Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are Sore Legs Due To Age?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are Sore Legs Due To Age?

Old 05-28-21, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Sore legs? Are you on statins?
Old 05-28-21, 05:13 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Lots of good information here that may or may not solve your problem so I'll put in my two cents worth. It also may or may not solve your problem. Since I retired in 2011, I have been riding about 6 days a week and riding between 40 and 60 miles per ride. Unfortunately, this year has not been a very good year for riding and my normal 10,000+ miles/years has dropped to just over 7,000 miles to date. At 73, I'm quite a bit older than you and still able to do my mileage without any pain in my legs.I don't do any of the things suggested above other than make sure I'm well hydrated and drink electrolytes as needed. One thing I did notice is that a few years ago, it started getting harder and harder to pedal my bike to obtain the same output that I was doing previously and that led to occasional tired legs after rides longer than 60 miles.

This will probably cause a firestorm of pros and cons on the subject but last year (for Father's Day) my wife got me a set of titanium jockey wheels with ceramic bearings. This made a noticeable difference on the amount of effort needed to pedal the bike. So much so that I also replaced my bottom bracket bearings to ceramic and it was the best thing I ever did. Before the naysayers get started, you don't have to spend tons of money on ceramic bearings unless you opt to go with Ceramic Speed bearings. I purchased two Enduro,ceramic hybrid bearings from Wheels Mfg for $70.00/set. They're Grade 5 ceramic bearings with titanium nitrite coated races. While my wife spent quite a bit more on the SLF Motion jockey wheels, I ordered a pair of ceramic jockey wheels for my backup bike from OmniRacer for $49.95 (also Grade 5 and titanium nitrite coated). While these aren't quite as smooth as the SLF Motion jockey wheels, they made a noticeable difference on the backup bike.

In October, I completed my 6th Cross Florida Ride of 220 miles. It consisted of a 60 and back to back 80 mile days and over 3,000 ft of climbing over the length of the ride. For Florida, that's a lot of climbing. At the end of the ride, my legs felt as they did before I started the ride on day one. Pedaling is easier and smoother with less fatigue on the legs to obtain the same results that I was getting prior to changing bearings. My backup bike has a Hawk Racing bottom bracket on it; and while it's an awesome product, and they claim their BB is just as good as ceramic, it doesn't even come close.

This is my experience and you can take it for what it's worth but it's also something to consider, and maybe try, if nothing else seems to work for you.

PS: After getting ceramic bearings for my bike, I put a ceramic bottom bracket and a set of ceramic jockey wheels on my wife's recumbent trike and she has been thanking me ever since. I bought hers from OmniRace.
Ceramic bearings are certainly not going to cure sore legs! They can offer significant benefits in high speed industrial applications (like at 10,000 rpm under high loads) but they offer no real benefits at 80 rpm on a bicycle producing a couple of hundred lumpy Watts. Even the pro WT teams are split on this one.
If you experienced a major improvement then maybe your old bearings had simply seized up or it was just the good old placebo effect.
Old 05-28-21, 06:19 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
You're riding close to 700 miles a month pace. For me that starts adding up to really big mileage. Usually as I approach ~200miles a week in the summerI need to ramp up the sleeping to 9-10 hours a night or catch up with some naps on the weekend. Improvement in fitness comes as much from the rest and recovery as the the workout itself. So try ramping up your sleep. Most of us are eating enough (haha) but make sure you're not getting calories from too much junk or processed food and getting high quality proteins and carbohydrates.
Old 05-29-21, 02:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Okay, everybody. This has been hugely helpful. Thank you all so much.

Someone asked how long this has been an issue and it got me thinking. I used to rarely ride more than 35 miles at a time until, I don't know, maybe 4 weeks ago? A month and a-half maybe. Probably. But I lengthened my 'long' ride to maybe 50-80 miles on the weekends. I just figured, hey, I'm in fairly decent shape. I can climb and ride for a couple hours without issue. What's another hour or two? Those long rides are comfortable for me, I am not sore during the ride. But I am tired at the end, which I almost never am if I've only ridden like, 35-40 miles, say. Those long rides, I feel them in terms of fatigue right away.
Maybe you simply ramped up the mileage too quickly? Also pay attention to feeding on the bike when you are out for more than a couple of hours. A quality protein shake straight after your long ride would be a good idea too.
If it's just your quads that are sore, maybe your saddle height is not quite right. I know you said you had a pro fit, but these things tend to be iterative. I tweak my saddle height quite often and some pros are known to adjust their saddle height with fatigue in stage races. It could just be a little on the low side if your quads are suffering while your hams are fine. It's a pretty fine balance.
Old 05-30-21, 06:11 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I ride around 1k miles a month and I’m 67. I ride 4 days a week. The key is conditioning. And napping. Never forget napping.
Likes For BCAC:
Old 06-07-21, 03:01 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
After riding a 200k brevet hard my legs feel "heavy", but not sore. After such a ride I'll wear compression socks for 24 hours. I think it makes a difference in how quickly my legs recover.
I like the compression socks that go from ankle to below the knee, and not the ones that cover the foot; they are much easier to put on.
I do not ride with compression socks.
Old 06-07-21, 04:36 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Being a life long runner and cyclist I can say my legs get sore running but generally not sore riding. I do have issues at times with the muscles cramping after long depleting rides and running tends not to do that. To be fair my running days are not some much due to having runner's dystonia which is not an injury but a neurological problem. Yes I forgot how to run it is a long story.

But on the cycling end I have always been able to ride pretty much what I want without legs actually getting sore. My butt can bet sore in places sometimes the at the insertion of the hamstring and butt but not sore legs. Running on the other hand after hitting the pavement on a 10 mile run can cause the quads to be sore and a race would for sure but I cannot race that is for sure. Cycling I think as long as you keep at it and do not stop for a length of time you should be ok not some much sore. Maybe the first hard ride after long winter but indoor trainer will prevent that.
Old 06-07-21, 08:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Leg soreness, a personal data point.

Today began week 12 of my get off the couch and back into shape adventure.

My quads have been at least slightly sore since the first week, but nothing to impact my riding.

Today I did a 17-mile climb. Legs were pretty heavy at the summit, but not bad at all. No increase in soreness tonight, just a little DOMS tenderness.

I don’t recall quad soreness from cycling in my 40s, but back then I wasn’t doing get off the couch and get back in shape adventures, either.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-08-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 10:28 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
An Advil pill with breakfast has made a BIG difference to my legs. My biggest problem is always getting dehydrated. Takes 2 days to recover. I carry 3 water and a Gatorade on all centuries. About all I ever eat is fast food. LOL.
This year all I did was 20 to 45 milers in the city, until last weekend. Then I just decided to do a 103 mile ride. I struggled after 20 miles, mostly because of the 2 o'clock wind for 50 miles. This was with a 40 lb roadster and Nexus 7i roller brake. What a drag that hub is.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-09-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-21, 10:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
My biggest problem is always getting dehydrated. Takes 2 days to recover. I carry 3 water and a Gatorade on all centuries.
Try some of this on you next long and/or hot ride. It’s the optimal rehydration solution:

https://www.dripdrop.com/

I use it whenever it’s hot, really keeps me from getting dehydrated.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-08-21, 10:48 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Looks interesting.
Old 06-08-21, 10:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, DripDrop. Best I've found and I've tried pretty much all of 'em. I've given some to other cyclists I've encountered who were suffering heat exhaustion and they recovered within 15 minutes. One fellow said he only used plain water, but admitted he felt better after the mix with DripDrop.

The other was a woman who passed out and vomited from heat exhaustion. She said she'd taken plain salt pills earlier that day. Bad pookie -- salt tabs are an obsolete treatment and often make things worse. She also felt better within 15 minutes of drinking fresh water with DripDrop.

The ingredients are nothing special -- pretty much the same stuff used by most makers of electrolytes. But DripDrop has really nailed the right combination of ingredients, flavor, sweetness and texture. It uses just a little sugar, which enhances absorption. The worst I can say about it is it's a bit bland, but you also don't notice anything about the flavor or texture. Not too sweet, no cloying or bitter artificial flavor, no chalky texture like NUUN tablets.

And it comes in single serve weatherproof/sweatproof Mylar packets, so it stays dry even when my jersey pocket is soaked in sweat, or if I left it in a seat bag that was drenched in rain.

Costs about the same as NUUN, Hammer, pretty much all the usual suspects, other than Propel which is really cheap but not quite as good.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-08-21, 11:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Old thread, but... for me (age 63) sore legs or any muscles are usually due to going too long without exercising that part of the body. Resuming exercise a bit too vigorously causes micro-tears in muscle -- according to the current conventional wisdom, which says it's not "lactic acid" buildup. In fact the more recent conventional wisdom says that while lactate buildup causes heavy legs and temporary muscle fatigue, it also serves as a fuel. So if we ease up on the effort but continue pedaling (or jogging, walking, whatever), the body will use that lactate as fuel.

Subject to change with new research, I suppose.

I've done more jogging than cycling this year. So when I got back on the bike last week I immediately felt some minor soreness in the muscles along the front of the lower leg and upper feet. I tend to spin more than mash on that particular bike, so I was probably unconsciously pulling upward a bit more than on my other bike with longer cranks that nudge me into mashing downward rather than spinning. I walked and jogged slowly over the weekend and the minor soreness cleared up quickly.

I usually do some pushups every day but I've skipped a couple of weeks. So it'll be sore again when I resume doing pushups. Even if I can still do the same number of pushups despite lack of recent exercise, the muscles won't be adapted so they'll get sore again. And performance will decrease until the soreness clears up and I continue or increase my reps.
Old 06-09-21, 02:22 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I'm a bit late to this thread. But I feel the same way. While my legs are not in pain, they do feel tired all the time. I get on the bike, a few miles in, and they feel great. Two days after a ride, walking up stairs to the second floor of the company I work, I can feel my legs.
I forced myself during Memorial weekend to not ride. And when I did, it was with someone who rides only a 12mph pace. I needed that break. But break time is over, and my legs feel it again.