Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Registered for 6 Gap... Pretty Excited

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 07:54 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I've done nine centuries, two with 4,800 feet of climbing and one with 8,500 feet of climbing, but I'm pretty stoked to have registered for 6 Gap in NE Georgia this September. It's 104 miles with 11,200 feet of climbing and 6 mountain gaps to climb (hence the name). I started training for this last year, have been working with a cycling coach and I've made pretty good progress. But I'm still a bit nervous considering the amount of climbing involved.

I've been committed to this for a while, even booking my hotel for it months ago. Tomorrow I will drive to Clermont, FL (about a 2.5 hour drive from home) just to ride hill repeats. The hills section I ride in Clermont is about 11 miles round trip. The hills are not long but they are pretty steep. Each round trip provides about 1,000 feet of climbing. I hope to do at least 4 rounds tomorrow, but I'm shooting for 6. This may be routine for some of you, but it is not for me. My plan is to continue to work with my coach with Zwift hills at home, ride our local hills (repeatedly) and visit Clermont once a month, increasing my workout each time.

I'm not sure why I shared this except that I'm pretty psyched about doing 6 Gap.
Old 04-02-21, 09:15 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I'll see you there! I registered yesterday but I'm just doing the 3 gap. First time for me and if all goes well I'll plan on doing the full 6 gap next year.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-03-21, 06:23 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'm excited the military will now let me travel more than 100 miles from home (Augusta, GA) so I might actually be able to go and do this (or the three gap). The big issue for me will be my weight. My new bike/wheels will save about 3 pounds but I've got about an entire bike of weight to lose as I'd like to get from 190 to 175 bike September.
Old 04-03-21, 06:49 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I'm excited the military will now let me travel more than 100 miles from home (Augusta, GA) so I might actually be able to go and do this (or the three gap). The big issue for me will be my weight. My new bike/wheels will save about 3 pounds but I've got about an entire bike of weight to lose as I'd like to get from 190 to 175 bike September.
I'm 210 and not a climber but I'm gonna do this. Hope to be 200 or less for the ride. In any event I'm not going to be dancing up those mountains.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-04-21, 07:44 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I should be there, it’s an awesome event. Probably make a decision on which one closer to event. I did it a couple weeks ago from the rock pile with some friends chill pace was really enjoyable with the leaves gone scenery was fantastic

A guy that started riding in my friends club was nearing 5 hrs last year, his chip didn’t work which was bummer but strava had his speed at 20 mph, he wouldn’t have won but I still can’t fathom how amateurs can go at that speed and he hasn’t been cycling very long!

Just finishing is a huge accomplishment in my opinion
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 04-04-21, 07:52 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I've done nine centuries, two with 4,800 feet of climbing and one with 8,500 feet of climbing, but I'm pretty stoked to have registered for 6 Gap in NE Georgia this September. It's 104 miles with 11,200 feet of climbing and 6 mountain gaps to climb (hence the name). I started training for this last year, have been working with a cycling coach and I've made pretty good progress. But I'm still a bit nervous considering the amount of climbing involved.

I've been committed to this for a while, even booking my hotel for it months ago. Tomorrow I will drive to Clermont, FL (about a 2.5 hour drive from home) just to ride hill repeats. The hills section I ride in Clermont is about 11 miles round trip. The hills are not long but they are pretty steep. Each round trip provides about 1,000 feet of climbing. I hope to do at least 4 rounds tomorrow, but I'm shooting for 6. This may be routine for some of you, but it is not for me. My plan is to continue to work with my coach with Zwift hills at home, ride our local hills (repeatedly) and visit Clermont once a month, increasing my workout each time.

I'm not sure why I shared this except that I'm pretty psyched about doing 6 Gap.
Alot of riders come up from Florida and I’m always surprised at how well they do with Florida being so flat

Just pace yourself especially on the ride out there are some pretty good rollers before the gaps even start. Wolfpen is pretty rough length and grade. The rest aren’t real steep. Neels is long

I did three gap my first time and my buddy said I’d be wanting more when I finished: he was wrong that was plenty
Old 04-04-21, 07:52 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by guachi
Maybe we should ride together. I'm in the process of losing weight. I lost 33 pounds in the last 14 months, now down to 199. I want to lose at least another 20 before 6 Gap. It'll be difficult; 6 Gap is now 25 weeks away.
Old 04-04-21, 07:58 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
Alot of riders come up from Florida and I’m always surprised at how well they do with Florida being so flat

Just pace yourself especially on the ride out there are some pretty good rollers before the gaps even start. Wolfpen is pretty rough length and grade. The rest aren’t real steep. Neels is long

I did three gap my first time and my buddy said I’d be wanting more when I finished: he was wrong that was plenty
I hear that a lot about Florida riders. But we, along the coast deal with pretty strong wind sometimes which can simulate an uphill climb-- I know it's not the same. Another thing is that with all the flat terrain, we never stop pedaling. It's a different kind of riding. We have some snowbirds that come here each winter. Some of them are surprisingly spent at the end of our group rides because they never get a chance to stop pedaling since there are no descents.
Old 04-04-21, 07:59 PM
Bassmanbob

I just received an email from the event organizers. They are reversing the climb up Hogpen Gap to make it "more fun" up the steeper side of the mountain... oh joy.
Old 04-05-21, 06:58 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Did it 2019, fantastic event, great roads, aid station at the top of each climb. Rode for a while with some folks from Florida, they were doing really well for not having any/much climbing training. lol Might have to do it again this year, but won't know if I'll be able to until it gets closer.
Likes For Rides4Beer: