Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Dauphine catch-all thread

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Dauphine catch-all thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 12:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Bala was showing his age in the TT but he's a spry young lad again today, mas o menos, with a little ayuda from the GC man MA Lopez. It being Movistar, I was waiting for that to implode but it didn't. Yet.

Perhaps tomorrow my faith in the unpopular Dark Blue Train juggernaut will be rewarded with VeloPoints. So far, only a little. Though I see ooga-booga will get a nice lift from TGH and remain a threat.

probably, but not in the way you think...
Old 06-05-21, 12:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

dauphiné stage seven...he's been super quiet but still in contention...going with (andicantbelieveimtypingthis) nairo for the win.
gaudu and guillaume martin def lurking tho.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-05-21 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-05-21, 03:20 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
^ a BOLD prediction, for sure. Horrible? Perhaps. Maybe even probably. Who am I kidding? Almost certainly. But let's give it some space, time to ripen, and maybe it will explode into grandeur. Gutsy move.
Old 06-06-21, 02:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

yeah, that prediction ripened a little too quickly. maybe gaudu or g martin can knock off stage eight but looking more likely richie will give it to g thomas while richie

keeps the overall for himself...a neat little one-two gc combo on the final overall leaderboard.
Old 06-06-21, 02:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
Even though it would pain my velostandings, I'd be happy to see Sepp make something happen. Hopefully not Seppuku - death by early mountain attack.

I was surprised both Porte and Thomas (less so) were a bit off the pace today. It should be an interesting climb.
that's a miggylo specialty...
Old 06-06-21, 05:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

a decent break afoot...

Break: Valentin Madouas (Groupama-FDJ), Guillaume Martin (Cofidis), Jonas Vingegaard (Jumbo-Visma), Jorge Arcas, Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Patrick Konrad, Nils Politt (Bora-Hansgrohe), Dorian Godon (AG2R Citroën), Warren Barguil (Arkéa Samsic), Harry Sweeny (Lotto Soudal), Mark Padun (Bahrain Victorious), Julien Bernard, Kenny Elissonde (Trek-Segafredo), Pierre Rolland, Franck Bonnamour (B&B Hotels p/b KTM), Sander Armée (Qhubeka Assos), Michael Valgren (EF Education-Nippo), Martijn Tusveld (Team DSM), Jan Bakelants (Intermarche-Wanty Gobert)

041130KM TO GO / 117KM DONEThe break are 1km from the intermediate sprint and not much further from the foot of the Joux Plane.
Old 06-06-21, 10:50 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
slcbob ooga-booga GrainBrain

Can someone... anyone... please explain the "End-Of-Tour" points on Velogames??

Doesn't matter if I'm leading the contest or last at the end, I always seem to get the least amount of points for EOT (even though I might do well in the final stage) and it drops me down in the standings. I was mid-pack in the Dauphine, and wound up dead last because of those points.
Old 06-06-21, 12:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

it’s all laid out under the “rules” > “scoring system” drop down menu. the end of your points smorgasbord is huge-esp for the gc guys. picking the guy that finishes first on the gc and actually finishes the race is roughly equivalent to 2.5 stage wins. the end of tour points are bigger for the gt’s than the weeklong stage races. to pick a guy like richie and/or gthomas and actually have them finish without crashing out (altho lord knows gthomas tried) and finish 1-2 on the final gc yields a ton of bonus points. lesser points for the higher ups in the points and kom competitions but still nothing to sneeze at.

nice overall win by slcbob. nothing ventured, nothing gained. drafted the evil ineos empire and got away with it. huge showings by kelderman and cobrelli.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-06-21, 02:17 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
it’s all laid out under the “rules” > “scoring system” drop down menu. the end of your points smorgasbord is huge-esp for the gc guys. picking the guy that finishes first on the gc and actually finishes the race is roughly equivalent to 2.5 stage wins. the end of tour points are bigger for the gt’s than the weeklong stage races. to pick a guy like richie and/or gthomas and actually have them finish without crashing out (altho lord knows gthomas tried) and finish 1-2 on the final gc yields a ton of bonus points. lesser points for the higher ups in the points and kom competitions but still nothing to sneeze at.

nice overall win by slcbob. nothing ventured, nothing gained. drafted the evil ineos empire and got away with it. huge showings by kelderman and cobrelli.
I thought I had looked everywhere for that explanation. Not sure why I didn't find it. I guess its like being at the grocery store and looking so hard for something, over and over, and the damn thing was right in front of ya.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-06-21, 03:37 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ it's interesting to go back and look at the rider standings after the race. It will change the way you pick. The top scorers are almost always the lead GC riders (even Bernal back when didn't take the lead until the very end, or any stage wins) and then that Sagan guy pops up somewhere in the single digits.

