situations do you feel it's the most useful, and what have you learned and experienced with it that's been most beneficial?
Not sure how useful to you my experience might be, but fwiw my bike came with FS 1.0; it was defective out of the box, and Spec. warrantied it with 2.0 in September '19.

Both do what's claimed on the tin: dampen and take the jolt out of 'sharp-edged' road imperfections, and decrease general road noise. The 2.0 does it a little more effectively, in my experience, and much more smoothly/quietly, I suspect mainly because of the hydraulic damping -- and possibly some tolerance improvements.

The adjustment/lockout works very well, but after playing around with it initially I now never use it. I just leave the thing wide open. In my cycling -- old man; ride alone at my own pace; lots of distance/climbing -- I don't notice any downside when climbing standing out of the saddle, and any miniscule gains there might be for 'sprinting' efficiency are of no concern to me, though of course they may well be to others.

tl;dr -- I'd have been just fine with a FS 1.5 replacement, but I'm glad to have the 2.0. If nothing else, it looks cool! That aside, FS does exactly what I hoped it would do when I decided to buy the bike in the first place.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-08-21, 04:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I upgraded my S Works Roubaix to the 2.0 version and do like the lockout as well as the dampening seams more progressive.
Old 03-08-21, 04:24 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
There is a Specialized Roubaix Facebook group and most people that have the 2.0 end up keeping it open most of the time. I think locking it out would only happen if your racing. I have the 1.5 and I actually like having the Future Shock when I'm standing up on a climb because it gives you more rhythym.
Old 03-08-21, 07:53 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
There is also a good long-term review on Youtube by Bikeradar, same thing he keeps it open all the time. So I’m not feeling too sad with only 1.5.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...g-term-review/
Old 03-08-21, 10:04 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I upgraded my S Works Roubaix to the 2.0 version and do like the lockout as well as the dampening seams more progressive.
Originally Posted by Sojodave
There is a Specialized Roubaix Facebook group and most people that have the 2.0 end up keeping it open most of the time. I think locking it out would only happen if your racing. I have the 1.5 and I actually like having the Future Shock when I'm standing up on a climb because it gives you more rhythym.
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
There is also a good long-term review on Youtube by Bikeradar, same thing he keeps it open all the time. So I’m not feeling too sad with only 1.5.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...g-term-review/
Do you guys think the 2.0 wide open is the equivalent to the softest spring with the 1.5? Do you want the 2.0 wide open (or softest) on the roughest or bumpiest terrain, or do you need it stiffer?
Old 03-09-21, 07:02 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
I run my 2.0 one notch from wide open almost all the time. Seems slightly stiffer than the firm spring on the 1.0 to me. I do like to lock it out if I know I’m going to be out of the saddle for a climb. Then I unlock it again a few miles later as I invariably forget about it after the climb.