Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Any of you convert a mountain bike into a cruiser?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Any of you convert a mountain bike into a cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 11:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
That was a mtb? I wish I could find one of those hossack forks. I'd consider that a street fighter with the gearing, even with the fork on it. Iove that bike.
Thanks, yeah its got vintage MTB geometry. In the mid 90s, there was a brief fad with cruiser-esque frames. The most desirable was the Newsboy, but Retrotec made nice steel ones also. This one is Al, with a Girvin fork.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-23-21, 12:37 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
With the springy Brooks and more upright bars its pretty cruiserier.
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-23-21, 08:45 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
With the springy Brooks and more upright bars its pretty cruiserier.
I’d trade my Electra Fat Tire for one .
I rode one of my Electra Cruiser 1’s yesterday , only a mile , around the neighborhood, and my knees hurt today . I don’t think my knees like the pedal forward cranks .
Edit : I figured out it wasn’t the pedal forward geometry hurting my knees . I raised my saddle and moved it forward and now I’m back to riding them .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 09-06-21 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-24-21, 03:33 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Thanks, yeah its got vintage MTB geometry. In the mid 90s, there was a brief fad with cruiser-esque frames. The most desirable was the Newsboy, but Retrotec made nice steel ones also. This one is Al, with a Girvin fork.
I just found a girvin and I hope I can weasel in as the last bidder. I have a cranbrook I want to make a klunker. I also want it to analyze it, so I can make my own for my 80 Garelli SSXL future build. I forgot they were called girvin, my mind went to hossack suspension lol. It's similar, but a girvin is considered a type of girder fork.
Old 06-24-21, 08:16 AM
ed h

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
I recently picked up a 1996 Gary Fisher Klunker. This bike is a replica of Gary Fishers mid 1970s mountain bike, which started out as a 1930s Schwinn single speed. At the time Gary Fisher added front and rear gearing, as the original single speed bikes were not suited for climbing hills, most often the single speeds had to be pushed up a hill.
So basically what I have here could be considered a mountain bike that's already a cruiser. So far I changed just the pedals, seat and handlebars. The 1996 model came with a leather Brooks B-17 seat and also very swept back handlebars, neither of which I found to be comfortable.

1996 Gary Fisher Klunker
Likes For ed h:
Old 06-24-21, 09:18 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
I’d trade my Electra Fat Tire for one .
I rode one of my Electra Cruiser 1’s yesterday , only a mile , around the neighborhood, and my knees hurt today . I don’t think my knees like the pedal forward cranks .

I haven’t noticed an issue with the pedal forward on my knees vs the Fatty. I sold my Single Speed cruiser because it hurt to brake. The backpedaling and braking was painful.

That and having the low gears is a must. It’s awkward to stand up and pedal on the cruiser and again my knees won’t take it so I can sit and just spin.

All that said with the wider springy Brooks and the handle bars up and in a bit it’s not as upright as the Electra but close and super comfortable.

it is slow though. I have the tires at 15 psi which is on the higher end and it still requires more work to keep it at speed. If it had slicks like your 7D Fat it would probably roll really nice but I don’t have a lot of pavement where I live and they would defeat the purpose here.

All in all really happy with the bike and it does come in sizes. SML.
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-24-21, 12:34 PM
OldCruiser

I haven’t noticed an issue with the pedal forward on my knees vs the Fatty. I sold my Single Speed cruiser because it hurt to brake. The backpedaling and braking was painful.

That and having the low gears is a must. It’s awkward to stand up and pedal on the cruiser and again my knees won’t take it so I can sit and just spin.
I’ve adjusted the saddle on my bikes higher , almost 2” on some bikes , to where the knee pain has gotten better , until I raised the saddle on one of Electra C1’s and moved the saddle as far forward as possible to try to eliminate the pedal forward position and after riding only a mile , my knees told me me to stop .
As long as I ride a traditional pedal position bike , my knees were getting better .
It may possibly be the changing positions , riding different bikes that could be the problem .
I need to pick one style and stick with it .
I’ve tried every saddle position I can think of with the Electras and my Specialized Roll, and I’m about to give up and get them all ready to sell .
As far gearing , on my C1’s I have 24 tooth rear cogs on them and they are very easy to pedal . The Roll has a 30 tooth chainring, it too is very easy to pedal .
Old 06-24-21, 01:52 PM
JehD

I’ve adjusted the saddle on my bikes higher , almost 2” on some bikes , to where the knee pain has gotten better , until I raised the saddle on one of Electra C1’s and moved the saddle as far forward as possible to try to eliminate the pedal forward position and after riding only a mile , my knees told me me to stop .
As long as I ride a traditional pedal position bike , my knees were getting better .
It may possibly be the changing positions , riding different bikes that could be the problem .
I need to pick one style and stick with it .
I’ve tried every saddle position I can think of with the Electras and my Specialized Roll, and I’m about to give up and get them all ready to sell .
As far gearing , on my C1’s I have 24 tooth rear cogs on them and they are very easy to pedal . The Roll has a 30 tooth chainring, it too is very easy to pedal .
Too bad, you have some nice bikes.. But if you have to sell its probably a good time as bikes can still be hard to find so you could get a good price for them. It also cheaper to find a bike that works than getting new knees.
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-24-21, 05:27 PM
OldCruiser

