Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

giro d’italia 2021-straight...no fantasy chaser

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

giro d’italia 2021-straight...no fantasy chaser

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 09:57 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
thinking the hulk woulda finished second if there hadn’t been a certain amount of knee pain and abandonment elsewhere. just sayin but congrats to that peter whatshisname.
Or perhaps the "pocket rocket" would've been dropped like Groenwegen and Merlier was. We will never know...
Old 05-17-21, 10:00 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
stage ten...let's stir the pot...sagan.
Old 05-17-21, 10:00 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
thinking the hulk woulda finished second if there hadn’t been a certain amount of knee pain and abandonment elsewhere. just sayin but congrats to that peter whatshisname.
If Sagan also expects to go to the Tour but is staying in Italy, then he deserves the win no question.
Old 05-17-21, 11:26 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
If Sagan also expects to go to the Tour but is staying in Italy, then he deserves the win no question.
Mercx had some choice words about Ewan's actions!
Old 05-17-21, 05:08 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by slcbob
It's a fine line between keeping your powder dry and not having any powder to burn. We shall see!
There's keeping your powder dry, and then there's going all out for 2 and 1 bonus seconds as our white and pink-jersey dynamic duo did today!
Old 05-17-21, 07:11 PM
GrainBrain

There's keeping your powder dry, and then there's going all out for 2 and 1 bonus seconds as our white and pink-jersey dynamic duo did today!
what was that about? I happened to tune in at the moment, Castroviejo was quick to jump Remco! Still nuts they used Ganna and Castroviejo like that for at most 3 seconds - but that's the difference with keeping the pink jersey. Would it have been dumb to let it go?
Old 05-17-21, 07:16 PM
surak

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
what was that about? I happened to tune in at the moment, Castroviejo was quick to jump Remco! Still nuts they used Ganna and Castroviejo like that for at most 3 seconds - but that's the difference with keeping the pink jersey. Would it have been dumb to let it go?
Someone speculated that Ineos was trying to stealthily take the bonus seconds with Ganna leading out Bernal, but Remco reacted so it was a lot of energy expended over a measly second, on a stage that was made tough for everyone by Bora. Can't blame them for trying as a spectator, but that's one of those little things that could lead to some regrets by the third week.
Old 05-18-21, 01:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
gonna (ganna?) be some big time gaps by the time stage twenty wraps up. from stage 14 >...very little picnicking time.
Old 05-18-21, 10:28 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Someone speculated that Ineos was trying to stealthily take the bonus seconds with Ganna leading out Bernal, but Remco reacted so it was a lot of energy expended over a measly second, on a stage that was made tough for everyone by Bora. Can't blame them for trying as a spectator, but that's one of those little things that could lead to some regrets by the third week.
If Remco doesn't do this then it is likely a 4 second swing. Instead of gaining a second, he probably loses 3. But yeah, that's a lot of energy spent.
Incidentally, having the other Ineos rider win the sprint hurt Bernal. Either way, he loses a second to Evenepoel, but by finishing 3rd instead of 2nd he only gains 1 second on his other competitors.
Old 05-18-21, 11:07 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

stages eleven and twelve both look to be an absolute blast. not game changers like the stage 14 zoncolan or stage 16 high passes but fun and a few will fall off the pace.

stage eleven...sagan or tales of brave ulissi...? let's go with tales of brave ulissi.
Old 05-19-21, 03:47 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Uissi is a solid pick. This race has been a win-from-the-break-fest and I think it happens again today. Tough to call who make it stick, but Simon Pellaud wasn't in the break yesterday so he's overdue for some more camera time.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 05-19-21, 05:18 AM
GrainBrain

Agree the break will probably win, but I have real worries about Hugh Carthy. Could be a real bad day for some on GC. Hugh's style of riding up climbs out of the saddle and weight forward on the bike is opposite of how you need to ride the second gravel sector and the climb.

Not arguing against Ulissi, but Dave Hunter did offhandedly mention Herman's. How wonderful that could be ...

I didn't realize Bernal is a mountain biker! I look for Bernal to put in some real time today. I could see a wild prediction of Bernal getting into the break that forms at the base of the gravel climb. With the rolling terrain and gravel it would be hard for the GC to chase him down.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 05-19-21, 08:58 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Agree the break will probably win, but I have real worries about Hugh Carthy. Could be a real bad day for some on GC. Hugh's style of riding up climbs out of the saddle and weight forward on the bike is opposite of how you need to ride the second gravel sector and the climb.

Not arguing against Ulissi, but Dave Hunter did offhandedly mention Herman's. How wonderful that could be ...

