Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 09:11 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I think the value of easily prepared and calculated food supplies is inverse to the availability of stores or cafes along the route. If I'm riding a road with stores I carry one days worth of food, just in case it's a Sunday or holiday or something. For a week off the grid I'm more in the known quantity camp. Rather than buying individual packets of stuff I usually buy regular size and break it down.

Not exactly no cook but oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes, couscous, instant ramen type noodles with vegetables, and other dehydrated stuff only needs hot water to reinflate. Drinks are tea, instant coffee, hot apple cider crystals and hot chocolate. In a pinch it can even be cold water and a longer wait time. I put each serving (not the drinks) in a sandwich bag (good quality) and roll tight. This allows the most compact packing size with no wasted space and I can map out all the meals ahead of time. Bonus points for eating out of the sandwich baggie and never having to wash dishes other than the cup as hot water is the only thing in the pot.

Garlic mashed potatoes and lemon couscous for the win!
I did basically the same. I had food I could make each day. No need to carry more, really. Of course I had the jar of peanut butter, and a pack of tortillas as well. I don't mind cooking, or rather, heating up food each night. It is nice to have a nice hot meal, even if it is ramen noodles. The beef stew became my favorite though. It really hit the spot after riding all day. I was shocked at how little I found along my route on the last tour. Literally nothing many days, from the time I left, to the time I got near a campground. That was Northern Indiana. It got better once I got more into Ohio.

Oatmeal is a great idea. As for coffee, I always have it with me. I use a Bodum combination French press/travel mug. It makes great coffee, and it keeps it hot for a long time.
Old 03-17-21, 08:40 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Not long ago there was a poll here, or on a similar site, asking about the preference of processed powders vs real food. It was overwhelmingly in favor of real food. I remember feeling both pleased and surprised. I don't understand willingly ingesting the highly processed "food" products, certainly not if better options are available. I understand the need for preservation for long times in packs.

But the photo above of the meat and greasy eggs turned my stomach. I've been vegetarian for nearly 40 years, vegan for over a decade, seriously plant-based real food for the last five years. Potatoes and couscous look much better!
Old 03-17-21, 11:11 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by andrewclaus

But the photo above of the meat and greasy eggs turned my stomach. I've been vegetarian for nearly 40 years, vegan for over a decade, seriously plant-based real food for the last five years. Potatoes and couscous look much better!
To you.
Old 03-17-21, 07:53 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Cold Soak Oatmeal: (about 550 calories)
8oz Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup oatmeal (not the instant)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup dehydrated blueberries

Shake it all up the night before and eat it with a spoon the next morning. It is delicious and has the consistency of tapioca pudding. Honestly, I've done this and put it in the frig the night before, but I've never left it out at room temperature all night. I wouldn't worry about it spoiling in 6-8 hours, but I think I would still like it not cold.
Old 03-18-21, 04:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
The next time I get to a “big box” grocery store I’m going to try to remember to pick up some Spam just for old times’ sake.

Another thing I remember from my childhood is Underwood Deviled Ham.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-21, 05:35 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Cold Soak Oatmeal.
Okay, I’m going to take one for the team. This evening I will prepare cold oatmeal with soya milk, then tomorrow will mix powdered Nescafe in it for the ultimate cold breakfast experience!

I will report back, but my hopes for a Michelin star are not high 😜
Likes For imi:
Old 03-18-21, 08:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
wow..another blast from the past..forgot all about that stuff in the tiny cans. Hard tellin what it is/was, but as a kid..it was something special.
Old 03-18-21, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by fishboat
wow..another blast from the past..forgot all about that stuff in the tiny cans. Hard tellin what it is/was, but as a kid..it was something special.
From the current website:

Ingredients

Ham (Cured With Water, Salt, Brown Sugar, Sodium Nitrite) and Seasoning (Mustard Flour, Spices, Turmeric).Product formulation and packaging may change. Please refer to the product label for the most accurate information.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-21, 10:26 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
The next time I get to a “big box” grocery store I’m going to try to remember to pick up some Spam just for old times’ sake.
I did the same the other day and picked up a can of Spam Lite with less fat and sodium. Went home, removed it from the can and tried a small amount without cooking. If it were the only food source available and I needed it to survive, then maybe I would continue to consume it but otherwise....Nope. So I fried up some thin slices and placed within a soft tortilla and had lunch. It was much better but still rather salty and this supposedly with 1/3 less sodium than Classic Spam.
I could make it work if fried but it won't be eliminating any of my normal food stuffs that I generally take on tour.
Old 03-18-21, 10:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I did the same the other day and picked up a can of Spam Lite with less fat and sodium. Went home, removed it from the can and tried a small amount without cooking. If it were the only food source available and I needed it to survive, then maybe I would continue to consume it but otherwise....Nope. So I fried up some thin slices and placed within a soft tortilla and had lunch. It was much better but still rather salty and this supposedly with 1/3 less sodium than Classic Spam.
I could make it work if fried but it won't be eliminating any of my normal food stuffs that I generally take on tour.
I prefer to dice it up and add to soup or a pasta meal. For solo camping I find the small packets quite easy to use,

I do not think I have eaten it any other way for over half a century, but have often added it to soups or pasta.
Old 03-18-21, 10:53 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I prefer to dice it up and add to soup or a pasta meal. For solo camping I find the small packets quite easy to use
I think that's the ticket, diced and added to pasta, rice, ramen or a soup
Old 03-18-21, 11:15 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
To you.
Funny story about that sort of thing...