Too bad, you have some nice bikes.. But if you have to sell its probably a good time as bikes can still be hard to find so you could get a good price for them. It also cheaper to find a bike that works than getting new knees.
I enjoyed my Electras before I realized what was going on on .
I have a Few bikes that were made back in the early 90’s that seem to be working good for me at the moment, including my Specialized Hardrock.
Wish I could find a couple more frames in this era , but the bike shortage has eliminated that .
You can see the black mark on the seatpost where I first raised my saddle . Once I found the correct height , I put a piece of tape around the post to let me know if the post slips .

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-25-21, 10:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I use the "standard" method of determining seatpost height and orientation by pedaling backwards with my heel on the pedal and raising the seat until my knee is straight, then putting the pedals at 3/9 o'clock and determining seat front/back by dropping a "plumb" from the knot below my knee until it bisects the pedal spindle. Works really well for me. Of course, you need to modify for coaster brakes.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-25-21, 04:33 PM
OldCruiser

SS MTB , or Cruiser ? Put this one together today , Someday I hope try it out off road .
Has rear coaster brake .

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-25-21, 04:50 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
SS MTB , or Cruiser ? Put this one together today , Someday I hope try it out off road .
Has rear coaster brake .

I like that.
I have the same pedals for my kids bike. Will finish putting bike together next couple days so haven’t used yet.
Old 06-26-21, 10:39 AM
OldCruiser

Swapped the wheelset out for a blue set with Michelin Country Rock tires . The tires are more cruiser .
Calling this my “Spin-Cycle” . 30 Chainring with a 22 tooth cog . Turned it into a goat on hills .

Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-26-21, 11:23 AM
2old

Kirby, neat bike; try 32/20. It was a perfect gear for me off road for about 20 years when I rode SS almost exclusively. 30/22 is about 9.5 mph @ 90 rpm but who says you need to go faster?
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-26-21, 12:54 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
kirby999 your bikes all look great but I am curious to know if you ever have hand, shoulder or neck discomfort when you ride them.
Old 06-26-21, 02:00 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
kirby999 your bikes all look great but I am curious to know if you ever have hand, shoulder or neck discomfort when you ride them.
My hands do give me problems, arthritis , especially the left hand .
I have more aches and pains from working on my bikes than I do from riding them .
But I don’t plan on stopping either . 😎

Last edited by OldCruiser; 06-26-21 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-26-21, 03:01 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by 2old
Kirby, neat bike; try 32/20. It was a perfect gear for me off road for about 20 years when I rode SS almost exclusively. 30/22 is about 9.5 mph @ 90 rpm but who says you need to go faster?
32/20 on 26’s?
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-26-21, 03:15 PM
2old

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
32/20 on 26’s?
Yes; for me this was a good balance since the terrain was pretty hilly. Plus, the GT Zaskar had a "magic ratio" with the configuration and I didn't need a tension device. I would run 32/19 with tension for a couple of rides when the chain was changed, then switch to 32/20, no device. When the chain was worn, repeat. Then I got old.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-26-21, 04:23 PM
OldCruiser

30/22 for me right now . May even go to a 30/24 , especially on the MTB tires .
It’s all about easy pedaling and spinning .
I was recently diagnosed with AFib and the cardiologist told me to cut back on my biking and to take it easy , to not stress myself , until they run some tests on me to determine my treatment.
This SS seems easier than my geared bikes . Just takes a little getting use too .
Definitely a more laid back style of riding .
I’m enjoying it .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 06-27-21, 10:37 AM
2old

Take it easy. I've discovered (and maybe you have too) that you have as much fun riding slowly as before when you were faster, plus you get more saddle time for the same distance.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-28-21, 05:41 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Some lowly bastich just outbid and stole that fork out from under me. I'm so pissed.
Old 07-01-21, 11:47 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
I struck Craigslist gold a couple of weeks ago when I found this nearly flawless early 90's Giant ATX 760 for $45. I put one of my saddles, a single speed conversion kit and an old single speed crank on it and I kind of like the result.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 07-01-21 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 07-01-21, 12:50 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I struck Craigslist gold a couple of weeks ago when I found this nearly flawless early 90's Giant ATX 760 for $45. I put one of my saddles, a single speed conversion kit and an old single speed crank on it and I kind of like the result.

Nice! I'm doing similar with my mid 90s Giant CFM-4.
Old 07-01-21, 02:25 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Nice!
CL around here clogged up with dealers and just garbage.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-05-21, 06:49 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 236 Posts

2001 Kona FireMountain 1x8 table tops and Surly Sunrise Bars
Likes For victorm:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.