I figured out after a decade or so that the scoring system matters. Surprisingly, wait for it... it's how the scores are calculated.
Old 06-06-21, 09:30 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Watched the Dauphine on NBCSports. I have to say that after the Eurosports commentary on the Giro, it was pretty painful to listen to Steve Schlanger and Bobke. They're so...so...AMERICAN.

But enough of that. The real problem was on Stage 8, when the commentary was inexplicably not those two, but the excitable boy Rob Hatch [not Hatch, actually McCrossan, thanks slcbob], who's usually on Eurosport. What happened, NBC thought it was a 7 stage race and forgot to book Steve and Bob for the final day?

Anyway, Hatch's commentary was solid, as usual, but the audio mix was bad at the outset, hard to hear him over the music bed, and then, not far into the actual race, the French commentary came in at the same volume as Hatch. And it stayed that way for the entire rest of the show!

Why are we (pretty much) locked into this amateur ****show for cycling coverage in the US?

I work in film and video, and this was just embarrassing, technically and professionally.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-07-21 at 09:06 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-07-21, 03:31 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Yup. That was ridiculous. Though ridiculous things seem to happen in this sport. The cherry on top: I think that was the last day of NBC Sports Gold broadcasting before it disappears under the Peacock umbrella. They really went out with a bang.

That was Ant McCrossan on commentary. I don't know who the French guy was. Ant does a solid if monotone job. The French guy is about as good as Steve Schlanger. Probably better if you speak French.

When I heard him, I figured that meant Bob & Co. were over at the Tour de Suisse. Nope. That seems to be broadcast by FloSports now. I'm not paying $150 for their junk. So I'll be sad and live off YouTube highlights for a week.
Old 06-07-21, 06:21 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I wasn't able to catch the live feed of stage 8, so I had to wait for the replay on NBCSG, which DIDN"T AIR UNTIL AFTER 3:00 CDT!! My guess is they were trying to edit that **** show that was the stage 8 broadcast. I actually turned off the audio and played music while I watched. I will not be purchasing anything in the future on Peacock. I'll just go without.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 06-07-21, 06:00 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Right you are, it was McCrossan, of course. I thought 'Hatch' sounded a bit restrained! But then again we could barely hear him.

NBC should just give up. They notoriously have a tiny audience share for their cycling coverage, but they aren't doing us fans a favor by keeping it going in this pathetic way.

We were really spoiled by the Eurosport/GCN+ coverage of the Giro. Though from what I'm reading, that was an upgrade for them, too.

The pre- and post-race shows are great, Orla Chennaoui is an amazing host, clearly a huge cycling fan herself, and just having so many different people to comment, beforehand and during the race, is terrific. They all have their own perspective, so you don't get the same stuff over and over (yes Bob we know that Sepp Kuss is a young man from Durango, Colorado SINCE YOU TELL US THAT EVERY TIME HE IS ON CAMERA). And besides the very knowledgeable and opinionated commentary, the way everyone takes the piss (can I say that here?) out of each other adds a nice note of levity. And my wife notes that Orla's ever-changing outfits are their own amusing commentary.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-07-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 07:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The only thing I like about FloSports is that their Android app allows PiP while the GCN app is slower than slow* and can't even resume properly most of the time. Luckily, I bought a cheap lifetime sub to a VPN from a Cyber Monday deal, so I can watch GCN+/Eurosport coverage should I prefer their stream.

*: I've actually noticed that the GCN app loads significantly faster when I'm connected through a European VPN server. Their CDN setup must be completely screwed up.
Old 06-08-21, 08:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
^ Absolutely agree on the above NBC commentary. I do like McCrossan though, especially when he has a former pro working with him. I think it was Robbie McEwen... something maybe? They had a good dialogue and timing between the two. Usually I'd only watch the commercial free version that NBC would offer.

I love Bobke and the rest of the former pros insights (horner) but I hate to see them try and do the commentary themselves. I really prefer a dedicated media personality like Hatch or Kirby to narrate while the former pros add insight.

Been busy but have been watching highlights and reading comments. Great to see Craddock in mountain jersey for a day, and I loved Paduns interview after his win!
Likes For GrainBrain: