Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 owners: Checking battery percentage and charge?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 owners: Checking battery percentage and charge?

Old 04-26-21, 01:37 AM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Don’t. Your questions were remarkably different (in substance and expectation) than asking about a 30+ pound bike with garbage components looking for affirmation from a bunch of folks who’ve been riding quality bikes for years. D-Fly is NOT a requirement to have Di2, it can enhance the experience, but it isn’t necessary. That’s my opinions.

As for what gear you’re in, I don’t look or care either. I can tell by feel when I am outside my normal cadence range, and I know how to shift the gears to get there based on the salutation (wind, hills up or down, etc.). It’s a “nice to have”, but definitely not necessary for even a moderately experienced rider.
Thanks for understanding and for sharing your view. And yea', I agree. It can definitely enhance a ride. Guess it just boils down to what you have and what you want.

Originally Posted by silverado8405
I find knowing what gear I’m in to be incredibly helpful for going up hills. I have some around me that I know I can do in the big ring and some that need the small ring. Then there’s the times that I forget to pay attention and have to make a decision, do I shift up and get to where I need to be or is there too many jumps and I dump the front to the little ring and keep going. The last case is when I’m going down hill and start to think I’m superman and spinning out the hardest gear only to realize I have a couple more downshifts to go and I’m not going to win the Tour De France thanks to my absolutely awesome power output.

in short, no it’s not needed but there are cases where it may be useful to know some of that information.
Got it. Thank you.
Old 04-26-21, 06:23 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
On a somewhat related topic, my bike is currently in the shop being upgraded to Ultegra Di2 and I have been doing online reading and watching YouTube videos about Di2 and how to use it.

Yesterday, I read an article that mentioned the eTube app and its capabilities. The app sounded like a great tool that I would use, but many reviews for eTube in the Google Play Store were negative and discussed issues such as the app being unable to connect with Di2, the app crashing and other major issues.

Are those negative comments legit, or is it a situation where a small percentage of people who have experienced issues are writing negative reviews while the vast majority of eTube users are happy with the app?
Old 04-26-21, 07:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
On a somewhat related topic, my bike is currently in the shop being upgraded to Ultegra Di2 and I have been doing online reading and watching YouTube videos about Di2 and how to use it.

Yesterday, I read an article that mentioned the eTube app and its capabilities. The app sounded like a great tool that I would use, but many reviews for eTube in the Google Play Store were negative and discussed issues such as the app being unable to connect with Di2, the app crashing and other major issues.

Are those negative comments legit, or is it a situation where a small percentage of people who have experienced issues are writing negative reviews while the vast majority of eTube users are happy with the app?
On iOS, no. The one time I had an issue, it was due to the wireless in my house deciding to conk out as I was upgrading firmware, and it "bricked" the battery module. Fortunately, because I have more than a couple bikes with Di2, I also chose to own a SM-PCE1 PC linkage device, and in about 20 minutes after running over to a buddy's house to get a PC, I had the system fully functional. If I had not had that option, I would have had to go to a bike shop to get it reset. But, that was one time over the last 3 years using the EW-WU111 in conjunction with the eTube app to program my bikes. The app is far more stable (on iOS) today than it was several years ago...I see no reason why it isn't the same for Androids.
Old 04-26-21, 09:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
On iOS, no. The one time I had an issue, it was due to the wireless in my house deciding to conk out as I was upgrading firmware, and it "bricked" the battery module. Fortunately, because I have more than a couple bikes with Di2, I also chose to own a SM-PCE1 PC linkage device, and in about 20 minutes after running over to a buddy's house to get a PC, I had the system fully functional. If I had not had that option, I would have had to go to a bike shop to get it reset. But, that was one time over the last 3 years using the EW-WU111 in conjunction with the eTube app to program my bikes. The app is far more stable (on iOS) today than it was several years ago...I see no reason why it isn't the same for Androids.
I've seen advice to not even bother trying to update the bike's software over bt, with any phone- it just doesn't work well. Occasionally, when my Di2 bike is in the shop for something else, I'll just ask them to do the update - since I don't want to bother hooking up a pc to the bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-21, 11:45 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Koyote I don’t even own a PC...but I bricked a bike last winter, and with COVID restrictions here in Belgium, I couldn’t get into a bike shop for 3 or 4 weeks, so I bought the PC link device and borrowed a work colleague’s PC. Worked like a charm. I agree, I won’t bother with another attempt to do BT updates, now. But, I can dang sure do all sorts fo cool things....namely recover bricked Di2 now!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-26-21, 04:56 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have used the app multiple times to update both my Di2 bikes and have never had a problem. Might be one of those,” It is not a problem till it is
Old 04-26-21, 06:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
Gotcha! Thanks again for your help. It's good to have even a vague idea of how many more shifts would remain. I'll be on the rm -rf wave, though, and will charge before it turns red, so hopefully it'll never get to that point.
I do try to keep the battery at 50% or more. But sometimes I just don't check often enough. It's easier to remember if it's something to be done every ride. Remembering once every week or two is harder.

