Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

New Wabi Pro crankset coming

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-23-21, 02:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

They just posted it on their FB. I'll be buying a silver one as soon as it's on their website, I don't even care what it costs. I've been looking for a silver Omnium forever but those were discontinued.

https://www.facebook.com/WabiCyclesUS/

Wabi, I know you read these threads. You rule.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 06-23-21, 10:34 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
What is a 1/8" crankset?
I would prefer it came without a chainring.
Old 06-23-21, 11:12 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I mean, it's an Andel crank. You can buy one right now if you want.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 06-23-21, 03:36 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by seau grateau
I mean, it's an Andel crank. You can buy one right now if you want.
I have the Andel my Wabi came with. I just looked it up and realized they have the "Deluxe" crankset with an outboard bottom bracket. I would have got it a long time ago if I knew haha. I'd rather have one with no logo, I'll see how much they end up costing.
Old 06-23-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Old Scrodzilla has had these in his web store for a while:
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...-crankset-w-bb

I got excited for a second thinking maybe they had a new different crankset that would be nice but it is just another Andel, not a bad thing at all just nothing to write home about.
Old 06-23-21, 09:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
The "new" Wabi crankset is the Andel Racing model which is not the same as the Deluxe model, and appears to be better quality >>> ANDEL ENTERPRISE CO.,LTD.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-28-21, 03:37 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Yes, it is the Andel track/racing series crankset (while our standard one is the Andel R-series crankset). Wanted to offer up a good midrange option (esp with the Omnium gone) that can fit all of our frames (as that bottom bracket can have a spacer to clear the drive side chain stay). Biggest complaint we get is the crankset limitations on the Classic/Thunder given the clearance issues (which was an original design decision) so this solves that - plus a good all-silver crankset optiom.

Also, it will only be a $140 upgrade on builds so it is a pretty good deal.

And, yes, it is a little different than the 'Andel Deluxe'.

Last edited by wabi_damon; 06-28-21 at 03:56 PM.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 06-29-21, 02:33 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Yes, it is the Andel track/racing series crankset (while our standard one is the Andel R-series crankset). Wanted to offer up a good midrange option (esp with the Omnium gone) that can fit all of our frames (as that bottom bracket can have a spacer to clear the drive side chain stay). Biggest complaint we get is the crankset limitations on the Classic/Thunder given the clearance issues (which was an original design decision) so this solves that - plus a good all-silver crankset optiom.

Also, it will only be a $140 upgrade on builds so it is a pretty good deal.

And, yes, it is a little different than the 'Andel Deluxe'.
I'm about to order a silver one but have a question. It reads "This crankset is compatible with Classics and Thunders with the use of a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side."

Does a Special need a spacer? And I assume a spacer doesn't come with the cranks? Just want to know if I need to order one separately.
Old 06-30-21, 10:20 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

I know we solved this via email, but for others interest. No, a spacer isn't needed for the Special (or Lightning). The Special has a different chain stay design (ovalized and curved) than the Classic and Thunder so it doesn't have clearance issues. That frame can take almost any crankset (that I know of). We just call out the Classic and Thunder as they both are limited to crankset options due to their design.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-05-21, 02:43 PM
Lazyass

Got the new drivetrain installed today. The ring is almost perfectly round, just one slight tight spot that was hard to detect. A lot better than the ring on the standard cranks. Looks really good.

Old 07-06-21, 02:38 AM
Lazyass

I took it on a ride and it's amazing what kind of difference a good chainring is. On my other bike I've had three different rings and then I had the standard one on the Wabi. All had bad tight spots and I could never get the proper tension with 1/2in of slack. I would have to have them looser or I would get bad chain noise coming from the freewheel when the tight spot hit.

With this one the chain is tight all around but it's totally silent, it even feels different. And I like the 1/8 chain, you can tell it's stronger than a 3/32. I wish I could buy this Andel ring individually but I don't see them for sale anywhere.
Old 07-06-21, 07:05 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Got the new drivetrain installed today. The ring is almost perfectly round, just one slight tight spot that was hard to detect. A lot better than the ring on the standard cranks. Looks really good.

Nice upgrade. Wished they would sell just the chainrings
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 07-07-21, 02:35 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Nice upgrade. Wished they would sell just the chainrings
Yeah I searched for them and they don't seem to be sold separately. I finally have the proper 1/2in of slack all around and I can feel how more responsive it is but still very quiet. I like the beefier 1/8 chain also.

I screwed up and cut the chain one link too short and my 27mm tires wouldn't clear so I had to go back to 23mm But I'm probably ordering a tubular wheelset next month and planned on 23's anyway.
Old 07-07-21, 08:23 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Yeah I searched for them and they don't seem to be sold separately. I finally have the proper 1/2in of slack all around and I can feel how more responsive it is but still very quiet. I like the beefier 1/8 chain also.

I screwed up and cut the chain one link too short and my 27mm tires wouldn't clear so I had to go back to 23mm But I'm probably ordering a tubular wheelset next month and planned on 23's anyway.
If they do sell them separately, I'll bite. My current Andel ring has a spot which has gotten noticeably tighter after 2k miles of riding . . . I know jay4usc had a thread about the ovalized chainrings. I also realize chainrings don't get more oval as they get ridden but I swear it wasn't that obvious when the ring was new.