A friend and I would often do breakfast on the ferry on our way to scuba diving in Namaimo. He was into keto and I am a vegetarian. I would order extra meat and give all that to him and he would give me all his toast and hashbrowns. Win - win! This would draw laughs from the rest of the table.

Cold Soak Oatmeal: (about 550 calories)
8oz Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup oatmeal (not the instant)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup dehydrated blueberries
This is sort of what I do with my prepacked oatmeal for the road (instant though).
1/2 Cup oatmeal
1/2 Scoop Protein powder
1 Tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 Cup raisins or dried cranberries.
Add hot water and pack up camp while it expands.

Bonus points for biting a hole in the bag and eating it like piping icing out of a pastry bag. No dish or spoon to wash up!

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-18-21 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-18-21, 07:50 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Okay, I’m going to take one for the team. This evening I will prepare cold oatmeal with soya milk, then tomorrow will mix powdered Nescafe in it for the ultimate cold breakfast experience!

I will report back, but my hopes for a Michelin star are not high 😜
So you're adding instant coffee (Nescafe) to the cold soak oatmeal? I don't know about that, but have fun!
Old 03-19-21, 08:04 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
So you're adding instant coffee (Nescafe) to the cold soak oatmeal? I don't know about that, but have fun!
Yes, I got the idea from someone else on here a few years ago, but never got round to trying it.
Originally the idea was hot oatmeal and nescafe mixed, but cold is probably even worse. I forgot about it last night (suppressed?) but will summon up the courage tomorrow.

The ”gain” is not having to heat up as much water, not needing a mug, and less washing up.

First I’ll go hardcore and just use water, then mix in sojamilk, banana and trailmix for the gourmet version.

Last edited by imi; 03-19-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 01:56 PM
phughes

I was remembering Underwood Deviled Ham as well. We always had that at home. I haven't had it since. I should pick some up. I can still remember the taste.
Old 03-19-21, 03:33 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Yes, I got the idea from someone else on here a few years ago, but never got round to trying it.
Originally the idea was hot oatmeal and nescafe mixed, but cold is probably even worse. I forgot about it last night (suppressed?) but will summon up the courage tomorrow.

The ”gain” is not having to heat up as much water, not needing a mug, and less washing up.

First I’ll go hardcore and just use water, then mix in sojamilk, banana and trailmix for the gourmet version.
I've been eating rolled oats with nuts and fruit for breakfast for about forty years now. I can't stand cooked rolled oats, but love them in cold water--nutty and tasty, not gooey, no clean-up. Rolled oats are actually cooked (parched) already in processing and don't need any more cooking to be digestable.

For years I insisted on milk with the oats, which often meant problems finding powdered milk in small town markets, and that stuff tastes bad anyway. Then a vegan I met convinced me to try oats in water, and now I'm a vegan and can't imagine buying milk again.

I'd recommend "old fashioned" rolled rather than instant grind, and if possible get organic. Don't try cold-soaking steel cut oats.

I've never had a problem finding a box of rolled oats, a bag of walnuts, and a box of raisins in small town grocery stores. Easy nutritious no-cook meal anytime, not just breakfast. Caution--some people have an issue with the fiber, if eaten more than once a day.
Old 03-19-21, 03:56 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
I was remembering Underwood Deviled Ham as well. We always had that at home. I haven't had it since. I should pick some up. I can still remember the taste.
My mom used to mix it with mayonnaise and relish and make sandwiches on white bread. I can also remember the taste. I bought a can in the 90s to remind me of part of my childhood.

A large grocery store opened today 5 blocks from my office and a short drive from my house. I scoped it out today but forgot to look for Spam and deviled ham. I sense a visit on Sunday.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-21, 04:43 PM
Happy Feet

I've been eating rolled oats with nuts and fruit for breakfast for about forty years now. I can't stand cooked rolled oats, but love them in cold water--nutty and tasty, not gooey, no clean-up. Rolled oats are actually cooked (parched) already in processing and don't need any more cooking to be digestable.

For years I insisted on milk with the oats, which often meant problems finding powdered milk in small town markets, and that stuff tastes bad anyway. Then a vegan I met convinced me to try oats in water, and now I'm a vegan and can't imagine buying milk again.

I'd recommend "old fashioned" rolled rather than instant grind, and if possible get organic. Don't try cold-soaking steel cut oats.

