Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Decent budget tire

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Decent budget tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 03:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
I do ride at decent speeds (30-40 km/h on flats) so I want something that at least rolls well. Second consideration would probably be puncture protection, although it should be noted that I haven't had a puncture riding the Ultra Sport III that I have for 2000 km. All that being said, I've narrowed down my tire choices to either get another pair of Ultra Sport IIIs in 28 mm, or get another model from Continental which are the Grand Sport Race. Looking at their specs, they seem to be identical aside from the tread pattern and the presence of a puncture belt on the Grand Sport Race, which also costs around 4 USD more than the Ultra Sport where I live. The puncture belt is NyTech and I haven't read anything about how it performs.

Unless someone can convince me to still get the GP5000s or other tires, these two are the tires I'm considering at the moment. Thanks a lot!

P.S. Schwalbe Pro Ones are 12 USD cheaper than the GP5000s but still, that's a single tire for two Ultra Sport III tires.
I am sort of in the same situation. I have had Ultra Sport III before and am currently riding on Grand Sport Race, and I could not tell much difference between them. My rear tire is getting quite squared. I have a pair of Grand Prix and a single Grand Prix 5000, which I plan to install soon, to see what the hype is all about.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-01-21, 04:54 AM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am sort of in the same situation. I have had Ultra Sport III before and am currently riding on Grand Sport Race, and I could not tell much difference between them. My rear tire is getting quite squared. I have a pair of Grand Prix and a single Grand Prix 5000, which I plan to install soon, to see what the hype is all about.
What do you think of the Ultra Sport III and the Grand Sport Race? In terms of puncture resistance, can you say which one is better?

Please do get back on this thread when you try out the GPs .
Old 05-01-21, 01:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

What do you think of the Ultra Sport III and the Grand Sport Race?
The roads are pretty nice around here, and the only time I had a flat was when I rode into the back of a work truck parked in the bike lane (just after an intersection) without any cones. The "road" in your original photo might be considered gravel riding in Orange County. (Just kidding.) So I know almost nothing about puncture resistance. Also, all my tires are nominally 25 mm wide, so I am not sure the experience will translate. I mainly got the Grand Prix and Grand Prix 5000 to see if I can feel the lower rolling resistance.
Old 05-02-21, 12:36 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Ive had Michelin Lithion 2s that I thought were a good for the price
I picked up a pile of these for ~15 bucks each ages ago. No complaints on my training bike.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-02-21, 02:07 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I picked up a pile of these for ~15 bucks each ages ago. No complaints on my training bike.
I've tried that tyre as well. Beware, it doesn't do well with little sharp flints or glass. I had many flats before binning them. YMMV.
Old 05-02-21, 04:53 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I've tried that tyre as well. Beware, it doesn't do well with little sharp flints or glass. I had many flats before binning them. YMMV.
It's on my training bike. Fixing flats is part of training. Thats a feature, not a bug.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-03-21, 11:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
When I had a fleet of 100 road bikes for rentals and bike tours, we used Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires.

They're medium-priced tires (less than $50 full retail), lightweight, decent rolling resistance, and they last well.

Old 05-03-21, 04:33 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
When I had a fleet of 100 road bikes for rentals and bike tours, we used Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires.

They're medium-priced tires (less than $50 full retail), lightweight, decent rolling resistance, and they last well.
I recently put one of these on the back wheel of my wife's bike. The 23c Conti tire she had was getting frequent flats every time she rolled over a pothole or debris with our 2 year old in the seat on the back. With a 28c Rubino, we haven't had a flat since (going on 6 months now, and the kid isn't getting any smaller...)
Old 06-20-21, 03:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

What do you think of the Ultra Sport III and the Grand Sport Race? In terms of puncture resistance, can you say which one is better?
Based purely on Continental's website, the two have the same compound (Pure Grip), so Grand Sport Race = Ultra Sport III + NyTechBreaker puncture protection layer.

Please do get back on this thread when you try out the GPs .
Summer solstice today, so new tires are on: Grand Prix 5000 on the front wheel, Grand Prix on the rear wheel, with new Michelin Airstop (butyl) tubes too. Wheels are not even back on the bike, so no riding impressions yet. Both tires (Black Chili) feel more tacky than the Grand Sport Race (Pure Grip) they replace; I don't recall my fingers feeling this sticky after installing the Grand Sport Race. The new tires are also noticeably narrower than the old tires, even though they are all nominally 700x25 tires. The old tires measure an inch wide, but the new tires measure just over 7/8 inch, even though they are inflated to 100 PSI, which is above my usual riding pressure. Hopefully they stretch a little bit over time.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-20-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 04:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
I ride 32c Pirelli Cinturatos on roads like those. Great puncture protection and still reasonably fast rolling. You can get them in 28c as well, but on those roads I would go 32c for better comfort.
Old 06-21-21, 02:22 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Summer solstice today, so new tires are on: Grand Prix 5000 on the front wheel, Grand Prix on the rear wheel, with new Michelin Airstop (butyl) tubes too. Wheels are not even back on the bike, so no riding impressions yet. Both tires (Black Chili) feel more tacky than the Grand Sport Race (Pure Grip) they replace; I don't recall my fingers feeling this sticky after installing the Grand Sport Race. The new tires are also noticeably narrower than the old tires, even though they are all nominally 700x25 tires. The old tires measure an inch wide, but the new tires measure just over 7/8 inch, even though they are inflated to 100 PSI, which is above my usual riding pressure. Hopefully they stretch a little bit over time.
First ride impressions: Thankfully narrower new tires are not bumpier than wider old tires at the same pressures (85 PSI front, 92.5 PSI rear). Rolling resistance does seem marginally lower but only on asphalt, no perceptible difference on concrete. Only one downhill corner today but a truck braked hard in front of me so did not learn about cornering ability. Based on just this first ride I am not sure the GP5000 is worth the price differential (roughly 1.5x Grand Sport and 2x UItra Sport III) for my relatively non-demanding use case. But of course this is not a decision that I need to make for many thousand miles.
Old 06-21-21, 11:05 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
PBK has GP5Ks for $80/pair, and Rubinos for $67/pair. I still have an old Rubino, a GP4k, and an Ultra Sport 2 lying around, so none for me right now, but I think $40/each for GP5Ks is pretty good - I like the GP4k, 1500 miles so far.