I didn't realize Bernal is a mountain biker! I look for Bernal to put in some real time today. I could see a wild prediction of Bernal getting into the break that forms at the base of the gravel climb. With the rolling terrain and gravel it would be hard for the GC to chase him down.
That would be huge, but if the opposing teams have any strength at all, they'll do everything to prevent it.
Old 05-19-21, 09:33 AM
GrainBrain

Wow can't wait to rewatch this stage from 50k to go! I kind of watched without audio. Sweet Jesus Remco shed 2 minutes and quickstep put Moviestar to shame on tactics

Hugh seemed ok at 5km then I tuned back in at 1km ... Just to see Bernal and Buchmann attacking?
Old 05-19-21, 05:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Wow can't wait to rewatch this stage from 50k to go! I kind of watched without audio. Sweet Jesus Remco shed 2 minutes and quickstep put Moviestar to shame on tactics
Old 05-20-21, 04:44 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

No predictions? Has this magnificent hot mess of a Giro finally beaten everyone down?

It certainly has taken a chunk out of me. I have no business making top 10 GC picks let alone pulling a rabbit out of a hat and a new winner out of a breakaway, perhaps on his maiden tour.

That's why I know Honore is going to win.
Old 05-20-21, 05:30 AM
GrainBrain

Still processing yesterday's stage! Bernal is looking incredible. João ... what happened? But was it right to have him go back for Remco? Remco never was supposed to be the favorite right? Just testing himself with no goals ... right?

EF looked incredible as a team! They (betiol) did an amazing job!!

Honoré a good choice, looks like he's gotten into an early break. Cycling mole mentioned maybe großschatner and Guierro/Betiol but I don't think we'll see anyone from a GC team trying. Caicedo crashed out yesterday so EF will probably keep the team safe for the big mountains.

Speaking of out ... Just at the start of this stage:
  • Soler
  • Mader
  • Demarchi and Dowset
  • Masnada!?

Yikes! Okay my prediction after seeing the current break - George Bennett. JV needs to salvage this Giro.
​​​​​​
Goosens out, m***** f*****!!!

Last edited by GrainBrain; 05-20-21 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-20-21, 11:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
No predictions? Has this magnificent hot mess of a Giro finally beaten everyone down?

It certainly has taken a chunk out of me. I have no business making top 10 GC picks let alone pulling a rabbit out of a hat and a new winner out of a breakaway, perhaps on his maiden tour.

That's why I know Honore is going to win.
pulled a space ghost and totally forgot. woulda been another horrrible prediction so...
Old 05-20-21, 11:46 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Still processing yesterday's stage! Bernal is looking incredible. João ... what happened? But was it right to have him go back for Remco? Remco never was supposed to be the favorite right? Just testing himself with no goals ... right?

Honoré a good choice, looks like he's gotten into an early break. Cycling mole mentioned maybe großschatner and Guierro/Betiol but I don't think we'll see anyone from a GC team trying. Caicedo crashed out yesterday so EF will probably keep the team safe for the big mountains.

• Soler
  • Mader
  • Demarchi and Dowset
  • Masnada!?

Yikes! Okay my prediction after seeing the current break - George Bennett. JV needs to salvage this Giro.
​​​​​​
yah...stage twelve coming for riders like a bounty hunter.
Old 05-20-21, 11:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

stage thirteen is prob nizzolo’s last/best chance to win a stage and he may be the fastest man left. let’s go with nizzy to pluck stage thirteen.
Old 05-20-21, 12:22 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

stage thirteen is prob nizzolo’s last/best chance to win a stage and he may be the fastest man left. let’s go with nizzy to pluck stage thirteen.
My head says "who is going to haul the break in to make it a sprint?"

But there are a lot of teams still looking to make a dent in the proceedings. And my heart screams:

Old 05-20-21, 06:06 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts

• Soler
  • Mader
  • Demarchi and Dowset
  • Masnada!?

​​​​​​
I'm not sure whether or not to feel reassured that Ineos got Egan's microdosing issues sorted out.
Old 05-20-21, 06:56 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm not sure whether or not to feel reassured that Ineos got Egan's microdosing issues sorted out.
Nobody is forcing you to watch.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-20-21, 07:32 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Nobody is forcing you to watch.
I refuse to let Brailsford ruin cycling for me.
Old 05-20-21, 07:38 PM
GrainBrain

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/s...o-ditalia-2021

Bernal was within reason, Guierro produced the most on the final gravel sector. In isolation, Bernal's bike handling was superb - him and Pogacar have real talent, like Pogacar's knack of reading a race at that young age.

The Giro has a passion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.