I've never had a problem finding a box of rolled oats, a bag of walnuts, and a box of raisins in small town grocery stores. Easy nutritious no-cook meal anytime, not just breakfast. Caution--some people have an issue with the fiber, if eaten more than once a day.
Everyone is different. I ate nothing but oatmeal for a week and had no "fiber related" issues 🙃

For most of my life I had to eat oatmeal topped with milk and brown sugar- that's how we ate it as kids. After my egg experiment I gave up sugar and substituted plain yogurt instead of milk. That was good. Now, more often than not, I eat it with nothing or with just a dash of cinnamon. The evolution of oatmeal.

Steel cut oats are fine but need to soak over night. They have a nutty crunchy texture but I am usually too lazy for that amount of forethought and just go instant. Camping I boil a large cup of water and split it between oatmeal and coffee.

Just remembered, seeing as this is a non cooking thread. Starbucks has Via cold coffee packets that taste ok for times when boiling water is even too much. I've used them when I need a caffeine boost on the road by keeping one water bottle for the purpose. Add packet to water, shake, drink as required.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-19-21, 08:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I really can't stand the taste of oatmeal, or the texture. Add to that, I need to eat a low carb diet and oatmeal is almost all carbs.

But, I mix in one packet of instant steel cut oatmeat with one serving of Mountain House Breakfast Skillet freeze dried breakfast, in that case the Mountain House provides the flavour, fat and protien while the extra packet of oatmeal is a calorie booster without making the meal too high in carbs.

The "original" flavor does not have all the sugars that some of you might prefer, but I can't handle all the sugars.
https://www.target.com/p/better-oats...z/-/A-53246704

The topic of non-cook, I am not sure if adding boiling water counts as non-cook, but this is the oatmeal and Mountain House freeze dried mix I like for breakfast.

Unfortunately Mountain House no longer makes the 24 ounce cans of Breakfast Skillet, now they are 15 ounce cans and cost twice as much. So, once my few remaining cans are gone, not sure what I will eat. But I am not going to pay over $50 USD per pound for the new packaging for Breakfast Skillet.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-20-21, 11:28 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
What REALLY surprises me is that nobody in 94 previous posts has brought up MREs. Yep, military food.

They come in all sorts of meal type varieties. No refrigeration required. Sealed for long-term storage. They are fully cooked, so may be eaten cold, but generally taste better warmed (water-activated MRE heaters included with some brands). 5-year shelf life.
Old 03-20-21, 12:15 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I really can't stand the taste of oatmeal, or the texture. Add to that, I need to eat a low carb diet and oatmeal is almost all carbs.

But, I mix in one packet of instant steel cut oatmeat with one serving of Mountain House Breakfast Skillet freeze dried breakfast, in that case the Mountain House provides the flavour, fat and protien while the extra packet of oatmeal is a calorie booster without making the meal too high in carbs.

The "original" flavor does not have all the sugars that some of you might prefer, but I can't handle all the sugars.
https://www.target.com/p/better-oats...z/-/A-53246704

The topic of non-cook, I am not sure if adding boiling water counts as non-cook, but this is the oatmeal and Mountain House freeze dried mix I like for breakfast.

Unfortunately Mountain House no longer makes the 24 ounce cans of Breakfast Skillet, now they are 15 ounce cans and cost twice as much. So, once my few remaining cans are gone, not sure what I will eat. But I am not going to pay over $50 USD per pound for the new packaging for Breakfast Skillet.
That looks like a very hearty breakfast. Plenty of energy packed in that. Nice.
Old 03-20-21, 12:17 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
What REALLY surprises me is that nobody in 94 previous posts has brought up MREs. Yep, military food.

They come in all sorts of meal type varieties. No refrigeration required. Sealed for long-term storage. They are fully cooked, so may be eaten cold, but generally taste better warmed (water-activated MRE heaters included with some brands). 5-year shelf life.
For me, they are like the protein bars I said I carried, for a short time, on a tour. They take up too much space, and weight. I would hate to carry enough to use on a tour. It isn't like you can simply stop in a store, and buy a day's supply. Couple that with the fact I don't know any military friend who actually likes eating them.
Old 03-20-21, 01:05 PM
Happy Feet

I joined army cadets at 12 1/2 and ate rations nearly every weekend for 5 years. Those were the older canned variety but could still be eaten cold. I hated cooking even then (on the little sterno cubes and folded aluminum provided). I would trade my cooked bacon with the white globs of fat for peanut butter in a tin and then later a toothpaste tube!

Every ration had a can opener and by the end I had hundreds of them.

I'm pretty sure that experience shaped my outdoor culinary outlook.
Old 03-20-21, 01:56 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
re oatmeal and variants, well I am a simple eater, in fact in a lot of ways I'm simply a simpleton, because believe it or not, just about every morning I eat oatmeal for breakfast.
Great to have a warm meal in the mornings and for some reason, I don't get tired of it (comes back to the simpleton part I guess)

fruit or whatever into it and I'm a happy camper, even if I aint camping.

a bag of rolled oats (not the quick cook ones) and some yogurt and or any or all fruit or whatever makes an easy bike trip breakfast.
Old 03-20-21, 06:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Yeah, I know this thread is for non-cooking meals, but ... ...

The baked potatoes are in the aluminum foil wrap in the bottom part of the photo where they are sitting on some of the coals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.