For cars or bikes, decent tires are among the best upgrades. On cars, ride quality and road noise can be noticeably improved for a lot of entry level and mid priced cars, and going from a slow rolling wire bead to a faster folding bead tire can make your bike feel like new, which is probably what you felt upgrading from the stock Giant tires.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 06-21-21, 07:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by aliasfox
PBK has GP5Ks for $80/pair, and Rubinos for $67/pair. I still have an old Rubino, a GP4k, and an Ultra Sport 2 lying around, so none for me right now, but I think $40/each for GP5Ks is pretty good - I like the GP4k, 1500 miles so far.

For cars or bikes, decent tires are among the best upgrades. On cars, ride quality and road noise can be noticeably improved for a lot of entry level and mid priced cars, and going from a slow rolling wire bead to a faster folding bead tire can make your bike feel like new, which is probably what you felt upgrading from the stock Giant tires.
That is a great price for GP5Ks. I have not see GP4K or GP for sale for a long time, even though the latter is still listed on Continental's website.

I think most people agree that the GP5K is a pretty good tire. But the original question by the OP (a self-described "cash-strapped college student" on an "allowance" who rides on pretty bad roads) is whether GP5K is worth the price difference compared to a Grand Sport Race or a Ultra Sport III. Without adjusting for inflation since I was in college, I would say no based on my budget in my college days.
Old 06-21-21, 08:04 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
That is a great price for GP5Ks. I have not see GP4K or GP for sale for a long time, even though the latter is still listed on Continental's website.

I think most people agree that the GP5K is a pretty good tire. But the original question by the OP (a self-described "cash-strapped college student" on an "allowance" who rides on pretty bad roads) is whether GP5K is worth the price difference compared to a Grand Sport Race or a Ultra Sport III. Without adjusting for inflation since I was in college, I would say no based on my budget in my college days.
Fair 'nuff. My Ultra Sport IIs came on my Lynskey, which doesn't actually have chainstays wide enough to fit an Ultra Sport 2 28mm on the back (31.6mm inflated width) - I ended up rubbing on out of the saddle efforts, so I swapped the rear for a GP4k. Kept the Ultra Sport 2 on the front, and it's been good - quite cushy, in fact. And besides, I already have it.

Now, would I buy an Ultra Sport? I've looked, and I've seen Ultra Sport 3s online, but only the wire bead, and still $25 or so. In which case, if it's $50/pair of Ultra Sports and $80/pair of GP5ks, I'd probably spring for the GP5ks and get the additional flat protection - or at least Rubinos, which at $67/pair, aren't much more than wire bead Ultra Sports - very grippy, but they square off fairly quickly. That said, the Ultra Sport's done well by me. I also don't ride in thorny goat head country and I stay far far away from glass if I see it. I should go find some wood to knock on now...
Old 06-22-21, 10:08 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Thanks for all your replies! I forgot to mention I only have a cheap entry-level endurance bike (Giant Contend 2) as my road bike, but I don't know if that changes the story. So far there are more people recommending the GP5Ks.
Tires are the last place you want to go cheap on a bike. They are the single biggest change you can make to improve the ride and handling.
Old 06-23-21, 01:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Fair 'nuff. My Ultra Sport IIs came on my Lynskey, which doesn't actually have chainstays wide enough to fit an Ultra Sport 2 28mm on the back (31.6mm inflated width) - I ended up rubbing on out of the saddle efforts, so I swapped the rear for a GP4k. Kept the Ultra Sport 2 on the front, and it's been good - quite cushy, in fact. And besides, I already have it.

Now, would I buy an Ultra Sport? I've looked, and I've seen Ultra Sport 3s online, but only the wire bead, and still $25 or so. In which case, if it's $50/pair of Ultra Sports and $80/pair of GP5ks, I'd probably spring for the GP5ks and get the additional flat protection - or at least Rubinos, which at $67/pair, aren't much more than wire bead Ultra Sports - very grippy, but they square off fairly quickly. That said, the Ultra Sport's done well by me. I also don't ride in thorny goat head country and I stay far far away from glass if I see it. I should go find some wood to knock on now...
The Conti Ultra Sport II punched way above its weight, assuming we could find 'em for under $20 each. Back around 2017-18 I bought a couple of pairs in 700x25 and x23, all folding bead, for right at $40/pair via Amazon. I put 'em in my Amazon cart, moved them to the "save for later" option and waited for price drops.

But I had to stuff a Kool Stop bead jack in my jersey or strap it to the seat bag, because it's darned near impossible to mount an Ultra Sport II without a bead jack.

I finally switched to Conti GP Classic, and Soma Supple Vitesse, skinwalls, both of which are great values and I can mount 'em with my hands, yet they don't fit so loosely that there's a risk of the tube sneaking out between the bead and rim and bursting.

I still use the Ultra Sport II on my backup wheelset. And I have one wire bead US2 on the rear wheel I use on the trainer. They're really durable but ride well on a wide variety of surfaces.

If Conti modified the Ultra Sport to be just slightly looser so I didn't need a bead jack I'd go back to using them on my hybrid and steel road bike for casual rides.