Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patching Party

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Patching Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 07:13 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It hasn’t been necessary since the 1930s and the process that used heat didn’t set the vulcanizing fluid on fire. It used a patch, a clamp, and a special brick that was set on fire to heat the clamp and tire at the same time. No fire came in direct contact with the rubber.

This idea of setting the glue on fire to make the patch work better is a bit of erroneous folklore based on a misunderstanding of the hot patch method that has been passed down for 100 years or more now.
pyrotechnic patches were in use in the US until the 90s, or very early 2000s. Last holdout industries were ag and industrial/mining stuff. Air pollution controls is what did them in. They are more reliable on less than properly prepared tubes, or at least that's what the claim was.
Old 04-26-21, 07:23 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Here's the results. 16 rubes collected and saved for fixing. 11 were patched and now are testing for air retention over night. 3 tubes had no found hole (dipped into bucket of water multiple times) and are also being tested (could be crap in valve?) 2 tubes tossed due to impact flats (snake bite pairing of holes).
Snake bites are what the long oval patches in Rema patch kits (I forget the number of the patch) are for. They work well for that, but I usually end up putting a pair of round patches on. they often overlap, but that's no problem, just requires two trips through the clean/sand/glue/dry pipeline.
Old 04-26-21, 08:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Snake bites are what the long oval patches in Rema patch kits (I forget the number of the patch) are for. They work well for that, but I usually end up putting a pair of round patches on. they often overlap, but that's no problem, just requires two trips through the clean/sand/glue/dry pipeline.
Yes, I do know that but a good reminder for others, thanks. It's an effort that is just past my personal line, unless I'm on a tour and getting hard up. Andy
Old 04-26-21, 09:56 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 329 Posts
I agree with repairing tubes to minimize waste. I never had much luck with the gluey patches. Some of the tips above may help. But I got sold on the Park Tool sticky patches, especially for field patching, love'em. However I have only used them on low pressure (40 PSI) tires. Don't know how well they hold near 100 PSI.

After my last flats, front and rear, finding shelter from pouring rain in a loading dock to change both to spares I carry, the next day I took the old tubes (already had a couple patches each), cut off the valve stem, and put the deflated double-layer tube between the new (to be inflated tube) and the inside of the tire, as extra armor (and way cheaper than plastic strips sold for the job). Haven't had a flat since, over two years now. Mind you, mine is a townie with panniers, 1.75" section width, I don't mind the extra weight. I used to save old tubes for miscellaneous projects, but now I'm saving them to do the same for all the family townie or mountain bikes. I'll skip this on skinny-tire road bikes, but even my racer I long ago put 28mm on for better ride and rim durability, along with touring strength double-socketed rims, I got tired of replacing rims after 3 years due to cracks at the spoke hole (55km ride per day); Those rims last forever, though not long after, I switched to a townie to hold panniers.
Old 04-27-21, 03:02 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
At some point, I am gonna play around with tube sealant just for fun.
Old 04-27-21, 08:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

BikeLite- Have fun with sealant. We dislike it at work for a few reasons. I've only personally used it for my touring bike due to riding out west in goat head land. I didn't suffer any flates on the 300ish miles of loaded tour, but no one else did and only a few of us ran sealant. I will swap out the tubes for standard ones soon as this year's tour will be East of the Mississippi to the big pond. Andy
Old 04-27-21, 09:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
pyrotechnic patches were in use in the US until the 90s, or very early 2000s. Last holdout industries were ag and industrial/mining stuff. Air pollution controls is what did them in. They are more reliable on less than properly prepared tubes, or at least that's what the claim was.
I didn’t say they didn’t exist, just that they were unnecessary. Even when hot patches were used, they didn’t actually burn a solvent nor did the flame come in direct contact with the rubber. Setting fire to the adhesive was never part of the process and was the result of someone observing the hot patch method and not understanding what was happening during the process.

