Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vision Gets Blurry During Ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vision Gets Blurry During Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 03:25 PM
Privat3j3t

Bikes: Cannondale Slate, Soma Groove, Interloc Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Deleted

Deleted

Last edited by Privat3j3t; 02-07-22 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Delete Post
Old 04-18-21, 03:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Not common at all.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 04-18-21, 03:41 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallin
I have been off the bike for a couple years but have recently started riding again, looking to get back in shape. I've noticed that around the 1 hour mark of my rides (between 1-2 hours, 12-30 miles) my vision starts to get a bit blurry. Not to the point that I can't see or read street signs, but just a bit more fuzzy than usual. This can also last for about an hour as I recover after the ride.

I'm 27 years old and do not wear glasses/contacts or have any other vision issues that I'm aware of. This starts happening once I'm pretty gassed and have been riding fairly hard for about an hour. I'm still out of shape, am I just pushing is too much too soon? Is this a nutrition problem? I usually just eat something small before my ride and then just drink water during.

I'm not sure if I need to get my vision checked or if this is a common cycling or other working out issue that can be resolved with something else. Thanks!
It is not common at all and I don't think you should be asking that question on a bike forum. I would consult a physician if I were you. It could be a lots of things; low sugar, low blood pressure, heat stroke, etc.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-18-21, 09:01 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
https://www.irunfar.com/2017/10/visi...-research.html

My vision would start to go during cold days on the bike. I was into randonneuring, and if it was cold or windy, I was in for a treat. My vision would start to cloud from the edges in, and if I didn't hustle, I would be almost sightless by the time the rise was done. Obviously, if I drove to the start, I had to wait for it to clear, usually an hour to an hour and a half. I heard about the Wiley-X glasses with the padding around the lenses, and picked up a pair. I've never looked back. I wear them during training, but due to peripheral vision loss due to the padding, I can't wear them during races.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-19-21, 02:48 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
https://www.irunfar.com/2017/10/visi...-research.html

My vision would start to go during cold days on the bike. I was into randonneuring, and if it was cold or windy, I was in for a treat. My vision would start to cloud from the edges in, and if I didn't hustle, I would be almost sightless by the time the rise was done. Obviously, if I drove to the start, I had to wait for it to clear, usually an hour to an hour and a half. I heard about the Wiley-X glasses with the padding around the lenses, and picked up a pair. I've never looked back. I wear them during training, but due to peripheral vision loss due to the padding, I can't wear them during races.
+1 on the Wiley glasses! What a huge difference in the winter, and now during pollen season. The only problem is remembering to use the foam insert, as I don’t always use it. Stoplights and long steep hills can cause some fogging but not having hazy eyes for 2 hours after a ride is worth it.
Likes For waters60:
Old 04-19-21, 03:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallin
I have been off the bike for a couple years but have recently started riding again, looking to get back in shape. I've noticed that around the 1 hour mark of my rides (between 1-2 hours, 12-30 miles) my vision starts to get a bit blurry. Not to the point that I can't see or read street signs, but just a bit more fuzzy than usual. This can also last for about an hour as I recover after the ride.

I'm 27 years old and do not wear glasses/contacts or have any other vision issues that I'm aware of. This starts happening once I'm pretty gassed and have been riding fairly hard for about an hour. I'm still out of shape, am I just pushing is too much too soon? Is this a nutrition problem? I usually just eat something small before my ride and then just drink water during.

I'm not sure if I need to get my vision checked or if this is a common cycling or other working out issue that can be resolved with something else. Thanks!
If you over-exert yourself while exercising, you might get light-headed, which would affect your vision; you should talk to a physician.
Old 04-19-21, 08:41 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
A drop in blood sugar may cause blurry vision. Any problems with low blood sugar?
Old 04-19-21, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Do you have a HR monitor? Do you know what your HR was while your vision was blurry?

One time I had blurry vision for a portion of a ride. My HR was down in the 80 bpm range and it should have normally been up in the 130 to 140 bpm range for the effort I was putting out.

It's only happened once to me and it was while I was still getting in riding shape. I asked several doctors about it, and they said if it only happened that one time, it's not much of a concern. But I am to let them know if it ever happens again.

