Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I put this on Substack for what it's worth.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-08-21, 03:18 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts

[size=13px]I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age. [/size]

I had a great local doctor who was also a runner and he suggested that when the joints and ligaments began to become an issue I should go to the bicycle. I took that advice in spades. Since I had already made the choice not to use tobacco, alcohol, or weed, I had plenty of money to buy my first high quality racing bicycle in 1994 marked down from $1,800 to $1,000 because it was too small for most riders. At 5’5 and 125 pounds, it fit me perfectly.

I still have that bike, but I have not ridden it in years. My number one bike set me back north of $7,000 in 2013 and my rain bike cost me $5,000 in 2008. Sound like a lot of money? Not really. Try paying for heart surgery or fighting lung cancer. As a person of libertarian mind, I believe people should be able to choose the way they live, and I make no judgements, I just play the odds. Those bikes I invested in have produced returns that exceed anything I may have missed by not drinking, abusing drugs, and smoking. At 74 it’s all right there in my bloodwork; they told me to come back next year.

Shall we get to a deeper point here? Not long ago there were five bike shops within easy driving distance for area residents. Now four of them have closed and the one that is left is having trouble with inventory. I bought them out of road tires this spring. I know I can get stuff off the internet but why are local bike shops disappearing? Could it be because they are considered non-essential? This is an interesting question because the governors of all the states in the country have decided that liquor stores are essential businesses that must be kept going during a global health crisis.

I have scoured all the search engines for information suggesting that liquor stores have contributed to the health of the nation and increased lifespans, but I keep coming up empty. What I have found is that ten percent of the drinkers drink ninety percent of the alcohol and this is the demographic that is likely fighting for space on the roads with me during the current pandemic because they are being paid not to work.

Talk about the best of times and the worst of times. I worked for fifty-five years so I could ride my bike on sparse roads during work hours and now I’m out there with slobs in pickup trucks revving their engines and cutting me off because I am in their way while they are headed to support their favorite essential business in the middle of the day. Thanks to leadership in this country the odds for me just got worse which could explain why I am not seeing too many other bikes out there this year.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 07-08-21, 03:23 PM
Ray9

Don't know it did that: here it is again:

I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age.

I had a great local doctor who was also a runner and he suggested that when the joints and ligaments began to become an issue I should go to the bicycle. I took that advice in spades. Since I had already made the choice not to use tobacco, alcohol, or weed, I had plenty of money to buy my first high quality racing bicycle in 1994 marked down from $1,800 to $1,000 because it was too small for most riders. At 5’5 and 125 pounds, it fit me perfectly.

I still have that bike, but I have not ridden it in years. My number one bike set me back north of $7,000 in 2013 and my rain bike cost me $5,000 in 2008. Sound like a lot of money? Not really. Try paying for heart surgery or fighting lung cancer. As a person of libertarian mind, I believe people should be able to choose the way they live, and I make no judgements, I just play the odds. Those bikes I invested in have produced returns that exceed anything I may have missed by not drinking, abusing drugs, and smoking. At 74 it’s all right there in my bloodwork; they told me to come back next year.

Last edited by Ray9; 07-08-21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 03:28 PM
Ray9

I keep trying to delete it but it won't delete
Old 07-08-21, 03:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ll be 70 at the end of the year, Lord willing.

My only piece of advice, now might be a good time to start enjoying life.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-08-21, 03:31 PM
Ray9

Third time a charm?

I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age.

Shall we get to a deeper point here? Not long ago there were five bike shops within easy driving distance for area residents. Now four of them have closed and the one that is left is having trouble with inventory. I bought them out of road tires this spring. I know I can get stuff off the internet but why are local bike shops disappearing? Could it be because they are considered non-essential? This is an interesting question because the governors of all the states in the country have decided that liquor stores are essential businesses that must be kept going during a global health crisis.