On a separate note, how much clearance between the crankarms and chainstays does this new crankset give you (compared to the old model)? Both Omnoms and the classic Andel only give me about 1mm of clearance, hoping for something that'll get me at least 2-3mm.
Old 07-08-21, 02:49 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by sdimattia
On a separate note, how much clearance between the crankarms and chainstays does this new crankset give you (compared to the old model)? Both Omnoms and the classic Andel only give me about 1mm of clearance, hoping for something that'll get me at least 2-3mm.
The pic is my Special and I measured 4mm to the inside edge of the tooth. Plenty of clearance.

On their website it states that the Classic and Thunder require a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. When I ordered the cranks I actually sent an email asking about it to make sure I didn't need one. I got a reply in about 2 minutes (like always) and was told I did not need one, the Special has a different chainstay design.

Old 07-08-21, 09:57 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by sdimattia
If they do sell them separately, I'll bite. My current Andel ring has a spot which has gotten noticeably tighter after 2k miles of riding . . . I know jay4usc had a thread about the ovalized chainrings. I also realize chainrings don't get more oval as they get ridden but I swear it wasn't that obvious when the ring was new.

you should check out the Blackspire chainring. Pretty round compared to the Andel ring and I only paid $60.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 07-08-21, 04:42 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Glad you like it. No separate chainrings at this point, but we'll look into it as we get feedback on this crankset. It just opens up a bit of a Pandora's box on how many chainrings we then need to carry in different sizes and finishes.
Old 07-08-21, 05:14 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Glad you like it. No separate chainrings at this point, but we'll look into it as we get feedback on this crankset. It just opens up a bit of a Pandora's box on how many chainrings we then need to carry in different sizes and finishes.
If you can get the chainrings will you be getting them in 3/32?
Old 07-08-21, 05:29 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

If you can get the chainrings will you be getting them in 3/32?
Good question. We'll have to look at it and see what makes sense to carry. Between 1/8" and 3/32", all the chainring sizes and the finishes, it can get out of hand. Plus, suppliers can have high minimum order quantities. We still sit on years of inventory for certain stock chainring sizes as we have to order so many at one time.
Old 07-08-21, 06:34 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Good question. We'll have to look at it and see what makes sense to carry. Between 1/8" and 3/32", all the chainring sizes and the finishes, it can get out of hand. Plus, suppliers can have high minimum order quantities. We still sit on years of inventory for certain stock chainring sizes as we have to order so many at one time.
if these chainrings are rounder compared to the stock andel rings sold with the bikes, I’m confident you will sell them. Especially for 3/32 144bcd rings bc our options are very limited.
Old 07-09-21, 02:45 AM
Lazyass

If they manage to sell the rings individually someday they'll be the only ones I buy. IMO the ring alone is enough reason to upgrade from the standard to the Pro if someone orders a bike. They do feel stiffer out of the saddle as well. I weighed each on my scale and the difference was negligible. With the BB and crank bolts included the Pro was 996g and the standard one my bike came with was 1005 but of course the Pro has a bigger 48T.

One minor complaint it took me a couple of days to see is the finish on the inside of the arms. The NDS is painted a flat silver and has a rough texture. The DS is a little more polished and feels smooth but it's not something that anybody checking out your bike would notice. The next time I have the cranks off I'll probably wet sand and polish the insides, that'll look pretty sharp.
Old 07-09-21, 05:15 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
...Especially for 3/32 144bcd rings bc our options are very limite...
I am all for more variety in 3/32 144bcd rings...
Old 12-13-21, 02:53 AM
Lazyass

As much as I love the ring the 48T has been a hair too big and I decided to go back to a 46. I have an All City 3/32 on my other bike and it's okay but it does have a fairly bad tight spot like every other ring I've had. But I rolled the dice and got an All City 1/8 for the Wabi and it's just as good as the Pro ring. Only a very minuscule tight spot, the drivetrain is still dead quiet.

Now I'm wondering if 1/8 chains just have fewer issues with this than a smaller 3/32? Or maybe it's just the KMC K1SL Wide chain is better? I may switch to it on my other bike now. All my 3/32 chains and rings have an annoying noise because I can't get the perfect tension all the way around.

Old 12-13-21, 08:45 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
As much as I love the ring the 48T has been a hair too big and I decided to go back to a 46. I have an All City 3/32 on my other bike and it's okay but it does have a fairly bad tight spot like every other ring I've had. But I rolled the dice and got an All City 1/8 for the Wabi and it's just as good as the Pro ring. Only a very minuscule tight spot, the drivetrain is still dead quiet.

Now I'm wondering if 1/8 chains just have fewer issues with this than a smaller 3/32? Or maybe it's just the KMC K1SL Wide chain is better? I may switch to it on my other bike now. All my 3/32 chains and rings have an annoying noise because I can't get the perfect tension all the way around.
It’s the brand and model of chain that matters, not the width. I’ve had both 3/32” and 1/8” chains that were terrible and others that were great. The KMC K1SL chain falls into the great category, very smooth running and very long lasting. It’s also a real bargain. One caveat, however, once you’ve shortened this chain, it’s virtually impossible to add any of the links back, so make sure you don’t remove too many links. Your only option is to add links from a different chain or half links.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-14-21, 01:43 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
It’s the brand and model of chain that matters, not the width. I’ve had both 3/32” and 1/8” chains that were terrible and others that were great. The KMC K1SL chain falls into the great category, very smooth running and very long lasting. It’s also a real bargain. One caveat, however, once you’ve shortened this chain, it’s virtually impossible to add any of the links back, so make sure you don’t remove too many links. Your only option is to add links from a different chain or half links.
Already did that haha. This is my second K1SL. The first one I removed one too many links and when I switched from a 23mm to a 26mm tire I didn't have enough clearance at the seat tube. But that first chain will work now that I have a smaller chainring so I have it for a spare.