I once did a whole ride trying to conserve shifting. I think the display was blinking red at the start of the 50 miles? In any case, I didn't think it was enough to finish on that old battery. (But blinking red was probably okay for one ride.)
That was an "interesting" ride, where I was grinding in a low gear, or spinning to avoid another shift, even to the point of spinning up on the flats, coasting, and repeating. Not optimal.

Someone posted a list of Di2 "tips and tricks", some were quite good.
But one was for a dead battery: unplug your rear derailler, get your buddy with Di2 to unplug their rear cable, and temporarily plug into yours, then shift to a middle cog to have something reasonable for the rest of the ride. Heh. Yeah it could work.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-26-21, 10:55 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by rm -rf
But one was for a dead battery: unplug your rear derailler, get your buddy with Di2 to unplug their rear cable, and temporarily plug into yours, then shift to a middle cog to have something reasonable for the rest of the ride. Heh. Yeah it could work.
I've seen it done.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-26-21, 10:57 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have used the app multiple times to update both my Di2 bikes and have never had a problem. Might be one of those,” It is not a problem till it is
Exactly. And when it fails, the system is D-E-D, dead. And, the normal charger won't bring it back, you need the fancy PC Link Device, which most shops should have. The recovery takes about 3 minutes, and of course your time to take bike to the shop and whether they will fit you right in or it gets to spend a few nights there...
Old 04-27-21, 03:46 AM
Ataylor

I do try to keep the battery at 50% or more. But sometimes I just don't check often enough. It's easier to remember if it's something to be done every ride. Remembering once every week or two is harder.
Yea', I can imagine. If I see myself not being mindful of that, I'll just set a weekly alarm in my phone to check the battery and take it from there, I guess.

I once did a whole ride trying to conserve shifting. I think the display was blinking red at the start of the 50 miles? In any case, I didn't think it was enough to finish on that old battery. (But blinking red was probably okay for one ride.)
That was an "interesting" ride, where I was grinding in a low gear, or spinning to avoid another shift, even to the point of spinning up on the flats, coasting, and repeating. Not optimal.
Sheesh. One non-essential piece that I'd totally jump on board for would be a wireless Shimano charger of some kind. Would be neat if they came up with something like a charger that could perhaps be incorporated into a bike stand or something like that? A sensor for the stand that's constantly plugged in and a sensor on the bike that's somehow connected to the battery. Basically a design where you could just back your wheel into the slot and it would start charging automatically. No need to fuss around plugging anything in or even remembering to charge. Do what you normally do after each ride and you'd have a battery at 100% at all times. Not a tech guy by any means, so this may be senseless to some degree, but I think it would be really cool to have something like that if it were possible.

Someone posted a list of Di2 "tips and tricks", some were quite good.
Pretty sure I saw the guys on GCN do that. I agree. It's a really great tip.
Old 04-28-21, 10:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
The Campagnolo electronic derailleur can be "unlatched" when dead, and moved to a different gear. By pulling on the derailleur body, I think? A nice design. I've never seen one around here.
Old 04-28-21, 10:27 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I've never had an issue with the IOS e-Tube app and have updated the Di2 Firmware several times. I have also used the maintenance function to dial in the indexing with no issues.

Re: Di2 battery not being reliable over BT. Yes I have heard that too, but your computer most likely connects to your bike via ANT not BT so the battery indication should be good.