I have scoured all the search engines for information suggesting that liquor stores have contributed to the health of the nation and increased lifespans, but I keep coming up empty. What I have found is that ten percent of the drinkers drink ninety percent of the alcohol and this is the demographic that is likely fighting for space on the roads with me during the current pandemic because they are being paid not to work.

Talk about the best of times and the worst of times. I worked for fifty-five years so I could ride my bike on sparse roads during work hours and now I’m out there with slobs in pickup trucks revving their engines and cutting me off because I am in their way while they are headed to support their favorite essential business in the middle of the day. Thanks to leadership in this country the odds for me just got worse which could explain why I am not seeing too many other bikes out there this year.
Old 07-08-21, 03:45 PM
Ray9

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ll be 70 at the end of the year, Lord willing.

My only piece of advice, now might be a good time to start enjoying life.

John
I enjoy cycling; it has been good to me.
Old 07-08-21, 03:51 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Ray9
I enjoy cycling; it has been good to me.
Cycling has been good to me too. I probably meet your a lot of your criteria, but I don’t want to waste my time on all that stuff.

I know too many old people who have squandered their lives complaining, especially about politics, and now all their hobbies are gone.

John
Old 07-08-21, 04:05 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Ray, you CLEARLY feel that you are superior to 95% of Americans. What gives you the right? No, that's incorrect. You certainly have the right. What gives you the very idea in the first place?! Know what 'virtue signalling' is? Google it. It's not a good look. It's never a good look.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-08-21, 04:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts

[size=13px]I am one of those people you see out on the roads on two wheels keeping to the right and playing the odds that I will not be hit by a distracted driver or taken out by a speeder towing a trailer. I take those odds because since 1983 when I began switching from running to cycling, I have benefitted greatly in terms of health and wellbeing. Running was great and I was doing well racing with 10k times in the low 30-minute range but stress fractures and disc herniations were sending messages that impact was not my friend as I entered middle age. [/size]

Don't know it did that: here it is again:

Third time a charm?

I too like to ride my bike!
Old 07-08-21, 04:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Nice political diatribe disguised as something else.
Old 07-08-21, 05:56 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Thinly veiled politics.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-08-21, 06:54 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

Bike shops in Seattle were essential services. I don't know about where you are. I am guessing as a Libertarian, they have a right to drink and hit you and you have a right to sue them?
Old 07-08-21, 07:00 PM
Ray9

Cycling is about to get much more expensive. My guess is the tune is going to change when that happens.
Old 07-08-21, 07:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Thinly veiled politics.
I reported it.
Old 07-08-21, 07:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kahn
Bike shops in Seattle were essential services.
Same here in Philly, and they were very busy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-21, 07:36 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Ugh. Sigh.
Old 07-08-21, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
All we are missing is the OP’s annual income and stock portfolio. Care to share?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-08-21, 10:32 PM
70sSanO

This is why I hate being around old people.

Their lives suck so they want to suck the life out of everyone else.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-09-21, 05:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
OP, how can we sign up for your blog? https://substack.com/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-09-21, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OP, how can we sign up for your blog? https://substack.com/
Well, it is open to "every size and shape." Wonder what the blog about "books/snacks/softcore" is like.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-09-21, 07:00 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
Nb4tl
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 07-09-21, 07:01 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
I’m wondering how many paid subscribers one can expect with articles such as what we’re sampling here.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-09-21, 07:04 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This is why I hate being around old people.

Their lives suck so they want to suck the life out of everyone else.

John
I’m an old person, but I love this comment!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-09-21, 07:38 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I'm an old guy, too, and just got more life sucked out of me by the OP. I was having so much fun that I didn't realize my life was not adequate. Do we get do-overs?
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 07-09-21, 07:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
So are you just saying that you like to ride your bike and liquor stores are ruining peoples lives and LBS's are going out of business and people are getting less healthy?

If so, why did you make me read all that extra verbose way of saying that several times?
Likes For Iride01:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.