Do I need to say see a medical professional?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-19-21, 08:56 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I always reply:

See a Doctor or Ask a Bike Mechanic.

Old 04-19-21, 07:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,004 Posts
A good friend of my wife was participating in a half tri this last weekend and after the swim, he was slightly dizzy and have some blurry vision but took off on the bike, about 5 miles in, got to a aid station, they took him to the hospital and we found out this morning, that he had a mild stroke and had a collapse of some an artery. He is scheduled for surgery in the morning. This guy is very physically fit , ran a marathon the end of last month and has not had any physical issues.

I don't want to sound like the sky is falling, but I would go see a doc.

Brian

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-20-21, 06:01 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Sounds kind of normal to me.
Whenever I ride my vision also gets blurry, along with a lot of pressure on the left side of my chest and occasional slurring of speech.
When it all started a couple of years ago I inquired on BF about it first ofc and everyone suggested I just needed to get a professional bike fit and better quality bibs
Old 04-20-21, 08:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Sometimes if I ride in the drops for a long time my vision gets wonky. I've read about other cyclists experiencing the same thing but it resolves quickly if I sit up and stop hammering. It never happens on the mountain bike or when riding more casually. I'm not very flexible and I'm old. I don't remember it happening years ago, at least not like it does now.
Old 04-21-21, 04:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Get your neck checked. Pronto. There could be impingement on a nerve, blood vessels or the vertebrae themselves may be damaged. Some folks are born with minor cervical neck issues that go unnoticed until they get into odd positions -- and a drop bar road bike is among the oddest of the odd.

My C1 and C2 were cracked when my compact car was t-boned by a full size SUV at 50+mph in 2001. Both are permanently damaged now and I can feel it worsening over time. Even after years of physical therapy (it's a daily thing now) I'm still very position-sensitive on a bike. A fraction off in bike fit and rough roads can cause blurry vision from nerve issues in the neck. So I adjust my bike fit as needed to suit myself.

And in my early 60s I'm comparatively fortunate. On a ride a couple of years ago I met a fellow riding cross country who wore a neck brace. He was a paramedic or EMT who was struck by a drunk driver on an emergency medical stop. Nearly paralyzed, laid up for a year. When he finally got out he wanted to ride a bike cross country before his neck worsened. He's only in his 30s. During the 10 or so miles we rode together he had to get off an walk once or twice just to give his neck a rest and different position. He was damned determined to ride across the US in that condition.

One reason I really like my old school steel road bike with quill stem is it's easy to adjust an 1/8" or 1/4" as needed to suit my neck, during a break in long ride. With my two carbon bikes with threadless I'm pretty much locked in unless I want to tote a mini torque wrench and spacers (which I have done to make adjustments on longer rides when shaking out my fit on both bikes).

And if you do have neck problems do not EVER allow a chiropractor to make "adjustments." Discuss everything thoroughly up front. Gentle constant traction may be okay. My favorite physical therapy wizard has the magic hands for that. But I won't allow any chiropractor to do neck adjustments. One wrong move and I'm paralyzed or dead.
Old 04-21-21, 05:51 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
might be sensitivity to some factors like that mentioned blood sugar level or something.

I remember once near the end of a half day long cross country tour with a bunch of people, I saw beautiful cross country tracks, those made by a scooter, probably made for a training for a pro racers, and I decided to take leave of the others and try it out. It was several kilometer loop and when I came back on the trail where I parted the company, I continued to the ski hut where we all stayed but shortly I noticed my vison started to deteriorate, I was suffering from tunnel vison and everything went blurry, also my hearing was funny and I knew that is because I ran out of energy, blood sugar and that I need to stop and recharge some energy that way or collapse in another few hundred meters.

I had no food left on me and when some people passed me, I stopped them and asked them if they have something to eat, that I am totally done in, else they will have to carry me LOL Luckily they had a chocolate bar that put me back on feet in several minutes and I made it home on my own.

In those days, I had pretty well no body fat and I discharged fast at the end of the energy output, sort of like re-chargeable batteries do.

Last edited by vane171; 04-21-21 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 08:34 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I’ve never had it on the bike but I get ocular migraines usually before the actual headache , makes the vision blurry . Not sure if what you have but it’s pretty common , seems odd though only when on bike