Edit: from what I can deduce about hot patch kits, the “heat source” seems to have been a phosphorus compound similar to matches.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-28-21 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-28-21, 04:23 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
BikeLite- Have fun with sealant. We dislike it at work for a few reasons. I've only personally used it for my touring bike due to riding out west in goat head land. I didn't suffer any flates on the 300ish miles of loaded tour, but no one else did and only a few of us ran sealant. I will swap out the tubes for standard ones soon as this year's tour will be East of the Mississippi to the big pond. Andy
Andrew, check out this post over at mtbr
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/homemad...#post-10350695
"Having rode pro-enduro for 13 years, OWNING A BICYCLE SHOP, & owning/operating numerous pieces of rubber-tired ag equipment (in rural, southeast Missouri; i.e.: thorns of all nature & size), I find the following to work very well.

All of the opinions/formulas sound plausible, but I’d like to share an older tried-n-true method, as well as a newer one (admittedly semi-plagiarized from a commercial formula).

In the mid ‘70s we started making our motorcycle tube sealant from: low buck, pink, generic, kitchen dish detergent (then a very dense viscosity); glycerin, & isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (a ratio of a bottle of each was fine). This stuff lasts forever; I still have it in my ‘76 factory works Suzuki PE250 tubes!!! I’ve also been running it (since ‘88) in the front tubes on my 40-horse farm tractor; with locust thorns the size of horseshoe nails having been pulled out of the tires!!!

My new method is to use Palmolive green dish liquid (about the thickest available); glycerin; & isopropyl alky. PLUS, I use polyester (fiberfill type) batting. Another “plugging agent” that can be used instead of the poly-fill is cotton balls or batting. These are essentially the same idea behind the “wadding” mixed into the injectable, bulk Slime.

For SV tube applications, the batting is chopped-up small enough (cut to the size of cotton-swab ends) to be poked into the Schrader valve (with core removed) using the stalk of a cotton swab (or similar “tool”); I then inject the 3-part goo into the tube using either a large syringe, of the veterinary or horse worming paste type. Another great fill tool is a mustard squirt bottle fitted with an old hose-n-coupler off a spent Fix-A-Flat can. For Presta valved tubes inserting the batting is a real bear & ONLY possible on tubes with removable cores (& with smaller pieces of batting, too)! PV tubes would be best done with just the goo, & hope for the best."........
Old 04-28-21, 10:05 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by flanso
Andrew, What is the device, in picture 1, on which the tubes are hanging?
It's an alignment tool for welding custom bike frames.
Old 04-28-21, 07:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by flanso
Andrew, What is the device, in picture 1, on which the tubes are hanging?

Yes, rm-rf has it right. An Anvil brand. I've built frames since 1977, mostly at a slow hobby pace. This frame building jig is a pleasure to work with. It also is a nice hook for various lesser stuff: Andy
Old 04-29-21, 07:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
late to the party, but I knew I had some of the old red patches kicking around, but just went and looked but couldnt dig them up. Mine have that jiggly edge thing going on.
I still dont get why people are hesitant to patch--as someone else wrote, its just not right to discard a still useable item, and my patches last for years and years.

Ive told this story before in the touring forum, but a few years ago when I was biking through parts of Mexico, I met a young Canadian guy biking on his way biking down through Central America. As I was at the end of my trip and about to fly home (and as he came across as a sort of innocent clueless sort of young guy) I gave him a bunch of extra patches and new tubes of glue. It was rather comical when I got this stuff out to give him, and when I said, and heres some glue tubes, he had this quizzical look on his face when he said, "glue??" and I knew right away he had never patched a tube in his life. Sure enough, he had brought a few glueless patches and told me that they hadnt been working.
Explained the process to him, actually told him to go on youtube as i figured he'd get the concept better from a screen, but as I occasionally followed his trip down into South America, he commented a few times in his videos that his patching jobs just didnt work, so the poor guy never got the hang of it.....
Old 04-29-21, 09:08 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Yes, a little patience goes a long way. Let that glue dry before putting on the patch.
Old 04-29-21, 12:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I've always liked the idea of patching parties (read about them from a Jobst Brandt thread way back), but I never have the combination of enough punctured tubes and bikie friends who would be enthusiastic about such a thing. Maybe it was an easier sell back in the day when more people rode tubulars worth saving but were on enough of a budget to consider doing it themselves?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-29-21, 04:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I still do 'em one at a time, but I appreciate the service to humanity. About the long patches from the Rema kit, I cut them in half and use them as two patches. Not because I'm a tightwad per se, but because it's a last resort when I've run out of the smaller patches.