Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Michelin Power Road Review

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-24-21, 05:26 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

OK, this review will be mercifully brief. After 1,250 miles no cuts, no flats, no issues at all. The front tire is only about 25% worn, the rear about 75% worn (guesstimate based on TWI).

I'm running 700 x 28 size tubed tires mounted on Fulcrum Racing 3db rims, which are stock with no mods. The bike is a Specialized Roubaix, 2017. I'm an average rider who weighs about 175 pounds, so there was no "racing" stress put on the tires. Riding has been a mix of moderately hilly and flat (SW Florida since January).

Ride and handling are top notch. Riding over course pavement did not transmit high vibrations to the bars. Cornering and grip were also really nice in both wet and dry conditions. If you're looking for a tire that's more durable than the Conti 5000 but still a nice ride, this is a good choice.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-24-21, 05:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
After 1,250 miles no cuts, no flats, no issues at all. The front tire is only about 25% worn, the rear about 75% worn (guesstimate based on TWI).
Oof - that's disappointing. I recently installed the TLR version and was hoping for better mileage out of them.
Old 03-24-21, 05:44 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oof - that's disappointing. I recently installed the TLR version and was hoping for better mileage out of them.
That's actually good mileage for me. My last pair of Contis, the GP 4000s, only lasted about 1100 miles on the rear tire. I'm guessing I'll get about 1,500 miles on the rear tire on the Michelins. I have a spare I'll install when needed. As far as the RR difference between this and the GP 5000, well, I don't ride fast enough to worry about that.

Old 03-24-21, 06:05 PM
WhyFi

That's actually good mileage for me. My last pair of Contis, the GP 4000s, only lasted about 1100 miles on the rear tire. I'm guessing I'll get about 1,500 miles on the rear tire on the Michelins. I have a spare I'll install when needed. As far as the RR difference between this and the GP 5000, well, I don't ride fast enough to worry about that.

My most recent tires, tubeless Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix, got about 2500-3000 per rear tire and were a little more supple than the Power Road TLRs, so I was really hoping the Michelin would be significantly better in terms of mileage. As far as RR, they're all pretty fast, fast enough for me to not worry about it, at least.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-24-21, 07:28 PM
dmanthree

My most recent tires, tubeless Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix, got about 2500-3000 per rear tire and were a little more supple than the Power Road TLRs, so I was really hoping the Michelin would be significantly better in terms of mileage. As far as RR, they're all pretty fast, fast enough for me to not worry about it, at least.
Not sure why, but I usually get less life than normal out of the rear tire. Weight? Riding style? Who knows. Anyway, the Michelins are working for me.
Old 03-24-21, 07:44 PM
WhyFi

Not sure why, but I usually get less life than normal out of the rear tire. Weight? Riding style? Who knows. Anyway, the Michelins are working for me.
Less than out of the front? Yes, that's as it should be. From the sounds of it, I weigh slightly more than you and ride more aggressively, so you should be getting better mileage than me.

Then again, I'm not afraid to run tires beyond the TWI and keep going until cords start to show.
Old 03-24-21, 07:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,924 Times in 4,665 Posts

Please explain your riding parameters: weight, psi, terrain, etc. Because 1500 out of a 28mm rear tire is godawful mileage for anything but an uber-light race tire.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-24-21, 07:49 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Koyote
Please explain your riding parameters: weight, psi, terrain, etc. Because 1500 out of a 28mm rear tire is godawful mileage for anything but an uber-light race tire.
175#, 90+ PSI, decent roads with hills half the year, flats the other half, warm weather, lots of grinding going up hills.

FWIW, I've NEVER been able to get good mileage out of a rear tire. Must be me. OK, except for those Conti GP 4 Seasons I ride in bad weather. Those damned things last forever.
Old 03-24-21, 09:31 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
OK, this review will be mercifully brief. After 1,250 miles no cuts, no flats, no issues at all. The front tire is only about 25% worn, the rear about 75% worn (guesstimate based on TWI).
Oi. That's just over 2,000k. I aim to get at least 5,000k out my tyres. I recently had a sidewall gash that ended the life of my rear tyre at 3,400km and I'm feeling let down.

Here's hoping the distance you're seeing/experiencing is an anomaly.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 03-25-21, 06:03 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Could be braking style? If you regularly use the rear brake, that could explain it. I personally don't use the rear brake much at all.
Old 03-25-21, 07:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Could be braking style? If you regularly use the rear brake, that could explain it. I personally don't use the rear brake much at all.
Rear tire will always wear out first because of the weight distribution. It is the same thing on a motorcycle. Buy 3 tires, it'll save you some hassle!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-25-21, 01:49 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by smashndash
Not likely. I brake using both front and rear, and never "drag" the rear wheel. Honestly, I get this response a bit when I tell them how quickly I go through rear tires.
Old 03-25-21, 01:50 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by eduskator
Rear tire will always wear out first because of the weight distribution. It is the same thing on a motorcycle. Buy 3 tires, it'll save you some hassle!
I didn't this time because this was a new tire for me, and I wanted to find out if I liked them or not. I did buy a third tire after about 500 miles since I really like them and wanted a spare in case I sliced one of them. But so far the worst I've seen is a "rub" on the rear tire that's showing some cord. Not worried about it, though.
Old 03-25-21, 01:59 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I've got a little over 2000 miles on my current Power Competitions and the rear is starting to get squared-off, but it's got plenty of life left. I'm a bit heavier than the OP and run correspondingly higher pressures, so as the saying goes YMMV. Echo all of the sentiments about the tires quality-wise though
Old 03-25-21, 02:24 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah... mileage on parts on bikes really doesn't do anything for me. On all components it's so different. Personal variables, terrain, weight, riding style, etc. Then to top it all off there's the je ne sais quoi - the variable that no one can explain. Like the mystery variable that leads some people to get more flats than anyone else in their group even with the same tires, pressure, weight, etc.