To the OP....ask yourself this: If there was a small digital battery indicator that told you the % charge that was easy to install in-line anywhere you wanted...would you do it? If so installing the EW-WU111 is no different, you just get a whole lot more capability over battery level.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 04-28-21, 10:52 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
As a gadget lover, I have to admit that I once thought I would get some kicks out of this "peripheral Di2 gear." Glad I saved my money. Over 6 years of riding, I don't think I've ever had reason to use any of it. I charge my battery when the FD stops shifting, never had a problem getting home without it. I get about 450 miles out of a charge so I don't need to check the battery much at all. The rig has never lost its indexing or given me a single problem (yeah, don't tempt the gods...). My highest complement: I don't have to think about it; it just works.
Old 04-28-21, 11:08 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

450 miles? It sounds like your battery is nearing the end of its usable life. 6 years is good use, though!
Old 04-28-21, 07:07 PM
Ataylor

Originally Posted by jadocs
To the OP....ask yourself this: If there was a small digital battery indicator that told you the % charge that was easy to install in-line anywhere you wanted...would you do it?
I would, yes. Not for a hundred dollars, though. I don't think the battery percentage reading (which is all I wanted from the unit) is worth that much. I have the shifters, which are good enough.

I guess my thing from the beginning was hoping that I could find something that could give me that reading for free. I thought that maybe it was a part of the E-TUBE program or perhaps there was a free app or something out there that could give me that reading. It's just one those things where it would be cool to have, but not having it is totally fine as well. If the shifters or program didn't include the option, that would be a totally different story, obviously. As is, not really a huge deal either way for me.

Last edited by Ataylor; 04-28-21 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-29-21, 11:02 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
450 miles? It sounds like your battery is nearing the end of its usable life. 6 years is good use, though!
I'm a shift-o-phile. Always managing back into that 85-90 cadence. I'm wondering if, at some point soon, this "retro" battery will be hard to replace...should probably start looking into that.
Old 04-29-21, 11:25 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I have about 17k miles on my Ultegra Di2, and never once wondered what the exact charge level was. I typically charge it after ~1,000 miles, or if the flashing green light occurs when holding in a shifter button. Though I have been negligent and let the battery run flat twice in the past year, turning the bike into a single speed, which really sucks in a hilly area.
Old 04-30-21, 04:20 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Exactly. And when it fails, the system is D-E-D, dead. And, the normal charger won't bring it back, you need the fancy PC Link Device, which most shops should have. The recovery takes about 3 minutes, and of course your time to take bike to the shop and whether they will fit you right in or it gets to spend a few nights there...
This popped up a week ago on GP Lama’s Channel.

Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-01-21, 03:09 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Interesting...and greta to know!

Now that I think about it, the two times I had a dead system it was the battery update failing, and thus, as GP said, it required a hard wired fix.
Old 05-04-21, 03:30 PM
GaryZim

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Yours displays the ratio? My wahoo only displays what gear on a bar graph looking display. Unless I don’t know how to make it do that.

That would be nice to see the ratio.
You need to go into the Element App and add the other field. It can show you both!
Old 05-05-21, 03:50 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
It seems that if we have an electronic shifter on our bikes we have already crossed the frontier. Three days ago my Bolt told me my Di2 battery was low. Yesterday it reminded me again so I charged it. Can’t get much easier than that.
Old 05-05-21, 08:14 AM
GaryZim

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
It seems that if we have an electronic shifter on our bikes we have already crossed the frontier. Three days ago my Bolt told me my Di2 battery was low. Yesterday it reminded me again so I charged it. Can’t get much easier than that.
Your Chevy Bolt reminded you to charge your bike?? very cool
Old 05-13-22, 06:58 PM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happy to help.

May I suggest that a wireless unit is useful for a whole lot more than just giving you a battery percentage in a data field on your cycling computer (on Garmins it displays in 10% increments until 20%, then it goes to 5%). With the BT module added, you can use the eTube app on your phone to adjust (program) the shifting, and it will also allow you to control certain cycle computers (Wahoo and Garmin for sure) if you have the Di2 integration buttons on your shifters (DA R9100, Ultegra R8000, GRX 800).
The wireless unit seems pretty cool. I have to wonder if there will be radio frequencies or other interference with my hr monitor, cadence and speed sensors, power meter pedals and cell phone.
Old 05-13-22, 09:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 83cannondale
The wireless unit seems pretty cool. I have to wonder if there will be radio frequencies or other interference with my hr monitor, cadence and speed sensors, power meter pedals and cell phone.
No.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-13-22, 10:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
That's still remarkably short. I've had mine since 2014 and live in a very hilly area. I get at least 1000 miles out of it, and re-charge when it starts to green-flash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.