Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire conundrum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless tire conundrum

Old 05-24-21, 10:36 AM
1Lieutenant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Tubeless tire conundrum

Been having a problem with running tubeless tires on the rear wheel of my Lynskey R300 road bike.

I ride mostly rails to trails paved paths with limited road. My wheels are Mavic Ksyrium carbon wheels with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire. Previously this wheel had Mavic Yksion UST Pro II.

With both tires I developed multiple flats. Punctures through the tread, not slices and not very big. In each case, the sealant would work for a short period of time but with continued riding the leak would continue.

The initial Mavic Yksion 28 mm tire had Mavic sealant in it. I supplemented it each season with additional sealant. After multiple leaks with sealant spitting out of the puncture over the frame of my bike, I replaced the tire. It was not nearly worn out from tread wear.

I replaced this tire with the Schwalbe Pro One 30 mm tubeless and Muc Off sealant. The results were no different than the previous tire. A single puncture that will not seal and sealant spitting out over the frame. This tire has less than 300 miles on it!

First question, what am I doing wrong? Why aren't small punctures sealing? Second question, can I clean out all of the sealant, patch the internal side of the tire, and run a tube?

Prior to this bike and wheel combination, I was riding Scwalbe Ultremo ZX 25 mm tires with tubes at 85 PSI and never had a flat in thousands of miles

Last edited by 1Lieutenant; 05-24-21 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-24-21, 02:23 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
What's the size of the punctures? In what you're describing, it usually means the puncture or hole is too large. I'd recommend using a tubeless plug or patch kit to seal the hole then top off the sealant.

Otherwise worst case scenario is it clean it out and insert a tube to keep going.
Old 05-24-21, 04:40 PM
1Lieutenant

The puncture is no greater than 1 mm. Muc Off sealant supposedly can seal up to 6 mm. That is why I am puzzled.
Old 05-24-21, 06:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
There’s nothing magic about Ultremos, though Schwalbe did build them with a puncture resistant belt. That you did not have a puncture on that tire in thousands of miles is a matter of fortune primarily, because as I say, they are not magic, and they work like all other tires. Tire construction plays a role in preventing punctures, of course— not only belts, but other factors, too e.g. carcass material and tread thickness— but within the realm of lightweight sport rubber, where the variances aren’t that big, luck is the biggest factor by my estimation.

So your luck ran out and you’ve got a “punnie” in your high-zoot tire…yeah, the sealant should work. I don’t know anything about Muc Off other than that seem to be taking the market by storm recently, and perhaps that their chops seem to come from the MTB world. Is it possible that their sealant formulation is poorly suited to high-pressure road tires? I think it’s possible, but I don’t know. What I do know is that not all sealants work the same, something I know from personal experience in use and simple observation.

Therefore, given the inevitability of punctures and the variability of sealant performance, I’d suggest trying another sealant. I like Bontrager the most, but seem to be having good luck with Panaracer SealSmart. OrangeSeal was pretty good for HP road, but I didn’t like the way it aged. Joe’s Eco and Stan’s original collectively stank, but Stan’s Race might be cool. I suppose there are many other brands which would be recommended by other folks as well.

As mentioned upthread, use a plug to repair, try another sealant, and see what you get. I don’t think there is a sure-shot, unfortunately, to guard against every puncture and eventuality, so it’s down to trial and error…and luck.
Old 05-25-21, 07:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Try Orange Seal (regular, not Endurance or anything). Regardless of the tire, it's never failed to permanently plug 100% of my punctures 4mm or smaller (I've had to use bacon strips on a few punctures of ~5-6mm).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-21, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant
Second question, can I clean out all of the sealant, patch the internal side of the tire, and run a tube?
Sure, you could if you want to.

Remove the sealant, but there's no need to clean the inside of the tire - the stuff coating the tire weighs very, very little. Also, if you're going to run a tube, there's no reason to patch the the tire internally.

But I'd just use some known good sealant.
Old 05-25-21, 09:08 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant
Been having a problem with running tubeless tires on the rear wheel of my Lynskey R300 road bike.

I ride mostly rails to trails paved paths with limited road. My wheels are Mavic Ksyrium carbon wheels with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire. Previously this wheel had Mavic Yksion UST Pro II.

With both tires I developed multiple flats. Punctures through the tread, not slices and not very big. In each case, the sealant would work for a short period of time but with continued riding the leak would continue.

The initial Mavic Yksion 28 mm tire had Mavic sealant in it. I supplemented it each season with additional sealant. After multiple leaks with sealant spitting out of the puncture over the frame of my bike, I replaced the tire. It was not nearly worn out from tread wear.

I replaced this tire with the Schwalbe Pro One 30 mm tubeless and Muc Off sealant. The results were no different than the previous tire. A single puncture that will not seal and sealant spitting out over the frame. This tire has less than 300 miles on it!

First question, what am I doing wrong? Why aren't small punctures sealing? Second question, can I clean out all of the sealant, patch the internal side of the tire, and run a tube?

Prior to this bike and wheel combination, I was riding Scwalbe Ultremo ZX 25 mm tires with tubes at 85 PSI and never had a flat in thousands of miles
I'm using pro ones with muc-off sealant and never had a flat. Been using TL setup for the past 3 summers and only experienced one flat with my old setup (giant tires / giant sealant) because I rolled on broken glass... Perhaps the roads you are using are very dirty and/or full of debris? Also, at what pressure are you riding? If it's too high or too low, it might explain why.

Small punctures may not seal if the object that made the puncture is stuck in it. Otherwise, it should seal, especially with Muc-Off.

You can indeed patch it from the inside, put fresh sealant back and continue using the tire. There is no need to replace it unless the puncture is irreparable (long slash, big holes, etc.).
Old 05-25-21, 10:10 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
eduskator How do you find the muc-off sealant? Do you find that you have to replace it/refill very often? And yes, I realize this question may be dependant on things such as where you live, the frequency of riding, etc.
Old 05-26-21, 01:54 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
You could consider one of these:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ess-insert-kit

or:
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ss-co2-blaster

if you keep getting punctures. It would help keep you on the road and not need to pull the tire for repair.
Old 05-26-21, 11:25 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I've been using both Orange Endurance and Regular. I've had both seal up some slices, but neither held when going back up to "normal" pressure. I patched both from the inside, but have yet to re-mount them.

The only other issue I had was hitting a bump big enough to unseat the bead. I ended up putting a tube in it and finishing the last 50 miles of my ride. Post ride I pulled both tires only find that I hadn't been very diligent with my sealant refresh on that set of wheels/tires. both were bone dry.
I've since cleaned up the rims, and inside of the tires, re-seated and re-sealed with Orange Endurance. They're better now than the first time around in that they are holding air over a week.

(now that I have posted in this thread I am now queued up for a tubeless failure...)
Old 05-26-21, 11:31 AM
1Lieutenant

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to place a tube in the rear wheel but keep the front tubeless for now. Only downside is carrying both a spare tube and sealant.