All mileages with regard to performance, should be given in "less than, about the same, more than, around twice more" terms when comparing to previous use.

In this case the OP could have said "At this point I have enough wear to imply I might get between 35-40% more wear out of these than I do out of Conti 4000's ...YMMV" but what fun would that be. It's way more interesting to argue about minutia over the internet.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-25-21, 02:28 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Weird, I've used Conti for my "nice" riding for 5 years. First the 4000's and now the 5000's. I'm conservative when I change my tires and change them out at around 2,500 miles and there was life in them according to the Conti tread marks they put on their tires. I tried some Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for my commuting tires when living over in the UK, but went back to Panaracer Gravel Kings which are my 2nd favorite tire after the Conti's.

I ride only road, weigh 230lbs and ride a mix of hills, some races (mostly crits) rolling hills and some miles on MUP's too.

I know Shane Miller did a review of his Conti 5000's and was at 5,000km on them and still going strong. But lots of people don't like them. Hopefully the Michelin's work out for you but you seem to wear out tires rapidly.
Old 03-25-21, 02:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Then to top it all off there's the je ne sais quoi - the variable that no one can explain.
He's haulin' around a lot of je ne sais quoi.
Old 03-25-21, 03:01 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm loving my Michelin Power Road 28mm tubeless tires. They roll well and they are simple to install.
Old 03-25-21, 03:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I have used the Michelin Power All Season in the rear and I changed it out after it was pretty squared off at somewhere around 1,800 to 2,000 miles. The front was an old Pro3 Race Service Course that still not rounded off despite changing to a 3rd new rear tire.

You might be changing out your rear tire a bit prematurely, who knows?

For the last 2 years I have ridden inexpensive Tufo Calibra and Challenge Criterium tires and get between 1,500 & 2,000 miles out of a rear.
Old 03-25-21, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sojodave
They roll well and they are simple to install.
They were tighter than anything that I've used in years. I mean, I still got them on with bare hands, but I had to be more deliberate about the process. I could see some people, those not well versed in tubeless install, swearing that they were impossibly tight. Seating the beads was snap, crackle, pop easy, though.
Old 03-25-21, 04:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,924 Times in 4,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah... mileage on parts on bikes really doesn't do anything for me. On all components it's so different. Personal variables, terrain, weight, riding style, etc. Then to top it all off there's the je ne sais quoi - the variable that no one can explain. Like the mystery variable that leads some people to get more flats than anyone else in their group even with the same tires, pressure, weight, etc.

All mileages with regard to performance, should be given in "less than, about the same, more than, around twice more" terms when comparing to previous use.

In this case the OP could have said "At this point I have enough wear to imply I might get between 35-40% more wear out of these than I do out of Conti 4000's ...YMMV" but what fun would that be. It's way more interesting to argue about minutia over the internet.
I'm gonna give you major props for working a French phrase into a bf post. Very erudite.
Old 03-25-21, 05:33 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by masi61
I have used the Michelin Power All Season in the rear and I changed it out after it was pretty squared off at somewhere around 1,800 to 2,000 miles. The front was an old Pro3 Race Service Course that still not rounded off despite changing to a 3rd new rear tire.

You might be changing out your rear tire a bit prematurely, who knows?

For the last 2 years I have ridden inexpensive Tufo Calibra and Challenge Criterium tires and get between 1,500 & 2,000 miles out of a rear.
The Power All Season is a longer wearing tire than the Power Road, so those numbers make sense to me. I change when the TWIs are gone, or the tire is damaged. Of course, if I change a tire due to damage, well, the mileage doesn't matter.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-26-21, 09:11 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
dmanthree not to derail your thread, but if you are looking for a tyre that might last you longer than what you've experienced before, give the Giant Gavia series a go. I've had good luck with those tyres. Not the fastest tyres in the bunch, but for price to life ratio, they seem to do pretty good.

WhyFi Speaking of mounting tyres, I had to mount another Veloflex after the slash to my rear wheel. That tyre, while a struggle to get on the rim, did not seat as easy as snap, crackle, pop. Sealant here, sealant there and a couple of inflation attempts later (not to mention some sealant bubbling out of the wheel/rim/tyre) and I'm all set. Tyre is seated and holding air nicely. Was a brute to get going though.

Sojodave and WhyFi both of you are making good arguments for me to add yet more tyres to my inventory...Mrs. NoWhammies will be so pleased
Old 03-26-21, 09:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
WhyFi Speaking of mounting tyres, I had to mount another Veloflex after the slash to my rear wheel. That tyre, while a struggle to get on the rim, did not seat as easy as snap, crackle, pop. Sealant here, sealant there and a couple of inflation attempts later (not to mention some sealant bubbling out of the wheel/rim/tyre) and I'm all set. Tyre is seated and holding air nicely. Was a brute to get going though.
Ugh. This is why I only want tires that stay bead-locked when deflated - I don't want to have sealant sloshing around when I get them seated.
Old 03-26-21, 10:11 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Ugh. This is why I only want tires that stay bead-locked when deflated - I don't want to have sealant sloshing around when I get them seated.
Reason 8,234 that I charge a lot of money to set up tubeless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.